Gardening

Gracii Guns

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Alaskans are more my neighbour than NY who I am 100k from. Because we both understand winter! :headbang: But like I was saying earlier, our winter isnt like yours - we aren't that far north as some here would like to claim, lol.

Id have to look at a map to see... is Alaska next to North West Territories? I wish I was even closer to the East Coast. Its my favourite place, ever. Its a place where neighbours have impromptu folk music singalongs. All sorts of tradition and neighbourliness. Fisherman bring in the best seafood. Which, you must get the best seafood too?

So we border your Yukon Territory, but then our panhandle like where Juneau our capital is borders British Columbia. Alaska stretches pretty far down both West towards Russia/Japan and East towards Seattle/Vancouver area. Pretty unique state!

and as far as the seafood, yeah we have stellar King Crab and King Salmon...both delish! Whenever my mom visits we always splurge on the crab..it's our special treat for when she visits from CO. Halibut is super good too, but even though it's from our fresh waters, it is still hella expensive for us Alaskans and goes up to $15-19 a lb. :/

The folk singalongs sound great....my grandfather's family used to sing folk songs growing up. :heart:

• Like 1

All our plant sales are cancelled for the public.  We are going to sell to our membership and should be able to recoup our costs.  We will hold back our natives and perennials for a sale when this all clears.  Any plants we have left, we will try to donate.  It works, we just aren't making any money.  

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

All our plant sales are cancelled for the public.  We are going to sell to our membership and should be able to recoup our costs.  We will hold back our natives and perennials for a sale when this all clears.  Any plants we have left, we will try to donate.  It works, we just aren't making any money.  

Oh right, I guess you already said they were completely canceled. Hard to keep up with all the changes going on! Yeah - a holding patterns no fun.

Your garden pics are striking. I forgot to mention, is that a painted stone in your one bed?

That is a painted stone.  Julie and I got carried away one summer and made those for everybody.  Your house number goes on it.

Read this, how cool.  No more perfect yards here in Missouri.  But I so love mowing grass. :lol:

“Reduce mowing as much as possible.  A solid green lawn is a desert to bees.  When allowed to grown, common broadleaf lawn weeds provide food for bees.  Research indicates that reducing mowing from once per week to once every two weeks can lead to a 60 percent increase in bee diversity.  Reducing further to once every three weeks can result in a 300 percent increase in diversity.  Finally, leave small patches of bare ground for bees to access nesting spots.  Seventy percent of our native bees are ground nesters and small bare patches of ground will allow them to construct nests.”

Kevin should love on me for that. :lol:

And we're flooding.  Okay, that is normal.

Edited by cineater

Just occurred to me, we're going to have all these extra plants.  Some of our members are going to be experiencing a financial crisis.  We could grow enough for the food pantry and our members in need.  Every garden can have food plants in them.

18 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

So we border your Yukon Territory, but then our panhandle like where Juneau our capital is borders British Columbia. Alaska stretches pretty far down both West towards Russia/Japan and East towards Seattle/Vancouver area. Pretty unique state!

and as far as the seafood, yeah we have stellar King Crab and King Salmon...both delish! Whenever my mom visits we always splurge on the crab..it's our special treat for when she visits from CO. Halibut is super good too, but even though it's from our fresh waters, it is still hella expensive for us Alaskans and goes up to $15-19 a lb. :/

The folk singalongs sound great....my grandfather's family used to sing folk songs growing up. :heart:

Y'know I was kinda wondering if there might be some similarities in culture, with Alaska and East Coast Canada. Their both kinda 'off on their own' with harsh conditions. Was your grandfathers family from Alaska?

That is no fair that its still crazy expensive for you to buy king crab and salmon! That sounds like an awesome tradition with your mom.

Out East they also harvest sea weed and such from the ocean. Ever heard of anything like that there?

17 hours ago, cineater said:

That is a painted stone.  Julie and I got carried away one summer and made those for everybody.  Your house number goes on it.

Read this, how cool.  No more perfect yards here in Missouri.  But I so love mowing grass. :lol:

“Reduce mowing as much as possible.  A solid green lawn is a desert to bees.  When allowed to grown, common broadleaf lawn weeds provide food for bees.  Research indicates that reducing mowing from once per week to once every two weeks can lead to a 60 percent increase in bee diversity.  Reducing further to once every three weeks can result in a 300 percent increase in diversity.  Finally, leave small patches of bare ground for bees to access nesting spots.  Seventy percent of our native bees are ground nesters and small bare patches of ground will allow them to construct nests.”

Kevin should love on me for that. :lol:

And we're flooding.  Okay, that is normal.

I really like that painted stone! I bet people were happy to get one!

That is such promising news about not mowing as much! Im actually really shocked to see that!!

It may have saved Kevins life! :lol:

I hate that you are flooding. But yeah, you are used to that part at least. Shotty timing though.

8 hours ago, cineater said:

Just occurred to me, we're going to have all these extra plants.  Some of our members are going to be experiencing a financial crisis.  We could grow enough for the food pantry and our members in need.  Every garden can have food plants in them.

I love this idea! Thats what Im about! You always come up with great contingencies!

Ive been thinking about sharing my produce. Just not sure how to get it out safely.

You ride the city bus.  Just ask anybody if they want some or set it out at your apartment building.  What people don't realize it is the working man who needs food help.  Their money goes to the bills and they cut the budget on food.

Marsha's birthday was yesterday.  She liked my grow food idea.  She was thinking along the same lines.

I've heard that about seaweed, never tried anything with seaweed in it.  Anybody know what it tastes like. 

21 minutes ago, cineater said:

You ride the city bus.  Just ask anybody if they want some or set it out at your apartment building.  What people don't realize it is the working man who needs food help.  Their money goes to the bills and they cut the budget on food.

Marsha's birthday was yesterday.  She liked my grow food idea.  She was thinking along the same lines.

I've heard that about seaweed, never tried anything with seaweed in it.  Anybody know what it tastes like. 

Great ideas! Its not safe for me to ride the bus. Or do anything. When I go out -which I did this morning woot-woot! - I have a neighbour in a high rise guide me by phone so that I wont turn the corner and run into someone, haha. Like a spy mission! I would just give it to neighbours.

When you and Marsha share a vision, its unstoppable :headbang:

The stuff thats popular out east is like a fern almost. I haven't had that one. But I've had Nori, which is popular seaweed for sushi rolls. It sometimes wraps around the outside of the rice part. To me its a rather muted flavour compared to the rest of the ingredients, so i cant really describe that one. I use another type of seaweed called Dulce though. I make vegan tuna with it (Along with sunflower seeds, garlic and lemon juice - all blended up). It is so sea-flavoured and mimics the tuna perfectly!

Is that so you won't get knocked down?  You could play music on your phone for people to hear.  That clues them into something to look for and most people avoid you if you're broadcasting music.

We had a creeper incident yesterday.  With the office closed and nobody up there, it's a little freaky when somebody you don't know shows up.

33 minutes ago, cineater said:

Is that so you won't get knocked down?  You could play music on your phone for people to hear.  That clues them into something to look for and most people avoid you if you're broadcasting music.

We had a creeper incident yesterday.  With the office closed and nobody up there, it's a little freaky when somebody you don't know shows up.

Even though social distancing is becoming the norm, there are still people ignoring that and also others who dont know what the full scope of distancing means (like being cautious while turing a corner). So your idea is perfect to help with that one issue. I will do that. Thanks! But I also have to push that cross walk button or else it never automatically changes for you to cross. So my neighbour also guided my access the street when no cars are coming, so I dont need to push the button. Im super vulnerable to this and I trust few people! haha, that attitude is why Im still kicking :headbang: Im gonna share your idea with others in my spot. Great idea!

What!!!??? Thats so scary! So just you were there when the creeper arrived? Did you need to interact with them? Do you figure that they were looking for food?

3 hours ago, soon said:

Y'know I was kinda wondering if there might be some similarities in culture, with Alaska and East Coast Canada. Their both kinda 'off on their own' with harsh conditions. Was your grandfathers family from Alaska?

That is no fair that its still crazy expensive for you to buy king crab and salmon! That sounds like an awesome tradition with your mom.

Out East they also harvest sea weed and such from the ocean. Ever heard of anything like that there?

No...he is of German/Russian descent. My great grandfather died of a heart attack in his 40's so my great-grandmother and the 5 children sang folk songs around the country to try and make some money. Such a strong woman she was.

Ha! and yeah it is very unfair that we get charged so much for our own seafood. Now our salmon sometimes goes down in price but never the halibut. As far as seaweed, no I am pretty sure we don't harvest that. Is it good? I have not really tried that...not a huge sushi fan! Prefer Thai food. :)

Wow that's neat they became a singing group.

Soon, you've got flowers. :lol:  I'm just sitting here sending everybody flowers.

I washed all my pots and got some spray paint.  I'm going with purple and yellow.  Hopefully I can do that next week.  Don't tell anybody but we are going to grow peppers and tomatoes.  Nobody knows what we seeded before we shut down.  Joe thinks if county revenue goes down, we'll get a budget cut and maybe we shouldn't do the creek project.  They never gave us money back after 2008.  Any more cuts and they won't be able to keep the doors open.

Edited by cineater

22 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

No...he is of German/Russian descent. My great grandfather died of a heart attack in his 40's so my great-grandmother and the 5 children sang folk songs around the country to try and make some money. Such a strong woman she was.

Ha! and yeah it is very unfair that we get charged so much for our own seafood. Now our salmon sometimes goes down in price but never the halibut. As far as seaweed, no I am pretty sure we don't harvest that. Is it good? I have not really tried that...not a huge sushi fan! Prefer Thai food. :)

Thats an incredible story. What heritage you have!

Love halibut. Usually can only get it as fish and chips... which is more than enough for me! I havent tried the type of sea weeds that they harvest out East, it doesnt even look like 'sea weed' to me. They also harvest the small fish that kinda cover the beaches when in season. Ive had those fried up and they are fantastic :drool:

Thai is amazing! One of my favourites too. To the extent that I've grown thai basil and birds eyes chilli (sometimes called 'thai chilli) to make some at home. Hey, theres a herb to consider for you balcony :)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cineater said:

Soon, you've got flowers. :lol:  I'm just sitting here sending everybody flowers.

I washed all my pots and got some spray paint.  I'm going with purple and yellow.  Hopefully I can do that next week.  Don't tell anybody but we are going to grow peppers and tomatoes.  Nobody knows what we seeded before we shut down.  Joe thinks if county revenue goes down, we'll get a budget cut and maybe we shouldn't do the creek project.  They never gave us money back after 2008.  Any more cuts and they won't be able to keep the doors open.

Thank you for the flowers! Your just sitting there spreading joy and beauty. Pretty cool.

Youll paint them so they will be recognizable as belonging to the MGs? I wont tell about those peppers and tomatoes! I love it!! We need local food production more than ever. You are needed, not an expense.

Just walked to garden and back. Made it there just as one of the few sunbeams poked through the skyline of tall buildings. Its almost like my heart beats with this bed. Was something, just me and my garden in a lone sunbeam that shone on very little else. Its even more melted and it looks huge through the lens of a food shortage :headbang:

The pots get sun bleached and I can't seem to throw out a good container, lol.  I also can't seem to throw out a plant.  It makes a nice gift.  People like plant gifts and I like finding plants a home.  Works out well.  Hopefully it warms up enough next week I can spray paint them.  MU's colors are orange and black maybe a yellow.  I'm a little sick of those.  Without the plant sale, I have a feeling I'm going to have all these coleus to find a home for.

I'm betting you're a compost man and will find our compost production interesting.

Lots of folks at the greenhouse today so I'm staying away.  I have several flats ready for transplant.  I'd do them at home but I don't have space to hold them.  I'll be going up in the late afternoons/evenings after they all leave.  My heart is there too.  Sunbeams direct you to where you are suppose to be is my thoughts.  Then again, a sunbeam shown on my wedding ring so they can be wrong, lol.

The begonias have some little bug.  It's the shower for them.

Edited by cineater

I see about the pots. I bet people will be happy to get the coleus! I’m planning to grow that and in the shade one of the other flowers you should me whose name I forget haha

lol “compost happens.” Look at that end result - now that is rich and healthy soil!! Great system you’ve got set up there!! And lots of tumblers too. Do you know the Turn around during mid summer?

well who knows with these sunbeams then lol. I’ve got some transplanting today myself. 

Ive got bugs too. A few tiny black flying ones. Seem to like the basil best. I’m not worried yet... just because I’m lazy.

Hydro spray those nats.  Spray it on the soil.  Little bit of hydroperoxide in water.  I don't remember which plant that was either.  You'll have to go back through the pages of our babbling to find it.  I do that a lot, god can we talk.

They had the compost down to twenty seven days but Tim isn't there that much so I know the number went back up.  The secret is to turn it often once it gets going.

Did you like "I'm coming out"?  I'm having so much fun with you.  Everyday is an adventure to come up with new stuff.  Next year you can do a whole series on winter in the city for me.  We don't get real winter here.

3 hours ago, cineater said:

Hydro spray those nats.  Spray it on the soil.  Little bit of hydroperoxide in water.  I don't remember which plant that was either.  You'll have to go back through the pages of our babbling to find it.  I do that a lot, god can we talk.

They had the compost down to twenty seven days but Tim isn't there that much so I know the number went back up.  The secret is to turn it often once it gets going.

Did you like "I'm coming out"?  I'm having so much fun with you.  Everyday is an adventure to come up with new stuff.  Next year you can do a whole series on winter in the city for me.  We don't get real winter here.

Will do. Will get em good! Haha, we sure can talk.

Love the pics! What a gorgeous yard. So nice with all the trees. And you captured all those plants just about to take off into blooming/growing. Must be a nice place to chill out. You a BBQ'er? 

For sure, Ill do a real winter series!

Im just lying in bed creating simple recipes centred around lentil, kale, yogurt, micro greens and basil :lol:

EDIT: Just finished the last garden tour. My mind is blown! So much to talk about! That pixelated flats garden is next level. I think Id want Kew as my own. Or all of them.

Edited by soon

I had my cool season veggies out for some sun today.  They can't stay out overnight until next week.  I'm watching those garden vids tonight.

We're about to be on shelter in place.  I'm in good shape for that.  The kid is starting to see the wedding my have to be delayed and open to talking alternative plans.  I told her if they run out of masks at the hospital to wear her motorcycle helmet. :lol:  Oh wow, possible exposure at a wedding.  They're getting death threats.  Not happening at our wedding.  I'm just trying not to have the grooms family turn it into a kegger.

That was so cool how they replicated the rug in the garden.  Trail cams are always so interesting.  Guess that was a snake in the water at night?  The bobcat figured out he was on TV. :lol: 

I use my daughter's facebook account to watch concerts.  She's been getting spammed with all kinds of Dead stuff to buy. :lol:  Tonight the girls are chatting.  I let them know it's me. :lol:

Edited by cineater

Cold rain and a little bit of snow.  I was looking forward to quiet time in the greenhouse by myself.  And the text messages started rolling in at 8 of people wanting to meet me there, lol.  I was just going to sleep in and I haven't had enough coffee for this.  Stop talking to me and stay the fuck away from me, lol.  And stop asking me stupid questions!  People just want to talk.

The cool season crops look good having spent the day outside yesterday.

Edited by cineater

14 hours ago, cineater said:

I had my cool season veggies out for some sun today.  They can't stay out overnight until next week.  I'm watching those garden vids tonight.

We're about to be on shelter in place.  I'm in good shape for that.  The kid is starting to see the wedding my have to be delayed and open to talking alternative plans.  I told her if they run out of masks at the hospital to wear her motorcycle helmet. :lol:  Oh wow, possible exposure at a wedding.  They're getting death threats.  Not happening at our wedding.  I'm just trying not to have the grooms family turn it into a kegger.

That was so cool how they replicated the rug in the garden.  Trail cams are always so interesting.  Guess that was a snake in the water at night?  The bobcat figured out he was on TV. :lol: 

I use my daughter's facebook account to watch concerts.  She's been getting spammed with all kinds of Dead stuff to buy. :lol:  Tonight the girls are chatting.  I let them know it's me. :lol:

Nice - did the veggies like it? Those garden tours were short but sweet. Ive been checking out some longer tours fro those gardens too. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did! The one video mentioned historic gardeners. And how they wrote their thoughts on gardening in books and journals. I never really thought about that. Now I really want to read what they had to share.

Im happy that you are all prepared for sheltering in place. For some reason its given me bad breathe! Seriously, neve had this issue before, lol. But its not so bad given the alternative. Thats so sad for your daughter. Its good that shes starting to explore new plans. Haha, motorcycle helmet is better than nothing... or is it :lol: She rides motorcycle? Who's getting death threats???

I have to watch that trail cam today! Thanks for sending it! Bobcats are too smart for my tastes :lol:

This String Cheese show is too good!!! I had one of the user complex riffs keeping me up last night. Just kept playing in my head and tickling my senses. All sorts of dead pop-ups and a mom taking part in the girls chat :lol:

Just now, cineater said:

Cold rain and a little bit of snow.  I was looking forward to quiet time in the greenhouse by myself.  And the text messages started rolling in at 8 of people wanting to meet me there, lol.  I was just going to sleep in and I haven't had enough coffee for this.  Stop talking to me and stay the fuck away from me, lol.

The cool season crops look good having spent the day outside yesterday.

Below freezing but no precipitation or string winds at least. Oh yikes, if I was looking forward to a day in the greenhouse on my own I would loathe those texts!! I can relate to that feeling. And soon they will be legally required to do so :lol:

Yay salad bowl!!

Del put me on this e-mail chain:  Organizers needed for hospital bed capacity shortfall and other critical issues during the next 18 months.  WTF?  Not only did he shout out my name, he gave my credentials, lol.  Er, I'm of an age I should be nowhere near the hospitals.  And now my in box is getting filled up.  I really need my quiet time.

Hopefully she sold her motorcycle yesterday.  She decided like I did, I'd rather be the passenger.  They put her on a pocket rocket, bad starter bike.

My thoughts in the garden go into action ideas.  You've been reading them, lol.

Off to see what is of interest to a guy in Canada.  Wait for it.

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Del put me on this e-mail chain:  Organizers needed for hospital bed capacity shortfall and other critical issues during the next 18 months.  WTF?  Not only did he shout out my name, he gave my credentials, lol.  Er, I'm of an age I should be nowhere near the hospitals.  And now my in box is getting filled up.  I really need my quiet time.

Hopefully she sold her motorcycle yesterday.  She decided like I did, I'd rather be the passenger.  They put her on a pocket rocket, bad starter bike.

My thoughts in the garden go into action ideas.  You've been reading them, lol.

Off to see what is of interest to a guy in Canada.  Wait for it.

Del :no: What a thoughtless thing to do. You stay as far from a hospital as you can!!! You can set the email thread to block or ignore if you want. You can also unblock it later if ned be.

I hope the sale went well. Pocket rocket for a starter bike! Yikes! As long as Caleb doesn't where one of those "If you can red this, then the ______ fell off" shirts :lol:

Love these pics, thanks. That greenhouse and grounds are huge!!!!! This canuck approves haha

Just walked to garden. Theres perfectly slick, thick sheets of ice on either side. I could slide my self around the bed at light speed. If only I could have this in summer!

The big lights are on.  The furnace keeps blowing its circuit breaker and it was down in the 40's for temps.  Ranting today about the condition the potting tables were left in, lol.  I'm picky about that.  The lights should warm it up and snow cover on the top.  Craig's on his way to check out the electrical.  

It just kept snowing these big flakes.  Hardly anything needed water.  The celosia has to have it's water heated to luke warm.  It hates cold water.  The picture of the daffodils, I slipped and went on my ass taking that, lol.  You be careful.