Axl impersonator covering Starlight by Slash

GNRmello77

On 3/14/2018 at 5:28 PM, D.. said:

It's fucking crazy how far he pushed the imitation :') Every single move from Axl post 2009 ahahaha! It's kind of an odd choice, but why not. I'm very impressed, that's a true quality imitation.

Back on topic, well the guy on the recording really had me fooled if it's not Axl. It's a dead-on impression of 2010 Axl.

On 3/16/2018 at 5:22 PM, Gaanzer said:

Watch this guy slay AXL/DC. Omg, if my local bar hosted this band, I'd go watch 'm every week.

I'll just never understand why anybody would be want to completely copy cat and rip off another artist. It's one thing to be a fan and enjoy paying tribute by covering some of their tunes. But to mimic to the point where they're dressing, moving, dancing and talking exactly like them? It's rather ridiculous IMO. And I'll just never understand why anybody would be impressed or excited to see someone do this. I mean, you obviously love the original artist -- and these imitators are clearly not them!

When comics do a short impression of a celebrity in their set --- it's often funny. But what if they did their entire act impersonating that person? Or better yet, what if an actor played a role as if they were another actor playing that same role? I'm not talking about Jim Carrey playing the role of Andy Kaufman or some biography like that where some level of impersonation is expected. But what if an actor intentionally tried to sound like and mimic the movements and speech of Morgan Freeman or Christopher Walken when performing a generic role? In reality, they'd never land a role doing that ... but in theory they'd be ridiculed for it.

Same thing applies here IMO.

Years ago I used to be a musician. And when I performed others tunes, I stayed true to the basic concept of their song(s) but I brought my own unique style and sound to it. GN'R did the same thing when covering other artists songs. They never tried to imitate Paul McCartney or the Stones or Bob Dylan or the Misfits. They brought their own sound and look to it.

I just don't get the excitement over someone that copycats every single detail and doesn't bring their own unique qualities or something new and different to the table.

Lastly, those that mock AXL by saying that some of these imitators sound better than him are beyond comical to me. One, AXL is 56 years old now with a lot of wear and tear. These people copy catting him are far younger and/or without 35 years and thousands of gigs under their belts. They wouldn't sound as they do today given the same circumstances. And none of them sound like AXL during his prime. And finally, the entire reason these people are doing this and people are listening is because W. AXL ROSE pioneered a sound and style that nobody before ever had. Nobody has or ever will do what he did better than he did it. Period. Same goes for the likes of Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Ozzy, David Lee Roth, etc.

Before I end this post let me be clear that I understand that we all have our own opinion and everybody's likes and tastes are different. If you enjoy this tribute band stuff, more power to you. I'm just saying that I don't get it and explained why. Doesn't make me right. Doesn't make me wrong. It's just my point of view. But go ahead and trash me if you'd like. :)

Edited by thunderram

Maybe because that mediocre song isn't mediocre at all? It just lacked that special voice and that's probably the problem with most of Slash's songs. They're laking a little bit here and there from Axl or from Izzy to be considered great songs.

Every single record of Slash could have been on GNR level with a little help of Axl and Izzy because Axl Slash and Izzy = GNR

The same with Izzy records.

CD is lacking the basics

• 1 month later...
On 30-3-2018 at 9:35 PM, thunderram said:

I'll just never understand why anybody would be want to completely copy cat and rip off another artist. It's one thing to be a fan and enjoy paying tribute by covering some of their tunes. But to mimic to the point where they're dressing, moving, dancing and talking exactly like them? It's rather ridiculous IMO. And I'll just never understand why anybody would be impressed or excited to see someone do this. I mean, you obviously love the original artist -- and these imitators are clearly not them!

When comics do a short impression of a celebrity in their set --- it's often funny. But what if they did their entire act impersonating that person? Or better yet, what if an actor played a role as if they were another actor playing that same role? I'm not talking about Jim Carrey playing the role of Andy Kaufman or some biography like that where some level of impersonation is expected. But what if an actor intentionally tried to sound like and mimic the movements and speech of Morgan Freeman or Christopher Walken when performing a generic role? In reality, they'd never land a role doing that ... but in theory they'd be ridiculed for it.

Same thing applies here IMO.

Years ago I used to be a musician. And when I performed others tunes, I stayed true to the basic concept of their song(s) but I brought my own unique style and sound to it. GN'R did the same thing when covering other artists songs. They never tried to imitate Paul McCartney or the Stones or Bob Dylan or the Misfits. They brought their own sound and look to it.

I just don't get the excitement over someone that copycats every single detail and doesn't bring their own unique qualities or something new and different to the table.

Lastly, those that mock AXL by saying that some of these imitators sound better than him are beyond comical to me. One, AXL is 56 years old now with a lot of wear and tear. These people copy catting him are far younger and/or without 35 years and thousands of gigs under their belts. They wouldn't sound as they do today given the same circumstances. And none of them sound like AXL during his prime. And finally, the entire reason these people are doing this and people are listening is because W. AXL ROSE pioneered a sound and style that nobody before ever had. Nobody has or ever will do what he did better than he did it. Period. Same goes for the likes of Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Ozzy, David Lee Roth, etc.

Before I end this post let me be clear that I understand that we all have our own opinion and everybody's likes and tastes are different. If you enjoy this tribute band stuff, more power to you. I'm just saying that I don't get it and explained why. Doesn't make me right. Doesn't make me wrong. It's just my point of view. But go ahead and trash me if you'd like. :)

I can totally relate to what you say. Even though I find the concept of talented musicians devoting their time to imitate/emulate a particular artist odd, my lightharted side would have a blast listening to a tribute singer blasting out exaggerated Axl'eque rasp. Nothing more, nothing less. :)