Which GNR songs can you play perfectly on the guitar?

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Locomotive is tough

20 hours ago, DK6 said:

I agree with that. Find the solos easier than the main riff which is rare! The main riff is very easy to play wrong.

G#         0        0       0       0

D#   3- 5   3- 5   3- 5   3- 5    0- 0- 3- 0

Is this how the main riff goes? Because that's what most tabs say and most people on youtube play it like that. But I slowed down the original version on youtube and to me it sounds like Slash plays it a little bit different, and I want to play it correct.

Edited by EvanG

On 18/08/2018 at 6:18 AM, EvanG said:

G#         0        0       0       0

D#   3- 5   3- 5   3- 5   3- 5    0- 0- 3- 0

Is this how the main riff goes? Because that's what most tabs say and most people on youtube play it like that. But I slowed down the original version on youtube and to me it sounds like Slash plays it a little bit different, and I want to play it correct.

Yeah mate - that's how i play it (or try to!). Definitely not convinced that I've got it sounding perfect though. It's one i keep battling with! So frustrating to struggle with a riff that sounds so easy relatively speaking. It's the timing thats tricky i guess. One to keep plugging away at until you find the rhythm. Such a great song!

6 hours ago, DK6 said:

Yeah mate - that's how i play it (or try to!). Definitely not convinced that I've got it sounding perfect though. It's one i keep battling with! So frustrating to struggle with a riff that sounds so easy relatively speaking. It's the timing thats tricky i guess. One to keep plugging away at until you find the rhythm. Such a great song!

It is an interesting riff because it's so simple yet so tricky at the same time because of the speed. It would have also been much easier if he hammered on, but that's not the case.

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

It is an interesting riff because it's so simple yet so tricky at the same time because of the speed. It would have also been much easier if he hammered on, but that's not the case.

It would also be easier just hitting the 5th fret on the D# twice rather than using the G# open string! 

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 5:41 AM, DK6 said:

I agree with that. Find the solos easier than the main riff which is rare! The main riff is very easy to play wrong.

I'm the opposite. With Locomotive, I find the main riff quite easy, but struggle (and actually gave up) trying to get the solo note-for-note and up to speed.

But then I've always been a better rhythm player than lead. I started out playing a lot of funk shit before I learned any rock songs, so I can pretty much nail any rhythm section I put my mind to. But it's another story with my lead work. I find it challenging to play many of Slash's faster runs, like that crazy-fast run half way through SCOM (where DJ Ashba used to cop out and let Bumblefoot take over lol).

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

On 25/08/2018 at 4:03 PM, Towelie said:

I'm the opposite. With Locomotive, I find the main riff quite easy, but struggle (and actually gave up) trying to get the solo note-for-note and up to speed.

But then I've always been a better rhythm player than lead. I started out playing a lot of funk shit before I learned any rock songs, so I can pretty much nail any rhythm section I put my mind to. But it's another story with my lead work. I find it challenging to play many of Slash's faster runs, like that crazy-fast run half way through SCOM (where DJ Ashba used to cop out and let Bumblefoot take over lol).

Its funny how that happens. I used to focus on the rhythm guitar for a long time but then became obsessed with learning and playing as many solo's as i could. Later on when i started playing some rhythm stuff again i was all over the place. 

On 2018-08-25 at 2:03 AM, Towelie said:

That part took me forever to figure out properly. I used to fake it fairly convincingly but I always wanted to learn it proper. Finally I sat down and really broke it down. Actually it was the acoustic version from 2010ish with Myles that really helped me hear the notes. Turns out my problem was adding too many notes. I used to try the whole thing in one go as pretty much steady sixteenth notes and a couple triplets. Upon closer listening you actually get a couple breaths in the run thanks to some legato slides. Awkward to nail, but very satisfying when you do. The whole second half of the solo is easier than that run!

Ashba just sucks and could barely play the first half correctly. I’m glad he would turn it over to Bumblefoot.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, Dean said:

Hey guys, can any of you run through this when you get time to see how accurate it is?

I've played about with the intro and it sounds nothing like it, though I'm hoping it's just me :lol:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/guns_n_roses/going_down_tabs_1413768

Looks pretty darn accurate to me :P. I'll take a closer look later and maybe record it to show you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Looks pretty darn accurate to me :P. I'll take a closer look later and maybe record it to show you.

I greatly appreciate it man and thank you for being the first to document the tab. It's just mostly basic stuff I know so I'd went to look at some of the chords that are on there. Played about with it for a bit but I couldn't get it sounding anything like the song. 

On 10/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, Dean said:

I greatly appreciate it man and thank you for being the first to document the tab. It's just mostly basic stuff I know so I'd went to look at some of the chords that are on there. Played about with it for a bit but I couldn't get it sounding anything like the song. 

I found some time today to look at it and do some recording. I'm visiting family out of state, but I brought my guitar and little practice amp. The sound quality may not be great as I did this via phone, but hopefully if gives you an idea of the roots and rhythm.

That being said, upon looking at this song again, I'm not 100% on a few parts. Namely, the F#s don't sound quite right, even though I'm pretty sure that's the note the bass is playing (I remember grappling with this when I first tabbed it out, I guess I decided to leave it that way). I'm listening on computer speakers and the Going Down mix isn't finished to begin with, so it's a bit difficult to hear exactly what's going on regarding guitar in the verse. Every few seconds I can hear a chord being strummed with some hammer-on type stuff, but it seems inconsistent, in this mix at least. I think the guitar is there, but very low in the mix, hence why the full strums on chords are more audible (the higher pitched notes come through the bass more than the lower pitched roots/power chords that I tabbed out). The bass is pretty loud in the verses and a lot of the song, which makes sense since this is a Tommy Stinson song.

The impetus behind this tab was actually people on MyGNR asking for a tab when the song leaked. I tabbed out the main/chorus riff first and then looked at general roots/rhythm just so people could play along at least. It was never meant to be a 100% complete dissection of the guitar parts, hence why I didn't really tab out any leads.

Also, upon examining the song again now, it may be possible it was written/recorded a half-step down, contrary to much of CD (or all of CD was in standard tuning, don't recall, but a lot of it was I'm pretty sure). We actually had a big argument about this when it first leaked and if I recall correctly, I was supported in my assertion it's in standard tuning (though now I'm not 100% sure, haha). Anyway, I tabbed the the parts in standard tuning at the time.

Alright, enough excuses.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

I found some time today to look at it and do some recording. I'm visiting family out of state, but I brought my guitar and little practice amp. The sound quality may not be great as I did this via phone, but hopefully if gives you an idea of the roots and rhythm.

That being said, upon looking at this song again, I'm not 100% on a few parts. Namely, the F#s don't sound quite right, even though I'm pretty sure that's the note the bass is playing (I remember grappling with this when I first tabbed it out, I guess I decided to leave it that way). I'm listening on computer speakers and the Going Down mix isn't finished to begin with, so it's a bit difficult to hear exactly what's going on regarding guitar in the verse. Every few seconds I can hear a chord being strummed with some hammer-on type stuff, but it seems inconsistent, in this mix at least. I think the guitar is there, but very low in the mix, hence why the full strums on chords are more audible (the higher pitched notes come through the bass more than the lower pitched roots/power chords that I tabbed out). The bass is pretty loud in the verses and a lot of the song, which makes sense since this is a Tommy Stinson song.

The impetus behind this tab was actually people on MyGNR asking for a tab when the song leaked. I tabbed out the main/chorus riff first and then looked at general roots/rhythm just so people could play along at least. It was never meant to be a 100% complete dissection of the guitar parts, hence why I didn't really tab out any leads.

Also, upon examining the song again now, it may be possible it was written/recorded a half-step down, contrary to much of CD (or all of CD was in standard tuning, don't recall, but a lot of it was I'm pretty sure). We actually had a big argument about this when it first leaked and if I recall correctly, I was supported in my assertion it's in standard tuning (though now I'm not 100% sure, haha). Anyway, I tabbed the the parts in standard tuning at the time.

Alright, enough excuses.

Can't thank you enough mate. Unfortunately the video has been taken down due to copyright, is there any chance you can send it to my email if I PM you?

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Can't thank you enough mate. Unfortunately the video has been taken down due to copyright, is there any chance you can send it to my email if I PM you?

Seriously?! I uploaded it like 20 minutes ago :lol:. It plays for me, but I guess that's since I uploaded. I'm not too familiar with YT's anti-copyright operations, but I suppose they scan the audio of uploads to detect copyrighted material? I know a bunch of stuff was taken down over the past few years, but this is really the first time it's directly affected me.

Makes one ponder if strict business rigidity is really worth it. Sure, GNR doesn't have their copyrighted material being listened to for free (half of which would never see the light of day for release anyway), but does GNR really win by taking away the few things fans have? Can't even show someone how to play a song on YT without Homeland Security issuing a freaking red threat level (I exaggerate... but still).

I think the video is too large for email, but I can upload it to Dropbox. I'll send you a link in a bit.