What is the most underrated Stones record?

Fashionista

What is the most underrated Stones record?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

But when you say 90s the standards drop considerably. That’s why you say of the 90s. 

I felt like it’s their best stadium era album. It’s better than the 90s Aerosmith albums. 

Well you aren't going to get many arguments there from me haha!

Neil Young's Ragged Glory is the greatest rock album of the 1990s. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you aren't going to get many arguments there from me haha!

Neil Young's Ragged Glory is the greatest rock album of the 1990s. 

That’s possible but is it an Exile style album? Big Rock songs etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're like Jagger. He doesn't like Exile either, the silly so and so. ''No hits keef'' you see? 

It is a glorious album. 

Jagger writes off anything that ain't the latest thing they've done.  Or if not write off he's very cavalier in his assessments of it. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Jagger writes off anything that ain't the latest thing they've done.  Or if not write off he's very cavalier in his assessments of it. 

Aftermath is his favourite apparently.

He doesn't like Exile because it is so Keefy, ramshackle, drugged-up, under produced, crazy creation. Jagger likes order and a bit more spit and polish - and a few hits/live staples. The only songs anyone can remember from Exile are Tumbling Dice and Happy, and the latter only because it became Keef's signature song; maybe Virginia and Shine A Light at a stretch. The whole album is deep cuts.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Aftermath is his favourite apparently.

He doesn't like Exile because it is so Keefy, ramshackle, drugged-up, under produced, crazy creation. Jagger likes order and a bit more spit and polish - and a few hits/live staples. The only songs anyone can remember from Exile are Tumbling Dice and Happy, and the latter only because it became Keef's signature song; maybe Virginia and Shine A Light at a stretch. The whole album is deep cuts.

If you listen to the interviews in and around the release of Goats Head he seems a lot more pleased with the process and end product from that release than Exile, he makes subtle comparisons about it.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

If you listen to the interviews in and around the release of Goats Head he seems a lot more pleased with the process and end product from that release than Exile, he makes subtle comparisons about it.

That was ''Mick's album''. Keef was largely stoned and absent. It was the two Micks, Jags and Taylor, working together (the former then shafting the latter on song credits haha).

Introducing a bit of ''world music'' was very Jaggeresque.

I think, and this is my own opinion, that he was hurt when it was seen as a failure in comparison to the previous four. 

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That was ''Mick's album''. Keef was largely stoned and absent. It was the two Micks, Jags and Taylor, working together (the former then shafting the latter on song credits haha).

Introducing a bit of ''world music'' was very Jaggeresque.

I think, and this is my own opinion, that he was hurt when it was seen as a failure in comparison to the previous four. 

I really like Goats Head, i think its a fantastic album.  I was shocked to hear that Winter was a song that Keith had nothing to do with.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I really like Goats Head, i think its a fantastic album.  I was shocked to hear that Winter was a song that Keith had nothing to do with.

It is very Tayloresque I'd say, like ''Sway'' and ''Moonlight Mile'', ethereal and jazzy. Taylor doesn't do that staccato honky tonk thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is very Tayloresque I'd say, like ''Sway'' and ''Moonlight Mile'', ethereal and jazzy. Taylor doesn't do that staccato honky tonk thing.

Now you say that it makes a lot of sense but when i first heard it I thought well you've certainly belted it out the park here Keith me ol' son.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Len Cnut said:

Listened to Voodoo Lounge this morning, quite good.  Coming to the end of my journey through their albums, only Bridges and Bigger Bang after this.  I have to say I never really found that bad Stones album.

Voodoo is the Stones ''getting their sound back'' again. Listen to the Keith numbers on that; I think he was peaking around that period.

Babylon is a ''Jagger album'': ''Keef we'll get the Dust Brothers''. It is actually my favourite of the post Wyman albums. ''Out of Control'' is a stadium monster. A very underrated album in their canon.

Never cared for Bigger Bang

Having listened to all of The Stones 80s albums though I don't think they made bad music in the 80s.  Fair dues Dirty Work weren't fantastic but it was still good, still got multiple listens out of me and I'd still go back to it, its actually a good album musically its the production and presentation of the day that makes it sort of grand and polished a little less loose feeling at times but the nuts and bolts of the songs aren't bad.  Perhaps I'm being an apologist, I dunno, I thought it was alright.  I'd definitely listen to em.  And the rest of the 80s albums were solid as far I'm concerned, in fact there's a lot in the 80s that I feel is among some of their best work.

This would fit handsomely on any of their 70s albums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I always get this feeling that the stones, even for all the praise they get and the stadiums they sell our, are massively underrated.

between rock fans it's always the debate between led zeppelin, black sabbath, AC/DC, Queen, metallica, guns n roses as greatest hard rock band, but mention the stones in this list and you mostly get a "yeah, they were good too, of course" response. like an afterthought, more like 'a given".

this (relative) lack of reckognition of rock fans for some of these keith riffs, I'll never understand. Sway / all down the line / let me go, and my guilty pleasure: hold on to your hat (this last song is ridiculous)

Play some of these licks with a little bit more gain, a good les paul and you can easily give most hard rock guitarists a run for their money.

their records are a bit soft in their production. maybe that's the reason. Take the album version of "when the whip comes down" for example. Live, these songs are played with much more gain so all of these songs transform in badass hardrock monsters. "All down the line" live, is something else. It's through these live albums, that I realised the true power of some of these licks.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, action said:

I always get this feeling that the stones, even for all the praise they get and the stadiums they sell our, are massively underrated.

between rock fans it's always the debate between led zeppelin, black sabbath, AC/DC, Queen, metallica, guns n roses as greatest hard rock band, but mention the stones in this list and you mostly get a "yeah, they were good too, of course" response. like an afterthought, more like 'a given".

this (relative) lack of reckognition of rock fans for some of these keith riffs, I'll never understand. Sway / all down the line / let me go, and my guilty pleasure: hold on to your hat (this last song is ridiculous)

Play some of these licks with a little bit more gain, a good les paul and you can easily give most hard rock guitarists a run for their money.

their records are a bit soft in their production. maybe that's the reason. Take the album version of "when the whip comes down" for example. Live, these songs are played with much more gain so all of these songs transform in badass hardrock monsters. "All down the line" live, is something else. It's through these live albums, that I realised the true power of some of these licks.

I think all that gain would ruin it, The Stones to me are like a RnB combo, they are more related to like...blues, motown, soul, rock n roll rather than thundering hard rock noise.  To me they piss all over Zep, Sabbath, AC/DC, Queen, Metallica, GnR, these bands aren't even in The Stoneses league as far as I'm concerned, The Stones appear to understand the merits of music that all these bands are emulating better than just about any pack of whiteboys I can think of.

They key to great rock n roll is jazz drumming.  If you can't swing you ain't it and none of those bands can really swing.  When rock n roll started there was no such thing as a rock drummer (how could their be?), all that great music that started it all was as loose as it was hard and that looseness from having a drummer than can swing.  Keith Richards is as good a shout as any for the greatest guitarist rock n roll ever had. 

The more I think about it the more I feel hard rock is a load of pants by and large. 

• Like 2

They aren't underrated where I live. When ''The Beatles v Stones'' is/has been asked as a serious/difficult to answer question that tells you how much they're valued here, what exulted company they keep - and no, I don't wish to drag up The Beatles v The Stones. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

there are classic albums such as appetite, zep II, puppets, back in black, sabbath IV, (Queen is a bit more complicate to reduce to a single album) which obviously I like a lot. I like them a damn lot in fact, I listen to these albums pretty much since high school (which was 20-something years ago) and during that time I couldn't possibly imagine anything being better than that. I had the misfortune of listening to voodoo and babylon during that time, and I dismissed the stones as old man's rock.

But here I am, and for some reason exile trumps all of that. I never tire of "some girls" and "emotional rescue" is just another  stones record I recently discovered.... and it's one brilliant, endlessly stream of albums. during their tenure, they cranked out classic after classic, one appetite after another.

I'm a heavy listener of the stones for the  last 5 years or so, and I notice I'm liking them even more as time goes by and as Len says, the appeal of those other bands I've mentioned seems to wear off a bit.

I think the following story highlights the stone's brilliance even more. See, my wife likes stone's music, even while she claims she hates them. This is funny, but she's really not into classic rock, she just "hates" the stones out of principle, out of ignorance too. Old man's rock she says. but I can put on exile or let it bleed and she won't ever complain (she doesnt know its the stones I'm putting on) but when I put on something like "kill em all" often she asks me to turn off that drivel.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

The Stones have such a fantastic groove too, which a lot of these other bands don't seem to, though some touch upon it.  You can go from song to song to song with The Stones and even their so called worst albums have like some serious groove to them.  To me they have this inate understanding about what it is that unifies the various genres of rock n roll, soul, funk, disco, blues, there's a common thread running through all of that shit, they all evolved out of each other, with a sort of a seamless crossover point, its often hard even to pinpoint where one became the other cuz they are all kinda related.  I mean what REALLY seperates Little Richard from James Brown?  Or say Otis Redding from rhythm and blues?  How does rhythm and blues become soul?  These things are all REALLY closely related and its not to do with virtuosity or how hard or sort you go, its to do with beats and rhythm and I think that if there were more bands with an understanding of that there would be a lot better music out there.  They simplify things, like Charlie Watts when assessing disco, he was just like 'its a beat isn't it, that four on the floor beat'...and he's fuckin' bang on correct, the rest could be any number of fuckin' things, take a soul song or some kinda upbeat RnB number, give it that beat and its Disco.  It appears that black people (or black Americans more accurately) were never really that bloody-minded in their approach to genre, one thing just kinda grew from the other with each generation and when you look at it broadly the differences are relatively minor and the commonalities are glaring.   

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I have yet to find the disco in "emotional rescue", this supposed stones' disco album, and I've listened to this album a whole lot.

I suppose they point to "dance" as the main culprit but if they call that disco I don't know what to say. Groovy keith licks all over the place. It's danceable (hell, the song is called dance) yes but so are many other rock songs. It's just a song that was released during the disco era, that's called "dance" of all things, and people just assumed it was disco without even listening to it.

the other songs like "let me go" "summer romance" and indian girl aren't quite fit to play in any disco either.

Stupid crybabies and their unwarranted criticism of this album. Because of them, I've passed on this album for the longest time assuming it was a disco album and it rocks all the way through!