The best haunted house movie you've never seen.

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The best haunted house movie never seen?

The Changeling (1980)

It’s frequently listed as one of the most chilling films ever made. Admirers include Stephen King and Martin Scorsese.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/movies/2018/08/02/the-changeling-blu-ray-peter-medak/amp/

Yes, George C. Scott is his usual great self in it.  It's an underrated and largely forgotten little gem.  Another movie came out around the same time that was good called Ghost Story but I don't think it would be categorized as a haunted house movie.  I know some people would say The Shining is the scariest haunted house movie but I never thought so.  I love the movie but it never scared me, I watch it mostly for Nicholson's over the top, actually hilarious, performance.  

45 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yes, George C. Scott is his usual great self in it.  It's an underrated and largely forgotten little gem.  Another movie came out around the same time that was good called Ghost Story but I don't think it would be categorized as a haunted house movie.  I know some people would say The Shining is the scariest haunted house movie but I never thought so.  I love the movie but it never scared me, I watch it mostly for Nicholson's over the top, actually hilarious, performance.  

One of my favorite movies.

Ghost Story is great too. I've watched that alot on cable.

I've seen so many horror movies in my life, so there would be too many to list. lol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yes, George C. Scott is his usual great self in it.  It's an underrated and largely forgotten little gem.  Another movie came out around the same time that was good called Ghost Story but I don't think it would be categorized as a haunted house movie.  I know some people would say The Shining is the scariest haunted house movie.

Yes, all great movies. Anyone remember Salem's Lot? Could be considered a vampire movie, but still good! Also, a movie called The Entity starring Barbara Hershey is an extremely frightening haunted house movie. All of these movies I watch on TV as I was still just a kid back then.

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Yes, all great movies. Anyone remember Salem's Lot? Could be considered a vampire movie, but still good! Also, a movie called The Entity starring Barbara Hershey is an extremely frightening haunted house movie. All of these movies I watch on TV as I was still just a kid back then.

Definitely, The Entity is excellent, I think it might've been loosely based on actual events. And Salem's Lot, wow, some truly frightening scenes in that one.  The kid floating outside the window and the vampire suddenly appearing in the kitchen, scared the hell out of me as a kid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The best haunted house movie never seen?

The Changeling (1980)

It’s frequently listed as one of the most chilling films ever made. Admirers include Stephen King and Martin Scorsese.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/movies/2018/08/02/the-changeling-blu-ray-peter-medak/amp/

I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the tip.  Have you ever seen this one?

9 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Definitely, The Entity is excellent, I think it might've been loosely based on actual events. And Salem's Lot, wow, some truly frightening scenes in that one.  The kid floating outside the window and the vampire suddenly appearing in the kitchen, scared the hell out of me as a kid.

One of the reviews for "The Haunted" that I saw when I was looking for it was "The PG version of The Entity."   It's funny that movie came up in this thread.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Yeah, it was made for tv with David Soul. It was good. The vampire was so ugly. lol Based on a Stephen King novel. My mom may have read it. She reads so much sometimes she forgets all the books she's read.

One of my mom's favorite haunted house movies is the 1960's The Haunting . I watched it with her and it's a really scary movie even though you don't see much. It's all in your imagination with all the spooking sounds and the story itself gives me the creeps.

Saw the remake, not as good.

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

There's a great haunted house movie called Burnt Offerings with Oliver Reed, Glenda Jackson and a very old Bette Davis from the mid 70s.

I saw that one too. Yeah, it was good but depressing at the end. My mom is a big Oliver Reed fan. We actually met Karen Black at a horror convention before she died. She was so nice and her son was there too.

Yeah, love Bette Davis. Felt bad for her because I bet she would have kicked their butts if she had been younger.