Prince - Rock Hall - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

RussTCB

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Ridiculous, positively ridiculous. I often wonder where his guitar went.

It was given to Oprah for a charity thing from what I heard. 

1 hour ago, foreverguns said:

Prince being pushed back on stage was a stunt right?

Yes, he had a person lined up to assist with that. 

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It was given to Oprah for a charity thing from what I heard. 

Yes, he had a person lined up to assist with that. 

Yeah I was thinking it was a trick, but given Prince body flexibility I assume he could came back by himself, a lot of Jimi Hendrix style in that solo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Ah, I didn't know that but what I meant was; where did his guitar go after he threw it up in the air.

He had a person ready to catch it down in the first row. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, RussTCB said:

I've heard conflicting stories on that, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Highly doubt thats true. Prince was a music fanatic. He surely would of heard one of the most famous bands in the worlds songs. Especially if he was to perform it with george son and on national tv.

Even this interview proposed around the world in a day was inspired via Sgt Peppers/magical mystery tour after picking it up off bobby z from the revolution.

I reckon he would of expanded and listened to other songs or members solos especially Georges.

https://americansongwriter.com/when-prince-first-heard-the-beatles/

What I had read though he never rehearsed the solo with the others. The solo was a surprise. 

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

For most Prince fans, this was just Prince being Prince. We knew for years he could play like this, it only came as a surprise to the people who never knew the full breadth and scope of his talent as a musician. 

For sure. I certainly feel that way myself. The Super Bowl performance was the same way for me. Nearly everyone I know shit their pants and was like "Wow, how amazing". My take was "Yeah, that's just Prince doing what he does". 

Both performances are stunning to casual or non Prince fans though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

For most Prince fans, this was just Prince being Prince. We knew for years he could play like this, it only came as a surprise to the people who never knew the full breadth and scope of his talent as a musician. 

People hadnt heard of Purple rains solo or lets get crazy?

His always shown his a beast on guitar. 

2 hours ago, vloors said:

People hadnt heard of Purple rains solo or lets get crazy?

His always shown his a beast on guitar. 

I think a lot of rock fans, especially throughout the 90s/early 00s didn't really have Prince on their radar, so when he did shit like the Superbowl or the Rock Hall performance, people were genuinely shocked at how great he was.

• 1 year later...
Coming out on June 3rd:
James Brown had the Apollo. Jimi Hendrix had Monterey Pop. And Prince had Syracuse, New York’s Carrier Dome—the Purple Rain Tour performance that was beamed to millions live via satellite and captured for posterity in the Grammy Award-nominated concert film Prince and The Revolution: Live, and has since gone down in history as one of the most iconic live recordings in pop and rock history. For the first time, this powerful performance by Prince and The Revolution has been entirely remixed from the original 2” multitrack master reels, the picture has been newly restored onto Blu-ray video with selectable stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos sound and the audio will be made available for the first time physically. The new version of Prince and The Revolution: Live will be available on 2CDs plus the Blu-ray with a 24-page book with never-before-seen photos of the Purple Rain Tour and new liner notes.

• Thanks 1