Has a band ever had a better comeback than Extreme ?

oldnews

Everything they have released so far from 'Six' is brilliant and better than a lot of their old stuff, I can't think of many bands coming back after so long and being so on form, looking forward to the whole album in a few days

• Like 1

AC/DC after Bon's death. 

Aerosmith in the late 80s and early to mid 90's

The timespam, of course, isn't as long. But still. 

Also Leonard Cohen in 2008 (literally better than he ever was) 

And maybe Dylan with his Time Out Of Mind / Love And Theft / Modern Times trilogy. 

• Like 1

It's funny you mention that. I've really liked everything that they've released over the past few months. Have gone back to listen to their old stuff and don't like the majority of it, apart from MTW and one or two other songs.

What they are doing now is a really substantial leap forward in their songwriting imo. It's got to be unusual for this to happen so far into their musical career.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, axl666 said:

It's funny you mention that. I've really liked everything that they've released over the past few months. Have gone back to listen to their old stuff and don't like the majority of it, apart from MTW and one or two other songs.

What they are doing now is a really substantial leap forward in their songwriting imo. It's got to be unusual for this to happen so far into their musical career.

I'm glad someone else can see it, you worded it better than me. I was never a big fan of theirs but everything off the new album is solid

The Chili Peppers with Californication.
Iron Maiden with Brave New World.

Those two come to mind because both bands star had faded quite a bit by the time those came out, but they got relaunched into the limelight on the back of those releases.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

The Chili Peppers with Californication.
Iron Maiden with Brave New World.

Those two come to mind because both bands star had faded quite a bit by the time those came out, but they got relaunched into the limelight on the back of those releases.

Glad you called both of them. They came to mind after I'd posted my list and I didn't have time to add them. Both stellar comebacks! 

• Like 1

I think as well as a general comeback, six is also a reinvention of their sound. Not totally, but definitely substantially.  I guess in this way I'd put it -so far anyway- in the same type of comeback as californication and Chinese democracy. 

The latest song is really growing on me , I think I prefer it even to Rise.

• 1 month later...