Any Godzilla (and other Kaiju movies) fans here?

Cosmo

I'm a big Godzilla fan, and not only of the more recent big budget Legendary Pictures trilogy, but also the japanese Toho movies, from the Showa Era, the Heisei Series, the Millennium Series and the more recent Reiwa era. Not a big connoisseur of many other kaiju movies but I'm a big fan of the genre, always loved movies like Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, Gamera, etc...  I'm really excited for Godzilla Minus One. If it's nearly as good as Shin Godzilla, it will be amazing. Any other fans here?

Massive Godzilla fan here. Annoyingly here in the UK, only the Showa films, the 98 film, the Legendary films, and Shin Godzilla are available to purchase legitimately. 

So I have to resort to piracy to watch my favourite era (Heisei) or any Millennium era films. 

One day I'll invest in a region-free Bluray player! 

2 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Massive Godzilla fan here. Annoyingly here in the UK, only the Showa films, the 98 film, the Legendary films, and Shin Godzilla are available to purchase legitimately. 

So I have to resort to piracy to watch my favourite era (Heisei) or any Millennium era films. 

One day I'll invest in a region-free Bluray player! 

How can these not be in any streaming? I got a DVD set ages ago but it doesn't have all the movies, there are a few missing, including some key movies, especially from the Heisei Series.

I liked all the new Godzilla movies and the King Kong ones too.  They are really made very well these days.

I've seen the original Godzilla on tv and compared to today's movies, it was so cheesy. but it was new for those days and my parents loved it when they were kids. They actually saw it in the 60's and it was first made in the early 50's.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Got tickets to see Minus 1 in theaters on Thursday. Pretty fired up, the reviews are awesome. I love Shin Godzilla, so I hope this can compare

Can't wait to see it but it seems it won't be in theatres here. Loved Shin Godzilla, but I think this will be a bit less dark/gruesome, while still dark, kinda like Godzilla 1985.

-1 is fucking AWESOME. Not counting the original, this is pound for pound the best Godzilla movie. I absolutely love Shin, but this works even better as a character film.

Great characters and Godzilla is fucking scary in this movie. He’s awesome, just a true powerhouse of angry monster aggression. The atomic blast scene was breathtaking (pun intended). This design was great in motion. Terrifying portrayal of G-man.

The last third was a tad predictable and had some cheese, but who cares? It worked. 

Shin did have better original music, but this uses the classic music more effectively imo.

A monster movie with an engaging story, human characters, and killer action can be done and it is Godzilla: Minus One

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 6:08 AM, Cosmo said:

Can't wait to see it but it seems it won't be in theatres here. Loved Shin Godzilla, but I think this will be a bit less dark/gruesome, while still dark, kinda like Godzilla 1985.

I’d say it was darker and more gruesome :lol:. Still PG13 but could easily be on the edge if it had gore/blood. Shin didn’t really show dead people much. This one was overall more violent.

Shin is the more gruesome design, though. This one is great but more like a Heisei Godzilla than something all- new and grotesque like Shin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’d say it was darker and more gruesome :lol:. Still PG13 but could easily be on the edge if it had gore/blood. Shin didn’t really show dead people much. This one was overall more violent.

Shin is the more gruesome design, though. This one is great but more like a Heisei Godzilla than something all- new and grotesque like Shin. 

I wanna watch this so much :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Godzilla Minus One. IMO, this was the best movie of the franchise. Amazing. I have never watched a Godzilla movie where I was so involved with the human characters and so hooked in the narrative. Godzilla is truly menacing and looks amazing. Love that the movie takes place in post WW2 Japan. Makes so much more sense. Man, this is easily a 9/10. Might be more.

Saw this in 4DX when I was in Atlanta for work a couple of weeks ago. Was damn near thrown out my seat a few times, most violent 4DX experience I've had (though the best was still Top Gun: Maverick where you really felt like you were in the jets) :lol: I much preferred this to Shin Gojira.

• Like 1

Shin is a great movie. It has really interesting and disturbing Godzilla designs, some really good original music mixed in with the classic themes, and a spectacular atomic breath scene. I dig it!

That being said, it does not really have a story and character arcs. It is "Godzilla is here. This is how the country deals with it." I kind of like that approach for it and don't mind all the committee scenes.

I think Minus 1 is better as a movie in almost every way, though. The characters, story, action scenes... it is the best Godzilla movie aside from the original. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...