The career directory of GNR compares most to which band in your opinion?

The only bands who I can think of who truly were unable to live up to their potential after a run of 3-4 amazing albums are all bands that had members die prematurely lol so its hard to think of another band, with all members still alive, that has lived for 20 years on the "just wait a little bit longer and more cool stuff will come out" thing

Lynyrd Skynyrd. 

Both bands had a very short successful period that defined them.  73 - 77 for Skynyrd and 87 -93 for Guns. 

Both bands are still going today mainly as touring acts with many line up changes over the years. 

Although to be fair, Skynyrd tried to keep it legit. It was mainly death that led to line up changes and they always admitted they were kind of a tribute act. 

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Lynyrd Skynyrd. 

Both bands had a very short successful period that defined them.  73 - 77 for Skynyrd and 87 -93 for Guns. 

Both bands are still going today mainly as touring acts with many line up changes over the years. 

Although to be fair, Skynyrd tried to keep it legit. It was mainly death that led to line up changes and they always admitted they were kind of a tribute act. 

I actually thought Lynyrd Skynyrd was a one or two hit Wonder. I didn't know they were VERY successful. 🤔

This might be a bit of a stretch, but Michael Jackson from 1979 on, where he really found his footing as a solo artist.

Leaving out the Jackson 5 stuff, which I understand is a big part of it - Michael Jackson was on top of the world. He released a handful of smash hit albums, including one of the biggest and greatest albums ever in Thriller. Guns had Appetite.

Blockbuster tours and fans screaming his name. Dominated the late 80s and early 90s.

His last release in the early 90s was a huge success, if perhaps a little bloated and overwrought.

Then there were some personal problems, to put it lightly - this would be Guns' breakup moment.

Then he became a joke to the press, like Axl.

Then he had a comeback album in the 2000s that tried to update his sound, but didn't quite hit the way he wanted it to.

Then he just regressed back into being into being a recluse.

Then he announced a big comeback tour (This Is It). 

Unfortunately, this is where it ended for Michael. But for a while, I thought their trajectories could be at least comparable (although Michael was truly on another level in terms of fame). Still, he's gone now and Guns N' Roses are not. So, new music or no new music, I'm glad they're still around and lived to fight another day.

• Like 3

Johnny, to be fair, Axl was never really considered a joke to the press. He'd only been considered a joke ONCE when the infamous Axl Rose picture of him scowling with a weird expression on his face(Axl begged the Internet to take that picture down), but Axl's been treated pretty neutral by the press for the most part. A true joke to the press would be someone like say Carrot Top, ironically Carrot Top/Scott is a Comedian so it kind of ties in. Charlie Sheen is also a joke to the press, but is much sadderr than Carrot Top is. Charlie Sheen is truly a mess, but Carrot Top is just a washed up has been. 

Edited by Karice

Thinking about it, there are some parallels between The Smashing Pumpkins and GN'R. The 2006 comeback was just Billy and Jimmy so a bit like the NuGuns era, then Jimmy eventually leaves and Billy's the last person standing and it seems a full-on reunion's nigh on impossible so we're into NuGuns territory. Revolving lineups and then James guests for a few songs (not too dissimilar to Duff getting back into the GN'R fold) and then there's a reunion eventually. However, like the GN'R reunion it's more of a continuation than a reboot - Jeff's still on guitar and he's been in the band since 2007 and Jack Bates is on bass rather than D'arcy (which seemed unlikely, a bit like Adler) or Melissa. The Pumpkins have been a bit more prolific after their reunion though :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karice said:

Johnny, to be fair, Axl was never really considered a joke to the press. He'd only been considered a joke ONCE when the infamous Axl Rose picture of him scowling with a weird expression on his face(Axl begged the Internet to take that picture down), but Axl's been treated pretty neutral by the press for the most part. A true joke to the press would be someone like say Carrot Top, ironically Carrot Top/Scott is a Comedian so it kind of ties in. Charlie Sheen is also a joke to the press, but is much sadderr than Carrot Top is. Charlie Sheen is truly a mess, but Carrot Top is just a washed up has been. 

No. Axl has been a joke to the press for a long time and somewhat remains one.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, Seb91 said:

Thinking about it, there are some parallels between The Smashing Pumpkins and GN'R. The 2006 comeback was just Billy and Jimmy so a bit like the NuGuns era, then Jimmy eventually leaves and Billy's the last person standing and it seems a full-on reunion's nigh on impossible so we're into NuGuns territory. Revolving lineups and then James guests for a few songs (not too dissimilar to Duff getting back into the GN'R fold) and then there's a reunion eventually. However, like the GN'R reunion it's more of a continuation than a reboot - Jeff's still on guitar and he's been in the band since 2007 and Jack Bates is on bass rather than D'arcy (which seemed unlikely, a bit like Adler) or Melissa. The Pumpkins have been a bit more prolific after their reunion though :lol:

The Pumpkins comparison was always the one for me-it was interesting to see 2 really big bands go down to one original member and still play to big crowds.  I know there are smaller bands playing clubs and stuff probably down to one member, but Pumpkins and Guns did it while still on top.  I admire the way Billy always puts out a ton of music to this day

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 5:26 AM, Seb91 said:

This is a good comparison. Both bands had relatively brief but incredibly successful runs at the top and imploded due to egos, creative differences and substance abuse. Axl and Billy have a lot in common as well in terms of their backgrounds and sometimes contentious relationships with the press, bandmates and fans 

The biggest difference is Billy writes, records and releases a lot of music and is not afraid to empty the vaults 

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

This is a good comparison. Both bands had relatively brief but incredibly successful runs at the top and imploded due to egos, creative differences and substance abuse. Axl and Billy have a lot in common as well in terms of their backgrounds and sometimes contentious relationships with the press, bandmates and fans 

The biggest difference is Billy writes, records and releases a lot of music and is not afraid to empty the vaults 

That is a HUGE difference, though. Also, the Pumpkins were always Corgan plus the rest, while Guns were always more of a band, both writing-wise and image-wise in the public's eye. Corgan ditching everyone and Axl doing the same is quite different in that respect.

• Like 1

A few people have mentioned Tool. However the two closest bands to my mind are Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down.

Both went on hiatus/imploded at the height of their popularity. After an extended period they then returned, and both basically didn't release new music apart from a few singles- and both are as popular as ever. Both bands have a discography that is very limited, much like GNR. And like GNR, that discography is popular enough to sustain massive levels of popularity decades later.

• Like 2

Seeing the Justin Hawkins thread made me think, a case could be made for The Darkness.

Big first album, then things sprialled out of control and members left. Years in the wilderness, then most of the originals got back together and while big again, they're not 'mainstream big' like they were the first time.

It's another stretch, but there's a case there

Edited by DoMw94

I always felt Poe delivered the album that Axl always wanted to, in her 2000 release of Haunted. 

She even used Josh Freese on drums so it has a very Chinese Democracy feel to it....almost like it's a cousin of CD since Josh was working on both projects around the same time.

We know Axl was into Fiona Apple music around that time so I'm certain he was well aware of what Poe was doing.

It is a great album but underapreciated by the press, and much like with Axl's reaction to Chinese Democracy, this has caused Poe to become a musical recluse when it comes to delivering new music.

Axl, at least, is trying to finally get some songs out there and the reunion keeps him in the spot light but for Poe.....she walked away completely. 

Of course she never hit the fame of GNR but Chinese Democracy and Haunted are definitely albums on the same family tree.

Edited by Illusion1987

Agree re the Pumpkins comments! I think one difference is that Billy had Jimmy in the initial comeback which lended it more legitimacy as Billy and Jimmy were the studio band. If Billy had done the Pumpkins comeback thing alone in the 2000s I imagine it would have been greeted with even more scepticism. 

I'd also say Paul Westerberg reminds me of Axl somewhat in that he goes to ground for long periods.