The career directory of GNR compares most to which band in your opinion?

Perhaps Tool? 

I'm not *that* big of a fan of Tool, but it would seem people tend to separate the band into 2 eras: everything leading up to 10,000 days and everything after that. 

Tool are back and consistently touring since 2016, with minor variations on setlists, but yet even they have released new music with the promise of something else on the horizon

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Perhaps Tool? 

I'm not *that* big of a fan of Tool, but it would seem people tend to separate the band into 2 eras: everything leading up to 10,000 days and everything after that. 

Tool are back and consistently touring since 2016, with minor variations on setlists, but yet even they have released new music with the promise of something else on the horizon

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not even Tool, no one imo.

Tool came to my mind a couple of times since I'm a fan. They're weirdos by definition so it's kind of acceptable imo. 

In terms of fan communications they are not doing that often but once they do, it's very well organized and far from the mess we see in GNR.

So in general, I respect Tool as a music band way more than GN'R.

Rage Against the Machine.  3 great albums, followed up by a covers album. A break up and a few reunion tours but nothing else.  Zack even hurt his foot during the reunion tour.

System of a down is another, came out with a fire discography, broke up and they still do shows and tours but other than a couple of random songs they put out for charity a couple years ago nothing.

• Like 1

Wolfmother.

They have one album with the "classic lineup", then the frontman, Andrew Stockdalw’e split with the other two due to the sound and direction he wanted to take the band in. 

Then he released his second album, Cosmic Egg, with this new lineup, which was like.. 6 people instead of the original power trio lineup.

Then this is where the differences appear: He decides to release his third album as a solo record, due to label pressure. It doesn’t sell that well so he regroups Wolfmother with a new power trio lineup and releases New Crown, an independent album with a rawer and less accessable sound than their previous albums. Then, some yeard later, he gets major label support to record and release Victorious, which puts Wolfmother in the mainstream spotlight again with the singlw Gypsy Caravan. Then he gets pissed with the label and releases two other albums independently, with absolutely no release campaign. These new albums suck ass and sound sorta like a caricature of what they were. 

Oh well, it’s like GNR if Axl released the 3 CD albums he originally planned and never got back with the original members, maybe 😂

In a sense, Alice Cooper.

The band split, the frontman continued with the name and a large, changing cast of other musicians. Now as an old(er) man, that frontman has welcomed some originals back into his world and he's working with both old and new.

I admit, it's a bit of a stretch, but there are some parallels

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Rage Against the Machine.  3 great albums, followed up by a covers album. A break up and a few reunion tours but nothing else.  Zack even hurt his foot during the reunion tour.

System of a down is another, came out with a fire discography, broke up and they still do shows and tours but other than a couple of random songs they put out for charity a couple years ago nothing.

Perfect examples. I wholeheartedly agree with both of these.

Just going by their contemporaries strictly, we have Poison and Motley Crue. Poison still tours but haven't released anything since 2002. Crue also tours and did release new music connected to The Dirt movie in 2019, but the last real album came out in 2008.

I mean, there are many bands who have stopped releasing music. If you are able to still tour and draw audiences, many bands apparently decided that it is not worth it to release music, whether that is because it is too much hassle/work, whether they have lost the muse, or whether there is no money in it.

With GN'R you also have the media silence, Axl's extremely private character. It is harder to find parallels to this in the world of music (easier in other arts), but I am sure there are many.

The combination of the rarity of interviews, rarity of new releases, AND such great popularity, make GN'R a special case, I suppose.

17 hours ago, D4NNY said:

I honestly don’t think there’s any other band you can compare them to in terms of their history, groundbreaking debut, small discography, 10 years for one album costing roughly $13 million, pure anger between the 2 main guys for almost 20 years, one sole member in the band for roughly 18 years the rest are replacements, members leaving, coming back, leaving again then trio reunion and a massively successful “reunion” tour basically spanning 7 years. So many conspiracies. Hit songs such as Jungle and November Rain.. but then have songs like My World and ABSUЯD. Hardly no promotion to the band in recent years and still they make their millions.

Maybe that’s why we love them so much.. absolutely nothing/no one else compares. 

This is one of the best posts in the History of Mygnr Forum ever! 😀 I love it so much, I gave it a mental standing ovation! 😀 I gave it the dolphin reaction, which is the equivalent of,"I love this post! " 😀

• GNFNR 1

There’s a hint of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson to Axl’s story.. slipping in and out of depression and reclusion.. work on ‘Smile’, the long awaited follow-up to record smashing Pet Sounds, grinding to a halt, often attributed to Brian’s maniacal perfectionism and spiralling mental well-being… the scrappy, patchy post-60s career and in-fighting amongst band members. The erratic behaviour being attributed to legitimate mental illness. Abuse at the hand of a parent (murry Wilson was a nasty POS by all accounts). Even Brian’s triumphant return to form mirrors Axl’s in 2016.  

there are even parallels between Brian Wilson and Eugene Landy’s strange conservatorship relationship and the Axl/Beta/Yoda dynamics… though I doubt Axl and Beta are quite that toxic. 

18 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

System of a Down has some parallels for sure. The two part record- Mezmerize/ Hypnotize and then 15 year break before the two charity singles in 2020.

6 hours ago, Karice said:

This is one of the best posts in the History of Mygnr Forum ever! 😀 I love it so much, I gave it a mental standing ovation! 😀 I gave it the dolphin reaction, which is the equivalent of,"I love this post! " 😀

Why thank you Karice but I wouldn’t go that far.. we all the the greatest post in Mygnr history is by @North Korean Democracy

Cool that they're releasing Ritz 91 since it's not only a great show but has a very unusual setlist with Mr Brownstone not being the second song, PC being early in the set and Jungle being the closer.

BTW seeing how he sings fast-paced tunes like Shadow & Reckless Life pretty decently nowadays imo (angry Mickey I call it) I think Axl could do a decent job if they played Perfect Crime now. The angry Mickey sounds better than the normal Mickey. 

(X3)

Classic. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In terms of lineups I'd say Yes - lots of different lineups over the years and occasions when there's been another version of the band working under another name like VR. I'm also on a Yes forum and it's quite similar to the NuGuns era on here there- i.e. the fandom being enthusiastic about a band primarily made up of non-classic members and discussing the new members in depth even if the general audience seem more sceptical and probably aren't overly familiar with the new members. The difference is the Steve Howe led NuYes keep putting records out. 

In terms of output I'd actually say The Sex Pistols. Sure, GN'R put out more than one record but for lots of people Appetite is the main GN'R album and like the Pistols, it seems a lot of the material was done in a quick explosion of creativity. I can't think of other bands so tied to their debut (well, in the Pistols' case their only proper album). 

In terms of the promise of new music and various things never working out, I'd say Axl and Jimmy Page are similar. I mean, sure Axl isn't great at the whole new material thing but the last studio thing Page put out was in 1998 and he hasn't done anything major after the Zeppelin reunion and that was way back in 2007.  He's also only done two non-Zeppelin related albums (not counting soundtracks) since the initial split. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

In terms of lineups I'd say Yes - lots of different lineups over the years and occasions when there's been another version of the band working under another name like VR. I'm also on a Yes forum and it's quite similar to the NuGuns era on here there- i.e. the fandom being enthusiastic about a band primarily made up of non-classic members and discussing the new members in depth even if the general audience seem more sceptical and probably aren't overly familiar with the new members. The difference is the Steve Howe led NuYes keep putting records out. 

In terms of output I'd actually say The Sex Pistols. Sure, GN'R put out more than one record but for lots of people Appetite is the main GN'R album and like the Pistols, it seems a lot of the material was done in a quick explosion of creativity. I can't think of other bands so tied to their debut (well, in the Pistols' case their only proper album). 

In terms of the promise of new music and various things never working out, I'd say Axl and Jimmy Page are similar. I mean, sure Axl isn't great at the whole new material thing but the last studio thing Page put out was in 1998 and he hasn't done anything major after the Zeppelin reunion and that was way back in 2007.  He's also only done two non-Zeppelin related albums (not counting soundtracks) since the initial split. 

I remember some "Bad Apples," saying that they wished Guns N'Roses were a one album band with Appetite For Destruction Album. I said something like,"Um, if they only had Appetite For Destruction, we wouldn't have November Rain, Perfect Crime, IRS, Coma,and Reckless Life, all great songs." The "Bad apples," replied something like,"I don't care. Those 5 songs you mention all suck to me personally."  Wow. 😐

5 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

I would argue that GNR has become tied just as much to November Rain as they are AFD.  I mean the music video has over 2 billion views on YouTube and is still to this day one of the most talked about music videos of all time. And I think many people see it as Axl's magnum opus.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I would argue that GNR has become tied just as much to November Rain as they are AFD.  I mean the music video has over 2 billion views on YouTube and is still to this day one of the most talked about music videos of all time. And I think many people see it as Axl's magnum opus.  

100%

Yeah, fully agree about November Rain. It's the only GN'R song that I'd hear on standard radio a lot as a kid and as it was around the release of CD I mused that Street of Dreams, Catcher or TIL would probably do well on radio. 

It dates back from the AFD writing period though so I still see it is a product of that initial songwriting explosion, even if was heavily reworked. I don't think there's really another band that fully is like GN'R. In terms of the last man standing thing (and a poor relationship between the singer and guitarist) I'd say Yes is the best fit (albeit the guitarist's got the name in that case!). However, as they constantly put new material out it isn't a great fit. 

There really isn't a band like GN'R - which Jukeboxgate has really hammered home! :lol: