Caram or Axl?

On 12/13/2023 at 11:34 AM, Mikey Whipwreck said:

I just listened to CD and played with these new tracks right after, it's like day and night. Even with the extra busy nature of CD with the million layers of guitars, keyboards and orchestration it still sounds crisper and warmer at the same time which is a testament to how shit the production is on these new tracks. 

When the reunion happened, I assumed worst case was Slash would re-record some of the guitar leads. After getting a handful of singles, it is apparent that not only do we have to worry about Slash's playing over nearly entire superior/better fitting original parts by Robin and Bucket, to add insult to injury, we have to deal with awful production too. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept up the nice production of the CD material (over produced, yes but at least they sound crisp as you said) with Slash and Duff added to the mix.

The only difference between the re-worked NITL touched CD stuff and the 2008 album that I like is they cranked the bass guitar up in the mix. (Probably because it's Duff, he's back, in case you don't know!)

16 hours ago, DSTK said:

I get what you're saying but they're just band members, though one has a hell of a load of power compared to the rest. Carams only job is to get that right ...he has one job, if you're no good at it ,I bet there's a lot who'd jump at the chance 

But Caram was Axl's employee, as far as I know. If he's not doing good, it's Axl's responsibility to replace him with anyone else. 

Sometimes I feel like Axl is trying to sabotage his own band, and I don't think this is far fetched. 

On 1/16/2024 at 7:48 PM, Sweersa said:

When the reunion happened, I assumed worst case was Slash would re-record some of the guitar leads. After getting a handful of singles, it is apparent that not only do we have to worry about Slash's playing over nearly entire superior/better fitting original parts by Robin and Bucket, to add insult to injury, we have to deal with awful production too. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept up the nice production of the CD material (over produced, yes but at least they sound crisp as you said) with Slash and Duff added to the mix.

The only difference between the re-worked NITL touched CD stuff and the 2008 album that I like is they cranked the bass guitar up in the mix. (Probably because it's Duff, he's back, in case you don't know!)

True. But the context of Slash adding his parts is very different to Robin working everyday with a hungry new band of young talented people wanting to put their stamp on Guns back in 98. 

Slash probably added his parts one afternoon after being sent an MP3 of the old versions and bashed out a few licks. Whereas Robin and Bucket were in the studio for years reworking every minute detail and Axl was still invested. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

True. But the context of Slash adding his parts is very different to Robin working everyday with a hungry new band of young talented people wanting to put their stamp on Guns back in 98. 

Slash probably added his parts one afternoon after being sent an MP3 of the old versions and bashed out a few licks. Whereas Robin and Bucket were in the studio for years reworking every minute detail and Axl was still invested. 

That I very much believe, makes sense too. So now, gotta get those reference MP3s they were sent. ;)