Prince Appreciation

D4NNY

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Always loved the song and oddly the only (?) song both Prince and Michael Jackson recorded.

But also the other classic cover on that album is pretty great:

Never knew Michael covered it too! Thanks for pointing that out! 

Betcha is great, love the slow jams on Emancipation, such 90s vibes. Lets Have a Baby is a sad listen though when you consider his and Maytes loss, but overall the album is such a fun listen with so much variety 

• Like 2

A latter day ballad classic...

Prince called it his favourite song in his final years...

Here's an early live version where, it honestly feels like we're a straggler that's found there way into a closed set, that was only meant for P and the band and by the looks of all their faces (especially Hannah the drummer and Ida on bass) they all know the meaning behind this song and the loss Prince experienced that influenced this song and how he's truly going for it in the last minute...voice almost breaking and quivering with emotion...

It's better than the album version with the sublime NPG Hornz! 

Truly, a moment...he almost seems vulnerable here unlike any other time at the end...wiping his tears away...

Not ashamed to say, it has moved me to tears before...I was lucky to hear him perform this rare song twice live...and no words!

@D4NNY@Rovim @PatrickS77 @Fitha_whiskey

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:19 PM, colonizedmind said:

A latter day ballad classic...

Prince called it his favourite song in his final years...

Here's an early live version where, it honestly feels like we're a straggler that's found there way into a closed set, that was only meant for P and the band and by the looks of all their faces (especially Hannah the drummer and Ida on bass) they all know the meaning behind this song and the loss Prince experienced that influenced this song and how he's truly going for it in the last minute...voice almost breaking and quivering with emotion...

It's better than the album version with the sublime NPG Hornz! 

Truly, a moment...he almost seems vulnerable here unlike any other time at the end...wiping his tears away...

Not ashamed to say, it has moved me to tears before...I was lucky to hear him perform this rare song twice live...and no words!

@D4NNY@Rovim @PatrickS77 @Fitha_whiskey

Never seen this before, what a great performance! He seemed genuinely overwhelmed during that.
Idas face at 3:15 shows she was soaking that special moment in. Love her playing, her turnitup album is fantastic also! You can definitely hear Princes influence In that 

Happy that you got to experience this song live for yourself, and even happier you got to witness Prince live in general! I had a number of chances to see him and never did.. I will forever regret that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Never seen this before, what a great performance! He seemed genuinely overwhelmed during that.
Idas face at 3:15 shows she was soaking that special moment in. Love her playing, her turnitup album is fantastic also! You can definitely hear Princes influence In that 

Happy that you got to experience this song live for yourself, and even happier you got to witness Prince live in general! I had a number of chances to see him and never did.. I will forever regret that. 

Aww, I'm gutted you never saw him live, I have many times written words full of superlatives about that experience in other realms of the internet and underground Purple groups...but I will simply say today....the first time was a transformative experience....I got there late - I only saw him live for the first time in 2014...then over the next 2 years, I saw him live 11 times...including, his last ever full concert at Paisley Park, exactly 3 months before he died on 21.1.16...just 2000 of us and P, alone with just his piano...we sat on purple coushins right in front of him, lit just by candles and smoke...it sorta felt like we were in the lap of the gods...

We ate vegan food in the NPG Club in-between and then returned for the 2nd show in a more further back position, to give others a chance to sit at the front...

He was more open that night with his life's journey than he'd ever been (according to those that had followed live since 1978) and it has to be released! We were photographed and filmed - whole event pro shot! It makes a perfect bookend to an early exit...

Lots stays with me from that particular night but in particular, Bowie had just passed and this...kinda spooky that he would be gone 90 days later 🫤

He was singing "Free" from 1999, he sang a bunch of songs he hadn't done in over a decade during that last tour...and he seemed to stop quite abruptly, almost as he was really listening to his lyric he'd just sang... impromptu comment on how great a guy Bowie had been to him, even though he'd only seriously met him "once"...

Both total out-there visionaries....seeing this photo makes me wish they had done something

Then post those shows, started doing "Heroes" (paired with Dolphin) as a tribute...it's such a euphoric performance and sets the atmosphere for the 100s of tributes to him that would appear In proceeding months...

Not sure I get through watching this one today but I'll link it (still never been able to press play on Atlanta to this day...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last thursday I had the pleasure to see Candy Dulfer, Sheila E, Shelby J, Ida Nielsen and Philip Lassiter play the purple jam, one of 5 concerts in Zurich, Bern, Haarleem and Utrecht where they played Prince songs. A lot of fun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C59RUSSKTe5/?igsh=cmNyMmtpeHBoaW5y

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5_uc6BKhtW/?igsh=MXhmcDg3Y2Z4MmxoMg==

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6CkFbxKztQ/?igsh=MXE0b2JheXY2djZkag==

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This song SLAAAAAPPPPPS.

I have it on 45...it was used as the b-side to one of the Batman singles, and I collected them all back in '89.  I was in 6th grade.  I had no idea what this song was about.  I was just singing all these filthy fucking lyrics all the time and it wasn't til much later I realized what I was saying.

When two are in love (when two are in love)
Their bodies shiver at the mere contemplation of penetration (let alone the act)
Let alone the actual act when two are in love
The thought of his tongue in the V of her love
In his mind, this thought it leads the pack

On 4/23/2024 at 8:42 AM, estrangedtwat said:

This song SLAAAAAPPPPPS.

I have it on 45...it was used as the b-side to one of the Batman singles, and I collected them all back in '89.  I was in 6th grade.  I had no idea what this song was about.  I was just singing all these filthy fucking lyrics all the time and it wasn't til much later I realized what I was saying.

When two are in love (when two are in love)
Their bodies shiver at the mere contemplation of penetration (let alone the act)
Let alone the actual act when two are in love
The thought of his tongue in the V of her love
In his mind, this thought it leads the pack

Tune....Video not available though ?.....

The estate are celebrating the 20th ani of "Musicology" of late and 

posted a remaster of a forgotten b-side to Cinnamon Girl...

Quite an apt song, as on my monitor while I type this are two massive court cases side by aide which really showcase that division...

Prophetic as always....sadly. 🫤😵

Fun ditty....