Prince Appreciation

D4NNY

It's Super Bowl week....so it's only right we mark it with the best ever Half Time Show...

Still the only ever Super Bowl that it rained at...with electric guitars, equipment and dancers in 6" heels, Don King asked if Prince could pre-record everything apart from vocals considering how it would effect performance...

Prince replied "Can You Make It Rain Harder?" A total landmark moment....Also amazingly, for someone as prolific in his own right, one of Dave Grohls favourite ever musical moments apart of, or not....

🙌

@Fitha_whiskey 😸

Edited by colonizedmind

9 hours ago, D4NNY said:

It will forever be an easy choice for me in a list. Definitely badass and I can’t understand why some of those 90s gems never stand up against his 80s hits, I know there’s a lot of different styles of music in that decade but god they’re good! Safe to say it’s my favourite decade for Prince music.

I’ve heard the live version he did on The Chris Rock Show… I will have to dig for that one you mentioned though! 

NicMte MJ impersonation at 1:30 also 😂

The Chris Rock performance is lip-synching to the Live '97 cassette version. But they cut it down by a good 4+mins, the original soundboard version goes OFF. You gotta hear it. 

90s Prince is my favourife decade too. I love the run of albums Emancipation - New Power Soul - Rave Un2/In2. I know some fans give those albums some shit, but there's so many great songs spread across those records. I may be biased, because it's the era when I first became a fan....

Edited by Towelie

10 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Amazing clip from the Diamonds and Pearls Blu-Ray! That whole live gig in front of less than 500 is reference seminal!

Bless Rosie. What a voice! 4:02, absolutely heavenly! 👏🏼

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Ha....if anything...underrated (by the mainstream) until post death...

Yeah, it always makes me laugh when people say Prince is overrated. Like, seriously, say you don't have a clue without actually saying it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, it always makes me laugh when people say Prince is overrated. Like, seriously, say you don't have a clue without actually saying it.

There's many of those people? Or they just stand out like a sore thumb? I've not met any if they do exist 😆 each to their own in terms of personal tastes, etc....but unless you're unable to notice talent (and I do in artists i'm not a particularly a fan of) how could you fail to see, what he's brought to this cultural artform....it's kinda undeniable and just about every artist across all genre will either cite him or put him on a pedestal...I mean its the obvious example to use on a GnR forum, but Duff being a punk kid,  you would never guess Prince is like his favourite artist if asked! Appreciation: It's far and wide people, far and wide...can't wait for the long awaited multipart netflix doc, cause theres gonna be a lot of "awakening" post that....

Edited by colonizedmind

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

There's many of those people? Or they just stand out like a sore thumb? I've not met any if they do exist 😆 each to their own in terms of personal tastes, etc....but unless you're unable to notice talent (and I do in artists i'm not a particularly a fan of) how could you fail to see, what he's brought to this cultural artform....it's kinda undeniable and just about every artist across all genre will either cite him or put him on a pedestal...I mean its the obvious example to use on a GnR forum, but Duff being a punk kid,  you would never guess Prince is like his favourite artist if asked! Appreciation: It's far and wide people, far and wide...can't wait for the long awaited multipart netflix doc, cause theres gonna be a lot of "awakening" post that....

Yeah. Sadly there are. Also so many people who don't know what a master on guitar he was. Especially from rock people. "Ooh, a black man, who's mostly known as a pop artist, he cannot possibly be good on the guitar." :rolleyes: Especially ironic when one of guitars all time masters and the legend of legends, coming before most everyone else, was a black man.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Sadly there are. Also so many people who don't know what a master on guitar he was. Especially from rock people. "Ooh, a black man, who's mostly known as a pop artist, he cannot possibly be good on the guitar." :rolleyes: Especially ironic when one of guitars all time masters and the legend of legends, coming before most everyone else, was a black man.

Jim Jim!

11 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Last 3 minutes of slappin' bass funked up my commute! Cheers. 

"Play that MUATHAFUKIN BASS!" Is the P translation of play that funky music white boy 😝

6:35 onwards, so aggressive and funky! Was Prince playing any bass playing during that extended outro? I hear his guitar playing but we know he’d swap around different instruments very frequently. What I’d do to travel back in time and witness those shows 😫

Moved topic to My World, the section for music discussion.

Personally, I like a few of his songs (Kiss, Doves Cry, Nothing Compares 2 U), but don't really consider myself a fan. 

I get why people love him, but he never clicked for me.  Just never dug his sound. 

His virtuoso talents are impressive, but much like a drum or guitar virtuoso, I can only listen to it for so long before it loses its appeal.  For me it's all about the songs, and in that aspect I never viewed Prince in the same regards as his contemporaries (MJ, Madonna). 

On 2/12/2024 at 11:21 PM, Chris1989 said:

I'm not a fan of William or Harry.

How about Albert? :awesomeface:

On a more serious note I like a few of his singles and he's definitely a good guitar player, but I never liked his stuff enough to go for a deepdive in his discography. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Thank you.. I eventually realised it may be in the wrong section but thought I’d just ride it out and see what happens 😂

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

Thank you.. I eventually realised it may be in the wrong section but thought I’d just ride it out and see what happens 😂

What section where we in to.begin with? I even thought I was in a different thread as it began...

3 hours ago, downzy said:

Personally, I like a few of his songs (Kiss, Doves Cry, Nothing Compares 2 U), but don't really consider myself a fan. 

I get why people love him, but he never clicked for me.  Just never dug his sound. 

His virtuoso talents are impressive, but much like a drum or guitar virtuoso, I can only listen to it for so long before it loses its appeal.  For me it's all about the songs, and in that aspect I never viewed Prince in the same regards as his contemporaries (MJ, Madonna). 

You know what, There Was A Time (2 GnR ref. now)...where I lived just what you stated and while of course, music is mostly interesting because of its appeal to each unique individual and every color of the rainbow and all...but while still loving a lot of the amazing contemporary massive 80s stars, I mean I totally idolised MJ growing up, I still am a fan (are we allowed to say that now? The movie next year will/could be interesting...) So Madge and MJ have a larger appeal as their music tends to be more instant, hit driven...(not a put down - it's an art form and I love it) but as a  whole Prince has plenty of hits, however he has many more albums and tracks that have deep layers to them....songs that didn't make sense until you watched the crazy music video he put together...however nost importantly, having seen 2 of the 3 live, what he could do with his songs, was to reinvent them, almost all of his regularly played tunes (40 odd) have numerous incarnations and when you're a multiple concert goer, he was simply second to none....so as much as i love the spectacle and show aspects of the other two, MJ stopped performing live post Bad tour (save for a couple numbers) & Madge, has never really been about vocals but relied heavily on backing tracks when i saw her...

So in terms of live, the best bit of music for me....the true fire in the belly goosebumps, being in a venue with 20,000-100,000 other like minded but from totally different backgrounds folk (only music unites like that, eh!?!) He was second to none and I'm sure the endless examples will continue to pour....if you are more casual, I impore you to go in with an open mind, perhaps a little patience, watch a few of our clips and maybe open your third eye a little....because there's something of Prince you've missed that may grab you more than your polite appreciation as of now...just a hunch....as It was only when I truly put the tine in l, I got truly swept away, while realising, what I disliked on my first dip with Prince, the next ones were euphoric. I always discard the orange skittles 😸😉

Edited by colonizedmind

20 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

What section where we in to.begin with? I even thought I was in a different thread as it began...

I started the thread in Anything Goes (non GN’R discussion) then soon realised My World was the place for other music discussions, we made it to the right place in the end 😅

8 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

king-cobra-jfs-jfs.gif

He's so mid it's not even funny

I liked his L0tus fl0w3r song, that wasn't anything special.

Link me a single song that will change my mind. A single song. Avg singer, avg lyricist.

8fzb5l.jpg

‘the hell outta here! 😂 over 30 albums, over 500 songs written by Prince.. average?

I start with: 

A young 20 year old Prince… everything you hear in this song along with rest of this album is Prince, all writing, all instruments, produced, mixed by himself... 20 YEARS OLD. 

Mid career: 

The music speaks for itself. Enjoy 

And finally, one of his last performances before his life tragically ended. 38 years after his first album… the voice didn’t age a single bit.. Average you say? 

Anyone claiming Prince is average or not a music legend needs to give their head a shake.

It's one thing for his music not to resonate (which is how I describe myself), another thing to say he wasn't an enormous talent with respect to composing and performing music. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Anyone claiming Prince is average or not a music legend needs to give their head a shake.

It's one thing for his music not to resonate (which is how I describe myself), another thing to say he wasn't an enormous talent with respect to composing and performing music. 

Amen. 

By the way...has anyone ever gone from the keytar, to drums to doing the splits for days within 3 minutes? I'm doing a Morpheus stare and shrug here!  Do you think that's air you're breathing? 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1