Prince Appreciation

D4NNY

I debated whether or not to create this thread but having spoken to a couple of members now and seeing the love for the purple one and his work I thought this would be an ideal thread to make instead of making the odd one or two posts in main page threads. 
I also thought there’s probably plenty of members who may have not given Prince much notice so might stumble across this and find a new artist to enjoy and indulge in. I have to say, once you find a song or two by Prince that you have to press repeat (and you definitely will) something eventually clicks and you will want more. With 30+ albums… there truly is something for everyone. 

So, members who are already fans, let’s start with something simple,

Favourite album?

Top 5 songs? 

prince_dick_guitar.gif

• GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, janrichmond said:

This is perfect. I'm not a Prince fan but I always liked his singles but this video made me realise what a legend the guy was.

If you like his more guitar driven music here’s one mentioned by @colonizedmind the other day, amazing guitar playing, a modern take on the psychedelic era. :headbang:

• Like 2

Don't know all of his work, but the Purple Rain album has a special place in my heart for many reasons. Amazing musician, still underrated and underappreciated, I miss him. Favourite songs? "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore?", "The Morning Papers", "Nothing Compares To You" and "Purple Rain".

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 11:18 PM, janrichmond said:

This is perfect. I'm not a Prince fan but I always liked his singles but this video made me realise what a legend the guy was.

🙌🤲

Little background from a total Prince aficionado/nerd! Dhani Harrison, George's son who's the young dude behind Prince on acoustic, the hall of fame were paying tribute to George that year, a wee while after his death...Dhani was a huge admirer of Prince...whom was also getting inducted himself that year...he asked him a few hours before if he'd join the other legends on stage and do something, something P didnt often too often, more a leader with his prodigies type....but appreciating the impact the Beatles left on music, he agreed and without rehearsal produced what you see in that video...he wasn't even that familar with the song...that is talent and now it often gets called the best "improv'd solo of all time", for all the many moments like this in his career, there's more often than not a crazy story and happening behind it, that only different and almost mythical people can be the center of...

He was one in a generation and Duff Is right to idolise him! 

This is like a full concert in one song....chew on that @janrichmond@adamsapple(good choices on your post - check these)

The muscianship and bandleader qualities are second to none

...you feel like he could do this blindfolded, he's there confident

And yea...anyone that can split their brain to play keys AND guitar at the same friggen time (check 2.41 onwarda) is just an alien!

@D4NNYI see you've created a P thread, great minds, beat me to it...I think we're ok, we have the Duff love-in, to back us...he has Prince at all times still, since the moment he passed, on his bass...I'm sure I'll find myself at your thread waxing some fucking lyrical at some point...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Purple Rain still gives me chills

What about this version? The solo has encores for days! He takes his time, so light one up, get in the mood the first 4/5 minutes but totally worth it, of you've never seen it before. 🙌🙌💜🌂

Edit: @D4NNYI just realised I AM in your thread 😝 I thought I followed a notification to the usual dumping ground for chat 🤣

Edited by colonizedmind

24 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I see you've created a P thread, great minds, beat me to it...I think we're ok, we have the Duff love-in

There is a recent interview with Duff just posted today where he talks some more about Prince, apparently Prince once questioned Duff to get the juicy gossip about the reason for the break up of GNR 😂

Prince talk starts at 14:35 

• Haha 1

Even by his standards, an off Prince gig, still is a top 5 ever....but when he was truly truly on it, your front row at the gig and he's a meter in front doing something like this, it's the closest thing to the best sex you've ever had...

The whole Montreux 2009 gig is up on YT in pro shot....I mean I should say gig(s) as he played two full gigs in one night (sometimes he'd do 3!?!) And I think it's a good talking point, as often in here we talk about artists, namely Axl and what is realistic to expect from someone at 60...well Prince up until death seemed to have made a deal with the devil, as none of his ability had waned, which is frankly extraordinary, considering his vocal range and complexity of some of his songs...

This is actually a vault track from an album we will get someday ...even so, all diehard fans know every note! Can't believe THIS is an unreleased track....thoughts? 

https://dai.ly/x47u3s

Edit: weird these have been up for years on YT and now suddenly gone (seems to be isolated - perhaps The Estate is finally gone remix and release then properly - a sign!?) 

paste this in if embed fails guys...

dailymotion.com/video/x47u3sy

on my phone - @D4NNYdoes the embed work or above written link for you?

HIs face during the solo is hilarious, I swear he got possessed !! 🙌

Daily motion ol' skool company instead 😝

Edited by colonizedmind

30 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

There is a recent interview with Duff just posted today where he talks some more about Prince, apparently Prince once questioned Duff to get the juicy gossip about the reason for the break up of GNR 😂

Prince talk starts at 14:35 

Ha...that's the first I've heard about that Bass doc!! Cool...Haha...another unreleased project....The problem for the Prince estate is definately not trying to find things for release....it's where do you start!!! 😮

Edited by colonizedmind

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

My favourite Prince song is Gold, and I don't think it gets anywhere near enough love.

Yeah. So happy when I finally got hear it live (The gold experienxe is also one of my favourite Prince albums.... Dolphin is another gem), when he played it at his concert in Zurich in 2011. Also the concert were I got up on stage and unlike Kim Kardashian, he didn't throw me off, though I'm not really a dancer either. ;) Amazing memory, just like all 14 times I got to see him live. The most standouts where the aftershows I got to see at the Indigo, during his 21 night run in London's O2. The aftershows were longer than the main shows. 

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Even by his standards, an off Prince gig, still is a top 5 ever....but when he was truly truly on it, your front row at the gig and he's a meter in front doing something like this, it's the closest thing to the best sex you've ever had...

The whole Montreux 2009 gig is up on YT in pro shot....I mean I should say gig(s) as he played two full gigs in one night (sometimes he'd do 3!?!) And I think it's a good talking point, as often in here we talk about artists, namely Axl and what is realistic to expect from someone at 60...well Prince up until death seemed to have made a deal with the devil, as none of his ability had waned, which is frankly extraordinary, considering his vocal range and complexity of some of his songs...

Yeah. Montreux was pretty special too. As soon as the last note of the fhe first concert was played, we ran out the auditorium to get right in front of the queue again for the second show and it worked, we were front row for that one. And amazingly both pro shots leaked, which really rarely happens at Montreux.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • ABSUЯD 1

16 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

This is actually a vault track from an album we will get someday ...even so, all diehard fans know every note! Can't believe THIS is an unreleased track....thoughts? 

https://dai.ly/x47u3s

Edit: weird these have been up for years on YT and now suddenly gone (seems to be isolated - perhaps The Estate is finally gone remix and release then properly - a sign!?) 

paste this in if embed fails guys...

on my phone - @D4NNYdoes the embed work or above written link for you?

HIs face during the solo is hilarious, I swear he got possessed !! 🙌

Daily motion ol' skool company instead 😝

Can’t see any of the videos your inserted, I would take that as a good sign.. I have noticed the official Prince channel likes to split shows up though and release single songs from concerts which is a shame. 

As for Prince and his final years performing, the guys voice did not age at all. Absolutely mind boggling he sounded perfect his whole career, I showed this performance to my 52 year old father in law over Christmas and asked how old he thought Prince was in the clip and his reply was “in his mid to late 30’s?”… much to his surprise I said he was 52… same age as him. He felt ashamed Prince was so full of energy and so youthful looking as apposed to himself 😂 

3 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Can’t see any of the videos your inserted, I would take that as a good sign.. I have noticed the official Prince channel likes to split shows up though and release single songs from concerts which is a shame. 

As for Prince and his final years performing, the guys voice did not age at all. Absolutely mind boggling he sounded perfect his whole career, I showed this performance to my 52 year old father in law over Christmas and asked how old he thought Prince was in the clip and his reply was “in his mid to late 30’s?”… much to his surprise I said he was 52… same age as him. He felt ashamed Prince was so full of energy and so youthful looking as apposed to himself 😂 

Did this work copy and pasting the old fashion way? It's worth it just to relive THAT solo (and the fact it literally melting his face)

Nice pick...I bought the Welcome 2 America Boxset, as it was the only way to get the Blu-Ray that performance is from....in ATMOS it's like he's in my living room from the afterlife...the show is so unusual that they chose...opening with the B-side, "17 Days" in extended Jam form l! 

Still pondering your O.P questions....

• Thanks 1

Massive Prince fan.

Top 5 songs is almost impossible, but here's a few that spring to mind:

All My Dreams

Face Down Live '97

Mad Sex

Power Fantastic

The Holy River

Eye Love U But Eye Don't Trust U Anymore

Circle of Amour

Hello

The entire Family album

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

Did this work copy and pasting the old fashion way? It's worth it just to relive THAT solo (and the fact it literally melting his face)

Nice pick...I bought the Welcome 2 America Boxset, as it was the only way to get the Blu-Ray that performance is from....in ATMOS it's like he's in my living room from the afterlife...the show is so unusual that they chose...opening with the B-side, "17 Days" in extended Jam form l! 

Still pondering your O.P questions....

Okay that worked! What a performance! Love that shot midway through the solo where the camera pans out to the crowd showing their love, all arms up. The man was just pure class and style (personally and musically). I may have to look in to purchasing that boxset also! 

As for the O.P questions, I guess they’re harder than expected 😅

My favourite album: as much as this might sound crazy, I find myself listening to the Batman soundtrack more often than others! So I guess I would say that’s my choice, I can’t really find fault with any track, IF i do skip any it would be The Arms of Orion as it’s a little soft for all occasions. 

My top 5: (alters very often) 

Erotic City

Shockadelica

Gett Off

Face Down

Come On (currently my favourite on repeat!)

There’s many many more I could add but sadly I made the rule with only 5 😂

Edited by D4NNY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

Okay that worked! What a performance! Love that shot midway through the solo where the camera pans out to the crowd showing their love, all arms up. The man was just pure class and style (personally and musically). I may have to look in to purchasing that boxset also! 

As for the O.P questions, I guess they’re harder than expected 😅

My favourite album: as much as this might sound crazy, I find myself listening to the Batman soundtrack more often than others! So I guess I would say that’s my choice, I can’t really find fault with any track, IF i do skip any it would be The Arms of Orion as it’s a little soft for all occasions. 

My top 5: (alters very often) 

Erotic City

Shockadelica

Gett Off

Face Down

Come On (currently my favourite on repeat!)

There’s many many more I could add but sadly I made the rule with only 5 😂

Face Down is everything. Even the video is Prince at his most badass. Have you heard Face Down Live 97 from the NPG cassette? It's probably on Youtube. It's amazing.

Edited by Towelie

25 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Face Down is everything. Even the video is Prince at his most badass. Have you heard Face Down Live 97 from the NPG cassette? It's probably on Youtube. It's amazing.

It will forever be an easy choice for me in a list. Definitely badass and I can’t understand why some of those 90s gems never stand up against his 80s hits, I know there’s a lot of different styles of music in that decade but god they’re good! Safe to say it’s my favourite decade for Prince music.

I’ve heard the live version he did on The Chris Rock Show… I will have to dig for that one you mentioned though! 

Nice MJ impersonation at 1:30 also 😂

Edited by D4NNY
  • Like 1