Prince Appreciation

D4NNY

22 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

‘the hell outta here! 😂 over 30 albums, over 500 songs written by Prince.. average?

I start with: 

A young 20 year old Prince… everything you hear in this song along with rest of this album is Prince, all writing, all instruments, produced, mixed by himself... 20 YEARS OLD. 

Mid career: 

The music speaks for itself. Enjoy 

And finally, one of his last performances before his life tragically ended. 38 years after his first album… the voice didn’t age a single bit.. Average you say? 

Lies and controversy

....get in the ring motherfucker! 

It wouldn't be MYGNR post without some proper wild opinions and discourse, eh 😆

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

@D4NNYfor you....since Batman is your favourite. Got it on Vinyl....must spin again soon! Shame him and Elfman didn't Collab in the end....for once, that one's on Danny and not P!

Casually in your home studio remixing your latest hit....🤣

BASS

Loved that clip since the first watch, if only there was more studio/behind the scenes footage like that. I have the Batman album on vinyl too, my nan passed two years ago and after a few months passed me and my grandad went through all the records they’ve collected over the years… that was is there! I asked him if I could have it and he handed it over to me. Gave it a spin while I was with him of course. I guess in some way the album is sentimental to me so I’m biased with picking a favourite album ha!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Anyone claiming Prince is average or not a music legend needs to give their head a shake.

It's one thing for his music not to resonate (which is how I describe myself), another thing to say he wasn't an enormous talent with respect to composing and performing music. 

download.gif

21 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

‘the hell outta here! 😂 over 30 albums, over 500 songs written by Prince.. average?

I start with: 

A young 20 year old Prince… everything you hear in this song along with rest of this album is Prince, all writing, all instruments, produced, mixed by himself... 20 YEARS OLD. 

Mid career: 

The music speaks for itself. Enjoy 

And finally, one of his last performances before his life tragically ended. 38 years after his first album… the voice didn’t age a single bit.. Average you say? 

I wanna be your lover? Title says it all. For me, one of the biggest grievances is his voice, it's just ugh. The lyrics,

And I get discouraged

'Cause you treat me just like a child

And they say I'm so shy, yeah

But with you I just go wild, woo-hoo-hoo

LOL.

To me, this reaffirms my belief he is mid. I'm not convinced he could really sing.

The Same December. It's alright. Weird and cheesy. It's alright, nothing spectacular.

Piano and Microphone live. EHHH. Why does he do that sceechy thing. I don't even think his most diehard fans would say he was an enormously talented singer.

He plays all his own instruments right? Pity it sounds the way it does.

• ABSUЯD 1

@D4NNY @PatrickS77 @username @downzy @Towelie @DeNfr @adamsapple @Graeme @lame ass security

Michael Bland Prince's drummer almost joined GNR! Michael was incredible but he was replaced by someone on another level...John Blackwell....one of the all time great drum intros/breakdowns and Prince returns in kind with a solo from the gods...fucking intense. "Shhh" is my favourite bedroom jam of all time...guitar and drums at the end is pretty eargasmic, anyone?  One for the headphones 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

download.gif

I wanna be your lover? Title says it all. For me, one of the biggest grievances is his voice, it's just ugh. The lyrics,

And I get discouraged

LOL.

To me, this reaffirms my belief he is mid. I'm not convinced he could really sing.

The Same December. It's alright. Weird and cheesy. It's alright, nothing spectacular.

Piano and Microphone live. EHHH. Why does he do that sceechy thing. I don't even think his most diehard fans would say he was an enormously talented singer.

Can't sing? You have to be trolling?  Musicologists say he has a 5 octave range, fact...he can sing...Maybe not for you, fair enough but you gotta be loving being controversial here! 🤣

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

download.gif

And I get discouraged

LOL.

Well. At this point, you're just trolling. The man released 42 studio albums. There is plenty of great stuff for everyone.

13 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Can't sing? You have to be trolling?  Musicologists say he has a 5 octave range, fact...he can sing...Maybe not for you, fair enough but you gotta be loving being controversial here! 🤣

Yeah it's pretty good here. Again maybe he's just not likable to me. 

Why do people like Prince is a question that has been posed many times before, so there's a few of me out there. He's mid.

7 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Yeah it's pretty good here. Again maybe he's just not likable to me. 

Why do people like Prince is a question that has been posed many times before, so there's a few of me out there. He's mid.

Watch the "Shhh" performance I posted above...does that not do it for you instrumentally at least? I'd say that's above "mid" intensity, at least 😉

5 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

king-cobra-jfs-jfs.gif

He's so mid it's not even funny

I liked his L0tus fl0w3r song, that wasn't anything special.

Link me a single song that will change my mind. A single song. Avg singer, avg lyricist.

8fzb5l.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

download.gif

And I get discouraged

LOL.

I just don’t get it 😂

You seem very hard to please musically, so who’s one artist that really does it for you? Who is your main go to over anyone else? I’m truly intrigued, hopefully you might be able to inspire me with a new artist for my listening pleasure.. 😊

12 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Feel free to post one or two. I'm giving it an honest bash.

Given your stance I feel that's a waste of my time. Also there isn't that one song that defines Prince, as he has so many great songs and not all of them are the same. Of course he also has quite a share of fillers, a given with around 40 albums. But still, those songs that are considered filler by some are gems to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

I just don’t get it 😂

You seem very hard to please musically, so who’s one artist that really does it for you? Who is your main go to over anyone else? I’m truly intrigued, hopefully you might be able to inspire me with a new artist for my listening pleasure.. 😊

It may be someone we've never heard of and can only find in the ether (kidding!) Make that two...also intrigued, please do share! Better not be the greatest hits of Steps 😸

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

In this bed is very cool. Best track I've heard. It's dare I say..danceable. Thankyou for posting that. It's genuinely enjoyable. Still not a big fan of his singing tone and he goes a bit off kilter towards the end screaming.

I'll give the others a fair shot but they appear like slower ballad types which I know aren't my thing, especially with Prince.

I think a lot of what it boils down to is feminising your voice as a man, doesn't typically sound cool or nice. To me, when he's crooning like a woman as the track opens, I'm cringing. It doesn't sound good.

1 hour ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

I think a lot of what it boils down to is feminising your voice as a man, doesn't typically sound cool or nice. To me, when he's crooning like a woman as the track opens, I'm cringing. It doesn't sound good

Is that a bit more ‘manly’ sounding for your liking? 😂 

1 hour ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

In this bed is very cool. Best track I've heard. It's dare I say..danceable. Thankyou for posting that. It's genuinely enjoyable. Still not a big fan of his singing tone and he goes a bit off kilter towards the end screaming.

I'll give the others a fair shot but they appear like slower ballad types which I know aren't my thing, especially with Prince.

I think a lot of what it boils down to is feminising your voice as a man, doesn't typically sound cool or nice. To me, when he's crooning like a woman as the track opens, I'm cringing. It doesn't sound good.

Noted what your tastes are and what seems to be the sticking point and here ya go...

Song that P wrote for Kenny Rodgers of all people, this is just the guide vocal track he sent him but he could do any genre, country "manly" too...

The voice you speak of, isn't put on, that's his natural and easiest way to sing, it's harder for him to sing like this video...I think the only reason why we've been practically "vocal" in our clap-backs is, he's widely talked about over the decades by his peers as having one of the most diverse palettes in voice and styles, so there really is something out there for all, even yourself, you've commended 3 tracks now....so 👍

Edited by colonizedmind

I was looking at Muse's catalogue the other day, a band that has released 9 albums and just over 100 songs collectively....

40th anniversary of Purple Rain this year....for that project, he wrote over 100 fully realised songs for alone...the 9 on the album, the 3 or 4 prodigies that appear in the film own full records and then the dozens of outtakes/vault tracks...a bunch more of which we'll get to hear later this year for the first time when the Super Deluxe comes out...now I'm not arguing quality over quantity, as he ticked both and he has some throwaway tracks too...but the fact he created The Minneapolis sound scene in the late 70s/80s, releasing a new LP every yeaar from his debut '78 all the way to '93! With no gaps (apart from '83) as opposed to the 5 years til MJ and his writers had enough hits for "Bad" (admittedly great) 11 track album! Not only did he create that scene, he populated it with his own competition! Hard enough to make it yourself but creating 80s legends like The Time and Sheila E , where almost their entire records are fully written by him and performed by him and they sing on top...they had huge success too...I don't think there's any other artists that really managed to do THAT! The only reason The Bangles didn't get number one for "Manic Monday" (which he wrote) was cause Prince was at #1 with Kiss himself 🤣

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

Is that a bit more ‘manly’ sounding for your liking? 😂 

Different version to what did the rounds on bootlegs for years too...I was so used to it 😸 it's quite something that even the unreleased songs have many different alts. Seriously did he ever sleep? Apparently he was famous for the power nap, 10 minutes here or there and spotting him actually sleeping became like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....from the same deluxe, I love how he was working on a track like this, which is the complete antithesis of D&P....

Ya know you hear fandoms of artists talk about the start of a new album campaign for their favourite artists and they often will say "Ooo I love this new track, it's a return to this era"...they talk about eras a lot...as artists often will make a record in a certain cohesive fashion and then the big selling point 3 years later is - ooo I'm doing this style now...Prince transversed all sounds in the same era, we were always kept on our toes! 

This easily could of been on BB King tribute LP! Not the same sessions as something like Gett Off 😸

@Axls_Moustache_Rules

Edited by colonizedmind

18 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I was looking at Muse's catalogue the other day, a band that has released 9 albums and just over 100 songs collectively....

40th anniversary of Purple Rain this year....for that project, he wrote over 100 fully realised songs for alone...the 9 on the album, the 3 or 4 prodigies that appear in the film own full records and then the dozens of outtakes/vault tracks...a bunch more of which we'll get to hear later this year for the first time when the Super Deluxe comes out...now I'm not arguing quality of quantity, as he ticked both and he has some throwaway tracks too...but the fact he created The Minneapolis sound scene in the late 70s/80s, releasing a new LP every yeaar from his debut '78 all the way to '93! With no gaps as opposed to the years til MJ and his writers had enough hits for (admittedly great) 11 track album! Not only did he create that scene, he populated it with his own competition! Hard enough to make it yourself but creating 80s legends like The Time and Sheila E , where almost their entire records are fully written by him and performed by him and they sing on top...they had huge success too...I don't think there's any other artists that really managed to do THAT! The only reason The Bangles didn't get number one for "Manic Monday" (which he wrote) was cause Prince was at #1 with Kiss himself 🤣

Average. :awesomeface:

17 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Loved that clip since the first watch, if only there was more studio/behind the scenes footage like that. I have the Batman album on vinyl too, my nan passed two years ago and after a few months passed me and my grandad went through all the records they’ve collected over the years… that was is there! I asked him if I could have it and he handed it over to me. Gave it a spin while I was with him of course. I guess in some way the album is sentimental to me so I’m biased with picking a favourite album ha!

In time

...(it's shot)

18 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Different version to what did the rounds on bootlegs for years too...I was so used to it 😸 it's quite something that even the unreleased songs have many different alts. Seriously did he ever sleep? Apparently he was famous for the power nap, 10 minutes here or there and spotting him actually sleeping became like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....from the same deluxe, I love how he was working on a track like this, which is the complete anthisis of D&P....

Ya know you hear fandoms of artists talk about the start of a new album campaign for their favourite artists and they often will say "Ooo I love this new track, it's a return to this era"...they talk about eras a lot...as artists often will make a record in a certain cohesive fashion and then the big selling point 3 years later is - ooo I'm doing this style now...Prince transversed all sounds in the same era, we were always kept on our toes! 

This easily could of been on BB King tribute LP! Not the same sessions as something like Gett Off 😸

@Axls_Moustache_Rules

I wish I had an even a small amount of the creativity or energy Prince had in his younger years. 
I do look at Prince as having around 4 different eras but when I really think about it they transitioned so smoothly it’s hard to pin point the moments of transition. I always find it amazing that he went from LoveSexy to Batman to Graffiti Bridge to Diamonds and Pearls… in just 4 years… D+P being the biggest change of course. The change in sounds and even his look/style is such a short period of time in absolutely crazy. The man was a true innovator and I truly don’t think he will ever be matched. 

3 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Ah, just listen to the Gold Experience album. Such a fun album:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

Just came to mind… the “screechy” vocal annoys you… and you’re a GN’R fan? 😂

10 hours ago, D4NNY said:

Just came to mind… the “screechy” vocal annoys you… and you’re a GN’R fan? 😂

it's just one factor though,. Prince and Axl sound very different with a different vocal timbre. what is similar is that both singers could sing in a very deep voice but also extremely high notes. Prince was always considered to be a great singer. (among other things)

in general, I think Prince was a musical genius, but especially his music is not for everyone. I know personally it took me a long time to connect to his music beyond the hits and a few other tunes I related to.

seems to be an acquired taste for many. the many styles of his music and over the top personality seems to be a turn off for a lot of people as well.

personally, I really like a lot of his music/albums and a lot of it doesn't do much for me, but I consider myself a fan of his music. there wasn't anyhing he couldn't do really, but if you don't relate to his style, you don't. :shrugs:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's just one factor though,. Prince and Axl sound very different with a different vocal timbre. what is similar is that both singers could sing in a very deep voice but also extremely high notes. Prince was always considered to be a great singer. (among other things)

in general, I think Prince was a musical genius, but especially his music is not for everyone. I know personally it took me a long time to connect to his music beyond the hits and a few other tunes I related to.

seems to be an acquired taste for many. the many styles of his music and over the top personality seems to be a turn off for a lot of people as well.

personally, I really like a lot of his music/albums and a lot of it doesn't do much for me, but I consider myself a fan of his music. there wasn't anyhing he couldn't do really, but if you don't relate to his style, you don't. :shrugs:

I just meant in the sense that if there’s any vocalist that you’d consider “screechy” or “scratchy” it’s Axl.. especially in the 90s. I actually find some early ‘91 shows somewhat difficult to listen to due to Axls voice being TOO overwhelming in terms of that. 
In a way I was just messing with @Axls_Moustache_Rules though, due to his comments about Prince, it’s all a bit of fun and having a laugh, nothing to be taken serious or anything. Nothing but peace in here ☮️🏼