Prince Appreciation

D4NNY

6 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I just meant in the sense that if there’s any vocalist that you’d consider “screechy” or “scratchy” it’s Axl.. especially in the 90s. I actually find some early ‘91 shows somewhat difficult to listen to due to Axls voice being TOO overwhelming in terms of that. 
In a way I was just messing with @Axls_Moustache_Rules though, due to his comments about Prince, it’s all a bit of fun and having a laugh, nothing to be taken serious or anything. Nothing but peace in here ☮️🏼 

just joining in on the fun cause it's an interesting thread. I think I get what you meant, but what I was kinda trying to highlight is that yes, Axl's voice is "screechy"/"scratchy" but that's hardly all there is to Axl's singing voice, it's quite versatile, there are a lot of other qualities to his voice to like or dislike and the combination of the screech with other qualities of Prince's voice are a turn off for some people and I don't find it surprising cause it's also how it sounds to the listener as a whole imo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D4NNY said:

I just meant in the sense that if there’s any vocalist that you’d consider “screechy” or “scratchy” it’s Axl.. especially in the 90s. I actually find some early ‘91 shows somewhat difficult to listen to due to Axls voice being TOO overwhelming in terms of that. 
In a way I was just messing with @Axls_Moustache_Rules though, due to his comments about Prince, it’s all a bit of fun and having a laugh, nothing to be taken serious or anything. Nothing but peace in here ☮️🏼 

Second.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

just joining in on the fun cause it's an interesting thread. I think I get what you meant, but what I was kinda trying to highlight is that yes, Axl's voice is "screechy"/"scratchy" but that's hardly all there is to Axl's singing voice, it's quite versatile, there are a lot of other qualities to his voice to like or dislike and the combination of the screech with other qualities of Prince's voice are a turn off for some people and I don't find it surprising cause it's also how it sounds to the listener as a whole imo.  

And Prince isn't versatile?? That's laughable.

15 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

And Prince isn't versatile?? That's laughable.

extremely versatile, I don't get why you think I said that, but anyway: my point is that you can like the singing voice of one raspy, or screechy singer and dislike another raspy or screechy singer cause there are many qualities to a singer's voice so for example you can be into Axl's voice but not into Prince's voice.

always thought Prince was a fantastic singer and personally I don't find anything annoying about his voice but I understand how many would find it not pleasing to the ear just like a lot of people find Axl's singing voice nowdays and in his peak off putting.

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

extremely versatile, I don't get why you think I said that, but anyway: my point is that you can like the singing voice of one raspy, or screechy singer and dislike another raspy or screechy singer cause there are many qualities to a singer's voice so for example you can be into Axl's voice but not into Prince's voice.

always thought Prince was a fantastic singer and personally I don't find anything annoying about his voice but I understand how many would find it not pleasing to the ear just like a lot of people find Axl's singing voice nowdays and in his peak off putting.

I think If anyone does have problems listening to his voice it’s more the “character” Camille is my guess.. his natural voice is very clean and almost soothing, he can add little or a lot of power and have that rasp (Endorphinmachine), he pitched up for many songs (Camille) he also pitched down rarely. He played with his voice by adding squeals, moans, grunts, shouts.. he truly treated it as an instrument and not just a singing voice. I understand some may not like it.. I don’t get it though.. :lol:

36 minutes ago, D4NNY said:

I think If anyone does have problems listening to his voice it’s more the “character” Camille is my guess.. his natural voice is very clean and almost soothing, he can add little or a lot of power and have that rasp (Endorphinmachine), he pitched up for many songs (Camille) he also pitched down rarely. He played with his voice by adding squeals, moans, grunts, shouts.. he truly treated it as an instrument and not just a singing voice. I understand some may not like it.. I don’t get it though.. :lol:

they don't like it cause they're not you, they are other people. what people like is determined by so many factors. not every listener that is not into Prince is not into Prince for the same reason.

what is soothing to you in Prince's natural singing voice is annoying to someone else. some people are not into really popular shit like pizza, sex, and music (any genre) for the reason I've specified. I don't see it as a problem, it's just listeners that are not compatible with this type of music, it doesn't turn them on emotionally. doesn't mean there is any issues with the music itself or the listener.

I'm also a Prince fan and this is an appreciation thread, so my intention is not to point out the flaws, just to explain why I think some of his music is not easily accessible.

That time Radiohead fought HIM to keep this up on YouTube....

He covered songs like he was re-writing them with purple sauce...

Add: That whole Coachella headline performance needs to be released on video some day! Bug bear he never showcased and killed Glasto! This is as close to that...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

they don't like it cause they're not you, they are other people. what people like is determined by so many factors. not every listener that is not into Prince is not into Prince for the same reason.

what is soothing to you in Prince's natural singing voice is annoying to someone else. some people are not into really popular shit like pizza, sex, and music (any genre) for the reason I've specified. I don't see it as a problem, it's just listeners that are not compatible with this type of music, it doesn't turn them on emotionally. doesn't mean there is any issues with the music itself or the listener.

I'm also a Prince fan and this is an appreciation thread, so my intention is not to point out the flaws, just to explain why I think some of his music is not easily accessible.

I completely agree.. I did say though “I understand some may not like it”… so I wasn’t attacking you for your input or the people who don’t feel him. ✌🏼

• GNFNR 1

Everyone always says the best Super Bowl halftime show ever was Prince, so I just watched it again. He had that title sewn up long before Purple Rain the rain even happened! That could be the top rock and roll live tv performance of all time- easily top 5! Dude was so good

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Everyone always says the best Super Bowl halftime show ever was Prince, so I just watched it again. He had that title sewn up long before Purple Rain the rain even happened! That could be the top rock and roll live tv performance of all time- easily top 5! Dude was so good

Even the background behind the scenes is compelling...(click the watch on YT: NFL doesn't like sharing apparently 🫤)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I watched the We are the world docu last night and Prince came of as kind off a bitch

Yes...not new though. He didn't want to be on the stage with his rival MJ for various reasons....

He did offer to play guitar on it, didn't he? He also contributed a song to the album in the end...but MJ and Lionel were desperate to get him on the record and tried every trick in the book...I agree, he should probably of put that all aside and just done it, but whatever...that episode doesn't take away from the tons of charitable things he did in life to help underprivileged folks, which came out mostly post death...as he wasn't like MJ holding big cheques outside hospitals...

#WeWillCode and lots of stuff 

16 hours ago, D4NNY said:

I completely agree.. I did say though “I understand some may not like it”… so I wasn’t attacking you for your input or the people who don’t feel him. ✌🏼

I didn't feel like you were attacking, you seem like a very polite poster which I appreciate, so I felt comfortable discussing this topic with you. It's just music as far as I'm concerned.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

there was Jimi, Prince, and MJ as far as I'm concerned. even just the enterntainment vallue of it was unmatched in my book. (maybe Page came close with Zeppelin)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

there was Jimi, Prince, and MJ as far as I'm concerned. even just the enterntainment vallue of it was unmatched in my book. (maybe Page came close with Zeppelin)

Funny you mention Zeppelin, I found this the other day and thought it was a hell of a compliment from Plant, a duet between these two would have been another level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

Funny you mention Zeppelin, I found this the other day and thought it was a hell of a compliment from Plant, a duet between these two would have been another level

I remember this clip....imagine Plant in his heyday admitting he was intimated by ANYONE! 😮 Says a lot....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

I remember this clip....imagine Plant in his heyday admitting he was intimated by ANYONE! 😮 Says a lot....

I think Plant always was honest enough to express mostly his real opinions and Prince was a musical genius. I imagine if you connect with the music like Plant did with Prince's, it's easy to recognize and admit the sheer level of talent that someone like Prince had.

it's like B.B. King saying how the only other guitar player that made him sweat was Peter Green cause of his tone or some shit I'm rambling but I hope you get the idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

Prince loved jammin' on this early 2000s for fun....

Sure there was mutual respect there, for sure.

This go sexual psychedelic 💜

Also fun fact. That time Grohl and P jammed for a bit...Prince just started jammin WLL and Grohl was like IM IN! 

Edited by colonizedmind

On 2/18/2024 at 5:38 PM, D4NNY said:

@colonizedmind This one hits the feels… such a cool MF though “grandpa still whoop that behind!” 😂

Not sure I've ever seen this clip - WOW

"God willing, I make it to 60"

Daggers to the 💜 

🫤

Also, although he rejected many aspects of the Internet he was also one of the first pioneers of using it to distribute music, back in the good old 56K dial up era 😝

He was always ahead of the curve and a forward-thinker...it's really interesting looking at what he and Bowie were saying in the 90s about things that would become like Spotify, that didn't even exist yet...

he was a soothsayer

...(thought I'd throw in a lil GNR reference) 😉

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

It’s been an Emancipation session at work today, this one stood out for me and I may have repeated a couple of times. As one of the comments on the video says this guy could’ve sang the phone book and made it sound beautiful 😂

3 hours ago, D4NNY said:

It’s been an Emancipation session at work today, this one stood out for me and I may have repeated a couple of times. As one of the comments on the video says this guy could’ve sang the phone book and made it sound beautiful 😂

Always loved the song and oddly the only (?) song both Prince and Michael Jackson recorded.

But also the other classic cover on that album is pretty great:

• Thanks 1