AXL ROSE's Pre-GUNS N' ROSES Recordings With RAPIDFIRE

chicagocoma13

Sounds like somethin 2 get and add if it's Axl pre GnR. Would be interesting to have at least that even if ChiDem isnt on the near horizon yet. At least it would be music from the man himself even if not what evry1 would want atm...

• 6 years later...

Before The Delayed Release Of Chinese Democracy, There Was The Delayed Release Of Rapidfire

May 17th '07

Think a decade long wait for an Axl-related record is long? Doesn't have shit on the wait for Rapidfire. For those who aren't up to snuff on their Rock N' Roses trivia, Rapidfire is Axl's very first project: before GN'R, and before Hollywood Rose. On May 25th, 1983, Rapidfire set to tape a five song demo (including the awesomely clichéd titles "All Night Long" and "Ready To Rumble," and the ironically fitting "Closure") which Mr. Rose has fought ever since to keep under wraps.

Problem is, the demo legally belongs to Rapidfire bandmate Kevin Lawrence. And after years of attempting to get Axl's blessing (out of politeness and formality), offering to tweak the production to suit Axl's fancy, Lawrence is saying to hell with it; the time is now. Here's Kevin's last message to "Axl fan" (misspellings lovingly preserved):

I an sorry for the huge delay in releasing the Rapidfire 1983 Demos.

My attorney has been working with Axl's attorney for some time now trying to come out with a way to release these demos which is acceptible to Axl.

Regardless though of what he wants, the law states that I can release these at any time and have the full legal right to do so. Because at one time (and if I ever spoke to him now) I considered Axl a friend, I am trying to work beyond the scope of my legal rights with him, out of my respect and admiration for him. Regardless though, if in the future he chooses not to cooperate, the CD will come out commercially. Once again I am sorry to all of you for the delay, but the legal process moves very slowly.

Sincerely.

Kevin Lawrence

The letter was posted to the Rapidfire site in August of '06, so why bring this up now? Simple: We're one week from the 24th Anniversary of Rapidfire's recording, and yes it's highly likely this 24-year-old record will see release before Chinese Democracy. Incontrovertible evidence that, no matter the development and no matter the date, Axl Rose is and always will be an infinite reservoir of absurdity. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a talent worth celebrating.

http://stereogum.com...ocracy_th/news/

30 years next year

That''s 3 years old at least.

Even if Axl's embarrassed by the material, it's better for people to hear it than not. I think it encourages singers to keep singing when they hear early stuff and it's pretty rough, more appreciation into what would lead to AFD. I don't see it any different than hearing the songs Elton covered to make a few bucks, Attila, or Ibex.

They're not going to make tons of cash off of it, that ship sailed long ago.

I'd love to hear this. I love the Hollywood Rose recordings. Axl's voice sounded really cool, like he was still learning how to use it, and it was more of a mixed voice than his AFD voice.

Even if Axl's embarrassed by the material, it's better for people to hear it than not. I think it encourages singers to keep singing when they hear early stuff and it's pretty rough, more appreciation into what would lead to AFD. I don't see it any different than hearing the songs Elton covered to make a few bucks, Attila, or Ibex.

They're not going to make tons of cash off of it, that ship sailed long ago.

I completely agree with this. I love hearing how a singer started off. It's less discouraging and it makes me gain respect.

Edited by Kill Devil Hill

Before The Delayed Release Of Chinese Democracy, There Was The Delayed Release Of Rapidfire

May 17th '07

Think a decade long wait for an Axl-related record is long? Doesn't have shit on the wait for Rapidfire. For those who aren't up to snuff on their Rock N' Roses trivia, Rapidfire is Axl's very first project: before GN'R, and before Hollywood Rose. On May 25th, 1983, Rapidfire set to tape a five song demo (including the awesomely clichéd titles "All Night Long" and "Ready To Rumble," and the ironically fitting "Closure") which Mr. Rose has fought ever since to keep under wraps.

Problem is, the demo legally belongs to Rapidfire bandmate Kevin Lawrence. And after years of attempting to get Axl's blessing (out of politeness and formality), offering to tweak the production to suit Axl's fancy, Lawrence is saying to hell with it; the time is now. Here's Kevin's last message to "Axl fan" (misspellings lovingly preserved):

My attorney has been working with Axl's attorney for some time now trying to come out with a way to release these demos which is acceptible to Axl.

Regardless though of what he wants, the law states that I can release these at any time and have the full legal right to do so. Because at one time (and if I ever spoke to him now) I considered Axl a friend, I am trying to work beyond the scope of my legal rights with him, out of my respect and admiration for him. Regardless though, if in the future he chooses not to cooperate, the CD will come out commercially. Once again I am sorry to all of you for the delay, but the legal process moves very slowly.

Sincerely.

Kevin Lawrence

The letter was posted to the Rapidfire site in August of '06, so why bring this up now? Simple: We're one week from the 24th Anniversary of Rapidfire's recording, and yes it's highly likely this 24-year-old record will see release before Chinese Democracy. Incontrovertible evidence that, no matter the development and no matter the date, Axl Rose is and always will be an infinite reservoir of absurdity. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a talent worth celebrating.

30 years next year

5 years

May 17th '07

don't you wonder whats been happening for the last few years? send him a email and ask. maybe if a few of us ask, it might prompt something into action

Not new news,so basically the guy says he is going to release it regardless ? Nice.

May 17th '07

Sincerely.

Kevin Lawrence

30 years next year

5 years

May 17th '07

don't you wonder whats been happening for the last few years? send him a email and ask. maybe if a few of us ask, it might prompt something into action

Not new news,so basically the guy says he is going to release it regardless ? Nice.

yeah its been awhile and no news so...

flick kevin lawrence an email through the link on his site

http://rapidfire1983.com/

i think this is the one

joshua@jsolomonlaw.com

Friends come and go,but greed goes all the way to the bone.

I was pretty disappointed in the Hollywood Rose stuff.

Since this sounds of even lesser sound quality, I'm not looking all that forward to it.

I liked the Hollywood Rose release.

Edited by vaida

The fact that he could've made way more money in the late 80s-early 90s and is prob. not going to make much off of it now, might as well put it out. I don't see it as "cashing in" or interfering with GNR record/download sales, just giving something to the people who already have everything else.

I think as long as it's a reasonable price (3-4 dollars) and done with little fanfare (and none of that "roots of GNR" on the cover), it's fine.

sailaway, you're not seriously against this, are you? :confused:

Ya, I'm confused as to why anybody would think this guy shouldn't release it.

It would be like gilby Clarke or Paul freeze telling Axl he shouldn't release music.

Axl didn't write the songs and didn't start the band.......why shouldn't this guy release music created by his band?

Pretty cool of the guy to contact Axl first, instead of selling it to the highest bidder. If Axl didn't want the guy to release property that he owns, then our favorite singer could have bought the songs for a few bucks. Problem solved, story over.

And it isn't like these guys were best friends or good buddies, so the friendship over greed thing makes no sense.

Axl is doing the same thing with GnR anyway, so what's the difference?

Axl didn't like Hollywood Rose CD being released. It's possible Axl may have sought legal action against

him to not release it? Maybe it just now got resolved. It's not that big of a deal, just release it already.

Edited by 31illusion