Discuss your thoughts of the leaked CD tracks ...

gunsguy

Well, I'm a huge new-gnr skeptic.....but I actually like the Better demo. If only because Axl sounds fuckin' good again.

Now IRS on the other hand, I'll pass on. Lyrics are weird, and I don't like Axl singing that high pitched; just my 2 cents though!

RELEASE IT ;).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contraband rocked, and VR was great in concert. Nothing special, just freakin' great, raw rock... Not Appetite or anything, but good hard rock. I just think people get so excited to hear from Axl (as do I, he's the greatest) that whatever he puts out just has to be great... These demos aren't.

This century's rock albums... hmm... certainly nothing that great, some of the top albums of the 2000s have been put out by The Hives, The White Stripes, and Pearl Jam's Riot Act was pretty good. Nothing as good as GnR's previous stuff, for sure.

If I.R.S. is not one of the top 10 tracks, that's cool with me! Like I said, if it is filler, no problem.

I would be flattered to see what you think about Contraband, (or any rock album this century) then, if you call these "Average" and "Weak"

Also, I.R.S isn't even one of the top 10 tracks...

what do you mean?

I forgot who said it, (either Merck or Dizzy...or someone else maybe..but I think it was Merck after the first IRS leak) but IRS isn't even one of the top 10 tracks on CD (as terms of quality...so its more like a filler or something...even though its too good to be a filler :P )

These are late stage demos. Go back to your GNR F history books and listen to the demos of Welcome, November, Anything Goes(even from B/F GNR) and you can realize that the studio is 10x BETTER. Hell, I heard a bad version of November Rain about the time Lies came out. Now I don't think that IRS, which I've listened to at least 40 times in my car today and at work is top twenty material, but it's better than almost half of the Illusions which stand for themselves. If IRS is a so called filler song on the album this more than makes up for the 15 years of me catching shit about being the most normal guy in the world that's a Guns freak. Guns is alive and well if this is the starting point. Fuck the old guys, which I love... The new band is coming and no one can possibly stop them except themselves.... Round 2!!!!!

Edited by maxsports

what do you mean?

I forgot who said it, (either Merck or Dizzy...or someone else maybe..but I think it was Merck after the first IRS leak) but IRS isn't even one of the top 10 tracks on CD (as terms of quality...so its more like a filler or something...even though its too good to be a filler :P )

if its a filler then fuck. were in for some mind blowing shit

what do you mean?

When questioned about IRS, Merck revealed that out of all the A-material recorded for the album "IRS" isn't even in the top 10 of the best tracks. If he was only talking about tracks slated for CD, then you can pretty much deduce for yourself that IRS is in the bottom 3 of the 13 track album (as far as songwriting/quality wise).

what do you mean?

The lyrics to IRS seem pretty uninspired but the song is ok. The solo is cool. Better is too short for me to cheers or jeers. Contraband is Gn'R afterbirth.

Contraband rocked, and VR was great in concert. Nothing special, just freakin' great, raw rock... Not Appetite or anything, but good hard rock. I just think people get so excited to hear from Axl (as do I, he's the greatest) that whatever he puts out just has to be great... These demos aren't.

This century's rock albums... hmm... certainly nothing that great, some of the top albums of the 2000s have been put out by The Hives, The White Stripes, and Pearl Jam's Riot Act was pretty good. Nothing as good as GnR's previous stuff, for sure.

Have you heard any Contraband demos, they were horrifying! Plus, as much as I like VR, they're very generic hard rock, and Weiland sounds like every second rock singer out there. And VR have proven that Izzy & Axl made GN'R, not Axl & Slash. I love Slash but I can now see that he wasn't all that amazing. Did you see Buckethead (I know he's left the band but...) NAIL Slash's solos during the 02 tour. HELL, I can even say that he did the Nighttrain solo better.

Edited by adnan

If I.R.S. is not one of the top 10 tracks, that's cool with me! Like I said, if it is filler, no problem.

I would be flattered to see what you think about Contraband, (or any rock album this century) then, if you call these "Average" and "Weak"

Fair enough, it's ones opinion I guess.

But as for Contraband, I can't even listen to it anymore, and most of the music from the 2000's is pure shit. (Not all though, I will say that)

Nothing special, just freakin' great, raw rock
This is the part that gets me. I can understand enjoying hard rock, as many of us here do, but my point is, is that I feel like I've heard enough hard rock for awhile, and now I'm looking for something more complex, which is why I'm excited to hear the rest of CD, whenever it's released. It's also the reason I like "Better", it's complex, not just the same old stuff you hear all the time..

Also, I like IRS sorta for the reason that it mixes some of the newer GnR sound, with some of the older rock sound of GnR, but yet, it's doesn't get annoying or boring.

But then again, it's just my opinion. I still love that quote...Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

:lol:

Alright, I realize everyone has a boner over the new songs. While I am excited to hear Axl and am encouraged that Chinese Democracy might actually happen (barring Axl losing his mind and destroying all of the recordings... c'mon, you've thought of the possibility), the songs were nothing special.

Better: Sorry, but this song is weak. The intro sounds like a 13 year old messing on a guitar, and the song is one big pop cliche' lyricaly. The main riff is boring, plain and simple. Axl's voice does sound good, though.

I.R.S.: This one is ok... Another weak intro... Axl sounds ridiculous with the moaning in the beginning, but his singing is pretty cool after that. The shredding solo (Buckethead I assume?) is sweet as hell... too bad he's gone. I think some of the lyrics are pretty lame ("What can I do if I gave my heart to you?") more pop cliche's. I guess I just expect something more poetic and less sounding like it was written for Kelly Clarkson.

I could see I.R.S. on the DaVinci Code soundtrack given the conspiracy theme it seems to have- it would fit the story well.

I guess my bottom line is this: It's cool to hear from Axl, and I.R.S. is pretty good, but if these songs are any more than filler, this album will disapoint. It'll sell well then people will forget about it. I am hoping these are the songs that Axl will be leaving off of it, and we know he has like 30-something recorded for a 12 track album, so they may not be part of CD. I just expect more of him.

Peace,

Screech

Opinions should be respected..

And, I do agree that I find nothing new or exciting about these tracks. From what we've heard, nothing lives up to the Guns N' Roses name..

You can't blame listeners for making that claim, either. Rose decided to continue using the name,.. and now, all of his material is going to be overshadowed by the legacy of the original band.

When you listen to songs like November Rain, Estranged and Coma.. it's hard to believe that Axl was the sole catalyst in the creation of that music.

Look at Madagascar, The Blues, IRS -- these are Axl's creations.

Do they really live up to the past achievements?

-Kickingthehabit

I'd agree 100% about axl's moaning bit at the start of irs, that kinda makes me shudder a bit too, as for better, it sounds very catchy to me and that isn't a great sign, as songs that sound good the first time you hear them are normally weak in my opinion, if i start to get into a song after about 4-6 listens then i know it's a pretty decent tune, but once i've heard the full version of better i'll make up my mind, as for irs, on the whole it sounds pretty cool, not up there with the old guns stuff, but still better than most new releases today...

what do you mean?

Contraband is Gn'R afterbirth.

Maybe if GnR was fucked by a retarded mother... :lol:

Ahh...I'm only joking, although I hate Contraband and I feel like a moron for buying it the day it came out.

-Kickingthehabit

Not right now. But all we have are demos and remastered live performances...

what I'm trying to say is, from what we've heard, these songs have the POTENTIAL to be as good as the old GNR songs.

But potential can turn into dissapointment, cant it?

I haven't actually heard the Contraband demos, but your point is well taken.

Yea, Buckhead is amazing. Slash is my fav. guitarist of all time, but Bucket is amazing and unique, and his playing ability is superior to Slash in my view. I would certainly love to see BH back with GNR when they tour next... who knows. Cool stage presense too.

Are there any demos of Madagascar or others out there? I've heard the live stuff, but any studio stuff floating around?

Have you heard any Contraband demos, they were horrifying! Plus, as much as I like VR, they're very generic hard rock, and Weiland sounds like every second rock singer out there. And VR have proven that Izzy & Axl made GN'R, not Axl & Slash. I love Slash but I can now see that he wasn't all that amazing. Did you see Buckethead (I know he's left the band but...) NAIL Slash's solos during the 02 tour. HELL, I can even say that he did the Nighttrain solo better.

Alright, I realize everyone has a boner over the new songs. While I am excited to hear Axl and am encouraged that Chinese Democracy might actually happen (barring Axl losing his mind and destroying all of the recordings... c'mon, you've thought of the possibility), the songs were nothing special.

Better: Sorry, but this song is weak. The intro sounds like a 13 year old messing on a guitar, and the song is one big pop cliche' lyricaly. The main riff is boring, plain and simple. Axl's voice does sound good, though.

I.R.S.: This one is ok... Another weak intro... Axl sounds ridiculous with the moaning in the beginning, but his singing is pretty cool after that. The shredding solo (Buckethead I assume?) is sweet as hell... too bad he's gone. I think some of the lyrics are pretty lame ("What can I do if I gave my heart to you?") more pop cliche's. I guess I just expect something more poetic and less sounding like it was written for Kelly Clarkson.

I could see I.R.S. on the DaVinci Code soundtrack given the conspiracy theme it seems to have- it would fit the story well.

I guess my bottom line is this: It's cool to hear from Axl, and I.R.S. is pretty good, but if these songs are any more than filler, this album will disapoint. It'll sell well then people will forget about it. I am hoping these are the songs that Axl will be leaving off of it, and we know he has like 30-something recorded for a 12 track album, so they may not be part of CD. I just expect more of him.

Peace,

Screech

Then go to the VR section and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

When you listen to songs like November Rain, Estranged and Coma.. it's hard to believe that Axl was the sole catalyst in the creation of that music.

-Kickingthehabit

well seeing as november rain is really cheesy and coma is kinda boring(i love both) i think the blues and maddy is some of his best written stuff. irs has a great sound and BH's solo is sweet

lol...there is always one in a thousand that wont like this record...this guy is one of them. It's just his opinion, and quiet frankly who cares?!

The songs are amazing to me....to bad you don't like it!...it's understandable...not everyone will.

Rock on AXL.....you ROCK! rock2

Edited by Boner

QUESTION FOR ALL: IF THE SONGS SUCKED, WOULD YOU SAY IT, OR CAN AXL DO NO WRONG? be honest

simply have no ear for music all the shit that has been put out the last ten years I think nothing can touch this. Axl is back to take his crown as the graetest front man of all fucking time!!!

I agree rock3

If you are correct, there are about 300,000,000 people in the USA. 300,000 will like the songs, and let's assume they all buy the album. That would be a disapointment... Thank you for shedding light on this!

Maybe AXL and his pop songs can tour with Good Charlotte and make your dreams come true.

lol...there is always one in a thousand that wont like this record...this guy is one of them. It's just his opinion, and quiet frankly who cares?!

The songs are amazing to me....to bad you don't like it!...it's understandable...not everyone will.

Rock on AXL.....you ROCK! rock2

stop being a A-hole dumb-ass.......You're the only one who don't like the new song.

This songs have received good feed from fans allover GNR boards....you son must be lonely and sad at the same time!

must suck to be you........don't know how that feels!

now go back in the corner where you came from!

Edited by Boner

Dude, love the name Boner, even if you are dissing me... makes it hard to respond, but...

Look at the other responses. Not everyone agrees with you, as disapointment is apparent in several people on this discussion board. Maybe AXL could add the "Don't Damn Me" ending to each of the new songs... I mean, is it not appropriate to add, "Alright, that sucked!" after "Better?"

stop being a A-hole dumb-ass.......You're the only one who don't like the new song.

This songs have received good feed from fans allover GNR boards....you son must be lonely and sad at the same time!

must suck to be you........don't know how that feels!

now go back in the corner where you came from!

You said it, dude... this posting is the most accurate look at the leaks thus far.

So unless I like every new song that leaks I'm not a real fan or something? Get over yourself. You're on a high because there's new material, but it's not THAT good. I'm hearing people say shit like, "BETTER IS THE BEST SONG I'VE EVER HEARD" and you tell me I'M overreacting?

I'm just giving you the facts. You can say I'm stuck in the past or whatever else you want, but the original Guns N' Roses was the greatest band of all-time, and whatever Axl and his traveling circus does now is going to be compared to it. This album has been in production for nearly 10 years now, and sorry if I expect a little more than just "decent". Of all the songs out so far you have 4 that are garbage (Better, Silkworms, Rhiad, Oh My God), 1 that is just average (Chinese Democracy), 2 that are just "good" (Madagascar and IRS) and only one that you can really say is excellent (The Blues).

Doesn't sound like the recipe for a classic album.