Discuss your thoughts of the leaked CD tracks ...

gunsguy

I for one was happy with Axl's voice when better kicked in full gear. I love the feel, even if its simple. I guess it's kinda cool that he wanted to experiment with new sounds, and as far as new sounds go... as for these demo's I think he's doing quite a good fucking job.

New Vs. Old?

They are completely different unless you count Axl's awsome ballad style writting. Yeah I loved the old f'n band, I still do. But I'd say better and IRS are definately better than some Illusion's tracks, not all, but some.

I personally prefer a lot of this heavy material over it's five o'clock some where.

Izzy was gone, Slash wasn't gonna work with Axl.

I'm not crazy in love with what Fink did on IRS, but I am all about what he did in the blues.

Buckethead Vs Slash? Not this again. Slash can lay down some pretty f'n mean solo's with soul. Why disrespect.

I think these are definately better than Oh My God. And I'm much looking forward to the rest of the new tracks.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I realize everyone has a boner over the new songs. While I am excited to hear Axl and am encouraged that Chinese Democracy might actually happen (barring Axl losing his mind and destroying all of the recordings... c'mon, you've thought of the possibility), the songs were nothing special.

Better: Sorry, but this song is weak. The intro sounds like a 13 year old messing on a guitar, and the song is one big pop cliche' lyricaly. The main riff is boring, plain and simple. Axl's voice does sound good, though.

I.R.S.: This one is ok... Another weak intro... Axl sounds ridiculous with the moaning in the beginning, but his singing is pretty cool after that. The shredding solo (Buckethead I assume?) is sweet as hell... too bad he's gone. I think some of the lyrics are pretty lame ("What can I do if I gave my heart to you?") more pop cliche's. I guess I just expect something more poetic and less sounding like it was written for Kelly Clarkson.

I could see I.R.S. on the DaVinci Code soundtrack given the conspiracy theme it seems to have- it would fit the story well.

I guess my bottom line is this: It's cool to hear from Axl, and I.R.S. is pretty good, but if these songs are any more than filler, this album will disapoint. It'll sell well then people will forget about it. I am hoping these are the songs that Axl will be leaving off of it, and we know he has like 30-something recorded for a 12 track album, so they may not be part of CD. I just expect more of him.

Peace,

Screech

You are nobody to criticize Axl´s music.... Man you dont have a hit like November Rain... when you release a song like that, say everything you want about Axl...

I have a final question? Who you believe you are? Ludwig Van Beethoven? :fuckyou:

Edited by ralebava

Alright, I realize everyone has a boner over the new songs. While I am excited to hear Axl and am encouraged that Chinese Democracy might actually happen (barring Axl losing his mind and destroying all of the recordings... c'mon, you've thought of the possibility), the songs were nothing special.

Better: Sorry, but this song is weak. The intro sounds like a 13 year old messing on a guitar, and the song is one big pop cliche' lyricaly. The main riff is boring, plain and simple. Axl's voice does sound good, though.

I.R.S.: This one is ok... Another weak intro... Axl sounds ridiculous with the moaning in the beginning, but his singing is pretty cool after that. The shredding solo (Buckethead I assume?) is sweet as hell... too bad he's gone. I think some of the lyrics are pretty lame ("What can I do if I gave my heart to you?") more pop cliche's. I guess I just expect something more poetic and less sounding like it was written for Kelly Clarkson.

I could see I.R.S. on the DaVinci Code soundtrack given the conspiracy theme it seems to have- it would fit the story well.

I guess my bottom line is this: It's cool to hear from Axl, and I.R.S. is pretty good, but if these songs are any more than filler, this album will disapoint. It'll sell well then people will forget about it. I am hoping these are the songs that Axl will be leaving off of it, and we know he has like 30-something recorded for a 12 track album, so they may not be part of CD. I just expect more of him.

Peace,

Screech

Peace,

Screech

Opinions should be respected..

And, I do agree that I find nothing new or exciting about these tracks. From what we've heard, nothing lives up to the Guns N' Roses name..

You can't blame listeners for making that claim, either. Rose decided to continue using the name,.. and now, all of his material is going to be overshadowed by the legacy of the original band.

When you listen to songs like November Rain, Estranged and Coma.. it's hard to believe that Axl was the sole catalyst in the creation of that music.

Look at Madagascar, The Blues, IRS -- these are Axl's creations.

Do they really live up to the past achievements?

-Kickingthehabit

Man, all you do is whine about the new band not being the old band. You only shit yourself out of this music when you compare this lineup to the old one. You wouldn't be satisfied even if this stuff did sound exactly like the old lineup. Don't even comment on this stuff, since you're in love with the old lineup and can't move on. The Blues, IRS, Madagascar are Axl's creations and he's doing damn well with them from what I've heard. You're wrong. People like YOU will be the only ones listening to this while having it overshadowed by the legacy of the original band. We have the old material and we have the new. Both kick ass, just different lineups. 14 years later, and you think it will keep the same sound as the old lineup? Get real. I would absolutely hate Axl's direction if he just went with the old sound. Music is meant to evolve, not stick in the 70s or 80s. Tell VR that. Axl doesn't just conform to what people want Guns to sound like. He takes it and makes sure that he does something new. If people don't like it, such as you, then go listen to the old lineup and VR because Axl is creating fresh new music. I guess some people just can't accept it and that's just sad.

Peace,

Screech

:fuckyou: lol jk

everyone has opinions and those were yours

personally if I.R.S. was supposed to be one of the lesser songs this albums gonna be amazing, i cant wait

James S.

oh yeah, dust you didnt need to say "everyone has a boner over these new songs" thats kinda immature. at least we dont get one over old men :rofl-lol: sorry i really had to say something about it.

Edited by J-Studham

Great point. Unless you have a hit song, you cannot voice an opinion on a song. I swear, you are NOT a moron. Please, don't let anyone ever tell you that you are a moron because you are in fact quite smart.

Again, you are NOT a moron, and only the Beatles may voice opinions on music. Am I allowed to say Beatles? Do you have criteria for that?

Once more: you = NOT a moron

You are nobody to criticize Axl´s music.... Man you dont have a hit like November Rain... when you release a song like that, say everything you want about Axl...

I have a final question? Who you believe you are? Ludwig Van Beethoven? :fuckyou:

Peace,

Screech

And, I do agree that I find nothing new or exciting about these tracks. From what we've heard, nothing lives up to the Guns N' Roses name..

You can't blame listeners for making that claim, either. Rose decided to continue using the name,.. and now, all of his material is going to be overshadowed by the legacy of the original band.

When you listen to songs like November Rain, Estranged and Coma.. it's hard to believe that Axl was the sole catalyst in the creation of that music.

-Kickingthehabit

Man, all you do is whine about the new band not being the old band. You only shit yourself out of this music when you compare this lineup to the old one. You wouldn't be satisfied even if this stuff did sound exactly like the old lineup. Don't even comment on this stuff, since you're in love with the old lineup and can't move on. The Blues, IRS, Madagascar are Axl's creations and he's doing damn well with them from what I've heard. You're wrong. People like YOU will be the only ones listening to this while having it overshadowed by the legacy of the original band. We have the old material and we have the new. Both kick ass, just different lineups. 14 years later, and you think it will keep the same sound as the old lineup? Get real. I would absolutely hate Axl's direction if he just went with the old sound. Music is meant to evolve, not stick in the 70s or 80s. Tell VR that. Axl doesn't just conform to what people want Guns to sound like. He takes it and makes sure that he does something new. If people don't like it, such as you, then go listen to the old lineup and VR because Axl is creating fresh new music. I guess some people just can't accept it and that's just sad.

well said. :)

It will sound GREAT on the album. This is Guns N Roses for Christ sakes. They have never done anything bad. Well at least no bad music is associated with that name. Axl's voice is good. There is nothing out now that touches this. I am being very objective, as I do not eat and breathe GNR. The music is always melodic and complex. It is never boring. They do what another band would take three songs to do, in one. The complexity and honesty of the music is unprecedented. And yes, I do love Zeppelin and Stones. I am also a big Beattles fan. But honestly, Axl has something they all don't.

Look.. I dont post over here too often,, almost never (im a HTGTH guy)

but.. the way I look at it is...

Imagine if you only heard 1:30 sec of Estranged.. or November Rain... or Coma. You wouldn't even have a grasp of how amazing the entire song is. Maybe you'd like it (as some people like better) but.. of corse your not that impressed...

just wait for the full product friends.

I don't understand the complaints. We have waited since TSI for new full length GnR and of course we are going to dive on it. Why is everyone so shocked? I think it's a good PR tool. Test the waters so to speak. I was really bummed with Better, it ended right as it got good.

GnR fans are nothing if not loyal. Throwing us a bone isn't going to kill you. Let us have our day for once.

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds too digital?Or whatever you would want to call this.Good god,what happened to just going into a damn room and playing and hitting the recored button and putting shit down on tape?All this digital shit ruins music.Not just this band either............lots of other bands.But that is what is missing for me,the raw sound of just pure music,not stuff digitally fucked around with.

It just seems the only time this Merck fellow shows himself is when it is something he has to stop, or someone he has to threaten. Is that what management is solely there for? When is there gonna come a point in time when he says: "Guns N' Roses is back, spread the word!" or something positive like that. Thats why nobody likes this creep. He is there to shoot down any sliver of hope that may pop up from time to time.

It just seems the only time this Merck fellow shows himself is when it is something he has to stop, or someone he has to threaten. Is that what management is solely there for? When is there gonna come a point in time when he says: "Guns N' Roses is back, spread the word!" or something positive like that. Thats why nobody likes this creep. He is there to shoot down any sliver of hope that may pop up from time to time.

When the album is done he will say :"Guns N' Roses is back, spread the word!" or something positive like that.

For the moment, we must be patient.

Let me start by saying that I'm as pumped up as everyone about all the latest gnr news and having a chance to hear some of the new stuff.

That being said, there were a few things that stuck out in my opinion with I.R.S. (I haven't heard any of "Better" yet). The intro to the song almost reminds me of Slash's "Obsession Confession" spanish guitar. I suppose it's probably Robin playing on the intro to I.R.S. on the acoustic/electric guitar, and I'm a big fan of his guitar work. However, there's got to be something else they could do besides the drum-machine in the background. I realize this album might be a drastic departure from the old material, but the drum-machine? Let Brian do something else on the drums.

Also, it appears that Axl can still wail. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the leak, and Axl's vocals. But again in the intro, I can't really make-out what he's saying before he goes into "gonna call the president..." And there are a few other instances. Hopefully the full album release will be clearer, as it's always been pretty easy to listen to/follow Axl's lyrics (except maybe "Garden of Eden").

The last solo (is it Buckethead and are his parts still gonna be on the album?) definitely rocks and is a perfect way to end the song.

All in all, I'm fucking fired up to hear more!!

I would call I.R.S. average................but in perspective, if this what Axl has been cooking up for the past decade, then the song is horrible.

I kinda like "Better". To me it has an indie/emo flavor to it. And I'm willing to bet that if Nas really worked with Axl in the past, this is the song that was worked on listening to the intro of the song.

[/quot

I gaurantee that the new TOOL album will be better than Chinese Democracy and i didn't take 1/4 of the time to make.

Ive listened to the clearer IRS version (I had the old one when it was first leaked) and even if this WASNT a demo, it would be an awesome song. It has so much depth, and so many layers all intertwined perfectly. If your not into composition or anything you might not notice or appreciate it, but very few bands can pull of what Guns N' Roses has.

It has so many layers, from effects, to keyboards, to guitarists, to bass, and to have enough room to let Axl be Axl, is truely amazing.

I was skeptical, I will admit it, I didnt think he could pull it off, but he has proven me wrong on all counts, it does have an 'industrial' or at least 'effect laden' undertone, but he still keeps the integrity of rock in tact, he doesnt over do the effects and processing, but uses them just enough to add another flavor to the tunes.

The vocals could be brought out more, but that is something that is fixed in final mastering when its all compressed and the levels are brought to a level playing field and such.

If Chinese Democracy can have tunes of this calibur, then I think it will be a Top 5 album, but I heard the clip for 'Better' and its just that, better. Im at a loss for words, this is the first time Ive ever been REALLY excited about this album. It sounds like Guns N' Roses, but its in a different direction.

I can see the evolution from Use Your Illusions to Chinese Demoracy the same way I saw the evolution from Appetite For Destruction to Use Your Illusions.

I think its safe to say that THIS IS GUNS N ROSES. Great job GNR.

Peace,

Screech

-Kickingthehabit

I think I'm entitled to whine .. considering that I was around when Guns N' Roses first hit the LA scene.

I experienced them first hand during the mid 80's, and when things started to heat up.. I flew to Paris, Argentina, Chicago and New York to watch the greatest fucking rock and roll band on the planet.

I even had a drink with Slash and Duff at the Rainbow -- so, I suppose that gives me reason to remember what they were.

You see, I'm not a fan that can simply turn my back on the very band that represented everyone's life in LA..

Unlike many of the fans on this board,.. I'm not willing to acknowledge what is written on contract. I'm here to acknowledge what was written in history -- and I'm sure you'd agree,.. that's something we all won't forget.

I'm nostalgic in nature.. and I'm sure you are considering the name..

Despite your beliefs, I never degraded Axl's material, nor did I chastise those who truly enjoy it..

I have, however, responded to those who claim that this material is the saving grace of rock. That this material will re-invent the entire Guns N' Roses legacy -- because quite frankly, that's a crock of shit.

I never claimed that I hated the new material.. it's passable -- but since it's labelled a Guns N' Roses effort, I'm forced to say that it doesn't live up to the original bands name.

I think we all have that privilege.

If this project were an 'Axl Rose' solo record.. then I would be fully supportive of his goals. Instead, Rose has taken the easy way out by using the past to enhance his future.

Why do you think the 2002 tour was promoted as the "Triumphant Return of Guns N' Roses"?

Isn't such an admission misleading to the general public? Of course it is.. and that's one of my problems.

If Axl were such a genius and such a trend setter.. why is he living in the past? Why can't he move on when it's obvious that he cannot carry the Guns N' Roses flagship by himself?

Because he owns the name?

What if Paul McCartney continued his career with a new band.. that called themselves 'The Beatles'?

What if Mic Jagger continued his career with a new band.. that called themselves 'The Rolling Stones'?

What if Robert Plant continued his career with a new band.. that called themselves 'Led Zeppelin'?

Would it be right? Of course not..

This is the same Axl Rose who admitted that he would never be able to re-create Guns N' Roses -- watch his 1991 interview with Kurt Loder for more.

And despite your reasoning, Axl has conformed.. and for the worse. The new bands material is made up of simple power chords that can be heard on an Ashlee Simpson record...

Axl isn't doing anything 'new' with his music. When grunge took over hard rock, Axl wanted to make a grunge record. When industrial music became popular, Axl wanted to make an industrial record. He keeps referring to Queen, and Nine Inch Nails..

What about Guns N' Roses? The same band that kicked the door open, and re-invented rock and roll. The same band that didn't conform to the 80's Pop-Metal..

I think I'll stick to Appetite, Lies and the Illusions.. at least that band wasn't built on a gimmick.

Guns N' Roses was more than a name.. it was a group of guys that shared the same soul on stage. I may be living in the past,.. but at least it represented something real.

I wish Axl the best on his record,.. and I hope you all enjoy it -- but it won't be Guns N' Roses.. I promise you that.

-Kickingthehabit

Interesting thoughts.

I 100% disagree. I think BETTER is friggin incredible. And I love the slower, crunchier version of IRS. I couldn't be MORE happy right now from the two new songs.

Just for some perspective - in your opinion what are the "best" guns songs and what do you consider the worst?

I think I'll stick to Appetite, Lies and the Illusions.. at least that band wasn't built on a gimmick.

I'll tell you what, I don't know what you're doing here then. No offense KTH, you're a standup guy and I respect you and your opinions, but these new tracks are SO much better than ANYTHING that has been put out on the radio over the course of the last 5 years. Radiohead and NIN have been the only two bands that have put out very interesting records... Aerosmiths 'Just Push Play' wasn't too bad either... that album is actually turning into one of my favorite Aerosmith albums. Anyway, back to my point, to say these songs are weak and to compare them to Ashley Simpson tunes is just horse shit. Plain and simple.

I feel like GNR around here is like George W. Bush and comments that some people make, in a negative way about GNR, Axl or the new material, are from extreme left wingers hell bent on ruining any kind of reputable thing GNR does. These songs are fantastic... I say even better than GNR's old stuff... especially Illusions. They're OBVIOUSLY better than anything on the radio today, yet, some of these hellbent screwballs keep taking shot after shot at Axl and GNR. It makes you wonder why they're even here if they can't "accept" new GNR as GNR. Jesus, go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Oh, I'm sick of these musical know-it-alls that that say the songs are full of simple riffs and 'stupid' chordes, etc. You know what? Some of the greatest music of all time is composed of simple riffs. See THE BEATLES. Besides, these songs are complex in other ways. Guitars aren't going to be the main instrument to get across the sound. There's going to be a lot of Synth... pop/industrial beats, etc. Lots of layering. You know what AFD was? 5 layers. Illusions? 10 layers, tops. Most of that vocal echoing. This album? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't 20 layers in some of them.... at least in the studio recordings.

Bottom line... it doesn't matter if anyone thinks these tunes are 'simple' that any 3rd grader could pull off. What matters is the music's popularity with the mainstream. And, in all honesty, if these songs don't appeal to the mainstream, I'll hang myself from my testicles with a poster of Slash hanging overhead. That's not going to happen though. Of the new songs we've heard... Madagascar...The Blues...IRS... Better... and potentially even Chinese Democracy... all top 10 caliber songs.

If you don't hear it, you're only fooling yourself.

Edited by Matt13

But again in the intro, I can't really make-out what he's saying before he goes into "gonna call the president..."

'Is it true.

What they say of you?'

Um - The Intro to IRS (The acoustic part) reminds me of the intro the 'The Rain Song' by Zep. Axl's vocal melodies during the "What could I do" part are full on Robert Plant. The drums at the very beginning of the song are likely the Radiohead inspired 'Hip Hip Beats' that Axl had mentioned.

I like the new stuff we've heard. I'll leave it at that. - :ph34r:

Edited by Ions