There Was A Time Better than NR?

wasted

Unfortunately, TWAT is only a demo at this time. Even with a final product, being released as a single would still not compare it with NR. I love TWAT and the new band, but NR has had a long time to grow and to evolve into an epic song in people's minds. A demo leaked onto the internet with absolutely no feedback from the general public and barely any live performances does not get the benefit of the doubt here.

Give TWAT time, but to claim it's better than NR already is just weird. Sure, have that taste if you prefer, but it's really still a demo. At least wait until we hear it on the album.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed that TWAT is better than NR, but Fall to Pieces is better than both.

:o

dude, fall to pieces is so cliche! it was played out before i even heard it.

BLASPHEMY!

FTP is the theme music for heaven! Anyone that doesn't like it lacks the testicular fortitude of the greatness of it.

The new material was interesting because we all were starved for songs....we would have eaten a shit sandwhich at that point. Ofcourse the songs don't hold up, its middle of the road stuff that will be forgotten a year after the album releases. None of these songs have any staying power imho. For someone moving on to newer things, the lyrics of the new songs and their arrangements are firmly rooted in the past imho.

Edited by SylvesterStallone

TWAT is the one song I can listen to at anytime without having to skip it.. it really is that good, I can't get enough of the 3 min solos!

I absolutely love the tiny part from 3:23 I think, that part of the song that is remarkably characteristic and that you can whistle around for hours!

TWAT is the one song I can listen to at anytime without having to skip it.. it really is that good, I can't get enough of the 3 min solos!

I absolutely love the tiny part from 3:23 I think, that part of the song that is remarkably characteristic and that you can whistle around for hours!

Yeah TWAT is kind of a boring song but the solos are great. If I'm not mistaken, it's Mr. Buckethead doing them. There are actually people on this forum who would like to have his work removed from these songs. Imagine how TWAT would sound without Buckethead....

Buckethead's work may actually save Chinese Democracy and help it live up to the old band's legacy. Maybe.

All the new songs are growers.

You seriously think IRS gets better with every listen? I shit my pants the first time I heard it (just hearing Axl's studio voice again was such a buzz) but it really doesn't have any legs, imo.

no shit mister obvious.... :lol:

Yeah TWAT is kind of a boring song but the solos are great. If I'm not mistaken, it's Mr. Buckethead doing them. There are actually people on this forum who would like to have his work removed from these songs. Imagine how TWAT would sound without Buckethead....

Buckethead's work may actually save Chinese Democracy and help it live up to the old band's legacy. Maybe.

Yeah, really. I hated Buckethead when he was in the band but after hearing Ron live and listening to TWAT I think he may be one of the saving graces of CD and his contributions may help it up a notch.

Someone said Bucket is a solo guy - I don't think so. His solo work absolutely sucks - I have about five or six of his albums, they're boring as hell. I think he's the type of guy like Slash who needs to bounce ideas off of bandmembers. Axl and Bucket were polar opposites and after hearing the demos I think that shines through in the album - there's a nice contrast between their musical characteristics.

Whereas it seems to be judging from live performances Ron just plays what he's hired to play. No offense, he's a great guy in terms of how nice he is to fans, but I don't think he fits in the band.

I don't want Buckethead parts to go.. I think Bucket does an amazing job in TWAT!

btw, I was confused, the part I was talking about goes from 5:26 to 5:32, love it!!

although the part from 3:20 with all the voices singing "yeah there was a time didn't want to know it all.." is awesome too rock3

Wow. A lot of different opinions in this thread. It just shows how subjective music really is. And it's nice to see this didn't degenerate into an old vs. new argument - both sides made some good points.

I think it's a tough call. I actually liked wasted's evaluation of both songs. Face it, November Rain is fairly plodding and repetitive. It could have used a change up or two before the outro. I mean, over seven minutes before the outro don't we need that? Other long songs Guns did had those moments. Estranged has three distinct parts. Coma has at least three. Rocket Queen has two (and it isn't even that long). NR is still a great song though. Why did I underline that? Because I know after reading this that some people will assume I hate it. I don't. I love it. It's not perfect though.

I feel TWAT is a lot more dynamic and we move from one part to another to another in more rapid fashion, then ending with that killer Bucket outro. The different musical elements used give the song a dark feel, the end is sort of like controlled chaos. I think it does have more direction. TWAT may be better than NR (maybe), but I don't think it can top Estranged. Nor can it top Breakdown. Or a host of other old songs that are timeless GN'R classics.

I tend to agree that NR is an overrated Guns song. It isn't in their top ten IMO. I'd probably put it from 15-20, which isn't a slam on the song. GN'R just has so many great songs to choose from.

On a side note, why does You Ain't the First get bashed so much? Beautiful acoustic song, short and to the point, hilarious lyrics. It's fuckin' ace.

Can't agree with wasted about everything though. AFD is as great today as it ever was. I love the new songs, but none of them are better than WTTJ, Brownstone, SCOM, PC, Nightrain, or RQ. Most of the other songs on that album aren't too far behind those top six.

Edited by KBear

I think so. I have always been baffled at why people love NR so much. It is so repetitive and boring until the end . Coma is far better with better guitar work. Actually I could name at least 10 songs off of UYI 1 that I feel are better. NR has always been one of the most overated GNR tunes IMHO. I like the guitar work and tones all throughout TWAT---

I stand by this comment and will add that NR is so popular because it was force fed to the world by MTV. It's amazing what a stupid video can do. Just ask Britney, Christina, and the boy bands. Most true fans and musicians knows that Coma is the creative masterpiece and true classic of UYI 1------

November Rain = The most overrated GNR song, by far. It's not structured very well, the lyrics are fairly drippy, and it's just too long. The solos absolutely rock, but that's all.

There Was a Time is much, much darker, and I feel it's a much more interesting and emotionally engaging tune - Way better lyrics, and those solos... Man, those solos are amazing and truly heartwrenching.

As for the other new songs stacking up to old GNR stuff, I think every new tune is by far better than 3/4 of the Use Your Illusions - Most fans seem to really like those albums, but save for about 6-7 tracks, I think the entire UYI project was pretty average-to-subpar. (and oddly enough, I dig You Ain't the First).

So far, Chinese Democracy beats either UYI by a fairly large margin as far as I'm concerned - Will it beat AFD? Damned if I know. It's possible, but it'd take something truly special to beat that album (which itself isn't quite perfect - I hate Anything Goes - But that album is still damn close.)

it sure would be nice if bucket's parts stayed, and BBF redid robin's parts.

WTF? Are you kidding? Buckets parts have to be erased, or he'll forever be etched into the GNR soul!

and about new songs: its all about personal taste...

Edited by markyboy101

it sure would be nice if bucket's parts stayed, and BBF redid robin's parts.

WTF? Are you kidding? Buckets parts have to be erased, or he'll forever be etched into the GNR soul!

but if bucket wrote the shit, he is already "etched into the GNR soul". the only remedy for that is to take out every hint of influence that bucket has on the album, and that would be a waste.

i'm aware that my aforementioned posts is quite frivolous (sp, i know), but it would be nice.

Ok. I was blown away by Better, I couldn't believe it. A non- GNR sounding song which is just the best thing I ever heard. I don't think it diminished I just wasn't shocked anymore. But TWAT takes a bit longer to build until it clicks and I was think this is GNR, this could only be GNR. It's sort of November Rain meets Garden of Eden.

Is it a pure love song? Like Nov Rain or is it about something else?

These leaks really proved that GNR is still GNR, it's not turned into some kind of industrial techno freakshow.