There Was A Time Better than NR?

wasted

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! NR is just an overproduced wankfest of a song which was much better without the piano

Now... that's a bit harsh, I think that NR is a masterpiece, one of the last few masterpieces in Rock N Roll..... before Nirvana came along and masterpieces didn't matter as much as out of tune guitars and power chords. When it's played live the emotion in the place is unbelievable..... Whether It's Richard or Slash or Ron Or Bucket.... the feeling is still the same because the music is fantastic. I believe that TWAT is a return towards that kind of feeling, it tells a truthful story about Axl's Relationship with Stephanie and I think is one of the best GnR songs of all time.

Edited by Graeme

I can't believe people are actually trying to put the new demos/leaks into the same league as the songs from AFD or UYI...... The new demos/leaks are, at best, decent. Where people are getting the words 'epic' or 'masterpiece' from when listening to these leaks and demos, I have no clue.... at best, I would say these leaks and demos are 'ok' compared to what's out today but nowhere near the quality of stuff from AFD or UYI.

TWAT analysis

Ok tight intro

"Broken glass and cigarettes" - bad ass lyrics.

Perfect blending of hip hop beats and a solo effect.

It's already taking off and Axl's are weaving out the story so well.

By the second break we are ready for the first solo and that cool acoustic background strumming.

This is a proper song, the solos take the song forward.

Cue the uplifting Chorus.

There was a time

Didin't want to know it all

Yeah there was a time

Didnt want to know it all

still don't dont wanna know it all"

Kick ass.

The song is really kicking ass now. Axl has stepped it up, cue solo coda.

Solo is going epic as Axl is really nailing this shit, now theres choir coming in.

Outro mimics intro. Total classic.

No gay sighing or wanky guitar solos all in under 6 minutes. Felt like 3 minutes. Whereas Nov Rain comes in 10 minutes and has no good lyrics or solos and doesnt build up, just wanders around and then changes its mind.

I read the thread and it's ok to have any opinion in my books but there is something you seem to forget when it's about lyrics. NR was written as A. Rose was almost a teenager and TWAT when he was an adult. Maybe you should bear that into consideration before you criticized too much.

As a teenage these lyrics do not sound "cheesy" they're felt and correspond to the special state o'mind you're in at that age.

As for TWAT, you necessarily write this kind of stuff when you're balls have been kicked out of somebody's.... sorry... I'm being too graphic here... but you get the idea.

as for the music, I do not consider TWAT better that NR nor the opposite, I do hear them both as songs with great potential, for NR, we already know, so let's see for TWAT.

When I play the instrumental I have, I do love it.

As for the melody, there are things I don't like whereas in NR I love each part.

Did that mean anything? :xmassrudolph:

Agreed that TWAT is better than NR, but Fall to Pieces is better than both.

Not really in my books...the melody in fall to pieces isn't that catchy for me.

But let's not make a VR vs GNR here pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

hehe..start dreaming buddy :P nothing beats NR ;)

NO!!! :P nothing beats Estranged.

No gay sighing or wanky guitar solos all in under 6 minutes. Felt like 3 minutes. Whereas Nov Rain comes in 10 minutes and has no good lyrics or solos and doesnt build up, just wanders around and then changes its mind.

Youre right, Fincks guitar solos blow Slash's in NR out of the water :rolleyes:

most of the new songs suck, but the 'die-hards' can't realize it

& MY WORLD is a good song, so is SILKWORMS.

Yeah, I'm sure that since every single person whom I have shown Better to (around 20-30 people) must have liked the song because they were 'die-hards' and not just fans of the music. Heh, you think your opinion is fact? Hah.

I just heard better for the first time, it's pretty good...

it would be excellent if it was on Axl Rose solo album or new band rather then GUNS N ROSES...

First Post!

& MY WORLD is a good song, so is SILKWORMS.

Yeah, I'm sure that since every single person whom I have shown Better to (around 20-30 people) must have liked the song because they were 'die-hards' and not just fans of the music. Heh, you think your opinion is fact? Hah.

I just heard better for the first time, it's pretty good...

it would be excellent if it was on Axl Rose solo album or new band rather then GUNS N ROSES...

First Post!

Welcome to the Forum!!! :)

it sure would be nice if bucket's parts stayed, and BBF redid robin's parts.

Do you like anything Robin has done, quad? The solo in Better, the first one in TWAT. They are great solos and they must stay! We don't need Ron coming in and doing some fast shit, we already have Bucket's fast shit in those songs already, and I doubt Ron could do it any better than that. This is GN'R remember...the slower more melodic solos are part of what makes the band great.

Bucket's stuff is fantastic. I want this album to be authentic. We got the Illusions with Izzy on them. We got the songs as they were written. Not some other guy coming in to play parts that are not his. (Yes, I know by that time it was too late to have Gilby re-do the parts, that doesn't really matter). Bottom line is Izzy wrote the parts and Izzy played them. If Bucket's work is deemed good enough to stay on the album then I want to hear Bucket playing it. And good thing for me, cuz it looks like that is how it's gonna be.

And Axl loves Robin. If there is one guy who takes over Robin's stuff that would be Slash because of his significance to the band's past. Nobody else. And that's not happening any time soon either.

It boggles my mind how anyone could prefer TWAT to NR. Really, I just can't understand it.

It's all about taste mate. For many people at this point in time 'There Was A Time' has something special that 'November Rain' doesn't. It's fresh and the lyrics are litteraly first class.

Rubbish. 'Fall to Pieces' is a great song but the other 2 smash it out the water.

TWAT doesn't really work without the guitar solos though....it's like it was written around the guitar solos. November Rain is beautiful on piano and acoustic guitar as we know from the old demos. The only thing NR suffers from is crappy mixing and plodding drumming which plagued the illusion albums....

I think Finck is an above average writer...but an average guitar player at best. Him playing with the likes of Buckethead and Ron Thal is a joke. Those guys are so far out of his league it's not even funny.

Nr is better than twat in every way.

The lyric in NR are beautiful because they are simple. One of the things that NR suffered from was its bombast flamboyant instrumentals--it did not fit the lyrics. Otherwise the song is great, classic, timeless, etc.

Twat on the other is just ok/good at its best parts. Least fav of all the leaks.

On a side note, I think the new stuff ranges from good to great musically. The songs are better than some of the original bands songs aside from the classics of course. I personally don't like to compare them to much. I just like to enjoy them in their own seperate goodness :)

TWAT is a good song, but the winner by far is November Rain. Everything about it is perfect-a true classic song in every since. There is no way TWAT will have the staying power of NR.

I think the real 'die-hards' are the fans of the old band that refuse to even give any of the new songs a chance.

Ha, thats what I always thought, and it makes more sense.

I think really GNR is about consistency. All the songs are of a high standard. But some of the new ones make the old seem a bit cheesey. It was a different time and they were in classic rock mode. I do believe that the music has been worked on more this time round. So it's more interesting if you like music.

It boggles my mind how anyone could prefer TWAT to NR. Really, I just can't understand it.

It's all about taste mate. For many people at this point in time 'There Was A Time' has something special that 'November Rain' doesn't. It's fresh and the lyrics are litteraly first class.

Rubbish. 'Fall to Pieces' is a great song but the other 2 smash it out the water.

good post! i totally agree about your feeling on twat

I think the real 'die-hards' are the fans of the old band that refuse to even give any of the new songs a chance.

I agree. The fact that most of the "die hards" seem to put every new song below most songs on the Use Your Illusions just blows my mind - The new songs (every single one of them) have so much more creativity, energy, and spark than most tracks on either UYI, yet people seem to still prefer said UYI tracks in all their mediocrity *shrug*.

I mean, some won't even place a single new GNR song over a POS like Anything Goes - Simply because it was on AFD - Which is just sad.