The Estranged Video: So ridiculous it's great?

Vincent Vega

I like it that after Axl jumps off that tanker, he pretty much wasn't seen again until after the turn of the millennium.

It's a shame that they made the "Since I Don't have You" video.

Honestly as over the top as it is. It could have been savable, but that moment Slash hovers down the street playing a guitar and rises out of water make the band look silly. The bad CGI Dolphins flying out of the screen just make the video look silly.

I like it that after Axl jumps off that tanker, he pretty much wasn't seen again until after the turn of the millennium.

It's a shame that they made the "Since I Don't have You" video.

Honestly as over the top as it is. It could have been savable, but that moment Slash hovers down the street playing a guitar and rises out of water make the band look silly. The bad CGI Dolphins flying out of the screen just make the video look silly.

I forgot about Since I don't Have You. Didn't that actually come out around the same time the Estranged video did?

Andy Morahan:

"By the time we got to "Estranged", Axl had split up with Stephanie Seymour, and he said, "I never want a girl in a video again. I'd rather go out with a dolphin". Which is why I put dolphins all over the video. I've been asked by students about the metaphorical imagery in those videos, and I'm like, "Fuck if I know".

"It was like Spinal Tap with money. I still don't know why, in "November Rain", you only see half of Stephanie Seymour's face in the coffin."

Andy Morahan:

"By the time we got to "Estranged", Axl had split up with Stephanie Seymour, and he said, "I never want a girl in a video again. I'd rather go out with a dolphin". Which is why I put dolphins all over the video. I've been asked by students about the metaphorical imagery in those videos, and I'm like, "Fuck if I know".

"It was like Spinal Tap with money. I still don't know why, in "November Rain", you only see half of Stephanie Seymour's face in the coffin."

Lol. I hadn't heard that quote before. I love shit like that. I guess the "why" doesn't really matter.

Like John Lennon said: "I just write the words, you make up the meaning."

Edited by Mr. Dude

The whole 'trilogy' was simply embarrassing, woeful, stuff which destroyed Guns N' Roses's reputation.

By the time Estranged came out, TSI was out, and Estranged just seemed like their way of wrapping up all things UYI at the time. It came across as this being the end of a journey. It didn't make sense to put a video out of a close to 10 minute song, of a 2 year old album. If they tried to make the "trilogy" now, it probably would be have had a story to it, sold on DVD, shown on IFC uncut, and made before the album came out.

The whole 'trilogy' was simply embarrassing, woeful, stuff which destroyed Guns N' Roses's reputation.

By the time Estranged came out, TSI was out, and Estranged just seemed like their way of wrapping up all things UYI at the time. It came across as this being the end of a journey. It didn't make sense to put a video out of a close to 10 minute song, of a 2 year old album. If they tried to make the "trilogy" now, it probably would be have had a story to it, sold on DVD, shown on IFC uncut, and made before the album came out.

That's what I always thought too- that the timing of the Estranged video and its proximity to the SI release of punk covers- highlighted even more just how excessive and indulgent those vids were. Conversely, an album full of punk covers when stood up next to epics like Estranged, November Rain might have seemed lazy.

I dunno about that, i seem to remember NR being top of MTVs video charts for months on end

I think that people still remember those videos so vividly is proof of their success. I get the criticisms of excess and indulgence- but thats GNR. It would have been more embarrassing if they still tried to act like they were a punk band.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty cool when I was 12 years old...then again Steven Seagal movies seemed pretty cool then too :monkey:

That's pretty much where I stand, I watched the making of piece, and it's pretty clear only Axl is into the song and the concept of the video. Everybody else is pretty "meh" about it.

I love the song and the video. Dolphins are amazing.

When I first saw the video in 1993, I was happy and I didn't know who the people coming out of Axl's house were. 20 years later now I know who they are and it's a bummer, but that's ok :/

I like all of gnr's videos including Estranged and Since I don't have you, but I do think that Estranged is well....strange. I'm not sure that it makes any sense, I doubt it makes any sense to Axl at this point either. It was a mistake in 1993, and showed how uncool gnr had become to the whole grunge scene.

I like all of gnr's videos including Estranged and Since I don't have you, but I do think that Estranged is well....strange. I'm not sure that it makes any sense, I doubt it makes any sense to Axl at this point either. It was a mistake in 1993, and showed how uncool gnr had become to the whole grunge scene.

I don't recall the artist but they were saying how great GnR was until they started taking themselves too seriously and they used the "pretentious" video of Estranged to make their point.

Still one of the best rock ballads of all time though.

I dunno about that, i seem to remember NR being top of MTVs video charts for months on end

'MTV'? That sort of supports my point.

How old are you, out of curiosity? Because back when NR was the top video on MTV, MTV was actually still pretty cool. They played videos, had the week in rock news show, and hadn't become the reality whore network that it is now. I agree with you that MTV is pointless in 2014, but not in 1992.

The NR video is awesome and one of the best music videos ever made (I don't think I even have to say IMO, even MTV and other video networks would agree with that.) But Estranged on the other hand is "when a great band makes a bad video moment." I don't even know what other bands/videos to compare it to. It's kinda on an island all by itself....