This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

I think a lot are whining (including me) because we just realized we had too much hope for NewGNR. We have the secret dream that GnR will become one more time the biggest band on the planet.

But clearly Axl did not prepare the show thus it is a huge disappointement for us, wishing the band at the top.

That sux because other guys in the band were great. But to see Axl not caring about his return, that's sad.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean all the bitching, whining, complaining morons will leave this board? If so, Axl is a genius.

This is a very interesting topic, possibly worthy of it's own thread. For years, I've been continually stunned at how Axl manages to suck more and more, and how shitty Chinese Democracy was, etc... But I'd never stopped to consider that was part of his master plan all along... He's been playing possum, pretending to be a bloated, washed-up, off-key has-been joke just so he could run all his fans away from the forums, leaving a Utopian paradise for his last 10 obssesive lunatics... then AND ONLY THEN will expectations be low enough to release the second-tier songs from the Chinese Democracy sessions.

It's actually quite brilliant, and makes me reconsider how badly Axl's sucked for the last generation.

Edited by jarvispmitchell

Haters are hating too much, diehards are praising too much. Let's look at reality here.

Good:

The band. There should be no more questioning DJ's ability. His solo saved an Axl screw-up. The band had a couple glitches, but that's rock n roll. I give the band a solid A.

Estranged was pretty awesome. Axl also sang well pm TIL, heavens door, and a couple other songs. Estranged was definitely a home run.

And I like the mickey mouse voice, not sure why some people don't.

Bad:

Axl started the show out of breath. He was out of shape, his voice was terrible for the first few songs.

Screwing up lyrics is one thing. Even tom Brady throws interceptions. But being out of breath and out of shape.....not acceptable. Listen to Better or the start of YCBM. Embarrassingly bad.

Why is GnR the only band in the world that ALWAYS has technical problems?

No new songs. They could have given us one new song. Even if its not on the next album. Just something as a treat for those of us who have supported Axl and the band for the last decade or two.

The cold, the rain, difference in sound on tv compared to live......none of that is why Axl was out of shape and couldn't sing half the songs.

Time to hire a real manager and producer. Let beta run your personal life. But time to have people in the music world help you musically. Heck, let DJ have control of the band for the next five years. We will get a couple albums, the band will rehearse together, music videos, interviews, etc.

I give the band an A. Axl gets a C. Overall performance a C-. Axl in shape, estranged, a new song or two and this is a Home Run that all the music world is talking about. It really is that simple.

Does this mean all the bitching, whining, complaining morons will leave this board? If so, Axl is a genius.

:rofl-lol: We are not that lucky!!!

No your not. You've been on a streak of baaaaad luck.

Good, now run along and brag to all your little flunkies on some other gnr site about how you're trolling this forum good! You should be very proud of your accomplishments on the internet. Maybe one day you will accomplish something in the real world.

This is a very interesting topic, possibly worthy of it's own thread. For years, I've been continually stunned at how Axl manages to suck more and more, and how shitty Chinese Democracy was, etc... But I'd never stopped to consider that was part of his master plan all along... He's been playing possum, pretending to be a bloated, washed-up, off-key has-been joke just so he could run all his fans away from the forums, leaving a Utopian paradise for his last 10 obssesive lunatics... then AND ONLY THEN will expectations be low enough to release the second-tier songs from the Chinese Democracy sessions.

It's actually quite brilliant, and makes me reconsider how badly Axl's sucked for the last generation.

Orrrr maybe it's Beta's fault, and he didn't want to be there. And didn't practice. But I'm hoping all the whiners will leave.

The concept of rust... what a radical concept.

Are you going to leave forever yet? I'm waiting.

After watching RIR, I thought back to GNR circa 2006 and watched some of those clips. GNR '06 blows this performance out of the water, and frankly the comparison is not even close-- and that's a scary thought. I really think without a complete Axl turn around we are all witnessing the true beginning of the end of nu Guns.

Axl showed last night that he no longer cares, if he cant get motivated to blow RIR out of the water, what makes you think that he's going to give a shit about playing venues in the midwest in the middle of winter?

Just one man's opinion and I hope that I'm wrong.

Well no rant, no nothing except Estranged. A "surprise" doesn't make up for a fucking huge amateurism that Axl showed tonight. Worst vocals ever (2001 terrible voice back again), wrong lyrics, auto-pilot setlist (TWAT and Prostitute were planned.. lol). You don't do Rock in Rio when you're this unprepared. Evanescence was 1000 times better than GNR. Don't get me wrong: DJ was amazing (out of all 3 guitarists, he's the most pro, he brought a new solo because he KNOWS IT'S A FUCKING NEW TOUR. Heads up DJ), Bumblefoot fucking nailed all of his parts amazing as hell considering his state, Fortus rocks as ever, and the rest of the band was pretty square as well.

But Axl sucked balls. Terribly out of shape (it's like we're back in 2009 when he was forgivable considering what happened with the CD release and all the trials and shit that happened to him), terribly out of tune, he totally butchered November Rain, his own song, a song he has played hundreds of times before, even the band didn't understand what the fuck he was doing. I gotta admit I was impressed he got everything right about Estranged (except the sighs and little sounds he used to do but can't blame him since it's been so long) but on all of the other songs, it's like he didn't rehearse shit.

I'm one of GNR most hardcore fans, I defended them throughout ALL TOUR last year as you know, because there were surprises, good vocals and given the mess that was the CD release, i forgave Axl.

But Axl had A FULL YEAR to prepare for Rock in Rio, nothing was stopping him from being great. Instead it's like he waited the very last moment to rehearse Estranged (twice according to him) and looks like he didn't use his voice at all this year.

He let his voice die once again. He completely RUINED everything for the upcoming US tour. He looks really bad, this facelift/botox whatever it is doesn't help, but damn HIT THE GYM like every other major singer does, look at Steven Tyler for christ's sake, one of your models, older than you are. I don't understand what's in his head. If he doesn't seriously hit the gym and train his vocals, then GNR is fucking over. If Axl succeeded in maintaining GNR alive, it's because he's always kept some edge, some rants, something that make him be Axl. Even in 2001, his physical shape and rants did make up for the terrible vocals. Here, there was absolutely nothing to back up the voice catastrophee.

This show was exactly the same as any of the show last year except there was estranged and the vocals were a lot worse. How can y ou set on a new tour when you don't totally renew your setlist and intentions?

And where are the rants? Axl is slowly vanishing from the face of the earth. He appears to live safe at home with Beta and he's forgotten the danger. GNR spirit is dying. I don't even recognizing him physically. I'm fucking disappointed. I'd rate this show 2 stars out of 5, one being for Estranged and one for the amazing band that DO practice the songs and rock like hell. But overall, let's be honest, it was a BAD show, BAD vocals, WRONG lyrics, NO surprise, it's unforgivable for an event such as Rock in Rio.

Axl, you've become a fucking amateur. You were such a pro back in the days, playing Coma out of nowhere, and now you can't even play november rain properly. Fucking disappointment. I hate myself for writing this, I should probably shut the fuck up, deal with it and forget for GNR and just wait for an hypothetical CD II with buckethead leftovers.

But GNR's records aren't as important for me as Axl's attitude and Axl's spirit. GNR to me has always been about attitude, fucking the establishment and putting up a great show with professionalism and a sense of perfection. Look at Estranged played in Tokyo in 1992. Damn it was pristine.

Now, on every single song, there's a lyric forgotten or Axl's voice isn't there. It's a catastrophee. Axl is totally losing it. Retiring now would be better or fucking train and rehearse like fuck for months before going on a tour. Look at Evanescence, it was perfect. She trained well. Having the GNR legacy doesn't excuse everything. How perfect GNR was in the 80's and 90's don't excuse everything. Life is about work, hard work, perfectionism, rage. Axl, you're losing it.

FUCK YOU. so his vocals were off last night. give the man a fucking break. and a thread about him being on drugs. YOUR ALL IDIOTS.

Well no rant, no nothing except Estranged. A "surprise" doesn't make up for a fucking huge amateurism that Axl showed tonight. Worst vocals ever (2001 terrible voice back again), wrong lyrics, auto-pilot setlist (TWAT and Prostitute were planned.. lol). You don't do Rock in Rio when you're this unprepared. Evanescence was 1000 times better than GNR. Don't get me wrong: DJ was amazing (out of all 3 guitarists, he's the most pro, he brought a new solo because he KNOWS IT'S A FUCKING NEW TOUR. Heads up DJ), Bumblefoot fucking nailed all of his parts amazing as hell considering his state, Fortus rocks as ever, and the rest of the band was pretty square as well.

But Axl sucked balls. Terribly out of shape (it's like we're back in 2009 when he was forgivable considering what happened with the CD release and all the trials and shit that happened to him), terribly out of tune, he totally butchered November Rain, his own song, a song he has played hundreds of times before, even the band didn't understand what the fuck he was doing. I gotta admit I was impressed he got everything right about Estranged (except the sighs and little sounds he used to do but can't blame him since it's been so long) but on all of the other songs, it's like he didn't rehearse shit.

I'm one of GNR most hardcore fans, I defended them throughout ALL TOUR last year as you know, because there were surprises, good vocals and given the mess that was the CD release, i forgave Axl.

But Axl had A FULL YEAR to prepare for Rock in Rio, nothing was stopping him from being great. Instead it's like he waited the very last moment to rehearse Estranged (twice according to him) and looks like he didn't use his voice at all this year.

He let his voice die once again. He completely RUINED everything for the upcoming US tour. He looks really bad, this facelift/botox whatever it is doesn't help, but damn HIT THE GYM like every other major singer does, look at Steven Tyler for christ's sake, one of your models, older than you are. I don't understand what's in his head. If he doesn't seriously hit the gym and train his vocals, then GNR is fucking over. If Axl succeeded in maintaining GNR alive, it's because he's always kept some edge, some rants, something that make him be Axl. Even in 2001, his physical shape and rants did make up for the terrible vocals. Here, there was absolutely nothing to back up the voice catastrophee.

This show was exactly the same as any of the show last year except there was estranged and the vocals were a lot worse. How can y ou set on a new tour when you don't totally renew your setlist and intentions?

And where are the rants? Axl is slowly vanishing from the face of the earth. He appears to live safe at home with Beta and he's forgotten the danger. GNR spirit is dying. I don't even recognizing him physically. I'm fucking disappointed. I'd rate this show 2 stars out of 5, one being for Estranged and one for the amazing band that DO practice the songs and rock like hell. But overall, let's be honest, it was a BAD show, BAD vocals, WRONG lyrics, NO surprise, it's unforgivable for an event such as Rock in Rio.

Axl, you've become a fucking amateur. You were such a pro back in the days, playing Coma out of nowhere, and now you can't even play november rain properly. Fucking disappointment. I hate myself for writing this, I should probably shut the fuck up, deal with it and forget for GNR and just wait for an hypothetical CD II with buckethead leftovers.

But GNR's records aren't as important for me as Axl's attitude and Axl's spirit. GNR to me has always been about attitude, fucking the establishment and putting up a great show with professionalism and a sense of perfection. Look at Estranged played in Tokyo in 1992. Damn it was pristine.

Now, on every single song, there's a lyric forgotten or Axl's voice isn't there. It's a catastrophee. Axl is totally losing it. Retiring now would be better or fucking train and rehearse like fuck for months before going on a tour. Look at Evanescence, it was perfect. She trained well. Having the GNR legacy doesn't excuse everything. How perfect GNR was in the 80's and 90's don't excuse everything. Life is about work, hard work, perfectionism, rage. Axl, you're losing it.

FUCK YOU. so his vocals were off last night. give the man a fucking break. and a thread about him being on drugs. YOUR ALL IDIOTS.

fuck you. i've been giving him a break for 15 years.

and learn some grammar, for fuck's sake.

Orrrr maybe it's Beta's fault, and he didn't want to be there. And didn't practice. But I'm hoping all the whiners will leave.

The concept of rust... what a radical concept.

Are you going to leave forever yet? I'm waiting.

I was thinking about leaving forever, until you shared that theory that Axl's been sucking for years intentionally just to play possum. I can't leave now that you've given me a glimmer of hope that Axl may actually do something that doesn't suck again. I'm all in now, baby...

I'm watching the Ritz '88 show, there is a world of difference in the emotion and drive the band (specifically Axl) put out back then that is not there today.

Honestly an old show from 1988 has fuck all to do with what we are talking about.

It was a comparitive post analyzing Axls performance from back then and now. Don't like the post, ignore it then

This is why I love this board Axl has an off night vut on Wednesday if we get good reviews or clips where the rasp is back a little everyone is back on the Axl train i mean just relax guys this happens every tour he and the band will be fine

Yeah but come on, he's had one year off.

We've been waiting for this show for how many months ?

This was the perfect stage to show what the current band can do...and he could not do any better than this ?

Let's not even begin with his attitude towards the end of the show...

I think that Axl handled the whole situation bad. I mean, why he didn't sing end lyrics of november rain? And acted like a baby when singing patience, just standing there and watching to a horizon but

again it's nothing new on his part. Just look the gnr history like the show in Paris -92, where he is pissed off, skip to 22.03 and see for yourself..

Edited by gunnari

CD does not suck. Just because it is not a POP album like AFD doesn't mean it sucks.

CD is a brilliant album for which GnR has received many praises from other musicians.

After watching it second time it wasn't so bad and it wasn't disaster. Of course Axl fucked up Big time being out of shape, out of breath etc - Better and You Could Be Mine were really. really bad. But first 4 songs were ok, Sorry was good. TIL, Nightrain, KOHD, Paradise City, SCOM were great, of course not the best versions of those songs but still good versions, Estranged was awesome, I liked Patience a lot up to certain point as well.

Estranged and Dj's solo 'Mi Amore' were the highlights...the other song performances varied from really bad up to mediocre (except for the band, they were tight). After 'Ballad of Death' Dj impressed AGAIN with his OWN material.

The vocals were off.... but the VOCALS ARE THE ONLY DRAW FOR THE CONCERT. When you're the original guy, the guy who wrote the lyrics, and you have the voice that separated you from the pack and made a unique sound, it's your thing - you better show up!

Going to out of tune, clean voice, falsetto is not what the fans want, it's not the way the songs were written for, it's not the way they're meant to be performed, and it doesn't even sound consistent. He needs to figure his crap out.

BTW one thing has been bothering me, I didn't notice it during the broadcast. Did someone from the crowd throw the stormtrooper helmet on stage or did BBF bring it?

Because if it came from the audience I can understand he would like to fuck around with it for fun and for the person that threw it. But if it was his own helmet... holy shit, that would be ridiculous.

fuck you. i've been giving him a break for 15 years.

and learn some grammar, for fuck's sake.

I think that's the worst part about it, is most of us have been giving him a break for 15 years. Judging by a lot of the RIR reaction a lot of die hards are starting to turn. No bueno, Axl. No bueno.

#InAxlWeTrust