VMA performance was 10 years ago today

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Richard Fortus is, was, and will always be one of the best showmen and guitarists out there. When I saw this performance I was taken back by his stage presence.

Also looking back, Axl did not sound as bad as everyone made it out to be. Also, I bet if he wasn't with braids, and had his look now, he would have been judged much more differently. But you know what, kudos to Axl for looking however the fuck he wanted to look, and bringing out characters like Bucket and Finck with no regards what anyone would think. That my friends is true rock n roll.

dude, thats like a triple fail or something.

axl sounded whiny and pathetic.

and how the band looked back then, it was a very planned thing, in my opinion. he was going for the comic book looking band thing, which would have been iconic if the music had worked & the band stayed together.

check out U2 'Pop' era. he picked the general idea up from there among other sources I would suspect.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Fortus is, was, and will always be one of the best showmen and guitarists out there. When I saw this performance I was taken back by his stage presence.

Also looking back, Axl did not sound as bad as everyone made it out to be. Also, I bet if he wasn't with braids, and had his look now, he would have been judged much more differently. But you know what, kudos to Axl for looking however the fuck he wanted to look, and bringing out characters like Bucket and Finck with no regards what anyone would think. That my friends is true rock n roll.

and how the band looked back then, it was a very planned thing, in my opinion. he was going for the comic book looking band thing, which would have been iconic if the music had worked & the band stayed together.

check out U2 'Pop' era. he picked the general idea up from there among other sources I would suspect.

would have been iconic if the music had worked & the band stayed together[2]

You see things your way, I see them my way....

:-)

Edited by ohmygod

The closest I ever came to dropping this band completely was this atrocious shithole of a performance. This is how you do pathetic right.

In retrospect, it's probably the only reason I'm still a fan today. As bad as Axl has been for the last year, he hasn't dug down deep to reach the level of pure suck that he did with this travesty.

I remember that night waiting on the VMA show ,which sucked ass to get to the end just for GNR moment.

Opening scream was fantastic.

He did get out of breath alot.

But if you watch you can see that when he messes with his ear monitor is when he gets out of breath and I think that was just him forgetting to breath. At one point you can see him messing with it and see him look off to his left like he was pissed.

I think for PC his ear monitor was still fucked and he couldn't hear himself.

I also agree that the way he sung Maddy was so much better than the final version.

Not making excuses just pointing out the obvious.

No matter who you look at it is was great to see GNR!!!

i was in florida watching it on tv, it was so fucking cool, yeah axls voice was shit(until maddy) but the energy and the excitement made up for it, axl looked like he was ready to conquer the world again

i kept imagining about a madagascar music video forr some weeks after VMAs. how naive, but i was a big fan ten years ago.

Disappointment lead to resentment. I wish I was around back then and could have told you that it wouldn't happen and that you should turn your expectations down.

IMO that preformance of Madagascar is the best preformance GnR has ever ever done on live tv.

Ha, no.

The whole Ritz show was on tv, the two songs on that late night show in 88 were also better, not to mention the kickass WTTJ at the VMAs in 88.

How funny, all these positive reactions about this performance... I can remember back then that a lot of people were complaining about him being fat, out of shape, bad voice, the line-up, etc... And now everyone likes it? :rolleyes:

They don't know what they've got till it's gone. It's like the 2010 concerts, I can't remember people being so excited about them back in 2010... And the recent European tour will be praised in a few years, too. I guess it is the knee-jerk response that everything GN'R does must be criticised, but hindsight is 20/20.

Exactly this. 10 years from now a 60 year-old Axl (provided God-willing he's still around and active) will more than likely be heavier and have a weaker voice than now and people will be waxing poetic about 2012 when he was 50 and had "more energy". Just enjoy and absorb it all why you can. '92 and '02 ain't comin' back... and '12 won't be here forever either...

:thumbsup:

IMO that preformance of Madagascar is the best preformance GnR has ever ever done on live tv.

Ha, no.

The whole Ritz show was on tv, the two songs on that late night show in 88 were also better, not to mention the kickass WTTJ at the VMAs in 88.

It's about Madagascar, not about WTTJ or PC

Ha, no.

WTTJ at the VMAs in 88...

fuckin good performance!

Ha, no.

fuckin good performance!

That opening scream from 1988 was just inhuman...gives me chills to listen to it.

Ha, no.

fuckin good performance!

That opening scream from 1988 was just inhuman...gives me chills to listen to it.

I agree the opening scream was great but Axl's voice was ruff that night but very powerful.

But the band was not very tight that night, I thought Slash fucked the solo up bad.

The only reason I say this about Slash is he did suck that night but if any of the new members fuck up, then all the assholes here just rip them to pieces.

It's like there is a double standard for the old band and the new band.

But the band was not very tight that night, I thought Slash fucked the solo up bad.

I just watched the 1988 VMA performance and it was literally only one bum note so I don't know if I would call that "fucking the solo up bad". :shrugs:

And I also thought it was a great performance overall

As for the 2002 VMA's, the band sounded good but Axl 's voice was totally gone with the exception of Madagascar. At least the performance was interesting to watch, Axl's voice aside - although I am still curious as to why Fallon said they were "taking requests" when they just did a pre-planned medley of tunes

Ha, no.

You need to think of the time and the setting of the preformance. GnR had just returned into the spotlight. New York had just been torn apart less than a year ago by the September 11th attacks. GnR comes out and preforms madagascar, which is a good song for both the 911 attacks and what axl went through with the old band.