Catcher In The Rye & There Was A Time appreciation thread

Screamin' Demon

@ groghan, I have always thought twat and estranged are very similiar. Both have a similiar riff, and both are epic sounding. Imo twat is the estranged for the 2000's.

I don't think TWAT and Estranged sound similar at all.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Catcher has a more estranged mental state. And TWAT is about a fucked up chick. But Prostitute could be like Rocket Queen for the 21st Century. This I Love is a pocket sized Nov Rain. Sorry is Don't Cry meets Pink Floyd. Shackler's is Double Talkin' Locomotive. Better is like Head Like a Hole meets Sweet Child O Mine.

I was talking more similiar musically not lyrically. Lyrically yes catcher and esrranged have more in common. But musically I still feel twat is closer. I like your other comparisions except rocket queen and prostitute, I dont see that at all.

But Catcher has a more estranged mental state. And TWAT is about a fucked up chick. But Prostitute could be like Rocket Queen for the 21st Century. This I Love is a pocket sized Nov Rain. Sorry is Don't Cry meets Pink Floyd. Shackler's is Double Talkin' Locomotive. Better is like Head Like a Hole meets Sweet Child O Mine.

I was talking more similiar musically not lyrically. Lyrically yes catcher and esrranged have more in common. But musically I still feel twat is closer. I like your other comparisions except rocket queen and prostitute, I dont see that at all.

I agree TWAT sounds more like Estrnaged especially the solos. But it also has a Paradise City element at the beginning. With riffs and Axl rapping. With TWAT the video I see Axl and a model fighting in a mansion with b/w photos of their past flashing up as the band playing then Axl get in a speedboat after the fight and he goes out across the ocean to cuba during the solos. then he gets out the boat then walks up into another mansion to the same chick then they start fighting and throwing stuff again as the song ends.

Edited by wasted

I think it's awesome they are doing these two songs. They are like the heart and soul of CD. like the Civil War and Estrnaged they have to be in the set. these are the two classic GNR moments on CD.

Exactly!!!!

@ groghan, I have always thought twat and estranged are very similiar. Both have a similiar riff, and both are epic sounding. Imo twat is the estranged for the 2000's.

We don't mean that Twat sounds exactly like estranged. It is the same type of song. Long, lots of guitar, great singing, great lyrics.....and the dreaded "epic" description that is over used.

Do you think that Twat has more of a OMG or Perfect Crime feel? You really don't think Twat has the same vibe as the classic Axl sound on estranged?

I don't think TWAT and Estranged sound similar at all.

I'm sorry but There was a time is a mess of a song, Catcher in the rye is average up until the outro, which is epic.

The only part of TWAT that I don't like is the whole "Linkin Park" aspect the Pitman added to it. I just think that is completly unessicary. But overproduced is the biggest problem with the whole album, other than maybe sorry and this I love. If Axl would have went for more of a traditional sound with these songs I think they would have not only sounded better but been better recieved by critics and what not. I know that Axl was trying to make the album very "current" sounding, which I respect that. But if he would have went with more of an "old school" approach it would have worked better IMO. Songs like Catcher, Better, CD, TWAT, and scraped would have excelled with a more traditional rock sound. I honestly think they suffered a bit because of the added layers. All of the songs are great, the material is stellar, just a little over done. Street of Dreams, Shackler's, Maddy, This I love, and Sorry are perfect the way they are. The songs I didn't mention are the weakest parts of the album, filler is filler however you slice it. And Prostitute is a great song, just not very Guns like. Other than OMG I would say this is the closest to a solo Axl song.

But back to TWAT, the "linkin park" part with the keys is the only part I don't care for that much. But calling the whole song a mess is rediculous. It is amazing vocally, lyrically, and musically. The guitar parts are all very Estranged like IMO. If This I love is the sequal to November Rain then TWAT is the sequal to Estranged.

It has some good guitar parts yes, I just really struggle with this song, I just don't know how it's supposed to "go". It has no repeating parts, no melody or tune, there's barely a recognisable chord progression or riff in the whole song (ironically I actually heard a riff in the bumblefoot version, it might be better stripped down). I don't like how 99% of the lyrics are front loaded into the song and the second half is just endless soloing and a wall of noise and the line There was a time being screamed repeatedly. It's pretty awful if I'm honest, save for the Buckethead solo (which is admittedly brilliant).

I really dislike the Paul McCartney style Na na na na na parts in Catcher in the rye, adds nothing and sounds like a complete Beatles rip.

If it wasn't Axl and Guns n roses TWAT would never have been recorded. It maybe tries to be an Estranged, with no chorus or verses but completely fails. You need a Slash to make that kind of song work. Nothing fits.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I don't hold this song on that high regard, it has it's moments , don't get me wrong, but as a complete song it's not great.

Maybe that's what comes with having three lead guitarists trying to write a song, different ideas and easy for a song to lose it's way. Much more chance of only liking parts of songs (as I find with some of the songs on CD).

Sorry OT now, but that Richard interview which was posted up recently where he is playing guitar was revealing in a not great way. It was revealing in that he wrote the riff in Better which to my ears spoils the song, he was talking about how the verse riff was written by Robin (which I love) and the "now I know you better, you know I know better" riff was written by him. When I first heard the Better leak (only the first part of the song, from that radio station years ago) you didn't hear the heavy riff Richard wrote, when I later heard the whole song with the Axl screaming parts I didn't like this element to it. With a better chorus Better would be a bona fide Rock classic. A just Axl and Robin record could have been sweet. Maybe Bucket adding a few licks here and there.

Sometimes Catcher gets me and feels like the most magical thing in the world. Sometimes I can take or leave it.

The second half of TWAT is magic everytime I hear it. I think on one video I saw of it in Vegas it seemed more like Axl was working out how to sing the outro melodically rather than just randomly scream and tear his throat out. Of course in an ideal world it would fall somewhere in between.

If it wasn't Axl and Guns n roses TWAT would never have been recorded. It maybe tries to be an Estranged, with no chorus or verses but completely fails. You need a Slash to make that kind of song work. Nothing fits.

save for the Buckethead solo (which is admittedly brilliant).

So you say it needs Slash to have Estranged like qualities, but yet the solo is brilliant? I'm confused?

The second half of TWAT is magic everytime I hear it. I think on one video I saw of it in Vegas it seemed more like Axl was working out how to sing the outro melodically rather than just randomly scream and tear his throat out. Of course in an ideal world it would fall somewhere in between.

Yeah, I noticed that. Up until Vegas he's always just randomly come in early/late/sang all over the solo/just repeated 'i would do anything' over and over and didn't even try to sing it properly. I don't know why because he sings perfectly controlled screams like that every night in Jungle, Heaven's Door etc. But in the video HB3 posted below (of which there's a better one around) he goes for the pre-solo properly and hits the 'youuuu' in the right key for a few seconds so fair play. But he doesn't go for the big scream at the end.

Now we need Prostitude

I wish Axl would have performed Prostitute at my concert. I didn't get to hear TWAT, but Catcher was awesome. I was glad to hear Better too since GNR didn't perform that last year either.

I think Axl could should have done more CD or UYI songs instead of the Neil Young and Who cover. GNR have many amazing songs that they haven't done in forever, so hearing them would have been cool.

I would have loved to hear You're crazy or Pretty Tied up.

Glad I got to hear Civil War too.