Axl at 64?

laffy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it how Axl nuthuggers defense is calling a band overrated just cuz they perform better, instead of going on-topic.

I'm not a nuthugger ans I can agree that Aerosmith and ACDC were both fairly over rated....

It's all personal opinion, nobody is right or wrong.

Aerosmith and AC/DC are the most overrated bands of all time.

AC/DC sounds the same and is a gimmick rock band

Aerosmith is a pop rock band putting out cheesy summertime songs.

How they ever got popular is beyond me.

Haha. They're two of the biggest influences of the band you've spent 3 years and almost 2500 posts discussing there chief.

Edited by Allen8R

Pretty crazy how Steven Tyler isn't far off Mick Jagger's age, yet he never quite gets lumped into that same 'classic' category as Jagger...I think Aerosmith found success just a little bit too late in the '70s for them to ever gain the full respect of the music community. They're definitely a classic rock band but they also get a whole lot of snide shit from certain kinds of music fans, and at the end of the day, maybe they're more of a singles band than an album band for most of their career, but Tyler definitely puts a lot into his work on stage.

I think that shows a level of respect for his audience that Axl does have in terms of his willingness to perform - 3+ hour shows are not 'phoning it in' - but Axl seems less dedicated to making sure he's at the best of his abilities as a performer.

i sincerely hope that Axl can soon understand that he's better off going with the quality over quantity thing that Steven Tyler seems to go with. Although I was infinitely dissapointed when they didn't play Janies Got a Gun when I saw them live, it was great to see them at peak performance and shorter show instead of a weaker performance and 3plus hour show when I saw GNR.

A8R

Went to see Bruce Springsteen last night. He is nearly 64 but my god he was impressive. He was on for three hours, he never left the stage, he didn't change clothes, he took requests from the audience and then played them, no set in stone playlist. He is slim and the interaction with the audience was great getting right in there and having people onto the stage. It was quite an experience. His effort, commitment and energy at his age was quite something.

Went to see Bruce Springsteen last night. He is nearly 64 but my god he was impressive. He was on for three hours, he never left the stage, he didn't change clothes, he took requests from the audience and then played them, no set in stone playlist. He is slim and the interaction with the audience was great getting right in there and having people onto the stage. It was quite an experience. His effort, commitment and energy at his age was quite something.

That's what professionals do. Big respect for Bruce, an awesome musician, person and artist.

Everyone wants this from a guy over 50

NOT gonna happen, this was awhile ago, times change

most of u never got the chance to see him then, and wish ya did and I think that is part of the problem today...

Edited by gunsguy

Everyone wants this from a guy over 50

NOT gonna happen, most of u never got the chance to see him then.

No, but he proved in Philly that he's more than capable of putting on a good show. Most of the time he just chooses to mail it in, which doesn't sit well with the fans who pay $100+ to see him.

NOT gonna happen, most of u never got the chance to see him then.

I sure as hell wish I had :/

For sure, I wish everyone here had the chance to see him at his absolute peak, the greatest frontman of all time. I can sit here and post videos all day but the song remains the same he is not in his 20's anymore, at least he is still out there performing for us :)

Do I miss those days? FUCK YES, but nothing can bring it back, cept maybe youtube lol

Last time I caught Aero live was the Eat the Rich tour, loved "living on the edge", kinda lost the vibe for me after that for innumerable reasons,

Think we can all agree AC/DC is a one trick pony but the Bon Scott era is magnificent, sometimes one trick is enough when done well, for balls to the wall rock AC/DC is the sheeholanit.

Robert Plant is 65

say no more.

* When it comes to frontmen, the difference in the quality of their performance is not as much in their difference of age, but in the proffessionalism and commitment with which they faced their careers *

Edited by Betty Plant

Do I miss those days? FUCK YES, but nothing can bring it back, cept maybe youtube lol

Or a reason for Axl to want to bring it, as evidenced by the Philly show.

This.

Axl, age-wise, is still perfectly capable of pulling other Philly '12 shows, but for some reason he doesn't... That's what really puzzles me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41f-pUqFoxg

I've enjoyed any GNR show I've been fortunate enough to see. From my first GNR show in 1987 when they opened for motley Crüe to the recent Vegas shows. But during the same time period I've also seen Aerosmith in 2004 and ac/dc in 2000 which at the time would have put Steven Tyler and Brian Johnson around the same age axl is now and as much as I hate to admit it, vocally Brian Johnson and Steven Tyler put Axl to shame. Everyone has their bad nights, but when the bad nights start to be every other night then we might have a problem!

Brian Johnson still does a great job but he has lost a ton of range from Back In Black era, but that is natural it's been 30+ years. And he blew his voice in the mid 80ties, so the high notes have been gone for a while now. But still a fantastic front/show man. I would love to hear a new AC/DC album.

Paul Stanley of KISS has really blown his voice in the recent years, it's really bad now-a-days. He still sounded pretty good in 2010, but recent shows have been really flat. They have also had to tune down the songs, so that he could sing the songs better. In the studio he was still able to put down a good performance for the new studio album (Monster). He has had one vocal chord surgery, but it did not really seem to help out.

Ronnie James Dio was in fantastic form right to the end. To me the best voice over 60 that I have ever heard. So it can be done, Ronnie seemed like a guy who really took good care of his voice over the years.

Tyler still does a great job and David Coverdales is also on good form. So a great voice can be kept over 60, but it's not a given thing at all.

Edited by Teroz