I don't give a shit about religion.

arnold layne

• 1 year later...

Sorry about bumping an old thread, but...

...my grandfather offered me a boom to religious book to read. Don't get me wrong. I haven't been to church in years, I think it's all horseshit, and I am far from having a conversation about religion at all, however I do need something to believe in. I'm tired of being down all the time and feeling like life has no purpose.

Being apathetic about everything kind of sucks. Shit. I barely care that I can barely pay rent. Things are kind of fucked.

So maybe I can turn my attitude around and read some thought provoking material to give me new light. This isn't the bible but it's some sort of Chrisitian guidance book or something that supposedly challenges your thought process.

Yes I know Dazey is about to crucify me but I need to start doing something with my life and I need to start being happy somehow, and not at the expense of my liver with happy pills.

God dammit.

• Like 1

Sorry about bumping an old thread, but...

...my grandfather offered me a boom to religious book to read. Don't get me wrong. I haven't been to church in years, I think it's all horseshit, and I am far from having a conversation about religion at all, however I do need something to believe in. I'm tired of being down all the time and feeling like life has no purpose.

Being apathetic about everything kind of sucks. Shit. I barely care that I can barely pay rent. Things are kind of fucked.

So maybe I can turn my attitude around and read some thought provoking material to give me new light. This isn't the bible but it's some sort of Chrisitian guidance book or something that supposedly challenges your thought process.

Yes I know Dazey is about to crucify me but I need to start doing something with my life and I need to start being happy somehow, and not at the expense of my liver with happy pills.

God dammit.

I'm not going to crucify you at all. If you find something that works for you then best of luck to you fella.
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty boring honestly. I try to be respectful to people who believe in God, but it's hard to hold a straight face when they are thanking God for the food on their table before every meal. It's hard for me to resist commenting on it, because I find it to be so utterly stupid. Even if you believe he exists, it's not exactly as if he worked and gave you money to buy food for, nor did he cook it. You had to do it all yourself, it seems pretty pointless thanking someone else for that.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty boring honestly. I try to be respectful to people who believe in God, but it's hard to hold a straight face when they are thanking God for the food on their table before every meal. It's hard for me to resist commenting on it, because I find it to be so utterly stupid. Even if you believe he exists, it's not exactly as if he worked and gave you money to buy food for, nor did he cook it. You had to do it all yourself, it seems pretty pointless thanking someone else for that.

All is gift. Your ability to work, which allowed you to buy the food. Your knowledge and ability to cook the food. These are just two in a long chain of gifts given to you that resulted in food on your table.

• Like 1

There was a time when religion actually progressed mankind into the arts, and sciences. As contrary as that may seem now where religion, and science could not be more divorced.

Religion is passé in modern day society. Everything goes in cycles.

• Like 1

The law mainly. Fear of prison. Sometimes I eat two cheese burgers because its legal.

I think I have Christian values without being religious. Do I believe in a god, not really but I don't rule it out. I'm sceptical.

But is a sense of right and wrong an instinct?

Different cultures come to similar conclusions don't kill each other etc.

Maybe religion is based on what we already think? So in that way we might not need it.

• Like 2

Without God there is no way to judge your actions. No penalty no reward. No reason to make the right choice. Without Him there would be no right choice. Where would your morals come from if you didn't believe?

Since our genes encode behaviour that is kind, good, empathic, altrustic, etc, I think it is safe to say our morals come from our DNA.

• Like 1

Without God there is no way to judge your actions. No penalty no reward. No reason to make the right choice. Without Him there would be no right choice. Where would your morals come from if you didn't believe?

Can't tell if sarcasm, but if serious: Well now that's a very dangerous way of thinking. That is an incredibly weak argument for justice, you are saying the reason to be just is because you'll be punished if you're not?

Where would your morals come from? How about fucking experiencing the world and gaining your own sense of honor and justice, rather than subscribing to a prescribed set of rules written thousands of years ago (rules, which may I remind you, include stoning children, and disrespecting women). But oh how the religious love to pick and choose which bible verses to promote.

I implore you to read some Plato, Socrates, and my good friends Mr. Hobbes and Mr. Locke. Sorry if I come across as harsh, but too much damage has been done to the world by mentalities like yours.

The law mainly. Fear of prison. Sometimes I eat two cheese burgers because its legal.

I think I have Christian values without being religious. Do I believe in a god, not really but I don't rule it out. I'm sceptical.

But is a sense of right and wrong an instinct?

Different cultures come to similar conclusions don't kill each other etc.

Maybe religion is based on what we already think? So in that way we might not need it.

I think sense of right and wrong is instinctual, I think there have been studies that have hinted (maybe not proved) it. I more believe in the "nasty, short, and brutish" viewpoint, but I acknowledge that the other argument is partially valid too in some cases. Again, I think the argument of "justice because of fear of punishment," is weak, though it is likely a widespread notion.

You heathenous swine...... two cheeseburgers..... I have no words.

I wonder what there's more of, believers or non believers. Gotta be believers, hasn't it?

Probably, but the ratio is ever changing. For the better. :)

Edited by OmarBradley

I think faith is a good thing, faith could be instilled or whatever the word is, into whatever gives you confidence, security, reward, a continuous objective... all the positive and affirming things you need/desire to give your existence and direction meaning beyond employment, social, entertainment and whatnot. What that faith is bestowed to is the fascinating part, it could be the harmonic vibrations of the nomadic white horse bearing the fragile earth on its illustrious back where you burn sage and candles each morning to bless your daily grind, it could be a particular religion you find the right values in, it could be a specific band or tv show that really communicates to you and transcends mere time filling on your schedule, it could be a collection hobby you got, it could be your fave toys or teddies or even nightlight come to think of it if ya a child... faith always comes down to being a suit of armour or a duvet which must also enrich and empower you... so the blanket has a practical, almost subconscious value of keeping you company (a comforter is another name) but the surface level keeping you warm aspect... the problem is with the less pragmatic aspects of faith, the waters can muddy and you never know just how much you need it or can get by without it, the investment can blur your boundaries so to speak.

When people thank god for an achievement though I don't question the fact they really believe their god aided them but there are a lot of people who don't subscribe to a god and achieve things, I do not doubt in their minds without god they could not have done it, but I believe the power is always within regardless of the method... that is not to say faith did not urge them onwards, just the mechanics of faith differing between what substance it is that triggers/fuels the realization and motives...it's fascinating how we all differ in our structures from mind to body.

• Like 1

1% of population of UK go to church.

It's around 20% in the US.

2 out of 10 still seems low. Much more non believers but they don't want anything. Those 2 people have all these wild dreams about owning Jerusalem and have a lot more money. So let's invade Iraq.

I think faith is a good thing, faith could be instilled or whatever the word is, into whatever gives you confidence, security, reward, a continuous objective... all the positive and affirming things you need/desire to give your existence and direction meaning beyond employment, social, entertainment and whatnot. What that faith is bestowed to is the fascinating part, it could be the harmonic vibrations of the nomadic white horse bearing the fragile earth on its illustrious back where you burn sage and candles each morning to bless your daily grind, it could be a particular religion you find the right values in, it could be a specific band or tv show that really communicates to you and transcends mere time filling on your schedule, it could be a collection hobby you got, it could be your fave toys or teddies or even nightlight come to think of it if ya a child... faith always comes down to being a suit of armour or a duvet which must also enrich and empower you... so the blanket has a practical, almost subconscious value of keeping you company (a comforter is another name) but the surface level keeping you warm aspect... the problem is with the less pragmatic aspects of faith, the waters can muddy and you never know just how much you need it or can get by without it, the investment can blur your boundaries so to speak.

When people thank god for an achievement though I don't question the fact they really believe their god aided them but there are a lot of people who don't subscribe to a god and achieve things, I do not doubt in their minds without god they could not have done it, but I believe the power is always within regardless of the method... that is not to say faith did not urge them onwards, just the mechanics of faith differing between what substance it is that triggers/fuels the realization and motives...it's fascinating how we all differ in our structures from mind to body.

Spot on.

1% of population of UK go to church.

It's around 20% in the US.

I believe its actually like 60% in the US.

Gallup says 40% report they do, whilst in reality only 15-20% actually do. Where is your number from?

My mistake, I was remembering a poll of belief in God. That's anywhere from like 70-80.