Axl Rose: After all, what's wrong with your voice?

Gibbo

You would think Axl would know enough that he *has* to turn on the rasp for TV performances.

Proshots of the band since 2011 are all worthless because of his voice. He needs to know that good televised performances increase his stock and secure his legacy.

If he doesn't think he can provide good performances anymore, he should just stop.

This is what Axl's capable of when the stars align and his voice is at its peak.

By stars do you mean bottles, and by align do you aligned with his face? It's amazing what Axl can do when he's grumpy, see Better at Download for example. Maybe throwing things is the solution to a better vocal performance.

Edit:- That performance of You're Crazy was great.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

He didn't look like he was struggling in 2010 though, he just came blasting out with it CONSISTENTLY.

He was excellent in 2010, but he brought something extra every night that he played. The exception for 2010 would be when he stood on stage in Dublin and casually nailed each song.

I just like 2006 because he sang with such ease and there was power in the voice. He could mix it up well also. He was more energetic. I love jungle in 06 because that first note comes out with a ton of power and it's so effortless.

My opinion is he could have sang in 2010 like he did in 2006 but he pushed himself to another level and that ultimately has done him in.

• Like 2

I guess you can interchange the infamous fire with him being pissed off or having a chip on his shoulder, we all know unless he starts a riot he usually brings it when he's slighted by something or other, he's very comfortable right now, I'd prefer if he was peaceful for his own good but not in a musical sense cause it means he has no desire to progress, he needs to find a different motivation if he only knows how to turn it up when he's destructive.

Really great, interesting comments about 2006 and 2010 in here. For whatever reason, despite already finding an amazing voice in 2006-2007 he felt he wanted to take it even further in 2010.

I hope you guys aren't right and that 2010 did him in. I think it's too much of a coincidence that by the end of 2010 he knew there would be no second album or label support in general and in 2011 he came back really down and with nothing to prove. I really think he could get back to consistent 2006 level if he wanted to.

If this is a supposed article explaining the change in Axl's voice and it doesn't contain the word "falsetto", it's garbage.

Falsetto and head voice are used interchangeably by many people, which is incorrect. For the longest time I was mistaken about it as well. But overall I think the article makes sense. He sang EVERYTHING in his head voice in 2010 since he had no higher mid range in his modal voice. Singing too low in a head voice will rip you up.

I thought so. Who wrote the article probably meant falsetto instead of head voice. However, I thought that head voice was extension of the chest voice, the high range of the chest voice, no? If so, he can't sing low in his head voice. As far as I can tell, his Mickey Mouse voice is a weak ass falsetto, but I could be wrong.

Really great, interesting comments about 2006 and 2010 in here. For whatever reason, despite already finding an amazing voice in 2006-2007 he felt he wanted to take it even further in 2010.

I hope you guys aren't right and that 2010 did him in. I think it's too much of a coincidence that by the end of 2010 he knew there would be no second album or label support in general and in 2011 he came back really down and with nothing to prove. I really think he could get back to consistent 2006 level if he wanted to.

For sure he could get back into shape. It's going to take a lot of work to get his vocals back too though. He needs the right vocal coach to get him doing certain voice exercises daily.

2011 was a result of lost stamina, and unused vocal muscles. When he ended the 2010 tour he seemed to not do much between then and rio. What I think happened is in 2010 he exercised his vocals with such power that he made them much stronger. The problem came when the tour ended and he quit using the developed power in his voice. The muscles deteriorated and that did more damage to his voice than anything.

I think it was a problem Axl didn't anticipate, and because he was older and he took time off his vocals deterorated much quicker than had he been younger.

This is where the problem lies in my opinion and that's why his vocals have been damaged.

Is there any evidence that he did have surgery after 2010? How reliable is that "insider"?

I was also wondering the same thing.

To me Axl's Rose Bar performance back in 2010 is still one of my favorites, so effortless singing with lovely rasp, bring that voice back please!

• Like 1

To me the only real question is do you as a fan believe Axl could be singing like he did in 2010 now and is just choosing not to? If so, why? If not, then we take what he can give and hope things improve.

I don't think it's a choice at the moment, but, I do have hope that his voice could come back given the necessary break, training, and exercise. I'm saying this because it came back before from 2002-2006.

To me the only real question is do you as a fan believe Axl could be singing like he did in 2010 now and is just choosing not to? If so, why? If not, then we take what he can give and hope things improve.

No.

Singing like that in 2010 was his last hurrah, and it's probably because of that he can't do it anymore.

A supposed 'insider' told me Axl had vocal chord surgery after the 2010 tour against medical advice. Not sure if it is totally true but would explain a hell of alot.

Can you elaborate more on who made the claim? Are they reliable?

If it was a Medical Professional in the USA, it would be a violation of HIPPA (federal law) to give out personal medical information.

Men and Women's voices change as they get older. I'm sure being a singer it's more stressful on your vocal cords.

It's a reality that Axl doesn't sound like he did when he was 25 or even 35, so that's a fact. I think he tries hard, at least in the concerts I've seen, but it's just not there anymore.

Vince Neil is another singer who has lost it. But unlike Axl who continues to sing, Vince makes the fans sing most of the songs. He's been doing this for years. I saw the Crue in 2000 or 2001 when Tommy wasn't the drummer and Vince was making the fans sing most of the chorus. After seeing him at Cruefest and singing solo, he does it more and more. People who haven't see the Crue laugh when I tell them that Vince constantly shoves the mic at the fans, but after seeing them, they tell me I'm right. lol

Vince can't sing either anymore, but yet the Crue keep going on.

I read that Mick Mars said on this new tour the Crue will use backup vocals, which he said he hates, but then said he really can't sing much anymore. I just laughed and said he should be honest enough to say Vince can't sing and that's why we need the backup pre-recorded vocals now, but I guess he's being nice.

Either way, Axl tries his best, but the older he gets the harder it will be to keep up with songs he wrote and sang over 30 years ago. Some singers can do it and some can't.

It will be up to Axl to decide when he needs to quit.

If this is a supposed article explaining the change in Axl's voice and it doesn't contain the word "falsetto", it's garbage.

it says head voice, falsetto is in head voice

Not entirely true. Head voice is just the arching of the soft palate and pushing your focal point up to resonate in the mask. Falsetto is a different technique.

Good god, I haven't really sat and listened to Axl's voice from 2010 or 2006 in ages. Fucking amazing. Any suggestions for shows To check out from either year?

Rock AM Ring 2006 Pro Shot. One of my favorite concerts from 2006. Scream from Jungle in the beginning is amazing. Nighttrain is epic too.

And aswell how he say 1993 was weaker then previous years thats crap.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. That's one of the few years where there is consensus that he sounded good.

'93 is way better than '91 shows like St Louis where he was really struggling. That Argentina '93 show is phenomenal. '88, '93, '06 and '10 are my favourite Axl years vocally.