Butter Vs. Margarine

Snake-Pit

Butter Vs. Margarine (Public Poll)  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Butter is healthier than marg.

Especially if the marg contains trans fat.

Flora (a.k.a Becel o.a.k.a Fruit d'Or) & Benecol

benecol-light-spread.jpg

Are the only things I like.

They're both margarines.

It's not like I haven't tried butter, both salted and unsalted... I just don't think it's 'butter' because 'butter' to me is margarine (like the margarines I've mentioned). - Butter, is actually pretty disgusting, I think, taste wise - But that seems to be just me.

Edited by Snake-Pit

benecol-light-spread.jpg

They're both margarines.

It's not like I haven't tried butter, both salted and unsalted... I just don't think it's 'butter' because 'butter' to me is margarine (like the margarines I've mentioned). - Butter, is actually pretty disgusting, I think, taste wise - But that seems to be just me.

If you find Butter disgusting, you must be retarded.

benecol-light-spread.jpg

They're both margarines.

If you find Butter disgusting, you must be retarded.

Go easy on Snakes, JD. He probably went to school with these kids:

One in three primary schoolchildren think cheese comes from plants and one in 10 says tomatoes grow underground.

A new survey reveals a young generation with unhealthy diets and an alarming belief in food myths.

Nearly one in five children says that fish fingers come from chicken and pasta is produced from animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334915/Pupils-think-cheese-veg-fish-fingers-come-chickens-Study-highlights-primary-childrens-ignorance-food-comes-from.html

I think it's pretty common for people to grow up with something foodwise and think its normal, good or better than something else. Look at Vegemite. How the fuck that came to be the biggest selling Australian food product, one will never know! :rolleyes:

I remember growing up on margarine and really didn't like butter at all, finding it too fatty and greasy. But now I love it and would prefer to have nothing on my bread than margarine. Once you taste really good quality, salted butter on quality fresh bread, there's nothing like it. I also love dipping a good bit of ciabatta into a first grade extra virgin olive oil. Yuuuuuum!!!! If I go to a restaurant I can happily forgo an entree and just eat good bread and butter or good bread dipped in olive oil and wait for the main course. :D

I quite often have just fresh bread and slatherings of butter for breakfast. :drool:

I also love dipping a good bit of ciabatta into a first grade extra virgin olive oil.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil trumps them all. ;)

I agree. Also when I cook I tend to use olive oil, as opposed to butter. Unless I'm cooking a steak, mashed potatoes, pancakes or finishing off some vegetables like beans or carrots, then I use butter. But I find olive oil gives a lighter, fresher flavour.

• Like 1

When frying with it a long time, Butter can burn, leaving a bitter taste in your meal. To stop this, it is a good idea to add a tiny bit of olive oil before adding the butter. Butter is essential for European cooking - especially Northern European. It does not however feature at all in far eastern cuisine. The Chinese, Japanese, etc. literally never use it. They never use olive oil either. The Chinese tend to prefer Groundnut Oil for frying - but, Vegetable Oil is a perfectly good substitute.

The Chinese use eggs a bit, in for example egg fried rice and egg flower soup. Tofu however tends to replace milk and milk-based products. It is perhaps the one weakness of the Asian diet: calcium deficiency. The disregard of diary products is probably a legacy of Buddhist dietary restrictions. It also might be a historical legacy that economically, rice-irrigation economies prevailed over farming.

Asians don't consume dairy at all. They are generally intolerant to it.

Yeah.

I heard that when westerners go to Japan, they complain about the strong smell of seafood that the Japanese are used to so don't notice, when Japanese people come to the west, they complain about a strong smell of dairy i.e. milk and cheese that westerners are used to and so don't notice the smell.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Guest Len B'stard

How do you work that one out, they fuckin' live off it back where my lot come from :lol: Shit, they have dairy products you ain't even heard of over here. In fact, they laugh at western dairy products, they consider them impure.

Edited by Len B'stard

How do you work that one out, they fuckin' live off it back where my lot come from :lol: Shit, they have dairy products you ain't even heard of over here. In fact, they laugh at western dairy products, they consider them impure.

I thought everybody knew that, about Asian people being generally lactose intolerant.

On that note, I have never really paid too close attention to what Asian people that I know eat, like from Thailand and the Philippines when it comes to dairy.

Also, from Japan;

Useless Invention; Inventions that are genuine and not a gimmick.

The Butter Stick

10.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

I thought everybody knew that, about Asian people being generally lactose intolerant.

I'm not saying it's a surprise, I'm saying it's bollocks :lol: They drink proper milk out there, out of a cows udder, not out of a bottle you picked up in Tesco Express.

What Dies' said. When I say 'Asian' I'm referring to people of I guess what used to be called 'The Far East', so China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, the Phillippines, Indonesia, etc. We generally refer to Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Nepal, etc as Middle Eastern. :)