The "Hipster" Sanctuary

Broskirose

I refuse to be confined to a sanctuary. I will continue to make non-Nobody puts baby in a corner posts in My World and wfa/mikeshit20 will deal with it accordingly.

Man o' Man, I'm just a popular topic of discussion in this thread.....

Not sure what I did to become so HATED amoung our younger friends?

You are not without fault Mike lol. I enjoy reading all your Nobody puts baby in a corner posts. You know your shit. Rock. :headbang:

Edited by Rovim

You will be sucked into a vortex of hipsterism and beaten with the obscurity.

Clearly that was one of the goals of this thread. I was mentioned in the OP and in other posts. Clearly I have become the enemy of all things "hipster." Which I find to be some what Ironic because I don't think I have ever used that term on this forum. Maybe once or twice??? But you can search all of my posts and you will not find that word in my vocabulary very often, or perhaps not at all. I guess it's because I recognize that in ten years from now, the next generation is going to be calling all the hipsters out and talking about how they are old and no longer cool. It happens to the best of us, one day you wake up and your in your 30's and some 21 year old snot nosed brat is talking shit about the things that you like. It's the circle of life my firends. Today is your day, but nobody stops father time....

I refuse to be confined to a sanctuary. I will continue to make non-Nobody puts baby in a corner posts in My World and wfa/mikeshit20 will deal with it accordingly.

You are not without fault Mike lol. I enjoy reading all your Nobody puts baby in a corner posts. You know your shit. Rock. :headbang:

Thanks man, I'd like your post, but reached my limit for the day. You know, I've started to come to terms with my lot in life. Hell I graduated High School in 2000, so I'm either the last of the old guard or the first of the new guard. However you want to look at it I suppose. But yes, I love good ole' fashion rock and roll; guitars, drums, bass, and vocals are all you really need imo. But I realize that liking such things has put me in the dinosaur catagory. But I suppose I'm ok with that, to each their own. But I also have a love for the glory days of hip hop (1985~2001), so its not like rock is the only thing I like.

Thanks man, I'd like your post, but reached my limit for the day. You know, I've started to come to terms with my lot in life. Hell I graduated High School in 2000, so I'm either the last of the old guard or the first of the new guard. However you want to look at it I suppose. But yes, I love good ole' fashion rock and roll; guitars, drums, bass, and vocals are all you really need imo. But I realize that liking such things has put me in the dinosaur catagory. But I suppose I'm ok with that, to each their own. But I also have a love for the glory days of hip hop (1985~2001), so its not like rock is the only thing I like.

I like such things. I'm part hipster part mullet boy. All of those come from blues anyway and Hendrix said there are only 2 kinds of music: good and bad so whatever. Whatever gets me off is my approach to it.

Edited by Rovim

I like such things. I'm part hipster part mullet boy. All of those come from blues anyway and Hendrix said there are only 2 kinds of music: good and bad so whatever. Whatever gets me off is my approach to it.

Agreed. I like good songs, plain and simple. It doesn't have to be catchy, sometimes I hate catchy if they did for sake of being catchy (like Taylor Swift's new song). But if it is a good song that just so happens to be catchy, then thats great imo. On the other hand some of the best stuff isn't catchy at all. My favorite singer/songwriter from 2000 on wards is Bright Eyes. I think he is an awesome songwriter, but his shit is not catchy what so ever. So it doesn't have crossover appeal. But he reminds me of Bob Dylan, so I love his stuff. Perhaps a little more EMO than Dylan, but the songs are there imo. But if he did happen to crossover to mainstreem, I'd still really like his stuff. Backlash due to popularity has always been a foriegn concept to me. If the songs are good, thats all that matters to me. If I'm the only one that likes them thats fine, or if 10 million people like it also, thats fine as well.

I was a HUGE Rage against the machine fan back in the day. I loved the fact that only "some" people liked their stuff. Then when The Battle of LA came out, they were all over MTV and blew up. Some of my friends were mad about it. But I said and still say "hey they made a good album, so good for them." I didn't dislike them, just because many new people discovered them. That's not a true fan imo.

Edited by Mike420

I'm a huge advocate of the anti-old guard of rock mentality, problem is you gotta replace it with something otherwise its kinda pointless. And to all those who consider it a religious dedication to slag off the old guard per se, i got one question for you, wheres your Hendrix? Thats it, just one question, where's your Jimi, name him, show me this fuckin' man, show me whats you got thats so good that you think makes all that old shit redundant and if you say Kanye I'm gonna find your mother and sterilise her :lol:

I'm a huge advocate of the anti-old guard of rock mentality, problem is you gotta replace it with something otherwise its kinda pointless. And to all those who consider it a religious dedication to slag off the old guard per se, i got one question for you, wheres your Hendrix? Thats it, just one question, where's your Jimi, name him, show me this fuckin' man, show me whats you got thats so good that you think makes all that old shit redundant and if you say Kanye I'm gonna find your mother and sterilise her :lol:

Just one Hendrix, just one 2(lol)pac, and The Beatles of course. It's cuntish saying "oohhh...it's not as fuckin' awesome as the old one." no shit. And there is always new cool shit to listen to...it's just it's not very original or as good cause it takes time for evolution to become revolution. At least I hope so.

And the world has changed, so less people are as commited to...whatever cause they didn't come from shit lives like 2pac and Marley. And it helps. It really does when you have no choice but to fuckin' go for it cause what are you gonna do? if you're a rich kid that has a comfortable life, chances are you'll have way less to say, but even if you do, and you are brilliant, and you release your art, chances are no one is fuckin' gonna know about it, or no one will care or both.

Not making excuses, but music right now is more derivative cause the foundations for the REALLY great "perfect" shit have already been laid by The Beatles, The Doors, Robert Johnson, Hendrix, NWA and your Sex Pistols and whatever the punk, that now it's like putting together the pieces and delivering the same thing with a twist.

The twist, the new approach of artists like Kanye for example or someone else you do appreciate is what's going on today. Until there is an anomaly and someone comes along and totally breaks the rules cause he's a fuckin' genius, or...cause you know, musicians got enough time to fuck around with their influences and all the elements will come together and create something truly new, exciting, and revolutionary.

But what's happening right now is another step toward that musical change. Yes we can! but not right now.

I agree with what you're saying actually. In fact I'm of the position that...popular music meant something to people for only a very short period of human history, it wasn't always like that and it was never guaranteed to remain like that, i think it's had its day in terms of being this all conquering thing and now we've got what we've got...and thats no bad thing, all things must pass as a certain someone once put it :)

I really think the 60s and 70s were a peak that set out a blueprint that people consider the standard now, or at least they did for a long while, and tried to emulate it. I don't think we were to remain paralysed at that peak forever.

Edited by Lennie Godber

What you don't seem to get Broski (and to a slightly lesser extent this goes for Bacardi too) is that people here don't pick on you because of the music you listen to. There are plenty of posters here who share your opinions on music and they're all held in much higher regard than you. People pick on you because you're a twat.

• Like 2

Let's try to keep this to discussion about music. Not repetitive whining.

And lol at Mike saying he'll leave the thread yet proceeding to make like 10 posts. Was just a joke anyways man. Thought the smiley kind of made that obvious. Chillllll.

@Len it's not really about just listening to "new" music. I just used the word hipster because some posters like to use that term to tag anyone who doesn't listen to cockrock. This thread wasn't really meant to be a place of debate but more-so just a place of music sharing, recommendations etc free from people spamming their redundant views on anything that doesn't have a shred-shit solo at the 3 min mark.

Personally I'll listen to anything from any decade. So it's not really about a warcry of "new music is better than old music!". Just acknowledging that there is some cool shit out there and music didn't die the day Slash left GNR.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hIKAYjOmG6w

Diggin on this song quite a bit.

Really dark, chill, with some bluesy vibes

I'm listening to the whole Psychic album right now. This is some really good stuff. The track Golden Arrow was superb.

I'll have to check it out, I've actually only heard that one song by them

It's really good shit man.

@Broski,

If people say something to me, I respond. But I haven't said anything negative about anything you like in this thread. I knew you were just joking with me, which is cool, I have no problem there. :) I was actually talking more to Bicardi for calling me Mikeshits. Which honestly Bicardi I think is kinda funny :)

But overall I was just ammused that MY NAME became a popular subject within the "Hipster Thread." But I mean no ill will folks. :)

And lol at Mike saying he'll leave the thread yet proceeding to make like 10 posts. Was just a joke anyways man. Thought the smiley kind of made that obvious. Chillllll.

@Len it's not really about just listening to "new" music. I just used the word hipster because some posters like to use that term to tag anyone who doesn't listen to cockrock. This thread wasn't really meant to be a place of debate but more-so just a place of music sharing, recommendations etc free from people spamming their redundant views on anything that doesn't have a shred-shit solo at the 3 min mark.

Personally I'll listen to anything from any decade. So it's not really about a warcry of "new music is better than old music!". Just acknowledging that there is some cool shit out there and music didn't die the day Slash left GNR.

I agree with you. Very much so in fact. Out of interest, what music do you listen to? Aside from NIN which i know you're a fan of.

I agree with you. Very much so in fact. Out of interest, what music do you listen to? Aside from NIN which i know you're a fan of.

Mostly jazz, film scores and electronic/experimental. Some of my current favorites are Flying Lotus, Actress, Timber Timbre, Austra, Mr. Little Jeans, Death Grips, How to Destroy Angels, Purity Ring, Blood Orange. Those are just a handful that came to mind.

I like most genres of music. I'm selective when it comes to metal and rap because the lyrical content can be a major turnoff.

Love Billy Joel, Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, etc.

Edited by Broskirose

Lol what the fuck. They apparently did an entire remix album of Random Access Memories.

https://soundcloud.com/daftside-2/sets/random-access-memories-1

Picked some tracks just for you bby <3

I grabbed some shit from my playlist that kinda reminds me of NIN style musicianship

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=alt-j%20breezeblocks&sm=1

• Like 1

I've tried to get into Animal Collective so many times. Just never works. I don't know why.

Btw that Random Access Memories remix is spectacular.

Merriweather Post Pavilion is their most accessible. Try this, if you can't dig this song then Animal Collective for sure isn't for you

Dropping that RAM remix now

• Like 1