Estranged vs Nightrain

Free Bird

Estranged vs Nightrain  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Am I the only one that doesn't enjoy night train studio version? The live era version or most live renditions from the 90's kick its ass imo. By studio version standards, estranged. Live, night train

I prefer live versions of every AFD track. Though considering they've all been played a million times, that should be the case.

These polls are so hard. I usually try to remember how I felt about the songs when I first heard them. To me when I first heard estranged It was pretty mind blowing. Night train was and will always be awesome and I get how people say it's "totally gnr" but if u ask me which song musically I like better it would be estranged every time.

Estranged is like a more expanded Axl universe, whereas Nightrain symbolizes Guns N' Roses.

Don't get me wrong. I stupidly love Estranged, it's a masterpiece but Nightrain defines more what it really is the band "Guns N' Roses".

And what is it that defines GNR?

To me Estranged shows what made GNR that bit more exciting and deep.

Estranged is like a more expanded Axl universe, whereas Nightrain symbolizes Guns N' Roses.Don't get me wrong. I stupidly love Estranged, it's a masterpiece but Nightrain defines more what it really is the band "Guns N' Roses".

And what is it that defines GNR?To me Estranged shows what made GNR that bit more exciting and deep.

Agreed, but about half the fanbase wish GNR had never got deep and just kept making songs about drugs and pussy for the rest of their lives.

Estranged is like a more expanded Axl universe, whereas Nightrain symbolizes Guns N' Roses.Don't get me wrong. I stupidly love Estranged, it's a masterpiece but Nightrain defines more what it really is the band "Guns N' Roses".

And what is it that defines GNR?To me Estranged shows what made GNR that bit more exciting and deep.

Agreed, but about half the fanbase wish GNR had never got deep and just kept making songs about drugs and pussy for the rest of their lives.

Fuck, yeh.

I fucking love NightTrain, but Estranged just is one of those songs that make me question how music can exist without this song in it.

Quite easily.

You know what I think of when I listen to this song, and it is an unfortunate image to conjure up? Axl with a sock down a pair of white latex undies going ''look at me, look at me and my big bollocks'' in Tokyo 1992. The Illusion period was embarrassing and Estranged epitomises that embarrassment.

I fucking love NightTrain, but Estranged just is one of those songs that make me question how music can exist without this song in it.

Quite easily.

You know what I think of when I listen to this song, and it is an unfortunate image to conjure up? Axl with a sock down a pair of white latex undies going ''look at me, look at me and my big bollocks'' in Tokyo 1992. The Illusion period was embarrassing and Estranged epitomises that embarrassment.

Maybe you're focusing on the wrong thing completely...Axl's Image was always over the top sleazy, why the hell should that change the music is my question, the Red Hot Chili Peppers would play with nothing but socks on their members and sometimes completely naked...does that mean the performance is all about the big member? Please, stop staring at a guys wang and listen to the music...thats for the chicks dude!!!

I don't understand how you can hate Estranged, DieselDaisy. It's brilliant.

I cannot be bothered with it. Adler and Stradlin are gnr. It is crap. I hate ''look at me, I am Pink Floyd'' pseudo pretension.

Quite easily.

Maybe you're focusing on the wrong thing completely...Axl's Image was always over the top sleazy, why the hell should that change the music is my question, the Red Hot Chili Peppers would play with nothing but socks on their members and sometimes completely naked...does that mean the performance is all about the big member? Please, stop staring at a guys wang and listen to the music...thats for the chicks dude!!!

A bit hard when the guy has donned a pair of shorts which should be made illegal in most countries and is now proceeding to wave his bollocks in front of the camera before me and a few thousand Japanese. Axl did everything possible, for reasons only known to himself, that we, the audience, saw his, 'wang'.

That made my night! lol. But no i think he did that Diesel just to sell more tickets and attract women to Guns. Just like most metal bands will play shirtless, not for the men, for women to look at something while their virgin ears are penetrated with loud obnoxious rock, and in your face c#*! For us broski's, its headbanging or rocking out, not giving a funk about what they dress or wear!! The flipside to that glam "look at me" mentality is the punk influence. Here you have a guy running around in tights screaming like a banshee with a jesus shirt or a Manson shirt! "Blow me, while I blow your mind"

Oh and about Estranged being floyd. Sure but its not nearly as full of itself as The Wall is. Or the Final Cut. 2 great albums that also happen to be full of psycho pretentious Narcissism based on Roger Waters disgust of human beings. The Final Cut is actually better because it leaves that shite behind for post war theme almost entirely. Estranged on the other hand is about losing that one person you think you trust completely and gets you. It's not deep at all, it's a sad song about feeling like an alien to the one person you care for most. She dumps your ass and treats you like you don't exist after swearing to never leave you. Been there myself, I'm not the same person i once was being dumped after a 5 year relationship full talks of children and lasting companionship, it destroy's one's happiness. As Axl says, she took everything from him. In tokyo Axl mentions Hari Kari, the act of taking one's life, in shame to keep honor and dignity after a major failure in life. So....Save for Wish you were here, Pink Floyd is almost entirely devoid of love and full of political fire.

Edited by SuperBlaine
  • Like 2