MyGNR International Guitarist's Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2014 Discussion Thread

I mean, my rig rundown would take 20 seconds. As far as tonal qualities, you all have ears.

Well it can be a bit more than that, but it's fine, there's less of a desire for a full detailed run down than I assumed there would be.

Anyway, so I guess the rig rundown will be option, and you can just submit whatever you want for the tone shoot out. Judging won't be based on as strict of a rubric, and I'll leave it up to the submitter whether they want to go through clean, crunch, hi gain, etc. or just do one. This means the judges will have to judge in a much more general sense based on what they perceive to be the best sounding, rather than by a specific rubric - which I'm cool with if everyone else is.

Would you guys rather there be a rubric, or just a general "gut feeling" judgement on which tone the judges like best?

I'll join. My gear is shit but it'll be fun!

Same here. In fact, I don't even know how to record and upload stuff, but I'm still doing it just for fun.

Bet you guys can't beat mine. 20 year old no-name acoustic guitar practice amp, a Zoom effects pedal and a couple of really budget LP knock offs and Tele copy. (The Tele actually sounds quite decent through a decent amp, but mine sounds like it has a blanket over the top of it.) ?

Alright, so I think we'll just do a "submit whatever you want" type of thing. There will still be some rules, like nothing over 3-4 minutes or so, and the rig run down can be optional. I'll take a few more days to think about some specifics like submission period, and I'll start PMing judges. The one thing I haven't decided on yet is, whether we want a rubric based judgement, or a sort of "who generally sounds best?"

Any opinions on that?

There was another thing I wanted to mention... but I forget, so oh well.

Lol I was gonna record last night but got kinda drunk and my playing was sloppy. The I was like, I'll record tonight, then had to do last minute Thanksgiving prep, got drunk again. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. People don't get drunk on Thanksgiving, right?

Alright, so I think we'll just do a "submit whatever you want" type of thing. There will still be some rules, like nothing over 3-4 minutes or so, and the rig run down can be optional. I'll take a few more days to think about some specifics like submission period, and I'll start PMing judges. The one thing I haven't decided on yet is, whether we want a rubric based judgement, or a sort of "who generally sounds best?"

Any opinions on that?

There was another thing I wanted to mention... but I forget, so oh well.

We can just say what we like about it and what is not so great and why, and then compare different tones and decide what we prefer.

Make it more general is the way to go imo.

Lol I was gonna record last night but got kinda drunk and my playing was sloppy. The I was like, I'll record tonight, then had to do last minute Thanksgiving prep, got drunk again. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. People don't get drunk on Thanksgiving, right?

Heh...

Well let's shit or get off the pot on posting.

Don't take that tone with me. I'm running the show here; one phone call, and you could be disqualified, half way to Siberia in shackles, with a 1,000 year hard labor sentence.

It's OK, I have a plethora of guitars to keep me company.