Fuck Rasp.

parisrocks

The problem is that very few songs make a great use of his baritone.

And let's be honest, he's terrible with the baritone most of the time now too. He's too lazy to fucking sing so he does that whole exaggerated caricature of a baritone thing he does that sounds like he's mocking his own singing voice.

Much perfectionism.

I'm glad you have noticed that too, I thought I was the only one. That reminds of his bitter crybaby rants back in the 90s, where he would mock people's voice. It sort of sounds like that.

And let's be honest, he's terrible with the baritone most of the time now too. He's too lazy to fucking sing so he does that whole exaggerated caricature of a baritone thing he does that sounds like he's mocking his own singing voice.

Much perfectionism.

I'm glad you have noticed that too, I thought I was the only one. That reminds of his bitter crybaby rants back in the 90s, where he would mock people's voice. It sort of sounds like that.
Is this better?

http://youtu.be/-GrmEtTsQk0

(genuinely asking, not trying to be a dick :D)

Edited by MrSoftie

Much perfectionism.

Is this better?

http://youtu.be/-GrmEtTsQk0

(genuinely asking, not trying to be a dick :D)

I never liked Bumblefoot but he made Don't Cry his own. Beautiful intro. Absolute shit singing by Rose.

Is there any version that has a longer intro played by The Foot? I would like to hear that.

Anyway, that Don't Cry was pretty good. "Come the mornin' light..." (3:55) part started clean and ended raspy, but his actual singing was fine for most of the song :shrugs:

That's because 90% of the song is just Axl talking. When he had his moment to shine, he sounded like shit.
http://youtu.be/jzaJG2aHXu8

Difference between Axl coasting through the song and actually singing it is seen at 2:42 in this video. That's Axl's real singing voice or atleast the one everyone likes. Even the crowd there knows it was awesome!

I also love how proud of himself he is after he does it haha

Edited by IncitingChaos

Anyway, that Don't Cry was pretty good. "Come the mornin' light..." (3:55) part started clean and ended raspy, but his actual singing was fine for most of the song :shrugs:

That's because 90% of the song is just Axl talking. When he had his moment to shine, he sounded like shit.

http://youtu.be/jzaJG2aHXu8

Difference between Axl coasting through the song and actually singing it is seen at 2:42 in this video. That's Axl's real singing voice or atleast the one everyone likes. Even the crowd there knows it was awesome!

Thank you for that video. That's a great performance right there. Awesome! :axl:

• Like 1

If you mean the first line, yea, I agree it's weak, but otherwise the ending is fairly strong. I wish he'd have just sung the verse beforehand in the clean talking-style voice instead of the rasp, and used the rasp on that line instead, but he didn't :shrugs:

If you mean the first line, yea, I agree it's weak, but otherwise the ending is fairly strong. I wish he'd have just sung the verse beforehand in the clean talking-style voice instead of the rasp, and used the rasp on that line instead, but he didn't :shrugs:

That verse you're talking about is easier for him to sing than the one he sang with his awful Mickey voice, which is also the stronger part of the whole song.

The very end of the song is laughable, he was out of air, he had to cut it short if you didn't notice. For comparison, watch Puerto Rico 2010 and have your mind blown.

I also love how proud of himself he is after he does it haha

Correct me if I'm wrong but before Puerto Rico, were they performing Don't Cry regularly? It looks like Bumblefoot teased the crowd too much and Axl decided to do the full song at that moment. It looks like he's not even trying, that flawless performance is just pouring out of his body like it was nothing. Very impressed with the intensity of that video.

Wish they would have performed Don't Cry when I saw them in March, 2010. :(

Don't cry in 2010 was a maybe. Bumble would start it Axl may or may not sing it. By the end of the year it became a regular performance but the first half it was rare to hear it. (I remember it being played with Axl once or twice in 2007) I think Axl realized how much the crowd likes it and it's not hard for him to sing.

The difference between 2010 don't cry and 2014 is night and day. I use to think they sound similar but after watching the two back to back you can hear how much he coast through it now. He sings the whole thing in a weird monotone voice. Idk everytime I watch that Puerto Rico performance I realize how incredible his 2010 range and power was. Sad it didn't last.

• Like 1

That verse you're talking about is easier for him to sing than the one he sang with his awful Mickey voice, which is also the stronger part of the whole song.

I know, that's why I said I wish he'd have sung that part clean and rasped the end :lol: Anyway, I still think about 90% of the ending was good, which [unfortunately] is what's expected of Axl nowadays, whereas the Puerto Rico performance was great, which is what people expected 5 years ago. (Not trying to justify anything, just kind of an observation.)

I really don't want to start a bickering war or some shit but, let's look at it this way: 02, 06, 10, and 14 all have distinctly different vocals, wouldn't you agree? Is it really fair to assume then, that Axl should should the same as he did 4 years before, especially given the way he treats his vocals when he's giving it his all? Considering that, if rasp is all you want, he simply can't do it like he did in 2010..... so wait until 2018 and see how he sounds then ;) The clean voice, IMO, for the most part doesn't even sound mickey-ish, by the way.

I went back and looked into this a little bit and I came to this conclusion.

Axl naturally goes to rasp, but it's done damage, so he sings above it and cleaner as a choice. Not because he can't.

I listened to all the Rumbo Tapes and they're full of the scratchy vocals, then I read an article ahead of the Montreal riot show where Slash told the papers that Axl had a hole in vocal chords, then I think of all the higher vocals from '02 ahead, but then we saw that he can rasp it up if he wants to like he did in '10.

It's obviously a choice of technique. If you don't like, don't listen and stay home.

It's obviously a choice of technique. If you don't like, don't listen and stay home.

Looking at the decline of numbers over the years, it looks like people are doing just that.

To be fair it's Guns N Roses not Taylor Swift.

There's plenty of gray area between GNR and Taylor Swift.

Looking at the decline of numbers over the years, it looks like people are doing just that.

True, what I'm saying is the music industry has changed. Rock doesn't sell well anymore.

True, what I'm saying is the music industry has changed. Rock doesn't sell well anymore.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that there are still bands in the gray area that still do well. A lot of GNR's decline is probably coming from the lack of new material and the televised faceplants.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that there are still bands in the gray area that still do well. A lot of GNR's decline is probably coming from the lack of new material and the televised faceplants.

Agreed. Rock in Rio with Axl's Vegas 14 voice or better, live stream, CD release. That would be awesome for Guns.