Nirvana's best song debate.

Towelie

Probably one of these three...

About a Girl

Lithium

Sappy

Lake of Fire is a personal favorite.

Yeah, he really set The Meat Puppets stuff on fire, like Oh Me, Lake of Fire and what was the other one they did? Did you ever check out The Meat Puppets J? I think you'd like em, check out Meat Puppets II.

I would've liked to've seen Kurt veer off into like, Butthole Surfers type territory, piss everyone off :)

They're one of those bands I always said I needed to check out but never did. But since you gave me a starting point, I'm going to give that one a listen. That's the name of the album right? Meat Puppets II ? I loved all their stuff from Unplugged. Sounds like they have a....I don't want to say country but, they mix in a little bit of a western type sound maybe?

Probably one of these three...

About a Girl

Lithium

Sappy

Lake of Fire is a personal favorite.

Yeah, he really set The Meat Puppets stuff on fire, like Oh Me, Lake of Fire and what was the other one they did? Did you ever check out The Meat Puppets J? I think you'd like em, check out Meat Puppets II.

I would've liked to've seen Kurt veer off into like, Butthole Surfers type territory, piss everyone off :)

They're one of those bands I always said I needed to check out but never did. But since you gave me a starting point, I'm going to give that one a listen. That's the name of the album right? Meat Puppets II ? I loved all their stuff from Unplugged. Sounds like they have a....I don't want to say country but, they mix in a little bit of a western type sound maybe?

They do, yes, its kinda like pop meets punk meets country with or at least like...kind of rootsy-folk touch moreso than country, kinda haphazard but thats its charm. Kinda like DIY Credence.

Len faves:

Split Myself in Two

Oh Me

New Gods

Lost

Let me know what you think though :)

Edited by Len B'stard

Love Buzz, but that may be a cover.

It is, originally by Shocking Blue.

My favourite is "Lounge Act".

Great choice :)

Fucking right. Lounge Act, Frances Farmer, and Serve The Servents. In that order.

If you replace Frances Farmer with You Know You're Right, I'd agree.

And whoever mentioned Plateau, that's an awesome one, my favorite on Unplugged after Where Did You Sleep Last Night.

Meta Puppets II was good one. Shonen Knife - Pretty Little Baka Guy also Kurt inspired.

Where did you Sleep Last night on the DVD or just that cover was one of best live performances I've ever seen. That whole show is pretty awesome. He said to his publicist in the elevator out "I was good wasn't I."

Even in his Youth is also great song. Blandest too.

They Hung him on a cross and Ain't it a Shame and Return of the Rat. All ones I picked up from With the Lights Out.

I think it's Blandest which is like a full on song ready to go in demo form. It has the parts and dynamics to rock like a mother.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

If we are going with non album songs, "I hate myself and I want to die" from the Beavis and Butthead experience is a great song, it was originally meant to be the title track of in utero, but they decided that it was a tad too controversial and changed the name of the album and took the song off completely

If we are going with non album songs, "I hate myself and I want to die" from the Beavis and Butthead experience is a great song, it was originally meant to be the title track of in utero, but they decided that it was a tad too controversial and changed the name of the album and took the song off completely

Always liked that little song. I understand changing the album name, still seems like they could have left it on In Utero though.

Meta Puppets II was good one. Shonen Knife - Pretty Little Baka Guy also Kurt inspired.

Where did you Sleep Last night on the DVD or just that cover was one of best live performances I've ever seen. That whole show is pretty awesome. He said to his publicist in the elevator out "I was good wasn't I."

Even in his Youth is also great song. Blandest too.

They Hung him on a cross and Ain't it a Shame and Return of the Rat. All ones I picked up from With the Lights Out.

I think it's Blandest which is like a full on song ready to go in demo form. It has the parts and dynamics to rock like a mother.

Just listened to that Meat Puppets II recently, yeah it's a good one. Kind of crazy they were sounding like that in the early 80's. I would say some Nirvana sounds like Meat Puppets on steroids.

And I don't know about best, but lots of those Unplugged songs are among my favorites. All the Meat Puppet songs, especially Lake Of Fire. Where Did You Sleep Last Night, Man Who Sold the World. I love that whole session.

It's a listenable album and shows that Kurt was a song writer and had huge solo career potential.

According to Stipe he and Kurt had already planned the next album, sound wise and he even set up a studio to record but Kurt pulled out.

There was rumoured to be a whole album of those free form jams which the label rejected.

If there was you can bet that they would have released it by now

Old Age is good too. But I lost that cd though.

Do you have the box set? It is on disc 2.

I lost disc 2. I think it's inside another cd collecting dust. This cd belongs in a museum.

Courtney is probably hording them. There's another album coming out. I remember a label source described it as unlistenable. Then Albini joined.

Geffen thinks everything is suicidal. They sign all the most professional bands.

I'm not sure if they thought In Utero was career suicide because Kurt went self parody for the money. Rape Me is the same riff as Teen Spirit.

It's not as commercial as Nevermind but it's rocktastic compared to Incesticide.

Penny Royal Tea could have been a bigger hit. It's the Better of In Utero.

Edited by wasted

Geffen thinks everything is suicidal. They sign all the most professional bands.

I'm not sure if they thought In Utero was career suicide because Kurt went self parody for the money. Rape Me is the same riff as Teen Spirit.

It's not as commercial as Nevermind but it's rocktastic compared to Incesticide.

Penny Royal Tea could have been a bigger hit. It's the Better of In Utero.

The more I think about it, I'd put Pennroyal Tea as one of their best. Just a great, well done song.