Terrorist attack thread

alfierose

55 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Is the guy who shot the ambassador technically a terrorist?

I'd say political assassin is more accurate.

Terrorism generally involves mass murder of civilians, yes?

I think the issue of late is that strong association between terrorism and religious extremism.  So whenever something is decried a terrorist attack, regardless of its intent, it gets coopted to fit personal religious/political agendas.  

The dude seems to be making a statement about Russia's involvement in Syria and how it has affected the lives of Syrian people.  But when you hear terrorist attack, most assume a religious connotation.  

In this case political assasin is correct. Terrorism is against civilians. The goal in this case was the same though.

And no, we don't automaticly assume something religious when it comes to attacks in Turkey. The attacks there are mostly political and we know that, well Europeans do, not sure how well you are informed overseas.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB. said:

In this case political assasin is correct. Terrorism is against civilians. The goal in this case was the same though.

And no, we don't automaticly assume something religious when it comes to attacks in Turkey. The attacks there are mostly political and we know that, well Europeans do, not sure how well you are informed overseas.

Everyone here thinks that a brown dude yelling an extremely common phrase (allahu akbar) means terrorist.

Seems like his motivations were to make a violent political point about Aleppo to Russia, rather than to cause terror in general.

Granted, political killing or not, this is not the way to communicate the suffering going on in Aleppo. The Russian ambassador did not deserve to die like this. Its just terrible :(

Cant seem to edit my post on my tablet, but by "everyone here" I mean the United States, not mygnrforum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Is the guy who shot the ambassador technically a terrorist?

I'd say political assassin is more accurate.

Terrorism generally involves mass murder of civilians, yes?

We're going to get into technicalities NOW? Hey, once you figure out what you want to call it please explain to classicrawker how Obama's "ISIS containment strategy" is an abysmal failure.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

We're going to get into technicalities NOW? Hey, once you figure out what you want to call it please explain to classicrawker how Obama's "ISIS containment strategy" is an abysmal failure.

How about you explain to me what Obama has to do with the two incidents in Turkey and Germany since you felt the need to bring his name up. What could he have done to prevent these incidents from happening? And please don't give the same old tired BS that he is responsible for the creation of ISIS........And please tell us what you would have done differently to have contained ISIS other than keeping the large number of U.S. troops, as in tens of thousands, in Iraq for the next 50 years which is unsustainable..........

5 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Is SteveAJones posting from Russia?

Anyway, as horrible what happened, this isn't a surprise. Putin should have known what he was getting himself into when he has to interfere in Syria. People are dying. People are outraged. This will happen.

Russia now says it is dedicated to fighting terrorism in the wake of the shooting....Let's see if their strategy in Syria changes as a result of this tragedy..........

5 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Russia now says it is dedicated to fighting terrorism in the wake of the shooting....Let's see if their strategy in Syria changes as a result of this tragedy..........

They've said that before. If Russia concentrated on fighting ISIS as they have on the rebels, ISIS would have lost more territory. Ar-Raqqa might actually be in the same situation as Mosul. 

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

Well they've killed all the civilians there now so technically they're probably not lying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Is SteveAJones posting from Russia?

Anyway, as horrible what happened, this isn't a surprise. Putin should have known what he was getting himself into when he has to interfere in Syria. People are dying. People are outraged. This will happen.

In many ways the killing will be a good thing for Putin and he'll get a lot of political mileage from it by saying to the people of Russia "See? These are the crazy people that we are trying to stamp out".

2 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

In many ways the killing will be a good thing for Putin and he'll get a lot of political mileage from it by saying to the people of Russia "See? These are the crazy people that we are trying to stamp out".

Yeah, killing ambassadors actually works better politically for the leadership, unlike the US.

Hey Barry, THAT sounds a lot like "the terrorists have legitimate grievances".

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

How about you explain to me what Obama has to do with the two incidents in Turkey and Germany since you felt the need to bring his name up. What could he have done to prevent these incidents from happening? And please don't give the same old tired BS that he is responsible for the creation of ISIS........And please tell us what you would have done differently to have contained ISIS other than keeping the large number of U.S. troops, as in tens of thousands, in Iraq for the next 50 years which is unsustainable..........

For starters, as a minimum, I would execute one Gitmo detainee for every terror attack ISIS claims responsibility for. The United States Constitution does not apply to them, nor does the Geneva Conventions (they are not part of a uniformed military). Leftist human rights activists can cry me a river. Additionally, I would ensure I always had at least three ISIS military targets in my scope, so to speak, to execute a military strike upon within 12 hours of every terror attack ISIS claims responsibility for. Finally, last but not least, I would enact an immigration ban for the next five years for all citizens from predominantly Islamic countries. That means ZERO refugees.    

Last I've checked, ISIS is losing more ground than they are gaining. 

THAT sounds a lot like "we have ISIS contained," which Barack Obama stated less than 12 hours before the FIRST significant Paris attack (Charlie Hebdo).

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Russia has been fighting Islamic jihadists for decades. You can bet they ain't leaving Syria. 

54 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Well they've killed all the civilians there now so technically they're probably not lying.

If this is correct then there should be no objection to the relentless wave of Russian airstrikes in the weeks ahead.

5 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

If this is correct then there should be no objection to the relentless wave of Russian airstrikes in the weeks ahead.

Sure, just bomb the shit out of the country that only has terrorists who all have terrorist uniforms and identify themselves as terrorists. It's really easy when you just try not to think about it at all.

Edit: ....or indeed anything

Edited by Dazey

18 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Don't let media deceive you, Putin is already loved by Russians (favorability rating above 80%). Take a look a Russian GDP chart sometime. He has brought stability and prosperity where there was none. Most importantly, nearly 75% of Russians support the nationalist direction the country is taking. 

http://ijr.com/2014/07/158798-vladimir-putins-polling-twice-good-russia-obamas-america/

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Don't let media deceive you, Putin is already loved by Russians (favorability rating above 80%). Take a look a Russian GDP chart sometime. He has brought stability and prosperity where there was none. Most importantly, nearly 75% of Russians support the nationalist direction the country is taking. 

http://ijr.com/2014/07/158798-vladimir-putins-polling-twice-good-russia-obamas-america/

You say don't let the media deceive us. But you have been deceived yourself. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I think you mean cortège formations.

aleppo-child.jpeg

Don't give the Putin-tards a hard on.