Tommy Stinson: It Took A Lot Out Of Axl To Finish Chinese Democracy

Tommy Stinson was recently interviewed by Talk Planet Radio.  I've typed up some of what he said, audio at 2:15:

TOMMY STINSON (THE REPLACEMENTS, GUNS N’ ROSES AND SOUL ASYLUM)

July 27, 2016

You were in Guns N' Roses for 18 years have you seen any of the current tour that they are on?  

Tommy Stinson: You know I saw a couple of those show and I thought they were great and I thought Axl was singing his butt off. I had a good time watching them from a distance, it was fun to be on the other side of that show.  So yeah, cool stuff.  

It's gotta be interesting to observe that from an audience standpoint after being in that band for those 18 years, when Duff came back -- 18 years in any one band in the 21st century that's a very long run.

Tommy Stinson: It certainly is. It was a great run for me, financially it was great for me and it did a lot for me. It formed a lot of relationships that I still have today and I'm pretty stoked about that I'll always be grateful for those kind of things.  

For all of us Gun N' Roses fans we never thought we would ever see the album Chinese Democracy see the light of day. I think it finally got released in 2008. You talk about drama and theatrics, that was a long wait.

Tommy Stinson: It certainly was (laughs). Yeah, you know what, that was a heavy position for Axl to begin trying to do all that. It took a lot because it took a lot out of him to finish it and to make it what it became. And it was super important, there was a lot of it that happened that was super important to him just on a personal level that had to be sorted out before it could come out. He's gonna have to take all that with the whole package you know.

http://talkplanetradio.com/tommy-stinson-the-replacements-guns-n-roses-and-soul-asylum/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I think it might be a lot easier for him to release albums now when the pressure is no longer solely on his shoulders. Now that Slash and Duff are back in the band people will look at it more as a band effort again. And if they don't like it the reaction won't be "fuck you Axl, this is not Guns N' Roses". The reaction might be "fuck you Axl, Slash and Duff, get Izzy back in the band", but that is still a lot better than being the only person who's being blamed. Much less pressure for Axl.

Spot on! +1 to this :) 

56 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Agreed. 

They should have put the album out anytime between 1999-2002 with the Buckethead lineup.

Yeah, with a completely different band name. And then there wouldn't have been any pressure on Axl. Instead he pumped 14 mio $ into CD with 11? different band members (+ navarro + orchestra + beltrami, etc). Re-merckable.

merck.jpg

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RONIN said:

"CD took a lot out of him" -- right, let's talk about Axl's amazing work ethic. He was barely in the fucking studio. Read Chinese Whispers. The old and nu band were essentially jamming by themselves in the most expensive studio in LA where Finck worked on "instrumental #42" for the 500th time.

Basically the songs were done in '99 and he dicked around with pro tools for the next 9 years, which explains the brilliant decision of swapping out Brian May's guitar work for Bumblefoot stroking out on Catcher in the Rye and all the pointless choir and sound effects. The intro and ending choir on TWAT are utterly pointless -- why were they even on there? The MLK sample, the stupid 1 minute intro to CD...it's endless.

God, what a waste that album was. The most expensive vanity album ever. Even Michael Jackson couldn't piss away that much of a recording budget.

but if axl wanted it out in 99 and the studio sent it back, who's to say Axl wasn't just messing with them for the next 9 years purposely wasting their money? Cmon, its Axl. "You don't like my shit!?!? Guess I'll have to develop a bad obsession on this and jump the shark!"

21 hours ago, jayrod737 said:

but if axl wanted it out in 99 and the studio sent it back, who's to say Axl wasn't just messing with them for the next 9 years purposely wasting their money? Cmon, its Axl. "You don't like my shit!?!? Guess I'll have to develop a bad obsession on this and jump the shark!"

I'd buy that if he didn't try the same thing on Illusions. Izzy turned in some of his demos nearly 2 years prior to them getting vocals from Axl. The dude is lazy and an obsessive perfectionist -- those things seem like inherent contradictions but it explains why he has a hard time finishing anything. 

With that said, ofcourse Axl was messing with Interscope -- probably because he had no idea what he wanted to do and was trying to stall for more time. He seemed a lot less confident during the CD years without Izzy, Duff and Slash backing him up. It's only in hindsight that all of this becomes even more apparent. His all-star replacement team of Bucket, Stinson, Finck etc failed to inspire him in the same way that the originals did.

Edited by RONIN

On 8/5/2016 at 0:51 PM, JeanGenie said:

If releasing albums takes so much for him hes got the wrong job imo.

How so? Seems to me that he's got the perfect job. He's got a lot of $$ in the bank, lots of fans, and can work on his own schedule. As a fan, you might not like or agree with that schedule and may do things differently if you were in the driver's seat -- but, as already proven, he's still highly successful doing it his own way. Hard to argue against that. BTW, there's no hard and fast rule on how often you have to release new music or how you go about doing it -- especially in the world we now live in. We fans may want it right now and every couple years, but we'll still be there lining up to hear it whenever he feels like he's got something to contribute.

• Like 2

Well gnr is a tribute band that lives from the past. Axl has lost all his artistic integrity imo. A variety show that keeps playing the same old songs over and over. If you as a musician have to bring yourself to release some music youre in the wrong business imo. 

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

How so? Seems to me that he's got the perfect job. He's got a lot of $$ in the bank, lots of fans, and can work on his own schedule. As a fan, you might not like or agree with that schedule and may do things differently if you were in the driver's seat -- but, as already proven, he's still highly successful doing it his own way. Hard to argue against that. BTW, there's no hard and fast rule on how often you have to release new music or how you go about doing it -- especially in the world we now live in. We fans may want it right now and every couple years, but we'll still be there lining up to hear it whenever he feels like he's got something to contribute.

Fair enough but we then have to consider him as someone who has been essentially an incredibly uninteresting and lazy 'legacy' act since 1991, and not somebody creative, who can be called an 'album' artist like the great acts which GN'R were unable to surpass, e.g. your Stones's, Beatles's - even your Pear Jam's.

Just as it is his right to believe he has the 'perfect job' and sit in it, so it is our right to conclude that the man is creatively redundant. 

• Like 1

I reckon you could put Axl's voice over 12 tracks of basic rock instrumentals and it would have sounded on a par with most of CD.

Axl's calling card is his unique voice - most of the time it makes something middle of the road sound top notch. That's why I never quite got why he had to tweak the musical aspect for years and years on end. Perfectionist to a fault. Just sing man, it will be better than good 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

it is our right to conclude that the man is creatively redundant. 

Correction. YOUR right. Not everyone would agree with your assessment. Likely very few. But everyone is entitled.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

were unable to surpass, e.g. your Stones's, Beatles's - even your Pear Jam's.

According to you. While I certainly agree with the Stones and Beatles (who has surpassed them?) I definitely don't agree with Pearl Jam. I find that one quite laughable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RONIN said:

I'd buy that if he didn't try the same thing on Illusions. Izzy turned in some of his demos nearly 2 years prior to them getting vocals from Axl. The dude is lazy and an obsessive perfectionist -- those things seem like inherent contradictions but it explains why he has a hard time finishing anything. 

With that said, ofcourse Axl was messing with Interscope -- probably because he had no idea what he wanted to do and was trying to stall for more time. He seemed a lot less confident during the CD years without Izzy, Duff and Slash backing him up. It's only in hindsight that all of this becomes even more apparent. His all-star replacement team of Bucket, Stinson, Finck etc failed to inspire him in the same way that the originals did.

The guy Is far from lazy. As a matter of fact almost everyone that has worked with him  has complimented him on his exceptional work ethic. You also do not drip buckets of sweat for 3 hours every other night If you are "lazy". As far as him being an obsessive perfectionist, well that Is another story and you may be on to something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

Correction. YOUR right. Not everyone would agree with your assessment. Likely very few. But everyone is entitled.

I meant 'our' as our collective right to form our own opinions.

Axl has released fifteen original songs in twenty-five years. I'm not sure what you assessment of creative redundancy is, but that simple fact - fifteen songs in twenty-five years - would fulfill most people's basic requirement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ironmt said:

The guy Is far from lazy. As a matter of fact almost everyone that has worked with him  has complimented him on his exceptional work ethic. You also do not drip buckets of sweat for 3 hours every other night If you are "lazy". As far as him being an obsessive perfectionist, well that Is another story and you may be on to something.

And remarkably not lose an ounce of weight!

• Like 3