DJ Ashba Wanted To Back Out Of Guns N' Roses Audition, Manager Convinced Him To Go

17 hours ago, moreblack said:

Thing I liked about him is he played the Slash solos closer to right, than Robin ever could.

"Closer... than Ron Ever could" bullshit. If Ron wanted to play them note for note he could have. He chose to have some creative license, just like ashba who shit all over a bunch of the former guitar players parts.

Ashba was a blues based lead player... That's the only similarity between him and slash.... Other than the hats. Bumble can play the blues (even if he says otherwise) and he can play any other style under the sun, all if which he does convincingly.  

I don't get the hate towards Ashba, yeah he is an annoying Character, but his tone was way better than Robin's, yeah he did fuck up here and there, his solo spots like Ballad of Death and Mi Amor were way better than the crappy solo spots which Robin had. 

Robin did a great job in Axl's solo album, but when it came to playing GNR songs, it was just meh.

You can facepalm me, but I did like the first two albums by Sixx Am 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

"Closer... than Ron Ever could" bullshit. If Ron wanted to play them note for note he could have. He chose to have some creative license, just like ashba who shit all over a bunch of the former guitar players parts.

Ashba was a blues based lead player... That's the only similarity between him and slash.... Other than the hats. Bumble can play the blues (even if he says otherwise) and he can play any other style under the sun, all if which he does convincingly.  

I said Robin not Ron, Ron was guilty of throwing fits of what I call guitar tourette's all over the old solos. Ashba was the only one that ever expressed any interest in playing the leads anywhere close to the album versions.

• Like 1

DJ "Livin the dream" Ashba.  His aunt and uncle invited aerosol and he went on to create black t shirts. He brought the much needed Hulk Hogan and emo vibe that everyone was missing in GNR.  He claims to have beat up a GNR fan once.  He bent those notes and tweeted those tweets: This is his story.

6 hours ago, AlexC said:

No of course not. It's not like it's his band or anything... fuck me. Seriously?

You're right that it's his band, but considering there were probably many people lining up for the gig and Axl already knew Ashba once I could see him just reviewing videos of them and just choosing the one he felt more comfortaible with. I'm not saying it's the right way, but if he wanted to do it like that then he is entitled to do it. plus it does shows he had a lot of trust in whoever he put in charge of said auditions.

Thought that was an interesting read. Very funny (and sad at the same time) that he rehearsed for ages and only finally played with Axl right on stage. Never fully understood the hatred for Ashba here; his main mistake seems to be that he is / was not Slash....He actually seems like a genuine nice, positive guy with a weird taste in clothing and a little too much self marketing (can`t really blame him for that though, he gotta make a living.)....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Słash said:

I don't get the hate towards Ashba, yeah he is an annoying Character, but his tone was way better than Robin's, yeah he did fuck up here and there, his solo spots like Ballad of Death and Mi Amor were way better than the crappy solo spots which Robin had. 

Robin did a great job in Axl's solo album, but when it came to playing GNR songs, it was just meh.

You can facepalm me, but I did like the first two albums by Sixx Am 

Nah that's pretty true. Robin also dressed more emo than Dj ever did :lol::facepalm:

One thing is very clear ... no matter how good the musician is, in these projects of Axl, it is impossible for the musician to develop, record and grow with the boss. Dexter lost the best guitarist GNR ever had, out of sheer incompetence ... and I'm talking about Bucket.