How important are they to you?

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I always looked at the guitarists growing up. My heroes were all guitarists (or guitarists stroke singers a la Jimi or Chuck). Guitarists are the 'cool' swaggery macho guys in leathers looking like Cousin It while frontmen tend to be diva like and effeminate. It was always a Jagger, Tyler or Rose who seemed to want to drop a ballad on you and lead the band in some rather surprising direction haha.

In actual fact one exception is Bon. He was a macho rock n' roller.

myles kennedy is a total exeption as well. frontman boring as sh.. and no charisma at all. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Natty said:

myles kennedy is a total exeption as well. frontman boring as sh.. and no charisma at all. 

See it does not really affect me - or it wouldn't have years ago - as I just used to focus on the guitars. When I was about twelve Rose was merely this annoying fella who sang with laryngitis; I didn't like the ballads, the stage costumes thing and music videos and just wanted Guns to play macho rock n' roll. Slash was my original hero in that band.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That's a good point :lol: and it makes it easier. Axl, if this ever happens, be late, please :lol:

...he would probably start early just to spite us. We need to play the reverse psychology mind games.

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In actual fact one exception is Bon. He was a macho rock n' roller.

Macho rock n' roller, yes... But I think the frontman-rockstar element was there somewhere (unlike Brian Johnson). We don't know how he'd have evolved had he not passed away before AC/DC became huge. Word is (I don't know where it originates from, just read it on the AC/DC forum) that he felt limited in AC/DC and he saw it as just a step in his career.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Macho rock n' roller, yes... But I think the frontman-rockstar element was there somewhere (unlike Brian Johnson). We don't know how he'd have evolved had he not passed away before AC/DC became huge. Word is (I don't know where it originates from, just read it on the AC/DC forum) that he felt limited in AC/DC and he saw it as just a step in his career.

He died with his jeans on and his fist still pumping in the air. Well in actual fact he didn't: he died in the back of a car covered in sick, but you see my point? We did not have to endure a Bon-led industrial trilogy or some Jagger-esque mincey ballads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Very cool memories and times.. We were burning a fatty in my car at one point and I was showing him tracks on Live Era that he was on.  He had no idea any of the tracks on the album were from when he was in the band.. 

He wasn't like.... Time to lawyer up! Was he? :lol:

• Like 1

To answer the question here, Axl isn't a draw any more as a solo star imho. If it was Axl circa 1994-99? Yeah, I would even go see wilderness era Axl over the other 4 members. Even if the reason I became a fan in the first place was Slash.

But that Axl is long gone. You have a good songwriter without the pipes to sing the songs (mostly). The backing band (nu guns) were shit except for the original '01 lineup imho. So there is no draw for me here. A vocalist that struggles to sing through the set and a backing band of b and c-listers? Nah.

On the other hand - Duff and Slash have gone from strength to strength. They've only gotten better with age. Plus you get Izzy and Steven in the mix? This is a no-brainer regardless of who the vocalist is. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

...he would probably start early just to spite us. We need to play the reverse psychology mind games.

Yes, maybe you're right... unless it would be beyond his ability to force himself :lol:

It doesn't matter that Axl to me is (by far) the most important member, in this scenario I'll go see Steven and Izzy (and Slashn'Duff).

Having seen Axl with NewGNR once and NITLGNR 3 times. Slash with VR, MK and NITLGNR and Duff with VR, Loaded and NITLGNR while never seen the other 2 makes it simple especially when Sluff's added (and no other singer than Izzy/Duff).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

So anyway, very few rock records actually blend different music styles the way CD does. There's If The World with the flamenco guitar, there's Sorry with the Metallica/Pink Floyd vibes. Prostitute with Moby elements. Title track with the grunge influenced sound etc... Not to mention of course Axl's Elton John inspired songs with orchestra etc..

For Axl GNR has always been a melting pot of music that he has enjoyed throughout the years. AFD and especially UYI albums were a melting pot of different styles and the same GNR tradition continued with CD. Now you might argue that it doesn't sound like GNR. But we're not arguing whether it sounds like GNR to you or me. We're arguing about whether Axl was trying to make it sound like GNR or not. We have interviews that support my point of view. Nothing really supports your point of view.

Also I'm not sure if you know what I meant by emotional honesty, cause that's actually a pretty rare thing in rock n' roll. Most rock singers are too busy acting cool. Then we could also talk about the song structures. In classic GNR tradition there's songs that barely even have a chorus. That's a very rare thing in music these days. Most music revolves around a chorus. Since the old days GNR has had songs with more interesting song structures, like Estranged for example and the same tradition continues on songs like There Was A Time. Show me a band that has the same kind of song structures, mixes different kind of music elements, has the same kind of anger and emotional honesty etc... Then your argument that countless rock records do the same sounds more credible.

And don't give some metal album, that has piano in it or whatever. I'm talking about a hard rock album that does all that.

zillions of bands and albums "blend different music styles".

zillions of bands and albums have "emotional honesty".

you may not know the bands and albums

you may not like them

but that doesnt mean they dont exist

the fact that you think that "blending different music styles" and having "emotional honesty" are GNR "defining traits" is laughable at best

===

Now wtf do you mean by "In classic GNR tradition there's songs that barely even have a chorus"?

WTF?

guns n roses has ONE SONG that doesnt have a chorus and it is COMA. Even Get in The Ring has somewhat a "chorus"

EVERY SONG in Apettite has a chorus. Mr. Browstone has TWO!

(Appetite, BTW, is the defining GNR album, like you or not. But we can go on...)

EVERY SONG in Lies has a chorus.

EVERY SONG in Use Your Illlusion I has a chorus -- except COMA.

EVERY SONG in Use Your Illlusion II has a chorus -- including GET IN THE RING and ESTRANGED

Also, most of GNR songs have classic "pop" structures -- i.e. intro, verse, bridge, chorus etc

some of them are a bit more complex (with outros, 2nd chorus, refrain, etc), and truly interesting as you mentioned

you should probably thank izzy, slash and duff for that just as much as you would thank axl

but really, its nothing out of this world

if anything, axl solo songs structures are very similar to GNR song structures

and also very similar to a LOT of bands song structures...

On 8.7.2017 at 3:52 PM, ludurigan said:

zillions of bands and albums "blend different music styles".

zillions of bands and albums have "emotional honesty".

you may not know the bands and albums

you may not like them

but that doesnt mean they dont exist

the fact that you think that "blending different music styles" and having "emotional honesty" are GNR "defining traits" is laughable at best

===

Now wtf do you mean by "In classic GNR tradition there's songs that barely even have a chorus"?

WTF?

guns n roses has ONE SONG that doesnt have a chorus and it is COMA. Even Get in The Ring has somewhat a "chorus"

EVERY SONG in Apettite has a chorus. Mr. Browstone has TWO!

(Appetite, BTW, is the defining GNR album, like you or not. But we can go on...)

EVERY SONG in Lies has a chorus.

EVERY SONG in Use Your Illlusion I has a chorus -- except COMA.

EVERY SONG in Use Your Illlusion II has a chorus -- including GET IN THE RING and ESTRANGED

Also, most of GNR songs have classic "pop" structures -- i.e. intro, verse, bridge, chorus etc

some of them are a bit more complex (with outros, 2nd chorus, refrain, etc), and truly interesting as you mentioned

you should probably thank izzy, slash and duff for that just as much as you would thank axl

but really, its nothing out of this world

if anything, axl solo songs structures are very similar to GNR song structures

and also very similar to a LOT of bands song structures...

I'm perfectly aware that many bands blend different music styles. I'm perfectly aware that many bands have emotional honesty and show both a sensitive side and anger. And I know that many bands have more complex song structures. I never said that GNR would be some kind of a peak of complexity either. But they do have songs like Coma, Estranged, TWAT and many others, that don't revolve around the chorus. Yes, for example There Was A Time does have a chorus, but it's very short and the songs focus is more on the verses, compared to 90% of songs out there, which rely heavily on their choruses. That's what I meant by barely having a chorus.

Anyway, none of the stuff I mentioned are things that only GNR does. But GNR just might be the only hard rock band that has all of these qualities, I've mentioned in one band. That's why I asked you to name one other hard rock album that has all these ingredients of GNR in about the same portion as CD does. But you didn't name one.

Now you might argue that mixing elements of different music genres isn't even an important part of GNR music or whatever. But clearly it is an important part of GNR music to Axl.

And that's my point. Axl was trying to make CD sound like GNR. But his idea of what GNR sounds like, may not be the same as your idea of what GNR is supposed to sound like. But everything points to the direction that Axl was trying to make a record, that was true to his vision of GNR. If he would have made a solo record, it would have been very different.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 9:57 AM, gnfnrs1972 said:

There is trouble in imaginary world. They aren't together anymore as Guns N Roses. Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven are together touring as a group and Axl finally went out on his own as a solo artist. They are both in your city the same night performing in different venues at the same time.You know nothing of the setlist because its both of their first stop on tour. Axl won't be late : ) Who do you go see.

I go see Slash, Duff,Izzy and Steven. 

Velvet Revolver was better than NuGuns, so having Izzy and Steven form a band with Slash and Duff would be a no-brainer.

Perhaps this would be a harder decision if we were talking about 87-92 Axl.  I don't want to see Mickey sing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I go see Slash, Duff,Izzy and Steven. 

Velvet Revolver was better than NuGuns, so having Izzy and Steven form a band with Slash and Duff would be a no-brainer.

Perhaps this would be a harder decision if we were talking about 87-92 Axl.  I don't want to see Mickey sing.

I would go see the band also. Axl is my favorite in the studio but not live. But while I was at the show watching the band I would be wondering if Axl had dropped a whole new set of music. In my imaginary world Chris Cornell would still be alive fronting the big 4.

Edited by gnfnrs1972
  • Like 1

Axl - if he was playing new music and not the same songs he has been playing for 30-plus years. 

If it was yet just another round of the same basic tour Axl has been touring for the last 17 years then I would for sure to see Duff/Slash/Izzy and Adler. Even if it was Myles singing. 

I much prefer a singer to stand in one place and keep his voice on top form over a guy running around and losing his voice and breath all show. 

Voice means more to me than charisma. It's not a track and field event. A singer needs to sing. 

After reading this thread again I can't help but laugh at those who say Axl for sure because if he was a solo artist he's have so much more freedom to do whatever he wants. As if to suggest now suddenly the GnR name is a burden to Axl. Like it's this weight on his shoulders that has stiffled his creativity and if he could just shed the Guns N Roses name he'd suddenly become this insane creative force delivering the most incredible new music the world has ever heard, putting on shows that would blow our minds.  It's like for all the years people defended Axl saying he IS in fact Guns N Roses they're now saying if only he wasn't Guns N Roses then we'd get to see the real genius that is Axl Rose. :lol:

Gimme a break. Regardless of who the singer was the combination of Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven would absolutely blow Axl outta the water. Anyone who chose the Axl "solo" show over Guns N Roses would be severely disappointed afterwards. 

• Like 1

On July 7, 2017

On 7/7/2017 at 4:14 AM, Lies They Tell said:

(...) Chinese Democracy DOES have riffs and guitar solos, it does have Axl screams, it does have both rockers and slower songs, it does have angriness and it does have emotional honesty.

It even blends many music styles just like old GNR did. (...) It does have many key components of what makes GNR sound like GNR.

On July 9, 2017

On 7/9/2017 at 1:45 PM, Lies They Tell said:

I'm perfectly aware that many bands blend different music styles.

I'm perfectly aware that many bands have emotional honesty and show both a sensitive side and anger.

I know that many bands have more complex song structures.

Anyway, none of the stuff I mentioned are things that only GNR does.

Thanks for clarifying the subject!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Edited by ludurigan

On 7/7/2017 at 5:11 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Very cool memories and times.. We were burning a fatty in my car at one point and I was showing him tracks on Live Era that he was on.  He had no idea any of the tracks on the album were from when he was in the band.. 

man i know you probably didnt but did you get to ask him about unreleased GNR music from 1985-1990? or maybe ask him if he has some tapes of uncirculated material like rehearsals and studio jams and whatever? id love to know that!