2014 RRHoF inductees include Kiss, Hall & Oates, Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens

ohlovelyrita

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Is Worthless

Whatever illuminati votes on inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is undergoing its deliberations for the class of 2014. The process apparently includes much backstage lobbying, as induction can lead to a real spike in sales of back catalogues and "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee" looks good on the obituaries some of these people are no doubt expecting to be written soon. But the fact is, entry into the Rock Hall is the most worthless music honor this side of a Grammy Award. Luckily, there's a way to fix that.

See also: 10 No-Brainer Rock Legends Never Nominated For The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame

• 1 month later...

Glenn Hughes just told me that if Purple gets in he will be there

I would be surprised if any of the Purple people didn't come, with the exception of Blackmore. I don't see why Coverdale, Gillan, etc wouldn't come. To my knowledge, no one from that band is on bad terms. I mean, they still tour also and that would be cool to see all the guys up there, although it would absolutely be bittersweet without Richie.

I am on a Deep Purple bender right now and have been reading several books about the band including one by the bands ex tour manager and another which is the only bio on Ritchie which is quite good...

From all I read Ritchie is very similar to Axl in that his mood changes on a dime with trivial shit ruining his day, is a control freak, and can be extremely difficult to work with....and much like Axl he shuns the press and does very few interviews anymore..........

Ritchie hates most of the current (Gillan and Glover) and ex members of Deep Purple (Coverdale and Hughes) and hates the spotlight so I can't ever see him attending an awards show these days especially with Deep Purple.............I have heard he even refuses to sign any DP type pictures or albums these days............

that being said I think it a travesty Deep Purple is not already in the RnR HoF and it just underscores what a joke the place is................

So how many members of Yes are going to accept if they get in? They've had so many lineup changes. Probably more than Deep Purple. That being said, if it means seeing Jon Anderson singing with them again, I'd love to see it. He should be on tour with them anyway.

They are very similar in that with most of the lineup changes it is the same people being recycled over and over so tough to say who has had more changes between DP and Yes..........

Edited by classicrawker

Ritchie :fuckyou: ignoring fans :fuckyou: ignoring his band :fuckyou: ignoring significance to rock music :fuckyou:

I hear you mate but he just does not give a shit what anyone thinks of him and never has and is happy playing Medieval music with his wife in Blackmore's Night............which I happen to think is quite good myself..........

If you want to get a real insight into his personality I highly recommend the following books

Very well written unauthorized biography about the man in black............

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Knight--Ritchie-Blackmore-Softcover/dp/B003950RUQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1387220051&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=black+knight+ritchie+blackmore

Some really funny stories about Ritchie in this book which highlights what a prick he can be........

http://www.amazon.com/Hart-Life-Colin-ebook/dp/B00EZSYMRU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387220115&sr=1-1&keywords=Deep+Purple+hart

• Like 1

Ritchie :fuckyou: ignoring fans :fuckyou: ignoring his band :fuckyou: ignoring significance to rock music :fuckyou:

I hear you mate but he just does not give a shit what anyone thinks of him and never has and is happy playing Medieval music with his wife in Blackmore's Night............which I happen to think is quite good myself..........

If you want to get a real insight into his personality I highly recommend the following books

Very well written unauthorized biography about the man in black............

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Knight--Ritchie-Blackmore-Softcover/dp/B003950RUQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1387220051&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=black+knight+ritchie+blackmore

Some really funny stories about Ritchie in this book which highlights what a prick he can be........

http://www.amazon.com/Hart-Life-Colin-ebook/dp/B00EZSYMRU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387220115&sr=1-1&keywords=Deep+Purple+hart

i really like blackmores night as well, would love to hear him bust out another rainbow album with doogie white, i thought stranger in us all was a pretty good album.

i really like blackmores night as well, would love to hear him bust out another rainbow album with doogie white, i thought stranger in us all was a pretty good album.

I like Night as well, but two words: Graham Bonnet.

:headbang:

Down to Earth is extremely underrated and the best non-Dio Rainbow album...I actually prefer it to the first Rainbow album.

Blackmore's Night have put out consistently good to great albums since their inception. I never thought they'd last this long, for some reason but it seems that Ritchie is finally happy with what he's doing

Seriously? No Zombies, Yes, and DEEP FUCKING PURPLE!? One of the founding fathers of hard rock and heavy metal? The band behind what is possibly the most iconic riff in rock n' roll? The Hall of Fame is so stupid, jesus christ. I just don't get it.

Ah well, what happens with KISS should be interesting. Original 4 or bust

Nirvana, KISS among 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees

BY MARY MILLIKEN

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18am ES

(Reuters) - Nirvana, the influential Seattle grunge band founded by the late Kurt Cobain, and the flamboyant 1970s rockers from KISS were among six new inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the organization said on Tuesday.

British singers and songwriters Peter Gabriel and Cat Stevens, folk-pop singer Linda Ronstadt and rock and soul duo Hall and Oates completed the list of performer inductees to the prestigious Hall of Fame, chosen from 16 nominees.

The induction ceremony will take place in New York City on April 10, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation said in a statement.

Nirvana, formed by singer and guitarist Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic in the late 1980s, brought grunge music to the mainstream and was considered the flagship band of Generation X with songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are."

Cobain committed suicide in 1994 at the age of 27 and the band broke up after just three full-length studio albums in a seven-year career, during which Nirvana sold 75 million records worldwide, making it one of the best-selling acts in music history.

Nirvana was chosen as an inductee in its first year of eligibility. The Cleveland-based Hall of Fame establishes that an artist or group must have released their debut album or single at least 25 years earlier to be eligible.

KISS shocked the music world in the mid-1970s with its outlandish black-and-white makeup, racy costumes, hard-pounding tunes and elaborate shows. Songs such as the trademark "Rock and Roll All Nite" helped define a hard rock-and-shock style that continues to thrive today.

Peter Gabriel, 63, was lead vocalist and flautist for the progressive rock band Genesis, a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2010 inductee, before pursuing a solo career that produced hits including "Sledgehammer."

Cat Stevens, the former stage name for Yusuf Islam, shook up 1970s rock with his distinctive voice and compositions such as "Wild World" and "Moon Shadow." He later converted to Islam and today at 65 years of age combines music with philanthropy and humanitarian causes.

Linda Ronstadt, known as the "First Lady of Rock," was a mainstay of the 1970s rock scene with hits including "You're No Good" in 1975. The 67-year-old revealed this year that she could no longer sing due to Parkinson's disease.

Daryl Hall and John Oates broke out in 1976 with the hit "Rich Girl" and ruled the charts in the 1980s with bouncy melodies "Kiss on My List" and "Private Eyes."

The inductees were chosen by more than 700 voters from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, but fans were also allowed to cast votes online for the artists they believe were the most deserving of induction. Three of the top five artists from the fan ballot will be inducted in 2014.

"This year's Hall of Fame Inductees really capture the passion of the fans," said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

The E Street Band, the group behind singer Bruce Springsteen, will be inducted through the Award for Musical Excellence, the foundation said.

The late music entrepreneur who managed The Beatles, Brian Epstein, and Andrew Loog Oldham who managed The Rolling Stones will be inducted with the Ahmet Ertegun Awards for lifetime achievement, named after the late founder of Atlantic Records.

I like Night as well, but two words: Graham Bonnet.

:headbang:

Down to Earth is extremely underrated and the best non-Dio Rainbow album...I actually prefer it to the first Rainbow album.

Blackmore's Night have put out consistently good to great albums since their inception. I never thought they'd last this long, for some reason but it seems that Ritchie is finally happy with what he's doing

I agree that it's probably the best non-Dio one.... but I like all of Dio's better. That first album is probably in my top 5 favorite albums.

Seriously? No Zombies, Yes, and DEEP FUCKING PURPLE!? One of the founding fathers of hard rock and heavy metal? The band behind what is possibly the most iconic riff in rock n' roll? The Hall of Fame is so stupid, jesus christ. I just don't get it.

Ah well, what happens with KISS should be interesting. Original 4 or bust

Yup, RRFoH is basically a joke now. There's an Alex Lifeson quote somewhere out there that sums it up nicely.

Deep Purple deserved it more than GN'R. Deep Purple deserved it more than Metallica. There were three big British hard rock bands in the '70s, Zeppelin, Sabbath and Purple: the former two were inducted years' ago. Purple were certainly as big as Sabbath if not bigger and they were not a million miles away from Zeppelin's level of popularity. They have their masterpieces also, Machine Head, In Rock, Fireball, Burn, Made in Japan - two to three of those usually make it onto 'top 100 lists album' lists. What the hell have Purple done to piss off the HoF so much? They must have done something as it is now a running joke, about Purple not being inducted. It actually makes the HoF look like a complete joke.

I agree with Johnny Rotten that the Hall of Fame is a 'piss stain.'

If any of these bands had a fuckin pair of bollocks they would snub the event on the principal that Purple are not in.