Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite Illusion rocker

• LOCOMOTIVE
    • BREAKDOWN
    • PRETTY TIED UP (HANGIN' UPSIDE DOWN)

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I actually think UYI I is the better album. Both have some great, top-10 songs but UYI I is way more consistent, where UYI II ranges from epics to a few more good songs to KOHD, My World, Get In The Ring and the other filler... basically all my least favourite GNR songs come from UYI II or TSI? :lol:

Pretty Tied Up is one of the 'few more goods songs', it's not a top 5 but it's better than the rest of the filler the album is packed with. To be fair it's probably the 6th best song on the album.

i actually think its impossible and non productive to rank gnr songs 

mostly all of them (classic era) are fucking sweet

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i actually think its impossible and non productive to rank gnr songs 

mostly all of them (classic era) are fucking sweet

Most of them are great songs but when you've listened to them a thousand times you get an idea of which ones are your favourite. No harm in ranking them really, not like I'm saying any song is bad just because I prefer others over it.

Pretty Tied Up never really did much for me. Not saying it's bad it's just nowhere near the same level as Breakdown or Locomotive. It sounds more like an Appetite left over that didn't make the cut so they just threw it on Illusions as a cool little filler.

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I actually think UYI I is the better album. Both have some great, top-10 songs but UYI I is way more consistent, where UYI II ranges from epics to a few more good songs to KOHD, My World, Get In The Ring and the other filler... basically all my least favourite GNR songs come from UYI II or TSI? :lol:

Pretty Tied Up is one of the 'few more goods songs', it's not a top 5 but it's better than the rest of the filler the album is packed with. To be fair it's probably the 6th best song on the album.

I've always thought UYI II was far superior tbh, it just flows a lot better and has the more standout songs for me. I even like GITR, Shotgun Blues and My World which a lot of people seem to not. :lol:

Edited by bucketfoot

I picked "Pretty Tied Up" not necessarily because it's a better song musically than Locomotive (it's not) but because it's a fun song that reminds me of something they would have done between the AFD and Lies era...It's a lighter song and considering their current live show is already full of the more serious/deeper songs....I'd enjoy seeing them playing this the most live.  I think it would be a great change of pace song on the current setlist.

Edited by Kasanova King

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I picked "Pretty Tied Up" not necessarily because it's a better song musically than Locomotive (it's not) but because it's a fun song that reminds me of something they would have done between the AFD and Lies era...It's a lighter song and considering their current live show is already full of the more serious/deeper songs....I'd enjoy seeing them playing this the most live.  I think it would be a great change of pace song on the current setlist.

^^^ This. It's easily one of my favourite GN'R songs.

I love all three - they all make it into to my Ultimate Illusion playlist.  Voted for Locomotive, though: I love how the lyrics are also like a runaway train and never seem to slow down until they hit the beautiful coda.  I love the sleaze of Pretty Tied Up - it's like a Stray Cat Blues for the 90s - and the fact that it has no obvious middle-eight...because it doesn't need one.  And I think Breakdown is one of Axl's most underrated songs - I'd take it over November Rain any day.   

On 20/03/2017 at 4:12 PM, yoshimura said:

That instrumental sounds great! Thank you.

UYI need to be reissued:

• Remove extraneous layers of vocals and sound fx.
  • Tone done the excess drum reverb
  • Trim down locomotive while they're at it. Good song, but it could be great if it were shorter.
  • Remove Dizzy's keys from certain songs

None of which should or will ever happen.

Breakdown is something special. It's the thing GNR do or can do that I'm not sure any other band has really done. 

• Like 4

On 21 March 2017 at 9:58 PM, AlexC said:

Pretty Tied Up never really did much for me. Not saying it's bad it's just nowhere near the same level as Breakdown or Locomotive. It sounds more like an Appetite left over that didn't make the cut so they just threw it on Illusions as a cool little filler.

But lyrically it's how Izzy saw the band post AFD? 

The fact Axl sang that song is confusing to me. Did he agree? Was he oblivious? He said he wanted Izzy's songs on the albums. It's like he wanted chronicle the demise of the band. 

Breakdown is like that too, it sort of explains what was going to happen. 

UYI is interesting with this tug of war between Axl and Izzy lyrically. RNDTH is Axl losing his mind then Izzy comes in and says that's okay. And so on.