The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

@AxlsFavoriteRose:

the boyardee continuation:

Oh yeah, Ive used carrots too.  I omit sugar when i use carrots as they add enough sweet (and is healthier of course).  I cant get it as smooth as the store bought when I use carrots though.  I love having a use for all the tomato juice at harvest and its fun to mimic junk food from the gardens bounty.

• Like 1

i never add any sugar or anything sweet to my tomato sauce, like for spaghetti, lasagna etc. i use tomato paste which may have sugar in it? and tomato sauce. like Hunt's cos like the commercial says they steam their tomatoes instead of using lye! i never even KNEW tomatoes were peeled by using lye by some companies :facepalm:

if you start making your tomato sauce and selling it i will buy it! :D

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i never add any sugar or anything sweet to my tomato sauce, like for spaghetti, lasagna etc. i use tomato paste which may have sugar in it? and tomato sauce. like Hunt's cos like the commercial says they steam their tomatoes instead of using lye! i never even KNEW tomatoes were peeled by using lye by some companies :facepalm:

if you start making your tomato sauce and selling it i will buy it! :D

Lye?! It takes like 45 seconds in boiling water to get skin off, is that so hard on industry?  I only add sugar for the chef boyardee clone, because thats what it takes to clone it :).  I should add though that lye is whats used to get outer skin off of corn to make tortilla, pupusa and tamale but as far s I understand its necessary and inside stuff never touches it, unlike the tomatoes.   

If I start selling tomato sauce, it will very likely not be my boyardee clone!  Plus, Im not gonna try and compare with yours that you've been making since grade 5!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soon said:

Lye?! It takes like 45 seconds in boiling water to get skin off, is that so hard on industry?  I only add sugar for the chef boyardee clone, because thats what it takes to clone it :).  I should add though that lye is whats used to get outer skin off of corn to make tortilla, pupusa and tamale but as far s I understand its necessary and inside stuff never touches it, unlike the tomatoes.   

If I start selling tomato sauce, it will very likely not be my boyardee clone!  Plus, Im not gonna try and compare with yours that you've been making since grade 5!!!

yeah that really make me kinda sick thinking i've been buying lye tomatoes :vomit: but now Hunt's it is

awww that's sweet. i think i've improved it since then...fresh herbs baby! :lol:

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah that really make me kinda sick thinking i've been buying lye tomatoes :vomit: but now Hunt's it is

awww that's sweet. i think i've improved it since then...fresh herbs baby! :lol:

One day Ill ask for recipe :) 

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i will give it to you but i mainly eyeball it! :lol: like oh ok that LOOKS right ;)

Im honoured :).  I thought Id have to wait years!  I guess I did teach you how to make chef boyardee and alphaghetti though, so fair's fair :lol:

Lay it on me!

Edited by soon

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Im honoured :).  I thought Id have to wait years!  I guess I did teach you how to make chef boyardee and alphaghetti though, so fair's fair :lol:

Lay it on me!

oh i almost blew it! this is a secret recipe so i will send it to you via email. don't want everyone having it!

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh i almost blew it! this is a secret recipe so i will send it to you via email. don't want everyone having it!

Awesome thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one thing, when cooking it do you ever refer to it as "sketti sauce" or any other pet name that may be necessary to use to correctly recreate it?  Ive noticed that this can be key :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Awesome thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one thing, when cooking it do you ever refer to it as "sketti sauce" or any other pet name that may be necessary to use to correctly recreate it?  Ive noticed that this can be key :) 

ha! no never called it that. there is a place in Sac called Bascetti's and the name kinda turned me off plus their pasta sucked! now if you want to call it gravy that is cool! that's what the real Italians call it! :)

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ha! no never called it that. there is a place in Sac called Bascetti's and the name kinda turned me off plus their pasta sucked! now if you want to call it gravy that is cool! that's what the real Italians call it! :)

I am 1/4 Italian and I do not want to call it that

Just now, soon said:

I am 1/4 Italian and I do not want to call it that

wow that's cool! i am 1/32 native american, the rest is pure mutt. german,english, irish, scottish... God knows what else! i never call it gravy either. but that's because i grew up on "granny gravy...the gravy that my grandma made as i am sure her mom did and maybe her mom before. made the same as my spaghetti sauce but this you need to keep an eye on as you want to get it to that thick but not too thick consistency. sooooo good on biscuits, or on chicken fried steak or just by the spoonful! :lol:

wow that's cool! i am 1/32 native american, the rest is pure mutt. german,english, irish, scottish... God knows what else! i never call it gravy either. but that's because i grew up on "granny gravy...the gravy that my grandma made as i am sure her mom did and maybe her mom before. made the same as my spaghetti sauce but this you need to keep an eye on as you want to get it to that thick but not too thick consistency. sooooo good on biscuits, or on chicken fried steak or just by the spoonful! :lol:

I've been known to slurp a spoon full of gravy myself, hehe!   I do call some Indian dishes "gravy" as do most Indian chefs that Ive learned from (like online or in books i mean).  

Just now, soon said:

I've been known to slurp a spoon full of gravy myself, hehe!   I do call some Indian dishes "gravy" as do most Indian chefs that Ive learned from (like online or in books i mean).  

i have tried to make Indian food and it just never worked. i love it i restaurants but i think i might need a Tandoori oven! they sell naan bread here in the supermarkets and i grab one every once in a while. but i want to have some nice samosas and tandoori chicken! 

what do you make? :)

i have tried to make Indian food and it just never worked. i love it i restaurants but i think i might need a Tandoori oven! they sell naan bread here in the supermarkets and i grab one every once in a while. but i want to have some nice samosas and tandoori chicken! 

what do you make? :)

On a regular basis just naan, palak paneer, chilli paneer (wet and dry versions), the one with cauliflower and potato and various coconut yellow curries.  But Ive enjoyed trying out more with varying degrees of edibility.

Youd easily rock palak paneer.  Its fun to make the paneer too!

6 minutes ago, soon said:

On a regular basis just naan, palak paneer, chilli paneer (wet and dry versions), the one with cauliflower and potato and various coconut yellow curries.  But Ive enjoyed trying out more with varying degrees of edibility.

Youd easily rock palak paneer.  Its fun to make the paneer too!

i want you to make all this and @DieselDaisyto make his Japanese food including sushi! we could all have a party :D

2 minutes ago, soon said:

If you make your world famous beans, a French dish and some BBQ, Im in!  Oh, and one of your delicious desserts

deal! gonna go clean the kitchen then go to bed...it is so HOT still but i can close the bedroom door and use my very nice portable A/C ( bought it before i got central A/C but i use the portable one because why cool the whole house off when i am in the bedroom? :P )

have a great night! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soon said:

Whats your favourite way to prepare tuna steak?

I tend to oven bake it in foil. Recipes always say 10 minutes but that's always too well done for me. 

@janrichmond Aside from the standard fags, booze and drugs, I'm advised against tuna, shellfish, raw fish, soft cheese with a skin, blue cheese, cured meats and steak cooked any less than well done. I think that's it. There has been several times I've had to miss out on review meals because of this. 

No specific cravings yet. But I'm exhausted for most of the time, so am eating biscuits like there's no tomorrow to keep my energy levels up. I've gone from one or two cups of coffee a day to zero as I don't like it now. And I'll drink tea, but find it weird once it's cooled past a certain temp. 

@AxlsFavoriteRose I call BS on the woman you knew eating dirt due to cravings. That's not pregnancy, that's derangement. 

9 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

I tend to oven bake it in foil. Recipes always say 10 minutes but that's always too well done for me. 

@janrichmond Aside from the standard fags, booze and drugs, I'm advised against tuna, shellfish, raw fish, soft cheese with a skin, blue cheese, cured meats and steak cooked any less than well done. I think that's it. There has been several times I've had to miss out on review meals because of this. 

No specific cravings yet. But I'm exhausted for most of the time, so am eating biscuits like there's no tomorrow to keep my energy levels up. I've gone from one or two cups of coffee a day to zero as I don't like it now. And I'll drink tea, but find it weird once it's cooled past a certain temp. 

@AxlsFavoriteRose I call BS on the woman you knew eating dirt due to cravings. That's not pregnancy, that's derangement. 

@Gracii Guns call it what you like, it's true! and i googled it ( google rocks! ) and found it it not that uncommon. sooooo if you find yourself in the garden scarfing down dirt, told ya! :

http://theweek.com/articles/485983/why-pregnant-women-eat-dirt

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm saying bollocks on that fish pertaining to pregnancy. I refuse to believe it is anything less than beneficial. Packed with omega oils.

if anyone eats a lot of tuna they can get mercury poisoning. i learned that on an episode of House! :P i think they do it as an added precaution for pregnant women. guess they could never actually test a live fetus to see how much mercury they can tolerate?

oh well idk who Gracii got her info from but this says you can have have SOME while pregnant, less canned more fresh so she should like that.

ttps://www.babycentre.co.uk/x557950/is-it-safe-to-eat-tuna-during-pregnancy

14 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

OMG on my 2nd pregnancy i was addicted to steak,prawns, salmon and tuna and would have one or the other everyday. I just didn't want any other food!! Of course none of these were bad for you at the time:lol:

I'm sure you have many mums telling you shit like this,lol, then trotting out the "it never did me any harm" just ignore us old farts and carry on! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

OMG on my 2nd pregnancy i was addicted to steak,prawns, salmon and tuna and would have one or the other everyday. I just didn't want any other food!! Of course none of these were bad for you at the time:lol:

I'm sure you have many mums telling you shit like this,lol, then trotting out the "it never did me any harm" just ignore us old farts and carry on! 

Haha, everything in moderation. Folks have been having babies successfully since the dawn of humanity, which shockingly enough, was pre modern science.  
The one piece of advice I've not taken is not to have sex without a condom. This is the one time unprotected sex is 100% safe! It's mainly if the man has an STI, though. Modern times! :awesomeface:

• Like 1