The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

8 hours ago, soon said:

@wasted I remember you you were looking for different ways that people like to cook ribs.  Did you get to try any?  Any new preferred way to prepare ribs?

I went with barbq sauce on the ribs, then in foil for 1-2 hours or as long as I could, then blast them for that crispiness. And I've switched from long ribs to the short rack ones. I make them once a week, kitchen is kind of an inferno now though, put the oven on to get tropical effect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I went with barbq sauce on the ribs, then in foil for 1-2 hours or as long as I could, then blast them for that crispiness. And I've switched from long ribs to the short rack ones. I make them once a week, kitchen is kind of an inferno now though, put the oven on to get tropical effect. 

i am doing BBQ ribs for my 4th of July. i will do a dry rub then wrap them in foil and throw on the grill for a couple hours low and slow. about 30 minutes before i will  check and if they are just about to fall off the bone i will slather them with my cherry chipotle sauce. also doing buffalo burgers. i am thinking of making a couple of large pitchers of lemonade, one with vodka and one plain. i was going to do shortcakes for dessert but my friend is bring a chocolate cake frosted in buttercream and decorated "in red, white and blue", she would not tell me but i am guessing she will have it decorated as an American flag :D

35 minutes ago, wasted said:

Like a tropical holiday :)   Those sound great!  Im jealous of the once a week thing!!  What about the short rack do you prefer?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i am doing BBQ ribs for my 4th of July. i will do a dry rub then wrap them in foil and throw on the grill for a couple hours low and slow. about 30 minutes before i will  check and if they are just about to fall off the bone i will slather them with my cherry chipotle sauce. also doing buffalo burgers. i am thinking of making a couple of large pitchers of lemonade, one with vodka and one plain. i was going to do shortcakes for dessert but my friend is bring a chocolate cake frosted in buttercream and decorated "in red, white and blue", she would not tell me but i am guessing she will have it decorated as an American flag :D

Again, the BBQ sauce sounds so good!!!!  Great meal all around.  I forgot about hard lemonade.  Thats happening!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soon said:

Like a tropical holiday :)   Those sound great!  Im jealous of the once a week thing!!  What about the short rack do you prefer?

I think that it just looks like what you get in TGI Friday's. Whereas as the long ones are more like the ones in the Yunnan country style with flaked chilis on them. Next stage is JD on the ribs. I'm not sure why I want to cook diner style. I need a route 66 sign and Bud sign on the wall. I've got the Magnum PI fridge full of beers/coke zeros, All I need now is a black van full of junk to start my own tv series. 

22 hours ago, soon said:

haha! And a moustache if you dont already have one. Nice and bushy.  Malt shakes wouldn't hurt either

That makes sense to me about the size.  Is JD used in a sauce or brushed on as is?

Fridays has JD ribs but not sure how they do it. Guess just mix it in with the barbq sauce and paint it on. Like an artist. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2017 at 4:54 PM, soon said:

Again, the BBQ sauce sounds so good!!!!  Great meal all around.  I forgot about hard lemonade.  Thats happening!

it happened! ribs were superb! that cherry chipotle was so good! and the beans....i might have used a splooge more than i usually do because instead of spooning it out it was too close to empty and more than i thought came out  but i just added a tad more sweet ( molasses and brown sugar ) and more bacon and they were scarfed down. the buffalo burgers were so good, if i could afford to use buffalo instead of hamburger in all i use hamburger to make ( meatloaf, spaghetti sauce etc etc ) i would cos it is so lean but the flavor makes up and it does not taste dry at all. kudos to Amanda for the chocolate cake with white buttercream frosting and the American flap piped in with buttercream as well! and yay for the pool!

p.s @soon just email me at the email i gave you if you want PRIVATE details...miss ya my friend :D

33 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it happened! ribs were superb! that cherry chipotle was so good! and the beans....i might have used a splooge more than i usually do because instead of spooning it out it was too close to empty and more than i thought came out  but i just added a tad more sweet ( molasses and brown sugar ) and more bacon and they were scarfed down. the buffalo burgers were so good, if i could afford to use buffalo instead of hamburger in all i use hamburger to make ( meatloaf, spaghetti sauce etc etc ) i would cos it is so lean but the flavor makes up and it does not taste dry at all. kudos to Amanda for the chocolate cake with white buttercream frosting and the American flap piped in with buttercream as well! and yay for the pool!

p.s @soon just email me at the email i gave you if you want PRIVATE details...miss ya my friend :D

well hello!!!  nice to see you on screen!

Private BBQ details?  The secret sauce?!?!!

I finally got behind a bbq and just did some hamburgers and hotdogs with store bought sauce, but was still very very nice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, soon said:

well hello!!!  nice to see you on screen!

Private BBQ details?  The secret sauce?!?!!

I finally got behind a bbq and just did some hamburgers and hotdogs with store bought sauce, but was still very very nice.

most BBQ is nice! i just don't advise using an electric BBQ starter in the rain...i tried to push the season and i thought i had the BBQ starter and grill under this teeny porch i had many many years ago but the rain came in at a slant....i tried to unplug it and zzzzzzzzzzt! gosh i got shocked!

no sauce recipe i guess no such addy found :(

yes "special recipe" in the special email :D only YOU get it!!!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i LOVE soft boiled eggs and so did my dad! i also love fried eggs over easy with the yolk all runny so i can run my toast through it!

Guy on the Radio today was saying you lot don't eat soft boiled eggs, Do you eat them with soldiers?

Like this?

Edited by janrichmond

I made a Chinese recipe today, Chinese Curried Chicken and Peppers,

Prep

-  remove skin from (two) chicken breasts with a sharp knife and dice chicken into small 'Chinese' pieces (I like long thin strips) 

- dice up two bell peppers, preferably one red and one green for a bit of Ying and Yang contrast and in nice neat shapes or long strips.

- whiten the chicken. This is a process the Chinese use frequently. Have you ever noticed chicken from a Chinese takeaway or restaurant is velvety? Basically you lightly whisk one egg white with a pinch of salt and a pinch of cornflour. When the corn flour is amalgamated, mix it in with the chicken in a container and leave for 20 - 40 mins in a refrigerator.

- To About 150ml of chicken stock, add one table spoon of rice wine or sake, two table spoon of light soy, a table spoon of curry powder and one table spoon of brown sugar.

Method

1/ On high heat in about 150ml vegetable oil shallow fry (that is when you use more oil than frying, but less than deep frying) the chicken pieces until they start to turn opaque (about 2 mins). Remove and sieve to remove oil - It does not matter if the Chicken is not fully cooked as you'll be returning it later.

2/ Clean out pan and on high heat stir fry peppers for about 2 mins.

3/ Add liquid and cook for a further 1-2 mins

4/ Return chicken and cook for a further 2 mins, stirring well to finish off chicken in liquid. While this is happening...

5/ Remove about three-four table spoons of liquid to a little dish and mix in about a table spoon of cornflour until it is amalgamated into a thickening agent. Mix it well in the pan and finish off cooking process.

* Serve with boiled steam rice (not like the silly Brits do to their Chinese Takeaways, with Egg Fried Rice!).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Guy on the Radio today was saying you lot don't eat soft boiled eggs, Do you eat them with soldiers?

Like this?

that guy was obviously misinformed! are soldiers strips of toast you dip in the open top of the soft boiled egg? cos no i don't. i think i recall my dad just tearing pieces to dip in ( you know us American heathens! ) i just eat mine plain ( saves on calories not having toast ;) )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I made a Chinese recipe today, Chinese Curried Chicken and Peppers,

Prep

-  remove skin from (two) chicken breasts with a sharp knife and dice chicken into small 'Chinese' pieces (I like long thin strips) 

- dice up two bell peppers, preferably one red and one green for a bit of Ying and Yang contrast and in nice neat shapes or long strips.

- whiten the chicken. This is a process the Chinese use frequently. Have you ever noticed chicken from a Chinese takeaway or restaurant is velvety? Basically you lightly whisk one egg white with a pinch of salt and a pinch of cornflour. When the corn flour is amalgamated, mix it in with the chicken in a container and leave for 20 - 40 mins in a refrigerator.

- To About 150ml of chicken stock, add one table spoon of rice wine or sake, two table spoon of light soy, a table spoon of curry powder and one table spoon of brown sugar.

Method

1/ On high heat in about 150ml vegetable oil shallow fry (that is when you use more oil than frying, but less than deep frying) the chicken pieces until they start to turn opaque (about 2 mins). Remove and sieve to remove oil - It does not matter if the Chicken is not fully cooked as you'll be returning it later.

2/ Clean out pan and on high heat stir fry peppers for about 2 mins.

3/ Add liquid and cook for a further 1-2 mins

4/ Return chicken and cook for a further 2 mins, stirring well to finish off chicken in liquid. While this is happening...

5/ Remove about three-four table spoons of liquid to a little dish and mix in about a table spoon of cornflour until it is amalgamated into a thickening agent. Mix it well in the pan and finish off cooking process.

* Serve with boiled steam rice (not like the silly Brits do to their Chinese Takeaways, with Egg Fried Rice!).

that's it....you MUST cook for me! :D that sounds yummy and yes i always wondered about the whitening...i heard cornstarch but you explained it perfectly :)

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that's it....you MUST cook for me! :D that sounds yummy and yes i always wondered about the whitening...i heard cornstarch but you explained it perfectly :)

Egg white, pinch of salt and pinch of cornflour, mix, mix in chicken, fridge for 20mins then shallow fry. ''Whitening'' chicken. I apply it to dishes I've just rustled up myself! I make a gigantic bowl of chicken egg fried rice for the whole family and use the yolk for the rice and the white for the chicken.

It is a great method of the Chinese, and very easy (and easy to remember).

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Egg white, pinch of salt and pinch of cornflour, mix, mix in chicken, fridge for 20mins then shallow fry. ''Whitening'' chicken. I apply it to dishes I've just rustled up myself! I make a gigantic bowl of chicken egg fried rice for the whole family and use the yolk for the rice and the white for the chicken.

It is a great method of the Chinese, and very easy (and easy to remember).

i have been craving chinese but the chinese food we have here seems extremely sketchy...that sounds soooo yummy :)

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I learned most of my Chinese cookery from sifu Ken Hom.

wow...born in Arizona! then to Chicago then to UC Berkley. that's awesome! i found while living in the Bay Area that Chinese food there was a lot different than in Texas! ( much better) but now i have found out that even that is anglicized a lot... you learned the real deal. impressive :) 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow...born in Arizona! then to Chicago then to UC Berkley. that's awesome! i found while living in the Bay Area that Chinese food there was a lot different than in Texas! ( much better) but now i have found out that even that is anglicized a lot... you learned the real deal. impressive :) 

Avoid the big westernised buffets and go where the Chinese go. You'll have to eat Chinese style, chopsticks, with a rice bowl, two-three dishes and a pot of green tea. Some of the most authentic Chinese food can be found outside China because of the diaspora to places like San Fransisco, New York and Europe.

Hom worked in his uncle's Chinese restaurant and I think he spent time in China also as a youngster, living with relatives, as he has all of these anecdotes in his book. In his book he talks about the meals his grandma made, and the smells that greeted him coming from school and ''what the Chinese do''. It is authentic cuisine. But living and working in America made him well placed to introduce the cuisine to westerners in the '80s. This is his seminal book,

12706325._UY200_.jpg

I think it has been updated with a new cover recently but I just have the original from the '80s (nicked it from my mother haha).

Basically it is my bible.

I have a few more of his also, including one on general Asian cuisine which has some wonderful dishes. I really like his cooking. Him and Floyd are my heroes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

@AxlsFavoriteRose @soon Is it true that Americans don't eat soft boiled eggs? 

Ive never had a soft boiled egg or noticed one on a menu.  I've seen the odd egg cup in peoples houses, in a cabinet though.  Its my impression that they are not at all common around here.

I like poached eggs and I think that might be kinda close?

On 7/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, soon said:

Ive never had a soft boiled egg or noticed one on a menu.  I've seen the odd egg cup in peoples houses, in a cabinet though.  Its my impression that they are not at all common around here.

I like poached eggs and I think that might be kinda close?

also do they list the way eggs are prepared on menus? here they just ask how you like 'em cooked! :P

i think poached eggs you crack the egg and cook it in an egg cup or by itself in simmering water with vinegar added sometimes to keep the whites from floating away :P  a soft boiled egg you cook like a hard boiled egg but for a lot less time. :) 

• Like 1