The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

so i deliberately bought extra salmon last night because i love cold salmon salad sandwiches! i mash the salmon up, put in a bit of tartar sauce, a squirt of lemon juice, a tad of mayonnaise ( Duke's...someone here told me it's the best and they just started carrying it here, i love it! ) sliced summer ripe tomatoes on sliced sourdough bread. Heaven! :wub:

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

so i deliberately bought extra salmon last night because i love cold salmon salad sandwiches! i mash the salmon up, put in a bit of tartar sauce, a squirt of lemon juice, a tad of mayonnaise ( Duke's...someone here told me it's the best and they just started carrying it here, i love it! ) sliced summer ripe tomatoes on sliced sourdough bread. Heaven! :wub:

Sounds so good!  I have some left over chicken that I am planning to make a chicken salad sandwich with and decided to put tarragon in.  As I harvested the tarragon I couldn't help thinking to myself "how can AFR not like this stuff?" :) 

Edit: speaking of harvest, there are fresh picked muddled raspberries in my beer and its so very good!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds so good!  I have some left over chicken that I am planning to make a chicken salad sandwich with and decided to put tarragon in.  As I harvested the tarragon I couldn't help thinking to myself "how can AFR not like this stuff?" :) 

Edit: speaking of harvest, there are fresh picked muddled raspberries in my beer and its so very good!

i thought of you while making that sandwich :) like how you'd probably use homemade tartar sauce and for sure tomatoes from your garden. while i was swimming i noticed a strong smell of licorice...i think i have anise growing in my yard! i love licorice flavor so i will definitely have to come up with a dish using it...maybe porchetta??

did you get my top secret spaghetti recipe? ;)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i thought of you while making that sandwich :) like how you'd probably use homemade tartar sauce and for sure tomatoes from your garden. while i was swimming i noticed a strong smell of licorice...i think i have anise growing in my yard! i love licorice flavor so i will definitely have to come up with a dish using it...maybe porchetta??

did you get my top secret spaghetti recipe? ;)

I checked repeatedly for the recipe but hadn't seen it yet.  Thanks!!!!!!

:) 

Yay Anise!!!!!   I dont know how many different anise there are.  Star anise, Anise hyssop. Others?  My Anise Hyssop is so good this year and the flowers so beautiful!  Thats awesome that its just offering itself to you, free of labour!!!!!  Ive never had porchetta, but if you think so i would bet youre right.  Im not really experienced with it as it was very weak last year after i established it. 

I was thinking of using mine in a curry-esque dish.  And I definelty plan to test if it infuses into milk on stove as well as basil does, and then use it in deserts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

I checked repeatedly for the recipe but hadn't seen it yet.  Thanks!!!!!!

:) 

Yay Anise!!!!!   I dont know how many different anise there are.  Star anise, Anise hyssop. Others?  My Anise Hyssop is so good this year and the flowers so beautiful!  Thats awesome that its just offering itself to you, free of labour!!!!!  Ive never had porchetta, but if you think so i would bet youre right.  Im not really experienced with it as it was very weak last year after i established it. 

I was thinking of using mine in a curry-esque dish.  And I definelty plan to test if it infuses into milk on stove as well as basil does, and then use it in deserts.

oh it used to thrive in Sac where i lived! i would drive down the road that led to where i lived and the air was just full of the scent of it!

i remember one of my friends who works for a very famous restaurant in Sac... she made a great porchetta :) she also gave me the recipe for their famous Portuguese bean soup and i have made it every year since then! so so so delicious!

curry sounds killer! make it my friend :D

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh it used to thrive in Sac where i lived! i would drive down the road that led to where i lived and the air was just full of the scent of it!

i remember one of my friends who works for a very famous restaurant in Sac... she made a great porchetta :) she also gave me the recipe for their famous Portuguese bean soup and i have made it every year since then! so so so delicious!

curry sounds killer! make it my friend :D

Im jealous:  like half of what I toil to grow here, grows as weeds in your area, or in Sac!!!

Id like to try more Porteguese food.  Ive had homecoming from an Island off of Portugal who's name Im blanking on that was amazing.   And though the Islanders maintain a distinction in identity the cuisine has many crossovers.  So I bet Portuguese is great!

Now, Im thinking classic shortbread, with anise infused milk chocolate topping or half dipped?   Nah, thats not quite it, but I'm circling in on it :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Im jealous:  like half of what I toil to grow here, grows as weeds in your area, or in Sac!!!

Id like to try more Porteguese food.  Ive had homecoming from an Island off of Portugal who's name Im blanking on that was amazing.   And though the Islanders maintain a distinction in identity the cuisine has many crossovers.  So I bet Portuguese is great!

Now, Im thinking classic shortbread, with anise infused milk chocolate topping or half dipped?   Nah, thats not quite it, but I'm circling in on it :) 

i am sure whatever you come up with will be delicious!

growing up it was me and my mom who loved the licorice flavored candy...jelly beans especially!

that is the only portuguese food i make but it really is delicious! it has linguica, kale, small red beans, red wine and a bunch of other yummy stuff. it is so good on a cold winter's night :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i am sure whatever you come up with will be delicious!

growing up it was me and my mom who loved the licorice flavored candy...jelly beans especially!

that is the only portuguese food i make but it really is delicious! it has linguica, kale, small red beans, red wine and a bunch of other yummy stuff. it is so cold on a cold winter's night :)

Azores - the Azores Islands.  Anyways

I haven't cocked with red wine in too long.  Gotta a major craving now!  And hmmm.... that might pain very well wth anise.

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Azores - the Azores Islands.  Anyways

I haven't cocked with red wine in too long.  Gotta a major craving now!  And hmmm.... that might pain very well wth anise.

i love cooking with red wine....merlot in particular! all winter food...stew, barley beef soup, soups, all so good!

you can make poached pears with red wine, dang, there was a red wine that the late Laurie Colwin ( my all time favorite food author ) use in poached pears. she described it as fizzy and she drank the remainder of the bottle before her bf could drink any! it sounded sooo good though :) need to find out what it was...

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Not a tartar sauce fan...but the rest sounds fab! I eat salmon once a week but have never eaten it as a cold sandwich. Yum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Cauliflower based, low carb cheesy bread sticks.  I thought @wasted would be interested?

as i've told you a thousand times you are so very kind :)

the big thing here now is they are selling things such as riced veggies for rice without as many carbs, veggie tots, and mashed veggies!

16 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

as i've told you a thousand times you are so very kind :)

the big thing here now is they are selling things such as riced veggies for rice without as many carbs, veggie tots, and mashed veggies!

veggie tots?  that does not sound right!

I made a Mediterranean salad with a Chinese twist earlier,

- Prepare whatever salad you desire. I had spinach leaves, diced tomatoes and Jalpenos, as well as, for the Mediterranean style (cubed) Feta cheese and olives. You could however use lettuce leaves and whatever else springs to mind. Prepare all this in a bowl . Refrigerate if you are doing it in advance.

- Take one chicken breast per person and dice into long Chinese style strips. Mix one egg white with a pinch of salt and about 1/2 tea spoon of corn flour. Mix egg in with chicken strips in a bowl or container and refrigerate for 20-30mins

- High heat on hob in wok or pan, shallow fry chicken in vegetable oil until white and cooked through (2-3mins), taking care to stir. Drain well in colander or sieve.

- Wash out and dry pan/wok and place back on hob with olive oil. Saute diced chorizo for 1-2mins, stir frying. The oil from the chorizo should run and infuse with the oil creating a delicious dressing.

- Chuck entire contents of pan into salad bowl. Add a lot of black pepper and toss salad thoroughly.

Serve with either crusty bread or plain white rice.

PS

For alternatives to the chicken, stir fried prawns would be an excellent. You could also stir fry beef (or even use left over beef from a roast dinner). You could also, minus the chicken, serve as a side salad for fish. Chorizo goes very well with fish such as cod.

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

- Prepare whatever salad you desire. I had spinach leaves, diced tomatoes and Jalpenos, as well as, for the Mediterranean style (cubed) Feta cheese and olives. You could however use lettuce leaves and whatever else springs to mind. Prepare all this in a bowl . Refrigerate if you are doing it in advance.

- Take one chicken breast per person and dice into long Chinese style strips. Mix one egg white with a pinch of salt and about 1/2 tea spoon of corn flour. Mix egg in with chicken strips in a bowl or container and refrigerate for 20-30mins

- High heat on hob in wok or pan, shallow fry chicken in vegetable oil until white and cooked through (2-3mins), taking care to stir. Drain well in colander or sieve.

- Wash out and dry pan/wok and place back on hob with olive oil. Saute diced chorizo for 1-2mins, stir frying. The oil from the chorizo should run and infuse with the oil creating a delicious dressing.

- Chuck entire contents of pan into salad bowl. Add a lot of black pepper and toss salad thoroughly.

PS

For alternatives to the chicken, stir fried prawns would be an excellent. You could also stir fry beef (or even use left over beef from a roast dinner). You could also, minus the chicken, serve as a side salad for fish. Chorizo goes very well with fish such as cod.

Thanks!  Sounds tasty!  I havent had a chance to try the chicken/egg white/corn starch thing you've introduced me to yet, but I can instantly tell when I've had it at restaurants and am looking forward to trying it out.

AFR will need a chorizo substitute! :) 

EDIT:  I just cooked chicken and forgot to try that technique :facepalm:.  And it was a Chinese inspired dish no less!

Edited by soon

On 03/08/2017 at 5:40 PM, DieselDaisy said:

PS

I made this again today except I tweaked it a bit by adding roasted almonds. One tip: make sure you leave the jalpenos out if you are serving it with fish as I find they over power proceedings.

• Like 1

Oh, that sounds like such a nice time!

Ive made some jam, but I was the assistant to a somewhat experienced maker.  Not sure about any tips.  In my limited experience getting the consistency right (how you want it) is the tricky part, but its not ruined if it's not the perfect consistency.

Bernardin now makes a low sugar pectin.  So one doesnt have to add so much sugar.  Im planning to try that out when I get around to the strawberry-basil jam I need to make.  But Im not sure if that matters for you or how it compares to traditional pectin with sugar.

I plan to follow this as a guide to assist in addition pectin package instructions:  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Jam

Please let me know if you find any tips when you make it!

EDIT: @Archtop, this was supposed to be in response but I forgot to quote you.  Just in case you didnt see it yet :) 

Edited by soon

@soon Thankyou for the reply, I made my blackberry and cinnamon  jam yesterday evening using a very similar recipe to the one you linked.

I used preserve suger, it doesn't require extra pectin. The whole process was much easier than I expected, however my only tip would be careful at the end when asked to add the butter. The process I followed was to skim off some of the excess froth with a spoon then add a knob of butter to break down the remainder. I did this but my mixture was still too hot and the butter burnt immediately, unfortunately leaving a very faint taste. (Not noticeable on toast) If I do it again I will add the butter earlier as apparently from  reading some other recepies it will still help eliminate the froth if added befor bringing to a gentle boil. 

I didn't get the right consistency the first time, simmered for a little longer and tried again and it was fine. All in all I was quite proud of my first attempt at jamming, and best of all my children enjoyed the process of picking the fruit, making the jam and eating it this morning on some freshly baked bread.  🙂

33 minutes ago, Archtop said:

@soon Thankyou for the reply, I made my blackberry and cinnamon  jam yesterday evening using a very similar recipe to the one you linked.

I used preserve suger, it doesn't require extra pectin. The whole process was much easier than I expected, however my only tip would be careful at the end when asked to add the butter. The process I followed was to skim off some of the excess froth with a spoon then add a knob of butter to break down the remainder. I did this but my mixture was still too hot and the butter burnt immediately, unfortunately leaving a very faint taste. (Not noticeable on toast) If I do it again I will add the butter earlier as apparently from  reading some other recepies it will still help eliminate the froth if added befor bringing to a gentle boil. 

I didn't get the right consistency the first time, simmered for a little longer and tried again and it was fine. All in all I was quite proud of my first attempt at jamming, and best of all my children enjoyed the process of picking the fruit, making the jam and eating it this morning on some freshly baked bread.  🙂

Blackberry cinnamon sounds delicious!  Id really like to try that now.

Thanks for introducing me to preserve sugar.  I had no idea there was so many different methods.  And that butter tip will be really helpful.  Glad its not noticeable!  

Sounds like a very lovely childhood experience.  Those smells and favours stay with us.  Hope my first solo jamming goes this well!  Baked bread is outta the question though, I just cannot get a loaf of bread to turn out for the life of me! :lol:

3 hours ago, soon said:

Blackberry cinnamon sounds delicious!  Id really like to try that now.

Thanks for introducing me to preserve sugar.  I had no idea there was so many different methods.  And that butter tip will be really helpful.  Glad its not noticeable!  

Sounds like a very lovely childhood experience.  Those smells and favours stay with us.  Hope my first solo jamming goes this well!  Baked bread is outta the question though, I just cannot get a loaf of bread to turn out for the life of me! :lol:

My husbands a baker,  can't take credit for that bit. 😀

Oh and my recipe was based on just 450g of fruit and I ended up with 2 very large jars of  jam, I see recepies for much larger amounts so be warned you could be breakfasting on jam and toast for the foreseeable future. 

2 minutes ago, Archtop said:

My husbands a baker,  can't take credit for that bit. 😀

Oh and my recipe was based on just 450g of fruit and I ended up with 2 very large jars of  jam, I see recepies for much larger amounts so be warned you could be breakfasting on jam and toast for the foreseeable future. 

I need to fall in love with a baker!  So jealous :lol:

It really is tough to gauge ones needs in preserves!  Ill go for around that amount and can in 1/4 pints.  The rest of the strawberries can be for cheese cake. :) 

• Like 1