The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

The middle pic looks like mine. I buy them ready cooked from the supermarket and heat for 25 minutes in the oven. Easy :P

Those are delicious! I prefer to get mine on the outside too, but need to use up this fake sriracha.  Mine would be ready in even less time :P

I hope you get to also try Buffalo Wings sometime, they're also really good imo.  Chicken wings + any tasty sauce; its hard to go wrong really!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 11:48 AM, soon said:

I didnt think it was presented as being to vinegary either.  Glad its still good and rounded out with flavours.  Have you tried the Karma?  Im still thinking to maybe order some.

I got an organic "Sriracha" from the store and it was really vinegary too; more like Franks then anything else.  So its going for Buffalo sauce.

I haven't tried the Karma Sauce yet but I'll probably make some wings and try it tomorrow. I made some wild rice and prawns with the hot ones chipotle sauce though and it was pretty good, and I don't really know or care how the scoville scale works but apparently the chipotle sauce is 3/4 as hot as Karma sauce, I'm hoping karma sauce is as good as I imagine it will be... although, the guests on this season of hot ones make it seem like it's hotter than I expect. :lol:

I don't really like Franks or Tobasco or anything too vinegar-and-cayenne flavoured, at least on it's own. My go-to is a combination of sriracha, sweet thai chili and habanero sauces.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I haven't tried the Karma Sauce yet but I'll probably make some wings and try it tomorrow. I made some wild rice and prawns with the hot ones chipotle sauce though and it was pretty good, and I don't really know or care how the scoville scale works but apparently the chipotle sauce is 3/4 as hot as Karma sauce, I'm hoping karma sauce is as good as I imagine it will be... although, the guests on this season of hot ones make it seem like it's hotter than I expect. :lol:

I don't really like Franks or Tobasco or anything too vinegar-and-cayenne flavoured, at least on it's own. My go-to is a combination of sriracha, sweet thai chili and habanero sauces.

I usually wouldn't go as hot as Karma seems too, but the flavour profile sounds too good to pass up.  This seasons somewhat brutal, eh? :lol:  I swear I can hear the wear on his voice.

I can see you understand the art of hot sauce in a way I could only aspire towards.  That combination sounds great.  Im not to keen of Franks or Tobasco on its own either except for on pizza. A few dabs on the pizza and a bunch on the crust.

If you disappear we'll know it was because the karma wings got the best of you :lol:

12 hours ago, soon said:

I usually wouldn't go as hot as Karma seems too, but the flavour profile sounds too good to pass up.  This seasons somewhat brutal, eh? :lol:  I swear I can hear the wear on his voice.

I can see you understand the art of hot sauce in a way I could only aspire towards.  That combination sounds great.  Im not to keen of Franks or Tobasco on its own either except for on pizza. A few dabs on the pizza and a bunch on the crust.

If you disappear we'll know it was because the karma wings got the best of you :lol:

Karma is pretty hot, but it's also a really good sauce. But it's about the maximum heat level I can normally handle. I can see why it seems to be the 'turning point' sauce in this season of hot ones tho :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

On January 27, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Karma is pretty hot, but it's also a really good sauce. But it's about the maximum heat level I can normally handle. I can see why it seems to be the 'turning point' sauce in this season of hot ones tho :lol:

Thanks for letting me know.  I get the sense that you can go hotter then me, but I'm still tempted to order some.  I'll just treat it as my own Last Dab :lol:

5 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I get the sense that you can go hotter then me, but I'm still tempted to order some.  I'll just treat it as my own Last Dab :lol:

I mixed a little bit into pasta sauce when I made ravioli yesterday, and a couple people came over so I told them about the sauces, and told them to just smell Karma. They just asked "why do you do this to yourself?" :lol:

I can handle more heat than most people I know, but most people I know don't like heat :lol: I'm not a fan of crazy hot spices or anything but I like some burn, and Karma will definitely leave your mouth burning a bit. For example, I could eat a dozen wings with the Hot Ones sauce on them but I wouldn't want more than 6-8 wings with Karma sauce. (If you're wondering, my method for wings is to cook the [unseasoned] wings for about 10-15 minutes, flip them and put 4 or 5 drops of sauce on each wing, 10-15 minutes later flip and add sauce to the other side, cook until they're done then put them in a bowl and add more sauce.) If you end up trying it, be cautious :lol:

You know I wanna hear the recipe! :lol: Thanks.  If I wanted to reduce the heat, would you suggest reducing the dabs while cooking and tossing as much, reducing ever step, or what?  Ill be cautious and ramp up until I ask myself "Why do you do this to yourself?"  hahaha!  Im gonna order some Karma.

Even though I love Arrabbiata sauce Id never thought to add hot sauce to pasta sauce. I love it.  Gonna do the same.

Im often at the higher end on the heat scale with my friends, all who like at least a little heat.  Maybe not all of them via hot sauce, but in curries and wasabi.  They like when I toss my ultra hot horseradish with sauerkraut and pickled hungarian peppers for a topping.  But theres something unique about hot sauces that I love. 

• Like 1

Bannock Pizza.

AUh6x4vh.jpg    f7a3kkQh.jpg   xdTmvIvh.jpg

This was great!  Bannock rises a lot so its a tall crust, but not thick.  Bannock gets a pleasing crusty outside and a very fluffy inside.  To me it still ate like a pizza.  Had a dipping sauce and sriracha ready to eat with it and didnt touch it, it was that good.  The dough is so fast and easy to make.  In the time it takes for oven to preheat you will have dough ready and toppings prepped.

Toppings:

Primavera Tomato Sauce

Sharp Cheddar

Cooking Onion

Cremini Mushroom

Italian Sausage, cooked, removed from casing and chopped

Pickled Hungarian Wax Pepper

Bannock (I cut this recipe it by 2/3rds):

2 Cups AP Flour

2 Tbsp Baking Powder

292ml Warm Milk

20ml Vegetable Oil (in Canada and US: 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp)

Mix with handle of wooden spoon, dont over mix.  Lightly grease 9 inch cast Iron skillet.  Takes about 3/4 + of dough to fill.  Try and make crust higher, but it wont mater much.  Cook in preheated oven at 400 for 10 minutes, remove and add all toppings, cook an additional 20 minutes.  Remove and keep in skillet to let it set up a bit, then use fish spatula to transfer to drying rack.  Let cool, eat while still hot.

I plan to cook the remaining dough and eat as scones (what wedges of bannock are called) with strained yogurt spread.

Edited by soon

On 1/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, soon said:

You know I wanna hear the recipe! :lol: Thanks.  If I wanted to reduce the heat, would you suggest reducing the dabs while cooking and tossing as much, reducing ever step, or what?  Ill be cautious and ramp up until I ask myself "Why do you do this to yourself?"  hahaha!  Im gonna order some Karma.

Even though I love Arrabbiata sauce Id never thought to add hot sauce to pasta sauce. I love it.  Gonna do the same.

Im often at the higher end on the heat scale with my friends, all who like at least a little heat.  Maybe not all of them via hot sauce, but in curries and wasabi.  They like when I toss my ultra hot horseradish with sauerkraut and pickled hungarian peppers for a topping.  But theres something unique about hot sauces that I love. 

Yea, just reduce each step and they won't be as hot. You'll get a good idea of the heat just by smelling it, but it's a bit of a creeper too, so it might be a good idea to start weak and add sauce as needed :lol: I thought it was really good mixed into pasta sauce, other than on wings once in a while I think this will be a 'mixer' sauce, I'll probably add some to salsa next time I make breakfast hash for example.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, just reduce each step and they won't be as hot. You'll get a good idea of the heat just by smelling it, but it's a bit of a creeper too, so it might be a good idea to start weak and add sauce as needed :lol: I thought it was really good mixed into pasta sauce, other than on wings once in a while I think this will be a 'mixer' sauce, I'll probably add some to salsa next time I make breakfast hash for example.

You eat hot sauce for breakfast?!  Shit man. I though people just said that as a figure of speech! :lol:

I just finished off my home made hot sauce - which was a hot salsa gone wrong that I transformed.  It was really good.  So perfect time to get my hands on some new stuff.  Im gonna go real easy with this one, for sure - new territory by the sounds of it.  :headbang:

I like to make red pepper jelly and you got me thinking to mix some Karma into a batch.  I usually eat it on a cracker with strained yogurt /cream cheese so there will be a built in counter balance with the yogurt, at least. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

You eat hot sauce for breakfast?!  Shit man. I though people just said that as a figure of speech! :lol:

I just finished off my home made hot sauce - which was a hot salsa gone wrong that I transformed.  It was really good.  So perfect time to get my hands on some new stuff.  Im gonna go real easy with this one, for sure - new territory by the sounds of it.  :headbang:

I like to make red pepper jelly and you got me thinking to mix some Karma into a batch.  I usually eat it on a cracker with strained yogurt /cream cheese so there will be a built in counter balance with the yogurt, at least. 

I usually eat it for dinner actually :lol: but it's technically a breakfast food - eggs, pan fries, bacon, chorizo, salsa(with hot sauce), and green onion.

Good luck with Karma, post a review when you make wings! :lol:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Me and a co-worker got some wings for lunch and finally tried The Last Dab... we only had some fair-sized dabs, didn't coat the wings in sauce but I kinda wish I did. It definitely had some burn but could've been hotter honestly. Seemed to hit my co-worker harder tho :lol:

Idk, sounds a bit sadistic! Did they claim to be a hot sauce person?  :lol:

But good on you, man.  Doing the dreaded Last Dab at lunch on a work day is ballsy.  

2 hours ago, soon said:

Idk, sounds a bit sadistic! Did they claim to be a hot sauce person?  :lol:

But good on you, man.  Doing the dreaded Last Dab at lunch on a work day is ballsy.  

Yea, he was excited to try it, but he got the sweats and mouth-fire pretty quickly :lol:

Honestly if you can handle some karma wings, you can handle a dab or two.... we each had 4 dabs tho :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, he was excited to try it, but he got the sweats and mouth-fire pretty quickly :lol:

Honestly if you can handle some karma wings, you can handle a dab or two.... we each had 4 dabs tho :lol: 

..and he spent the rest of the day staring hazy-brained at the computer screen and taking multiple, extended trips to the washroom :lol:

Still to be determined if I can handle the Karma.  4 dabs, dang it!  Does it have any flavour profile?

4 hours ago, soon said:

..and he spent the rest of the day staring hazy-brained at the computer screen and taking multiple, extended trips to the washroom :lol:

Still to be determined if I can handle the Karma.  4 dabs, dang it!  Does it have any flavour profile?

Haha we work construction, and took a late lunch so if needed, we'd both (hopefully) be home when the bathrooms were needed. It didn't really effect me though, I'm not sure what that says about me, I've built up a tolerance I guess :lol:

There's sort of a mustard-y taste, but it's mostly just heat... :lol: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...