The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

soon's Famous Ham and Cheetoes Hors D'oeuvres

This recipe seems perfect considering some of the recent themes in this thread:

Ingredients:

- Cheetoes Cheese Puffs

- Black Forest Deli Ham

- Hot Sauce of Choice, preferably with some body and viscosity.

Optional: dipping sauce.

Directions:

Take slice of black forest ham and place on open palm.  Dab with some hot sauce at least three dabs across the whole slice. Place one cheesy at bottom of ham slice, matching the curves of cheesy and ham as much as possible.  Fold ham over cheesy once or twice depending on size of slice.  Hot sauce will bind it. Take second cheesy and continue folding.

Optional: Fold in manner that has both cheesies at one side of the wrap, creating a spoon/scoop out of rolled ham at other end.  Use that to scoop up something tasty!

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2018 at 11:06 AM, soon said:

Watched the Hot Ones with John Mayer just to see him suffer.  I was let down.  He did not suffer enough.

I wouldn't talk shit about him except that he is ruining the Dead's legacy. :lol:

The 'Scorpion pepper edition' of the Last Dab is better than the original version, IMO... if you were wondering :lol: (I've never tried the Carolina Reaper edition, or Caronlina Reapers in any form actually, and I'm not in any hurry to try them....)

They need to make bigger bottles of the chipotle Hot Ones sauce, it's really good but there's just not enough of it...

Edited by Gordon Comstock

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The 'Scorpion pepper edition' of the Last Dab is better than the original version, IMO... if you were wondering :lol: (I've never tried the Carolina Reaper edition, or Caronlina Reapers in any form actually, and I'm not in any hurry to try them....)

They need to make bigger bottles of the chipotle Hot Ones sauce, it's really good but there's just not enough of it...

Ill have to try all of these.  Im planning to analyze my soil this year and choose a super hot pepper to grow that suits it next year.  I forget which type Mayer had, but he handled it fine, which sucks.

Do you have any thoughts on if and when to refrigerate hot sauces?  Im thinking professionally made vinegar-based stays out and non-vinegar based go in?

9 hours ago, soon said:

Ill have to try all of these.  Im planning to analyze my soil this year and choose a super hot pepper to grow that suits it next year.  I forget which type Mayer had, but he handled it fine, which sucks.

Do you have any thoughts on if and when to refrigerate hot sauces?  Im thinking professionally made vinegar-based stays out and non-vinegar based go in?

Basically all my hot sauces end up in the fridge, I might leave a bottle of sriracha on the counter but I don't have a lot of vinegar-based sauces, I like thicker or paste/mash style sauces the most.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Technically it's a double bacon cheeseburger in glazed donuts. :lol:

Solm.gif

If I had a terminal illness, I might try it. Therefore it can’t reduce my life expectancy, and eating it will only lead to regret and disappointment, so much that the prospect of departing this life won’t be something to be scared of.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

If I had a terminal illness, I might try it. Therefore it can’t reduce my life expectancy, and eating it will only lead to regret and disappointment, so much that the prospect of departing this life won’t be something to be scared of.

Then perhaps try another American classic - fried chicken and waffles. I think the gravy is optional :lol:

On the topic of burgers tho... how does everyone make theirs? I made a good spicy cheeseburger today with: lean ground beef, a little bit of salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, a couple pinches of minced garlic, a little bit of Worcestershire sauce, and a Mexican hot sauce that my parents brought me called Tepicor Xxxxxtra Hot. Cook it in the oven, then add jalapeno cheese, and base sauce (mayo, sriracha, and pepper relish), dijon mustard and a bit of ketchup on a kaiser bun.

• Like 1

My burgers arent too exciting.  I make a meat mixture base that then gets split up into three with various other ingredients added to make either burger, meat loaf or Italian meatballs.  Burger kinda gets the short end of the stick, but is still tasty.

The base mixture is grass fed ground beef (not sure the fat content, but they tend to be leaner since they walk around), little bit of salt, fresh black pepper, touch of cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, purred red onion, bread crumbs soaked in milk for 20 minutes (keeps burger super moist and also the lactic acid is a meat tenderizer) and one egg per pound of beef.

The burger portion just gets a bunch more black pepper and either soy sauce of maple smoked sea salt.  Cooked with outside heavily seasoned with salt and lots of course black pepper in cast iron skillet, flipped then into oven.  At end of cook I add garden salsa onto patty and cover with either homemade American cheese or frozen sliced cheddar, drop in a splash of water and cover with lid to steam the cheese.  Always topped with ketchup, usually mustard, sometimes mix of mayo mustard and diced onion.  Lately adding more salsa, which has a hint of cumin, cilantro and jalapeño.  Always pour the pan juice right over the cheese.  Or sometimes just plain patty with peanut butter and jam.  Fluffy hamburger bun, cut open and buttered inside, placed buttered side up under broiler until its browned but rest of bun is still soft.

And for other American food; Im hoping some Americans will bring forward some recipes too, I really like their food.  I make a shrimp and grits.  A creamy, cheddar and sage grits with a blackened shrimp glazed in honey/sriracha. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Happy May 2-4 to all the Canadians!

Yay, happy May 2-4! You know, I didn't realize our American friends didn't know what this expression meant, they have never used it! I guess I just assumed everyone did :lol:

I am a little loathe to admit I don't even have my bbq ready yet..and I only just cut the grass for the first time this year today! So it's been more of a "holy shit I've got all this yardwork and stuff to do in one day" as opposed to relaxing with bbq and drinks :lol: Well, I did have one lemon shandy, very tasty! What about you Soon?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Yay, happy May 2-4! You know, I didn't realize our American friends didn't know what this expression meant, they have never used it! I guess I just assumed everyone did :lol:

I am a little loathe to admit I don't even have my bbq ready yet..and I only just cut the grass for the first time this year today! So it's been more of a "holy shit I've got all this yardwork and stuff to do in one day" as opposed to relaxing with bbq and drinks :lol: Well, I did have one lemon shandy, very tasty! What about you Soon?

Thanks!  I guess it is a very Canadian term, eh?  Like a Bob and Doug kinda thing :lol:

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Im squarely focused on getting my garden growing. So my dogs are barking from the work I've done this week and today Im just rotating my first round of tomato and pepper plants to the balcony for their first bit of hardening off. Cleaning off tools, planning lay out and all that stuff.  I've got "Down On The Farm" in mind now "drinkin' lemonade shandy, theres nobody here to do me harm!" :lol: Enjoy! :headbang:

Beer with homemade spaghetti and meatballs in marinara for me, but its from the freezer.  Except the beer; its form Denmark.

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, soon said:

Happy May 2-4 to all the Canadians!  @Whiskey Rose @Drakestar @Gordon Comstock and anyone who cooks that I'm forgetting in the moment; are you doing any food and beverage for the holiday?

Thanks...plus the 24th is my birthday! We're going camping tonight, so tomorrow I'm doing a slow small pork shoulder in the cast iron dutch oven, red beans & rice and maybe some coleslaw. The weather on the Victoria Day weekend wasn't good, but this weekend is looking much better!

• GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, Drakestar said:

Thanks...plus the 24th is my birthday! We're going camping tonight, so tomorrow I'm doing a slow small pork shoulder in the cast iron dutch oven, red beans & rice and maybe some coleslaw. The weather on the Victoria Day weekend wasn't good, but this weekend is looking much better!

Happy birthday!  Hope you have a great day and camping trip!

That food sounds delicious, especially prepared like that.  I really wanna do that now. That is living done right!

• Thanks 1

Today I went to the Mexican deli in Glasgow, where I was able to source proper tortillas de maiz and frijoles refritos, and tonight I made one of my favourite dishes, Chilaquiles Colimotes; a variation on the classic breakfast dish that can be found all over MX, specific to Colima, the state where I lived.

You'll need (for one portion):

Corn Tortillas (4)

Egg (1)

Tomatoes (2)

Refried beans

Sour Cream

Avocado

Cut the tortillas into strips and then cut the strips again, basically make four cuts across the tortillas in either direction, so you've cut them into small, roughly even bits. Beat the egg. Cook the tomatoes and then fire them in a blender. Heat up the refried beans in a pot on a low heat.

Heat up a pan and fry the tortillas in oil until they're golden and crunchy, then pour the beaten egg over them and stir it in quickly so that it coat sthe hardened tortilla pieces. Wait until the egg goes slightly golden, then add a pinch of salt before pouring the pureed tomatoes over the mixture. Stir until everything is bubbling away, then turn off the heat.

Dish up the chilaquiles onto a plate and put a dollop of sour cream and a slice of avocado on top, have a portion of refried beans on the side. Another good accompaniment is bread to mop up with. 

Here is me with my chilaquiles (I didn't have any avocado this time, but I will rectify that this weekend).

IMAG3441_1.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Finally found a good place in town to get hot sauces, so I grabbed a few more from 'Hot Ones' - Secret Aardvark habanero, Bravado ghost pepper & blueberry, and... Blair's mega death sauce w/ liquid rage. :lol:

I saw the season 6 sauce roll out and thought you'd be adding to your collection! :lol: But these are all ones already there, right? So, more to come? Theres another Ontario based one for season 6, from Thunder bay I think. Is Ontario a hot sauce place?

Why oh why would you get Blairs mega death sauce with liquid rage?!?!?!?! Nobody has had anything positive to say about it. Thats the most likely to turn a guest hostile :o Have you dared to try it already?