The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think poached eggs you crack the egg and cook it in an egg cup or by itself in simmering water with vinegar added sometimes to keep the whites from floating away :P  a soft boiled egg you cook like a hard boiled egg but for a lot less time. :) 

:) I just meant the final product looked similar to me

• Like 1

A poached egg resembles a fried egg, usually placed on toast or with toast placed around it, i.e., an egg that has been cracked out of its shell before the cooking stage. A soft boiled egg is cooked in its shell and still has the shell when presented and is placed in an egg cup and has the top cracked off (usually with a knife or teaspoon). You use toast sliced finely to dip into the yolk. We call them ''dippy soldiers'' haha.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A poached egg resembles a fried egg, usually placed on toast or with toast placed around it, i.e., an egg that has been cracked out of its shell before the cooking stage. A soft boiled egg is cooked in its shell and still has the shell when presented and is placed in an egg cup and has the top cracked off (usually with a knife or teaspoon). You use toast sliced finely to dip into the yolk. We call them ''dippy soldiers'' haha.

i have never had a poached egg. my mom had these old tin cups she'd break the eggs into and they'd float on the simmering water til they were done :) i have had a very nice eggs benedict at a brunch!

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i have never had a poached egg. my mom had these old tin cups she'd break the eggs into and they'd float on the simmering water til they were done :) i have had a very nice eggs benedict at a brunch!

I think that would be a poached egg. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think that would be a poached egg. 

yes they were but i was a kid and wanted no part of those! she made me either cinnamon toast ( mmmm my fave ) or fried or scrambled eggs. it has only been the last years i have had soft boiled eggs. i was on a hard boiled egg kick and one came out with the yold kinda soft and runny and i LOVED it! i made hard boiled eggs from then on. the only poached eggs i have had are at said brunch. very nice, the hollandaise was excellent :)

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Remove about three-four table spoons of liquid to a little dish and mix in about a table spoon of cornflour until it is amalgamated into a thickening agent. Mix it well in the pan and finish off cooking process.

One tbs of corn flower sounds a bit much for 150mL of liquid. How tick do you want the sauce to be in the end?

Also when you add the cornflower to the liquid, is it still hot? And if so does it not clump up? I was always taught to mix cold water and cornflower in a 1:1 ratio to a slurry that can then be added as a thickening agent...

12 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i have never had a poached egg. my mom had these old tin cups she'd break the eggs into and they'd float on the simmering water til they were done

Don't know it technically that can be called poached or not since I'm assuming that the egg was not in direct contact with the water. Perhaps a "steamed" egg? Kinda reminds me of oeufs en cocotte but those are usually baked.

Edited by KiraMPD

30 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

One tbs of corn flower sounds a bit much for 150mL of liquid. How tick do you want the sauce to be in the end?

Also when you add the cornflower to the liquid, is it still hot? And if so does it not clump up? I was always taught to mix cold water and cornflower in a 1:1 ratio to a slurry that can then be added as a thickening agent...

It would certainly clump up if you added it direct to the pan (made that mistake back when I began cooking!). All I'm doing differently to what I have bolded is I'm removing a few spoonfuls of sauce from the pan instead of using new water. You can do it either way I suppose. I just have a preference/habit from using the extent liquid.

It should be of the consistency of a typical 'Chinese' sauce which is - how can I explain? - in terms of thickness, at some point directly in between pure water and paint haha (that is the best way I can put it!). Egg Flower Soup is a good example of the consistency. But by all means just add a bit at a time and use a bit of trial and error. I usually take the pan momentarily off the hob, have the cornflour near by and get the sauce to the exact consistency that I desire - it might take two attempts. It is not an exact science, and is a bit of a preference really.

Worst case scenario is thickening it too much in which case you can always add a touch more stock.

5 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

Don't know it technically that can be called poached or not since I'm assuming that the egg was not in direct contact with the water. Perhaps a "steamed" egg? Kinda reminds me of oeufs en cocotte but those are usually baked.

we're from the South, they were called "poached" :P when she lost the cups in a move she put the eggs directly in the water with vinegar in it to keep the whites from spreading out.

10 hours ago, wasted said:

Eggs benedict is just poached egg with hollandsise on toast? I always order it in hotels but want to make it in my hovel. 

there's a buttered  english muffin involved, either canadian bacon, regular bacon or ham topped by the poached eggs and hollandaise :)

10 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there's a buttered  english muffin involved, either canadian bacon, regular bacon or ham topped by the poached eggs and hollandaise :)

I think you will have call Gordon Ramsey because I can't see how this is going to be possible. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think you will have call Gordon Ramsey because I can't see how this is going to be possible. 

you toast the sides of the separated buttered english muffin, you add the canadian bacon, or bacon or ham, you place a poached egg on both sides then you add the wonderful hollandaise you've whipped up atop both sides. voila! salt and pepper to taste :P

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you toast the sides of the separated buttered english muffin, you add the canadian bacon, or bacon or ham, you place a poached egg on both sides then you add the wonderful hollandaise you've whipped up atop both sides. voila! salt and pepper to taste :P

How do you make hollandaise? 

14 hours ago, wasted said:

Ingredients

3  large eggs

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup firm butter 

In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, vigorously stir egg yolks and lemon juice with wire whisk. Add 1/4 cup of the butter. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until butter is melted.

Add remaining 1/4 cup butter. Continue stirring vigorously until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. (Be sure butter melts slowly so eggs have time to cook and thicken sauce without curdling.) If the sauce curdles (mixture begins to separate), add about 1 tablespoon boiling water and beat vigorously with wire whisk or hand beater until it's smooth.

Serve immediately. Store covered in refrigerator. To serve refrigerated sauce, reheat over very low heat and stir in a small amount of water.

there you go! :)

15 hours ago, wasted said:

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Ingredients

3  large eggs

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup firm butter 

In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, vigorously stir egg yolks and lemon juice with wire whisk. Add 1/4 cup of the butter. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until butter is melted.

Add remaining 1/4 cup butter. Continue stirring vigorously until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. (Be sure butter melts slowly so eggs have time to cook and thicken sauce without curdling.) If the sauce curdles (mixture begins to separate), add about 1 tablespoon boiling water and beat vigorously with wire whisk or hand beater until it's smooth.

Serve immediately. Store covered in refrigerator. To serve refrigerated sauce, reheat over very low heat and stir in a small amount of water.

there you go! :)

I've tried a handful of times and never been able to make hollandaise.  I've tried hacks, I've tried cheats.  I've tried using submersion blender.  I fail each time.  And I love the stuff.  I went out to Eggspectation and had classic Benny and ordered an extra side of hollandaise.  Later it was noted that parts of my chest hair, visible in my tank top, were yellow.  I really, really like hollandaise. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I've tried a handful of times and never been able to make hollandaise.  I've tried hacks, I've tried cheats.  I've tried using submersion blender.  I fail each time.  And I love the stuff.  I went out to Eggspectation and had classic Benny and ordered an extra side of hollandaise.  Later it was noted that parts of my chest hair, visible in my tank top, were yellow.  I really, really like hollandaise. :) 

have you tried a microwave version? sometimes when i fail at something ( like pralines ) i find a microwave version recipes. now i make killer pralines, when i serve them at Christmas gatherings i always get asked for the recipe ( she says modestly :P )

39 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

have you tried a microwave version? sometimes when i fail at something ( like pralines ) i find a microwave version recipes. now i make killer pralines, when i serve them at Christmas gatherings i always get asked for the recipe ( she says modestly :P )

No, I didnt know there was a microwave version. But i dont have a micro wave anyways. 

Microwave pralines too?  Never woulda thought!

Just now, soon said:

No, I didnt know there was a microwave version. But i dont have a micro wave anyways. 

Microwave pralines too?  Never woulda thought!

it's so easy cos there is no candy thermometer needed! you just need to stir them for about 15 minutes straight after cooking the brown sugar, butter and nuts in! still have not had the courage to try the divinity and i would so love that. my mom made the best divinity...i have bought it from high scale candy places and theirs comes no where close to hers!

probably better not to have a microwave but it comes in handy for me sometimes...

• Like 1