The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I could see it. Cheese isn't that popular in the UK or China. like Blue cheese has a bad rap. I could break the carb thing for a wheel of camembert and french stick. Suppose just eat the cheese. I think you'd need wine and then it's just a french cafe or something. But cheese plates with varieties of cheese. Delivery cheese. I have a feeling people don't see cheese as a meal like I do. 

i have heard for many years that Chinese don't use cheese a lot but never knew about the UK. i know we have talked of this before but i adore cambozola cheese. blue cheese makes me sick. sometimes when i am in a hurry i buy a salad from Whole Foods and the one i like is their Cobb salad but i have to pick all the blue cheese out before i can eat it. so most of the time i will just grab a chef salad.

i also love cheese and fruit. especially grapes. raspberries are low carb but never had them with cheese. 

oh good to see the pork didn't do you in! :P 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

56 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i love cheese with gherkins! makes a quick bite to eat when i am not up for a meal. but i also have been known to just eat plain ole cheese. i have been on a hot pepper jack cheese. 

my dad, bless his heart, ate Longhorn cheese all his life. he loved it and i don't think we ever had another kind of cheese in the house growing up :P

Me too, but if all else fails a pile of cheese is still divine.  Its actually the only time I like gherkins, but the combo is just perfect.  I have to see if Pepper Jack is available around here and try it.  

I didnt know Longhorn so I looked it up, is it also colby?  I grew up on colby too!!

1 minute ago, soon said:

Me too, but if all else fails a pile of cheese is still divine.  Its actually the only time I like gherkins, but the combo is just perfect.  I have to see if Pepper Jack is available around here and try it.  

I didnt know Longhorn so I looked it up, is it also colby?  I grew up on colby too!!

i always thought it was cheddar cos of the color but yes it's colby :) i remember grilled cheese sandwiches with Longhorn cheese and homemade tomato soup when i was sick...i still do that when i get sick though with different cheeses. whatever i have handy!

19 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i always thought it was cheddar cos of the color but yes it's colby :) i remember grilled cheese sandwiches with Longhorn cheese and homemade tomato soup when i was sick...i still do that when i get sick though with different cheeses. whatever i have handy!

I miss colby, I should get some.  I have that exact same memory, really hit the spot when sick!  I have a memory of being very young and introduced to another little boy named Colby and I simply could not wrap my he'd around a boy named after cheese :lol:

7 hours ago, soon said:

I'e had some amazing cheese from UK so I didnt realize they weren't so popular.   Delivery cheese, yes!  I see it as a meal even with out the gherkins or mustard.

People eat cheese but it's mainly cheddar, double gloucester, milder  stuff like edam, brie seems popular, maybe blue like Stilton. But as a meal or breakfast not really. Sandwiches, ploughman's lunch. I can't see them ordering plates of cheese like pizzas. But maybe if was an option. But definitely people cheese, I knew a guy who made his own cheese and won a competite like best cheddar in the uk. I'm thinking McCheese. A fast food chain that mainly sells cheese. Maybe. At the moment it seema more like an option on a menu. 

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i have heard for many years that Chinese don't use cheese a lot but never knew about the UK. i know we have talked of this before but i adore cambozola cheese. blue cheese makes me sick. sometimes when i am in a hurry i buy a salad from Whole Foods and the one i like is their Cobb salad but i have to pick all the blue cheese out before i can eat it. so most of the time i will just grab a chef salad.

i also love cheese and fruit. especially grapes. raspberries are low carb but never had them with cheese. 

oh good to see the pork didn't do you in! :P 

I'm alive!

UK eat quite a lot cheese but just not as a meal. Chinese not really, but it's growing, I think they wonder what it is for and see it as making you fat. Kraft slices/President seem popular for kids, cheese seems a bit expensive here. So for 4 dollars you can get some cheddar or meal deal bowl of noodles. More and more is being imported, along with wine. It's not a staple at all, it's seen as a luxury product. Lianhua doesn't have much of a selection. Yogurt though is really popular, drinking yogurt especially. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I'm alive!

UK eat quite a lot cheese but just not as a meal. Chinese not really, but it's growing, I think they wonder what it is for and see it as making you fat. Kraft slices/President seem popular for kids, cheese seems a bit expensive here. So for 4 dollars you can get some cheddar or meal deal bowl of noodles. More and more is being imported, along with wine. It's not a staple at all, it's seen as a luxury product. Lianhua doesn't have much of a selection. Yogurt though is really popular, drinking yogurt especially. 

yay you're alive! 

btw if you are really wanting to cut back carbs have you ever tried lettuce wraps? just put your proteins and low carb veggies and use the lettuce as a cup instead of using bread. it really is tasty imo :)

44 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yay you're alive! 

btw if you are really wanting to cut back carbs have you ever tried lettuce wraps? just put your proteins and low carb veggies and use the lettuce as a cup instead of using bread. it really is tasty imo :)

I do that quite a bit with korean thin slices. Basically I just go meat and iceberg at dinner. I should eat more vegetables though. I like raw carrots which/that I grate and squeeze lemon on. 

I've cut beer way down with the help of Pepsi max and tequila. I heard Coke are cancelling Coke Zero, what are they doing? 

Chinese and japanese do a lot of hot plates of beef or pork with fried egg. I used to think that was gross but it's protein I guess. 

Raw eggs would be best, the less broken down the protein is the longer it keeps you unhungry. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I do that quite a bit with korean thin slices. Basically I just go meat and iceberg at dinner. I should eat more vegetables though. I like raw carrots which/that I grate and squeeze lemon on. 

I've cut beer way down with the help of Pepsi max and tequila. I heard Coke are cancelling Coke Zero, what are they doing? 

Chinese and japanese do a lot of hot plates of beef or pork with fried egg. I used to think that was gross but it's protein I guess. 

Raw eggs would be best, the less broken down the protein is the longer it keeps you unhungry. 

i heard that all soda is on a sever down swing. people are realizing soda is unhealthy and drinking more water ( bottled of course. )

mmmmm beef with a fried egg on top sounds good. i do an enchilada stack and i think next time i do it i will add some fried eggs.

i had a dr's appointment and it was so hot i couldn't even face cooking so i got a couple of Jack in the Box tacos :P Axl can keep his Taco Bell!:awesomeface:

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i heard that all soda is on a sever down swing. people are realizing soda is unhealthy and drinking more water ( bottled of course. )

mmmmm beef with a fried egg on top sounds good. i do an enchilada stack and i think next time i do it i will add some fried eggs.

i had a dr's appointment and it was so hot i couldn't even face cooking so i got a couple of Jack in the Box tacos :P Axl can keep his Taco Bell!:awesomeface:

They can't take soda away from me. I'll get a sodastream. 

I keep thinking a shell-less taco could be my way. I did that early on in the carbless nightmare. Jalepenos and mince. Choose life. Choose no carbs. Choose no soda. Choose your future. Choose life. Anyway it amused us at the time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

They can't take soda away from me. I'll get a sodastream. 

I keep thinking a shell-less taco could be my way. I did that early on in the carbless nightmare. Jalepenos and mince. Choose life. Choose no carbs. Choose no soda. Choose your future. Choose life. Anyway it amused us at the time. 

yeah i used to put spaghetti meat in lettuce cups, it was pretty good.

17 hours ago, wasted said:

People eat cheese but it's mainly cheddar, double gloucester, milder  stuff like edam, brie seems popular, maybe blue like Stilton. But as a meal or breakfast not really. Sandwiches, ploughman's lunch. I can't see them ordering plates of cheese like pizzas. But maybe if was an option. But definitely people cheese, I knew a guy who made his own cheese and won a competite like best cheddar in the uk. I'm thinking McCheese. A fast food chain that mainly sells cheese. Maybe. At the moment it seema more like an option on a menu. 

Stilton is one of my favourites and I haven't loved too many blues.  I make soft and semi firm cheeses and cheese curds and when I watch youtube to learn to make firm varieties the presenters are very often in UK.

I am all for Mc Cheeses!!!!  

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Stilton is one of my favourites and I haven't loved too many blues.  I make soft and semi firm cheeses and cheese curds and when I watch youtube to learn to make firm varieties the presenters are very often in UK.

I am all for Mc Cheeses!!!!  

see?? you MAKE cheese! you do quite a lot my friend :)

i just bought a ton of sweet red cherries at the market that i was just going to eat out of hand but looking at how much i bought i think i ought to try and make something with them. was thinking of a good old fashioned cherry pie. i hate pitting cherries! think i might have to buy a cherry pitter, i have never had one before. does it really make pitting the cherries easier?

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

see?? you MAKE cheese! you do quite a lot my friend :)

i just bought a ton of sweet red cherries at the market that i was just going to eat out of hand but looking at how much i bought i think i ought to try and make something with them. was thinking of a good old fashioned cherry pie. i hate pitting cherries! think i might have to buy a cherry pitter, i have never had one before. does it really make pitting the cherries easier?

:) I used to be able to do a whole lot more of everything. 

Things like cream cheese, chèvre, faux ricotta, cottage cheese and paneer are really easy.  Do it once and from then on its a breeze.  All of them are the same first step to separate curds and whey just using lemon juice or vinegar.  And then its just a difference to press, strain, ice bath, or blend with cream to make them those different cheeses. With some milk, 1/2 lemon, salt, a little cream and cheese cloth or straining bags you could be done the labour in about 10-15 mins and have all those cheeses!  Some ready to eat and some not quite yet.  Oh, and mix that lemon zest into the chèvre or ricotta!!

Curds are a bit more involved but not much. Its actually beginning to make cheddar and then quitting when the process is about to get really involved :)           

I love cherries in stuff more then eating alone, but they are delicious any way!  Ive never used a cherry pitter. I have used strawberry pitter and its way easier and faster.  leads me to guess a quality cherry pitter would be useful

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow that is impressive! i remember my mom told of how she tried to make cottage cheese once. she said it looked runny so she kept squeezing it til it looked dry....well it came out really dry i guess! she said it was awful :P

*putting cherry pitter on list*

thanks!

Yeah but if one thinks that their homemade cottage cheese is gross, they should just eat some store bought stuff to remind them that its never really that great! :lol:

Fully squeezed cottage cheese is paneer basically!  Paneer gets formed of course, but thats the only difference.  Cottage cheese has some whey kept in.  i like to mix a bit of the whey with splash of cream and salt and pour over curds, until fairly moist.  refrigerate for a while before eating!  Some moisture will be absorbed but some should remain. Its really not impressive.  Your baking is impressive, this is a peasants sustenance.

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Yeah but if one thinks that their homemade cottage cheese is gross, they should just eat some store bought stuff to remind them that its never really that great! :lol:

Fully squeezed cottage cheese is paneer basically!  Paneer gets formed of course, but thats the only difference.  Cottage cheese has some whey kept in.  i like to mix a bit of the whey with splash of cream and salt and pour over curds, until fairly moist.  refrigerate for a while before eating!  Some moisture will be absorbed but some should remain. Its really not impressive.  Your baking is impressive, this is a peasants sustenance.

i love cottage cheese so i am a peasant! i use this stuff called salad seasoning on it and eat it with tomatoes, sometimes a chopped up cucumber. i bet your homemade was much better than the stuff from the store :) 

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i love cottage cheese so i am a peasant! i use this stuff called salad seasoning on it and eat it with tomatoes, sometimes a chopped up cucumber. i bet your homemade was much better than the stuff from the store :) 

ha, Im a peasant too as i like it.  But mainly i meant the simple craft of making it is no culinary marvel.  that salad sounds perfect in the summer heat!  Id say that once someone tries it once and makes any adjustments from lessons learned, theirs would taste better then store bought.  Ive never made a herbed chèvre as good as store bought, thats for sure.

• Like 1

made some lasagna.  wanted to make rolls but forgot that store bought stuff comes in think rectangle not larger squares that are easier to roll.  I realized this mid cook and couldn't clean proper cook ware.  So I made a bunch of various sized layered  lasagnes in whatever things were around; a few ramekins, a glass tupper ware, a muffin tray.  

Was first time using my garden basil and I used two types.  One in sauce pan with chives, oregano and spinach.  Other type I blended raw, along with parsley into cottage cheese.  The blending produced a ver rich texture.

Blended up the greens, mixed with whipped cheese and some additional cottage cheese and parm.  Used the tomato sauce with zucchini and peppers and stuff; is it primavera?  

Round eye steak, sliced, laid over cheesy grits, topped with a generous ladle of salsa verde.  

I took a pic, but it doesnt really present well, least of all on cellphone camera.

Salsa Verde

This is close to if not thee recipe I used to make it. 

Ingredients:

1 pound tomatillos, husked

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 serrano chile peppers, minced

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

2 cups water

Directions:

Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chile pepper into a saucepan. Season with cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt; pour in water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatillos are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.

Using a blender, carefully puree the tomatillos and water in batches until smooth.

Prep 10 m

Cook 15 m

Ready In 25 m

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/94028/tomatillo-salsa-verde/

After my weekend digressions I got 3 rib eyes so back to no carb. I could make that salsa if the chopped tomatoes I ordered show up. Cumin I might have. Cilantro might not happen. 

I might grill the steak. I've got black pepper sauce and chili powder so might do that. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

After my weekend digressions I got 3 rib eyes so back to no carb. I could make that salsa if the chopped tomatoes I ordered show up. Cumin I might have. Cilantro might not happen. 

I might grill the steak. I've got black pepper sauce and chili powder so might do that. 

Grilled steak with some heat on it sounds great!  I think your referring to the salsa verde I posted just above?  It has no tomatoes, its made with tomatillos.  Maybe it just auto corrected, but anyways if you can get your hands on tomatillos its well worth it.  I think its really delicious.  

argh, grocery orders :)