The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah not a fan of  Japanese beers but if were to choose one i'd go Tsingto.

Tsingto? Tsingdao is chinese. Asahi and Kirin are japan I think. Maybe Suntory. Asahi is like heineken in that it lights me up. I prefer Suntory like a lightweight. 

Suntory whiskey and ice is also good on a hot day. I can't get enough ice. 

I just had a bowl of sukiyaki. I should just buy a load from the jap supermarket and make it home. I guess I don't know what sauce to get. It tastes like soy and barbq. 

Well I wasn't trying to win. Or I'm just so far past any point in my life I thought I was winning that sampling various styles of losing feels like an accomplishment. I mean I'm filling out a Asahi coupon. Each day 1 beer and they tick a box. On day 8, 1 free beer! 

This is how you win. Sukiyaki and beer coupons. 

14 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

don't you have facebook? same thing there. the ad bring the sites $$

I dont have Facebook or any of that suff.  But I thought I understood cookies and didnt know they where this invasive.  I thought it was more like when I look at a product on amazon and then those products pop up.  I didnt know I could have a conversation cause pop ups.

I would hope that this forum would have less invasive cookies.

Before on here I cant even remember what I saw much of they were always different other then "Metal Head Dating" site ad which seemed to be generic enough to the forum.

12 hours ago, wasted said:

That is weird but possible, I'm not sure. I can china related pop ups on here. 

Well, I'm no expert, that's why I talk so much! But back when they first started I know they got in on the ground floor. Now I know it's harder for foreigners to own more than one at least recently. What's weird is there's so many so I would think prices would lower? But theres a cabal controlling it. 

I remember trying to buy something for 500k, it's probably now 1 mil. But I remember the mortgage payment would double my rent. But what broke it was the owner wanted me to pay the 50k tax on the sale. So I was out. And he was telling me he bought it for 60k in 2000. So I was basically going to be making him rich and paying 3k a week plus this 50k, not mention deposit or whatever. While rents can be very cheap it seems insane to buy now at 1.5 mil just for 2 bed flat in a good area. I can live in a shithole in the ghetto for free and relax. But newly rich chinese are going all in and moving the relatives in etc. 

I appreciate you granting me this curiosity!  Do you have a sense if most Chinese nationals in Shanghai feel an allegiance towards 'communist' ideals?  And how does that mesh with new wealth in families? 

Any ways I imagine it will be very surreal to in the coming years find your ghost town teaming with millions of people in the upper class.

11 hours ago, wasted said:

I just had a bowl of sukiyaki. I should just buy a load from the jap supermarket and make it home. I guess I don't know what sauce to get. It tastes like soy and barbq. 

Got curious.  Sounds like a really perfect thing to cook at home as long as you have the time and energy of the grocery haul and prep.  You were right about sauce - acids, sugar and soy.

Not sure how similar this recipe is to what you get there

Ingredients

1-2 packages udon

½ head napa cabbage (½ head = about 10 leaves =1.8 oz or 690 g)

½ bunch shungiku (Tong Hao or Garland Chrysanthemum) (½ bunch = 7 oz or 200 g)

1 Tokyo negi (or negi, long onion)

1 package enoki mushrooms

8 shiitake mushrooms (carve decorative shapes)

1 package Yaki Tofu (Broiled Tofu) (1 package = 9 oz or 255 g)

⅓ carrot (for decoration, optional)

1 package shirataki noodles (or cellophane noodles, yam noodles) (1 package = 7 oz or 198 g)

1 Tbsp neutral flavor oil (vegetable, canola, etc)

1 lb thinly sliced beef (chuck or rib eye) (1 lb = 454 g) (or slice your own meat, see Notes)

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1-1.5 cup dashi (to dilute the sauce) (or water)

Sukiyaki Sauce (Yield 2 ⅔ cup)

1 cup sake (1 cup = 240 ml)

1 cup mirin (1 cup = 240 ml)

¼ cup granulated sugar (¼ cup = 60 ml)

1 cup soy sauce (1 cup = 240 ml)

http://www.justonecookbook.com/sukiyaki/

this is my go to easy teriyaki sauce:

1⁄4 cup soy sauce

1 cup water

1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger

1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder

5tablespoons packed brown sugar

1 -2tablespoon honey

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1⁄4 cup cold water

Directions

Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4c water in a sauce pan and begin heating.

Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan.

Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness.

Add water to thin if you over-thick it :)

just an easy, basic recipe for those like me who want to throw together a stir fry on a busy day!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

I appreciate you granting me this curiosity!  Do you have a sense if most Chinese nationals in Shanghai feel an allegiance towards 'communist' ideals?  And how does that mesh with new wealth in families? 

Any ways I imagine it will be very surreal to in the coming years find your ghost town teaming with millions of people in the upper class.

Not sure about ideals but the government yes, as in if you chinese are you happy they yes because their standard of living has gone up for most of them beyond ecpectations. Of course there are poor who can't see it happening but there's oportunities for their children. I don't see so much communist ideals. It's authoritarian capitalism. 

Probably move before it happens, the subway might take two years. Depends if they put up rent. They tend to put it up 2k every 2 years. Still it seems expensive, there's cheaper places. This is conveinent to the japanese area and the park so thats good. 

7 hours ago, soon said:

Got curious.  Sounds like a really perfect thing to cook at home as long as you have the time and energy of the grocery haul and prep.  You were right about sauce - acids, sugar and soy.

Not sure how similar this recipe is to what you get there

Ingredients

1-2 packages udon

½ head napa cabbage (½ head = about 10 leaves =1.8 oz or 690 g)

½ bunch shungiku (Tong Hao or Garland Chrysanthemum) (½ bunch = 7 oz or 200 g)

1 Tokyo negi (or negi, long onion)

1 package enoki mushrooms

8 shiitake mushrooms (carve decorative shapes)

1 package Yaki Tofu (Broiled Tofu) (1 package = 9 oz or 255 g)

⅓ carrot (for decoration, optional)

1 package shirataki noodles (or cellophane noodles, yam noodles) (1 package = 7 oz or 198 g)

1 Tbsp neutral flavor oil (vegetable, canola, etc)

1 lb thinly sliced beef (chuck or rib eye) (1 lb = 454 g) (or slice your own meat, see Notes)

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1-1.5 cup dashi (to dilute the sauce) (or water)

Sukiyaki Sauce (Yield 2 ⅔ cup)

1 cup sake (1 cup = 240 ml)

1 cup mirin (1 cup = 240 ml)

¼ cup granulated sugar (¼ cup = 60 ml)

1 cup soy sauce (1 cup = 240 ml)

http://www.justonecookbook.com/sukiyaki/

I had it at the food court and there was green peppers and bits of mushroom in the onions and beef. I just did beef and mushroom with soy barbq at home. It was 29rmb with miso and rice. But I got a 500g pack of thin beef for 25rmb, it was half price but I can see why people just eat out. In the conveinence store I got sukiyaki beef rice for 16rmb. Obviously you get less beef, but 500g was probably too much. The one in the restaurant tasted better than mine though, Con store version was v salty.

Operation: Sukiyaki.

you can get the udon noodle with beef with curry sauce. That's not the diet option. 

Edited by wasted

8 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is my go to easy teriyaki sauce:

1⁄4 cup soy sauce

1 cup water

1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger

1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder

5tablespoons packed brown sugar

1 -2tablespoon honey

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1⁄4 cup cold water

Directions

Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4c water in a sauce pan and begin heating.

Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan.

Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness.

Add water to thin if you over-thick it :)

just an easy, basic recipe for those like me who want to throw together a stir fry on a busy day!

sounds perfect.  Nice and easy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Not sure about ideals but the government yes, as in if you chinese are you happy they yes because their standard of living has gone up for most of them beyond ecpectations. Of course there are poor who can't see it happening but there's oportunities for their children. I don't see so much communist ideals. It's authoritarian capitalism. 

Probably move before it happens, the subway might take two years. Depends if they put up rent. They tend to put it up 2k every 2 years. Still it seems expensive, there's cheaper places. This is conveinent to the japanese area and the park so thats good. 

Agreed about your description, authoritarian capitalism.  Thought they still used communist language even since reforms though - I guess not.  

Hope your living situation works out how you want it to.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I had it at the food court and there was green peppers and bits of mushroom in the onions and beef. I just did beef and mushroom with soy barbq at home. It was 29rmb with miso and rice. But I got a 500g pack of thin beef for 25rmb, it was half price but I can see why people just eat out. In the conveinence store I got sukiyaki beef rice for 16rmb. Obviously you get less beef, but 500g was probably too much. The one in the restaurant tasted better than mine though, Con store version was v salty.

Operation: Sukiyaki.

you can get the udon noodle with beef with curry sauce. That's not the diet option. 

your version sounds great!  I didn't wanna tackle the one I found online, but will definitely try out yours. Love udon and haven't had in ages, so will do that too.  

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it really is! especially for a stir fry, or if am feeling lazy just tossed with some noodles :) also good on baked chicken as a "fake" teriyaki ;)

to many Im sure it wouldn't even count as "fake"

This thread always does, but I am so extra hungry right now! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Agreed about your description, authoritarian capitalism.  Thought they still used communist language even since reforms though - I guess not.  

Hope your living situation works out how you want it to.

I think they do still use some of language. I always think of communism as everyone gets the same pay, everything is state owned. Not sure if that is true anymore but they take a cut. I think and the property goes back to state after 99 years or something. So buy and sell, buy and sell I guess. Like Duff said you can't take the money with you. 

15 hours ago, wasted said:

Like Duff said you can't take the money with you. 

you leave it to your kids! :lol:

this old school recipe is still one of the best desserts i have ever had. 

Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1⁄2 cup butter

1 cup pecans, finely chopped ( i prefer walnuts and more of a rough chop )

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

8 ounces whipped topping, thawed

1 cup powdered sugar

4 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix ( the chocolate fudge flavor is yummy )

4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix

3 cups milk

1 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, grated

Directions

For the crust, mix flour, butter and nuts until crumbly, press into 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

Cool completely.

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar on high with a mixer until smooth.

Fold in half the whipped topping.

Spread over cooled crust.

Mix the puddings with milk, beat slowly with mixer until smooth (2 minutes).

Spread on top of cheese layer.

Let stand a few minutes, then spoon remaining whipped topping over top and spread carefully.

Sprinkle with grated milk chocolate bar.

Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve

this makes a LOT, would be great for having people over for dinner, for potlucks, picnics (make sure it is kept cool though! )

enjoy :)

21 hours ago, wasted said:

I think they do still use some of language. I always think of communism as everyone gets the same pay, everything is state owned. Not sure if that is true anymore but they take a cut. I think and the property goes back to state after 99 years or something. So buy and sell, buy and sell I guess. Like Duff said you can't take the money with you. 

I agree abut definition, for sure (even if thats not how state communism has pled out in history).  

The property goes back to the state and is then sold back out at free market value?  Thats not a bad deal for those in power!

Big  wheel keeps on turning 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I agree abut definition, for sure (even if thats not how state communism has pled out in history).  

The property goes back to the state and is then sold back out at free market value?  Thats not a bad deal for those in power!

Big  wheel keeps on turning 

What might happen is they keep the good buildings that become heritage sites but like along our road they suddenly decided to knock the buildings down and either start new projects, looks like it might be a park area. Maybe property management companies will buy it off you cheap if you are the last owner. Lease hold moght be the term? 

To a degree though the gov does put money back into the system. Awesome cheap public transport, awesome roads, public toilets are solid. Great well maintained parks, museums. Cheap food, restaurants, free schools, health care. 

Ive known a few people from China who's parents sent them here as soon as they were old enough to have more prosperity and freedom, sounds like the reforms have really turned things around.  Great to hear!  

Are religious freedoms expanding as well?

Those lease holds sound like they have lots of pros and cons?

• Like 1

ON topic :P

had a lovely shrimp scampi spaghetti for dinner. tonight is a no cooking night...going to a wedding reception and since i am pretty good friends with the bride she said don't eat today, we will have tons of awesome food! idk if she will appreciate it if i bring a large plastic zip lock baggies for leftovers :lol:

2 hours ago, soon said:

Ive known a few people from China who's parents sent them here as soon as they were old enough to have more prosperity and freedom, sounds like the reforms have really turned things around.  Great to hear!  

Are religious freedoms expanding as well?

Those lease holds sound like they have lots of pros and cons?

maybe you guys might make a thread about this China stuff? just a suggestion :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On June 9, 2017 at 2:59 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you leave it to your kids! :lol:

this old school recipe is still one of the best desserts i have ever had. 

Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1⁄2 cup butter

1 cup pecans, finely chopped ( i prefer walnuts and more of a rough chop )

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

8 ounces whipped topping, thawed

1 cup powdered sugar

4 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix ( the chocolate fudge flavor is yummy )

4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix

3 cups milk

1 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, grated

Directions

For the crust, mix flour, butter and nuts until crumbly, press into 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

Cool completely.

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar on high with a mixer until smooth.

Fold in half the whipped topping.

Spread over cooled crust.

Mix the puddings with milk, beat slowly with mixer until smooth (2 minutes).

Spread on top of cheese layer.

Let stand a few minutes, then spoon remaining whipped topping over top and spread carefully.

Sprinkle with grated milk chocolate bar.

Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve

this makes a LOT, would be great for having people over for dinner, for potlucks, picnics (make sure it is kept cool though! )

enjoy :)

this sounds incredible!  what kind of chocolate bars do you use?  Like pure chocolate or could yu use a snickers?

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ON topic :P

had a lovely shrimp scampi spaghetti for dinner. tonight is a no cooking night...going to a wedding reception and since i am pretty good friends with the bride she said don't eat today, we will have tons of awesome food! idk if she will appreciate it if i bring a large plastic zip lock baggies for leftovers :lol:

maybe you guys might make a thread about this China stuff? just a suggestion :)

hope the wedding is a wonderful time!!! sea food!!!!! nice

very fair point, got carried away about china in the food thread :) 

• Like 1