The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

1 minute ago, soon said:

this sounds incredible!  what kind of chocolate bars do you use?  Like pure chocolate or could yu use a snickers?

i use high end chocolate like guittard. never tried it with a snickers but that might be really good. i have also have skipped the chocolate and vanilla instant puddings, instead i get one of those lemon puddings you have to cook...not the instant kind ( blech! )  and using a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice along with the water the directions say to use on the back. also have used a pineapple topping. it's basically the pineapple filling i use in my pineapple pie sans crust of course :D 

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i use high end chocolate like guittard. never tried it with a snickers but that might be really good. i have also have skipped the chocolate and vanilla instant puddings, instead i get one of those lemon puddings you have to cook...not the instant kind ( blech! )  and using a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice along with the water the directions say to use on the back. also have used a pineapple topping. it's basically the pineapple filling i use in my pineapple pie sans crust of course :D 

nice!  Thanks for the tips!  I figured it was pure chocolate, but candy bar is a Merican' term so I didnt know if candy meant like something with filling :) 

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

hahahahaha i set myself up for that! :lol:

oh we have chocolate bars here for cooking. and we even have like plain chocolate candy bars like Hershey's bars :)

:lol:

I think its the candy part the tripped me up, round here wed just say Chocolate bar for anything like plain hershey or snickers.  Candy makes me think that the chocolate is covering candy like a turkish delight or something!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

:lol:

I think its the candy part the tripped me up, round here wed just say Chocolate bar for anything like plain hershey or snickers.  Candy makes me think that the chocolate is covering candy like a turkish delight or something!

there is another recipe similar to this i make sometines in autumn....has pumpkin and uses little chunks of heath bar. very Harvesty! :lol:

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

there is another recipe similar to this i make sometines in autumn....has pumpkin and uses little chunks of heath bar. very Harvesty! :lol:

sweet!  Its good to have some sugary treats during all that hard work, thanks!  Ill have to hit you up for specifics at harvest.  As i will rock that garden no matter who tries to mess with my weak self!!!

after a shitty day I decided to treat my self to one of those big frozen mac and cheese with the crusty top from the grocery store.  

was so weird not to cook that I will be making extra cheese sauce and maybe some type of chimichuri to go on the left overs.  I cant help it:  need to cook if I eat at home and am able!

probably cook some chives into cheese sauce and cant one time will have basil and other time cilantro and parsley chimichuri 

5 minutes ago, soon said:

sweet!  Its good to have some sugary treats during all that hard work, thanks!  Ill have to hit you up for specifics at harvest.  As i will rock that garden no matter who tries to mess with my weak self!!!

yes i will be happy to share!

you the man...make that garden your um...never mind! :lol:

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yes i will be happy to share!

you the man...make that garden your um...never mind! :lol:

hahahaha!  me and my garden have a more egalitarian relationship :lol:

I make the soil, she grows the plants

Went a bit mental in the japanese ready prepared section. Party pack of chicken, pork and beef. With prawn crockets and crab legs deshelled. I got a smoked salmon salad as a token gesture to health. Got some weird sesame ice cream and 2 coke zeros to liberate some rum into. 

Edited by wasted

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Went a bit mental in the japanese ready prepared section. Party pack of chicken, pork and beef. With prawn crockets and crab legs deshelled. I got a smoked salmon salad as a token gesture to health. Got some weird sesame ice cream and 2 coke zeros to liberate some rum into. 

Cant really wrap my head around the sesame ice cream, but would try it for sure.  The rest sounds like what I want everyday lately!  

Deshelled crab legs strike me as the height of luxury.  Dont think I've seen that.  Im more of a crab in a bucket

@Gracii Guns lemon drizzle is my favourite ever cake and one that i have actually baked myself [yay me]

Have you ever made muffins? I bought the tray to make them in about 5 years ago but still ain't got round to baking any. I think lemon muffins are the best. Sainsburys used to sell them but

they have stopped.Gutted. 

@AxlsFavoriteRose i bet you've made them.You make everything. Damn you and your cooking wizardry:P

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Gracii Guns lemon drizzle is my favourite ever cake and one that i have actually baked myself [yay me]

Have you ever made muffins? I bought the tray to make them in about 5 years ago but still ain't got round to baking any. I think lemon muffins are the best. Sainsburys used to sell them but

they have stopped.Gutted. 

@AxlsFavoriteRose i bet you've made them.You make everything. Damn you and your cooking wizardry:P

yay @janrichmond for the cake! 

muffins are a breeze, the trick is combine the wet and dry ingredients til they are just mixed. if you over mix them you get those weird ones with the tall pointy tops! :P

last ones i made were churro muffins, so good! and better for you than real churros cos you don't have to deep fry the muffins :) 

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yay @janrichmond for the cake! 

muffins are a breeze, the trick is combine the wet and dry ingredients til they are just mixed. if you over mix them you get those weird ones with the tall pointy tops! :P

last ones i made were churro muffins, so good! and better for you than real churros cos you don't have to deep fry the muffins :) 

whats churro? i want lemon muffins with that gooey lemon curd inside :drool:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soon said:

Cant really wrap my head around the sesame ice cream, but would try it for sure.  The rest sounds like what I want everyday lately!  

Deshelled crab legs strike me as the height of luxury.  Dont think I've seen that.  Im more of a crab in a bucket

It was weird they had frozen crab legs for 17 dolars and 4 deshelled for 1.80. 

Sesame ice cream is okay it's even in conveince stores. Green tea ice cream I don't like much, it has bitter taste or something. I prefer sesame balls, theres hot sesame inside the flour ball. 

The prawn crockets were life threatening. 

Tobasco on eggs. Not a recipe more a lifestyle. 

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

It was weird they had frozen crab legs for 17 dolars and 4 deshelled for 1.80. 

Sesame ice cream is okay it's even in conveince stores. Green tea ice cream I don't like much, it has bitter taste or something. I prefer sesame balls, theres hot sesame inside the flour ball. 

The prawn crockets were life threatening. 

Tobasco on eggs. Not a recipe more a lifestyle. 

oh that is a weird price difference.  even better... hopefully.

Sesame balls I can imagine and they sound great!  Im often tempted to flavour rice with green tea but haven't for some reason, but I did just harvest round two of chamomile and think Ill flavour rice that way.  

And what a glorious way of life it is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

whats churro? i want lemon muffins with that gooey lemon curd inside :drool:

churros are a cylindrical pastry that is deep fried then dipped in cinnamon sugar. they used to be available only like at fairs or some Mexican places but they are really popular so you see them a lot now. the churro muffins take the taste of the churros but no deep drying. the batter has spices like freshly ground nutmeg and when they are still warm you roll the tops in butter then dip in a saucer of cinnamon :P

i have never heard of muffins with lemon curd i side. we have doughnuts like that but filled muffins are not generally found around here :D

1 minute ago, soon said:

Sesame balls I can imagine and they sound great!  Im often tempted to flavour rice with green tea but haven't for some reason, but I did just harvest round two of chamomile and think Ill flavour rice that way.  

i will never crack open a king crab shell ever again! i cannot even count the number of times my tender skin has been pierced doing that if i have to pay twice the amount to get fresh crab meat i gladly do it :)

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i will never crack open a king crab shell ever again! i cannot even count the number of times my tender skin has been pierced doing that if i have to pay twice the amount to get fresh crab meat i gladly do it :)

Ouch, that sucks!  I barely get to have it but when I do I find the cracking it open part very satisfying.

What did you eat at the wedding?  How was it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Ouch, that sucks!  I barely get to have it but when I do I find the cracking it open part very satisfying.

What did you eat at the wedding?  How was it?

oh it was great! we only attended the reception, the actual ceremony was for family and very close friends. they had this long appetizer table with oysters on the half shell, spicy mussels, hollowed out tiny potatoes with creme fraiche and caviar on the top, just TONS of stuff and at the end of the table was a carving station with like half a steer there :P the cake was vanilla with different flavors between the layers; raspberry, lemon, strawberry and was decorated with italian buttercream flowers everywhere. it was very nice, thanks for asking!

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Pilau rice I think you get with indian food. Pineapple fried rice in Thailand is good, it has fruits and raisons, that's in the pineapple shell. Never made that at home. 

I have packets of coconut cream and milk so I'm looking what to do with them. Maybe green curry or korma. I have deboned chicken thighs and peppers. I'm mot very organised. It'll be a hybrid without half the ingredients just throw it in and hope.