The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh it was great! we only attended the reception, the actual ceremony was for family and very close friends. they had this long appetizer table with oysters on the half shell, spicy mussels, hollowed out tiny potatoes with creme fraiche and caviar on the top, just TONS of stuff and at the end of the table was a carving station with like half a steer there :P the cake was vanilla with different flavors between the layers; raspberry, lemon, strawberry and was decorated with italian buttercream flowers everywhere. it was very nice, thanks for asking!

Glad you had a nice time!  The food sounds sooooooo good!!!  Got your caviar fix?

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Pilau rice I think you get with indian food. Pineapple fried rice in Thailand is good, it has fruits and raisons, that's in the pineapple shell. Never made that at home. 

I have packets of coconut cream and milk so I'm looking what to do with them. Maybe green curry or korma. I have deboned chicken thighs and peppers. I'm mot very organised. It'll be a hybrid without half the ingredients just throw it in and hope. 

I neve heard of either and they sound great.  been craving pineapple too.

Something good will come out of any mix of those ingredients!

Ive been ordering delivery groceries and they cant figure out what coconut cream is.  Cant wait for them to figure it out so I can do a coconut curry!!

todays mise en place

hL13dP5l.jpg

Chives with purple flowers, horseradish leaves, last seasons sweet corn, oregano, tarragon, curly parsley.

Theres lots of horseradish so that will be the dominant flavour of the puree Im making.  Herbs just need to be pruned often so some of those going in to.  I think Ill save chive flowers for something else as they are floral/perfume like.

Horseradish leaves taste like the root but not as hot.  I like the body that corn gives to a puree, and its sweetness will push through the heat and balance it too.

Saute it in olive oil and butter.  Oil will absorb herbs aroma and butter and corn is a match made in heaven, maybe a splash of cream and chicken broth.  Ill puree and lay a piece of beef over it.  Maybe a few little pieces of aged cheddar on the side. 

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, soon said:

I neve heard of either and they sound great.  been craving pineapple too.

Something good will come out of any mix of those ingredients!

Ive been ordering delivery groceries and they cant figure out what coconut cream is.  Cant wait for them to figure it out so I can do a coconut curry!!

I was confused for a while, still am a liitle. Recipes say sometimes coconut milk or cream. I've had powder that was coconut cream and already mixed in a triangle carton coconut cream. But also like coconut milk in like a juice box type carton. So maybe they just have coconut milk? The powder is difficult cos you have to measure it out or you get watery disaster. 

Thai green curry and pineapple rice is a good combo. Red curry is better with beef I think. 

But japanese style is really easy just throw the potatoes and carrots oinions in pot, stir around with butter, add water and the curry cube, boil, simmer. They had the curry graded for hotness, and theres these weird flavours like apple. 

1 minute ago, marlingrl03 said:

I cooked up some lemon pepper halibut for lunch today....so damn good. Just wish it wasn't so expensive! 

I had a mackeral with lemon, there were so few bones I was surprised. For 1.50 I expected it to be rough. 

No bones is always a plus! $1.50 per lb? Wow....halibut is like $17 to $19 a lb.

A lb? It was just one fish about as long as this laptop. 

Mackeral is a cheap dirty fish though, but tasty. All that sucking up dirt on the floor pays off. 

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I was confused for a while, still am a liitle. Recipes say sometimes coconut milk or cream. I've had powder that was coconut cream and already mixed in a triangle carton coconut cream. But also like coconut milk in like a juice box type carton. So maybe they just have coconut milk? The powder is difficult cos you have to measure it out or you get watery disaster. 

Thai green curry and pineapple rice is a good combo. Red curry is better with beef I think. 

But japanese style is really easy just throw the potatoes and carrots oinions in pot, stir around with butter, add water and the curry cube, boil, simmer. They had the curry graded for hotness, and theres these weird flavours like apple. 

I am confused myself.   First few orders I said coconut milk and then coconut cream in later orders - for same reason you note..  First delivery it was omitted, second one I got something akin to almond milk or hemp milk.  I used it to cook but it wasnt similar enough to what we're talking about.  Then they sent coconut water (extra that is as it was already in my order, just two differnt size cartons arrived).  Then I called it coconut cream and it was again omitted.  Then next time they sent coconut oil.  Then next time contacted me to ask if I meant a pie.  Ive been making my own from shredded coconut but ran out of that too, plus it not as thick.

I looked up that Indian rice you said earlier and Ive gotta make it, love those flavours.  I think i have had it but didnt know name.  Everything needs to pair with beef now, for the foreseeable future!

Thats a nice japanese recipe, Id like that.  But never apple curry I dont think

18 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I cooked up some lemon pepper halibut for lunch today....so damn good. Just wish it wasn't so expensive! 

sounds tasty!

And below I saw you mention salmon.  I walked directly to freezer and took some out.  You probably get to have it fresh more where you live, but its delicious thawed too!

6 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Ok yeah figured it was just for one piece but thought I would ask. I have never had mackerel. Just cod, Mahi Mahi, halibut and salmon. I live in AK so it's a given that you like fish! :P

Not big on fish really. Fish n chips maybe but thats not about fish. Canned tuna and sardines. Mackeral is like sardines in a way. Had a salmon phase. Ikea salmon, smoked salmon. 

I wish I could chill enough to just have some white fish. 

Actually saw flounder in the supermarket thought they were cheap. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

sounds tasty!

And below I saw you mention salmon.  I walked directly to freezer and took some out.  You probably get to have it fresh more where you live, but its delicious thawed too!

I do eat fresh and sometimes frozen too...keeps pretty well! Salmon is delish! 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

I am confused myself.   First few orders I said coconut milk and then coconut cream in later orders - for same reason you note..  First delivery it was omitted, second one I got something akin to almond milk or hemp milk.  I used it to cook but it wasnt similar enough to what we're talking about.  Then they sent coconut water (extra that is as it was already in my order, just two differnt size cartons arrived).  Then I called it coconut cream and it was again omitted.  Then next time they sent coconut oil.  Then next time contacted me to ask if I meant a pie.  Ive been making my own from shredded coconut but ran out of that too, plus it not as thick.

I looked up that Indian rice you said earlier and Ive gotta make it, love those flavours.  I think i have had it but didnt know name.  Everything needs to pair with beef now, for the foreseeable future!

Thats a nice japanese recipe, Id like that.  But never apple curry I dont think

It's more a curry sauce with apple scent or something. 

I think it's just typical delivery problems. I order stuff and just get red wine or toilet paper. Not exactly what I selected. But you get a free packet of chips so you don't complain. 

Easy too, can grill or just wrap in foil with lemon. Deskinning is optional too. I tend to over cook it though. 

5 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

it really is!  Not that I will use it with this salmon, but as unreasonably large my spice racks are, I need to get some lemon pepper now too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's more a curry sauce with apple scent or something. 

I think it's just typical delivery problems. I order stuff and just get red wine or toilet paper. Not exactly what I selected. But you get a free packet of chips so you don't complain. 

yea, I still dont think I'm into that.

Nothing free arrived yet!  But when i ordered a sauce pan they didnt have t so they went across street and bought one from another shop to send me, so that was really cool.   Its weird about the coconut cream thing because I am working class but it seems like a class thing that the workers dont know coconut cream.  Here Thai and Indian, though restaurants across the price scale exist, isn't neccesarliy popular enough that every one is exposed.  And working class people may be less likely if not from that culture or neighbourhood..  And since Im ordering them it seems Im a person of at least some means. So I seem like this fancy person ordering exotic ingredients and stumping them. Not my favourite feeling.

11 minutes ago, soon said:

yea, I still dont think I'm into that.

Nothing free arrived yet!  But when i ordered a sauce pan they didnt have t so they went across street and bought one from another shop to send me, so that was really cool.   Its weird about the coconut cream thing because I am working class but it seems like a class thing that the workers dont know coconut cream.  Here Thai and Indian, though restaurants across the price scale exist, isn't neccesarliy popular enough that every one is exposed.  And working class people may be less likely if not from that culture or neighbourhood..  And since Im ordering them it seems Im a person of at least some means. So I seem like this fancy person ordering exotic ingredients and stumping them. Not my favourite feeling.

Well, I guess that's always a problem.

I get that constantly more with race, like when I was buying all the japanese stuff they just laughing at me. I was doing it wrong for sure.

I was buying Gin and crisps once and this cashier was like laughing saying Gin and crisps. I mean he doesn't know the context does he? So the Gin could be for my gran and the crisps for my cousin. Little did he know he was right, it was the gin n crisps diet circa 2014.  

Overall they should be more professional but you can't control your thoughts. 

Maybe go to store to get the coconut cream. I like to see what I'm buying. But once I know then online delivery. But yeah they are very casual. Milk I never get the exact one. 

35 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

salmon is my favorite fish. i cook it til the skin it crispy, i like the skin! it also tastes good with just soy sauce sprinkled on it.

many many years ago i dated a guy and he wanted to go on a spur of the moment hunting/fishing trip. he asked if i wanted to go so i said sure ( BIG mistake :lol: ) it was just in the wilderness, no amenities at all. they brought a lot of beer and that was it. they didn't seem to need or want food or water...just beer.. i was standing around watching these guys play poker and they were cooking something on a grill. maybe they sensed i was starving cos they offered me some! my goodness, it was one of the best things i ever tasted. it was salmon cooked on the grill with onions. i have no idea how they seasoned it or even they did season it. one day i need to grill a fresh salmon with onions and see if it's anywhere what i imagine theirs tasted like :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Well, I guess that's always a problem.

I get that constantly more with race, like when I was buying all the japanese stuff they just laughing at me. I was doing it wrong for sure.

I was buying Gin and crisps once and this cashier was like laughing saying Gin and crisps. I mean he doesn't know the context does he? So the Gin could be for my gran and the crisps for my cousin. Little did he know he was right, it was the gin n crisps diet circa 2014.  

Overall they should be more professional but you can't control your thoughts. 

Maybe go to store to get the coconut cream. I like to see what I'm buying. But once I know then online delivery. But yeah they are very casual. Milk I never get the exact one. 

And over time you learned the Japanese thing it sounds like.  My mom ordered a congee once to try something different it arrived looking like a plate of mucous - the whole cheese restaurant were in on the "joke"  it humiliated her to no end.  It was mean and kinda tainted her entire visit.

Gin and crisps diet fad, nice!  Agree, the context is quickly assumed in certain scenarios.

I know they have it.  Before I had mobility issues Id get it there.  Just until the harvest hopefully and then I can a lot my mobility energy to getting my groceries again. Pity as coconut curry feels like a summery thing to me

5 minutes ago, soon said:

And over time you learned the Japanese thing it sounds like.  My mom ordered a congee once to try something different it arrived looking like a plate of mucous - the whole cheese restaurant were in on the "joke"  it humiliated her to no end.  It was mean and kinda tainted her entire visit.

Gin and crisps diet fad, nice!  Agree, the context is quickly assumed in certain scenarios.

I know they have it.  Before I had mobility issues Id get it there.  Just until the harvest hopefully and then I can a lot my mobility energy to getting my groceries again. Pity as coconut curry feels like a summery thing to me

If you have almost any curry powder you could make Cornonation chicken, mixing curry with yogurt and mayo. That's summer to me. Boil the chicken, cool down in fridge. I've seen recipes they use yogurt instead of coconut. 

Congee is big here. Rice and water. No a huge fan. There's whole restaurants dedicated to it. I only have when I have a fever. It's in KFC here now with donut sticks. They sell rice in KFC and McDs. The burger is just put on top of the rice. Just looks weird. 

Cheese restaurant? My friemd got ripped on some 200 dollar bottle of chinese alcohol once. You just say yes in the restaurant don't you sometimes. Some bars in tourist area also double order your bill. If you dont look you get beat. 

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

If you have almost any curry powder you could make Cornonation chicken, mixing curry with yogurt and mayo. That's summer to me. Boil the chicken, cool down in fridge. I've seen recipes they use yogurt instead of coconut. 

Congee is big here. Rice and water. No a huge fan. There's whole restaurants dedicated to it. I only have when I have a fever. It's in KFC here now with donut sticks. They sell rice in KFC and McDs. The burger is just put on top of the rice. Just looks weird. 

Cheese restaurant? My friemd got ripped on some 200 dollar bottle of chinese alcohol once. You just say yes in the restaurant don't you sometimes. Some bars in tourist area also double order your bill. If you dont look you get beat. 

Thats a great idea!  I was meaning to try out the recipe you posted recently bt didnt make the connection here.  Thanks!  Sumer for sure.

This was somehow extra gelatinous.  Thats wild about KFC and McDs!  I gotta look up some pictures of that.

I once traveled to new grok and ordered a canadain club whiskey and paid like 40 bucks for 2 fingers, the irony is what really killed me.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Thats a great idea!  I was meaning to try out the recipe you posted recently bt didnt make the connection here.  Thanks!  Sumer for sure.

This was somehow extra gelatinous.  Thats wild about KFC and McDs!  I gotta look up some pictures of that.

I once traveled to new grok and ordered a canadain club whiskey and paid like 40 bucks for 2 fingers, the irony is what really killed me.

I got a bottle of canadian club whisky for 2 dollars from Aldi once. One of the worst hangovers. 

Thats what I realised if I go expat I 3 dollars for a cherry cola. Or I can get an ice T for 30 cents. 2 Asahi for 16 rmb or 2 Heinekens for 70rmb. My inner cheapskate wins. I'm winning again, I know you like that. 

Oh Chinese not cheese. Congee in the chinese restaurant. Congee is alright if you put enough salt in it, they have this yellow or green almost like cube stuff they mix in. 

Edited by wasted